Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

14 INCH DICK posted:

Not gonna lie, would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

drat timber got expensive, quoted £300 for everything I need for 12' of racking and an 8' bench. I'll try the smaller timber yards next but I suppose if I'm building it strong enough to jump on I'll pay the price.

Phone chat: anyone got a dual SIM phone? I could really benefit from one but I also want 4g.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I'm still annoyed Apple went and made the phone bigger. Having the 6 for a year now or whatever I would still have chosen the option of a smaller phone. This is the only one I've put in a case (the apple leather one) BECAUSE I HAD TO, slippery drat thing, and a protruding camera on the back? Not everyone has hands like bananas. The 6 plus is so big and unwieldy I would hate every second of owning it. My iPhone 4S is still my favorite device I ever had. The Touch ID, slowmo videos, LTE, and NFC are the added things I've appreciated.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I had a recent (2015?) Kia Rio GDI as a rental for the last few days and I kind of liked it. I'd consider a 6 speed manual one for myself.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rule number 10: no safe words.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

drat timber got expensive, quoted £300 for everything I need for 12' of racking and an 8' bench. I'll try the smaller timber yards next but I suppose if I'm building it strong enough to jump on I'll pay the price.

Phone chat: anyone got a dual SIM phone? I could really benefit from one but I also want 4g.

I run a Motorola Moto G and use both sim functions (Vodafone contract as main and giffgaff PAYG as backup) and it does come in handy to have both.
Does everything I need it to do (phone functions, snapchat, facebook, awful app)
The newest/next model is 4G enabled

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-4g-white/631-6473.prd

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's not dual SIM sadly. A 16 GB dual SIM 4G moto g would be great, I'm sure they'll release that combo at some point.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

drat RiFF RAFF definitely did a cycle or two, dude's arms look twice as big as in his last video.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just got off the phone with interview #2 at a place that called me out of the blue for the same thing I do now. The starting pay is a window of +10-25k more than what I make now. Bills are getting paid just fine but I'm not rolling in money or anything so the extra bump would definitely be appreciated. Negatives? Losing out on 5k cash due to an acquisition I wouldn't be around for in 6 months, adds 5 miles to my commute and leaving a place I've worked at for 13 years is straight up loving terrifying.

Of course this is all moot if I don't proceed to interview #3 but my anxiety is through the roof. Just gonna drink until Murphy's Law kicks in. I fear change at a fundamental level.

What's up, Metathesiophobia buddy?
I'm still working for an Indian outsourcer even though I, well, don't hate it, but it's not who I'd prefer to be working for. Mind you, I'm still at the the company I was working for when they outsourced, so there's that.

BloodBag posted:

Bolded: destiny.txt

Bungie had such an amazing track record, it had amazing reviews.... and then they dropped a Cleveland Steamer right on everyone's collective chest. What a loving letdown.

I enjoyed Destiny right up until I discovered that the only way to go beyond level 20 was to grind endlessly for gear with Light, and gently caress that. I don't mind playing a lot or even grinding a little if I earn XP, but gently caress that poo poo where I can only go higher by lucking into special snowflake bullshit, or grinding to get Strange Coins to buy it. Pretty loving annoying when you play solo.
To their credit, they will no longer do this in The Taken King expansion.

Today's Penny Arcade (my hosting):

He's not wrong. I am staying up way too late way too often for this game.

Did anyone else notice that completing the game gets you the Black-on-black back in your garage?

Pham Nuwen posted:

I had a recent (2015?) Kia Rio GDI as a rental for the last few days and I kind of liked it. I'd consider a 6 speed manual one for myself.

The 2016 Hyundai Accent (should be same platform/drivetrain as a Rio) I had as a rental was decent with the automatic. Probably would have been just nifty with the 6-speed.

14 INCH DICK posted:

I JUST SAW THE LAST SHOWING ON A MOVIE THAT WAS ONLY IN THEATERS IN SEATTLE FOR ONE loving WEEK AND IT EASILY RIVALS FURY ROAD FOR A MOVIE THAT IS PERFECT IN EVERY loving WAY AND IF ANY OF YOU CHECK YOUR CITIES FOR ANY SHOWS AND THERE HAPPENS TO BE ONE DROP YOUR loving PLANS DROP YOUR PANTS AND PREPARE TO MASTURBATE LIKE YOU'RE PEE WEE HERMAN AT A 24 HOUR ALL YOU CAN SEE BONANZA

alamo Drafthouse here in Dallas has it. Beer, burger, and cheesy movie. They're actually how I heard about it, in their emails. Trailer looks fantastic, like the '80s B-movies distilled.

Negromancer posted:

I don't know how I did not hear about this movie sooner, but it is on Amazon Prime streamin. I know what I am watching tonight.

Sweet!
Still may go see it at the Drafthouse, just because.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Noise Complaint posted:

You get a LOT of live racing too, that's what swayed me. Here's the list of events from their site.

Wait so is all of this viewable online and not live? If so that's a killer amount of racing for the price. I paid a hilarious amount of money for my MotoGP pass and wouldn't mind getting my racing fix on off weeks.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm still annoyed Apple went and made the phone bigger. Having the 6 for a year now or whatever I would still have chosen the option of a smaller phone. This is the only one I've put in a case (the apple leather one) BECAUSE I HAD TO, slippery drat thing, and a protruding camera on the back? Not everyone has hands like bananas. The 6 plus is so big and unwieldy I would hate every second of owning it. My iPhone 4S is still my favorite device I ever had. The Touch ID, slowmo videos, LTE, and NFC are the added things I've appreciated.

I don't have big hands at all and you are so wrong. Holding a 4s after having my 6+ for a year is a shock. I've literally said "how did I use this tiny thing?" The 4s feels like baby's first phone. The 6+ however has made my tablet start gathering dust.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meatpimp posted:

drat, I forgot about that... I've got a cutter for regular-to-micro... I should have just grabbed a cutter for micro-to-nano. I'll try cutting mine down, though. Thanks for the reminder!

My current SIM started out as a mini-SIM, then I cut it down to a micro-SIM for my iPhone4, then again to nano-SIM for the 5s. Each time just with scissors. Works out fine. There are cutting templates on the internet, if you don't have a real nano to compare against.

Coredump posted:

I don't have big hands at all and you are so wrong. Holding a 4s after having my 6+ for a year is a shock. I've literally said "how did I use this tiny thing?" The 4s feels like baby's first phone. The 6+ however has made my tablet start gathering dust.

I do have big hands, and I think my 4 was the perfect size. I've gotten used to the 5s, but I don't think it's ideal. I've played with a 6, and while it's usable, it's ungainly. Not comfortable to use long term, although I could make it work. The 6+ is just too loving big, though.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My Galaxy S6 isn't big enough. As long as it fits in my pocket I was the biggest screen possible. My girl's entire iPhone fits inside my screen, it's like a little toy you get in a Happy Meal.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Bought License to Ill on vinyl for two bucks earlier. Day is made.

And also a backstreet boys 45, cause that poo poo is hilarious. Oh, and Warrant - Sure Feels good to me.

I love cheap, cheesy vinyl.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Getting used to a phablet takes some time but I don't know if I could go back to a smaller phone. It's really nice.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Raluek posted:

I do have big hands, and I think my 4 was the perfect size. I've gotten used to the 5s, but I don't think it's ideal. I've played with a 6, and while it's usable, it's ungainly. Not comfortable to use long term, although I could make it work. The 6+ is just too loving big, though.

My man! :buddy: the stainless band, white glass back, a nice heft to it. Perfect!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My man! :buddy: the stainless band, white glass back, a nice heft to it. Perfect!

Yeah. If I could get the guts (and touchID) of the 5S in a 4 body, I would do it in an instant. Tim is no Steve, though, so we're stuck with these idiot hugephone abominations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ew, Apple.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

Ew, Apple.

Yeah, god forbid someone tries to actually make a nice experience for the user.

I've never met an android phone that wasn't a janky unresponsive piece of crashy garbage, but this isn't yospos so I guess I'll leave it at that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Craigslist nonsense? Never.

Took a look at a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero. Original owner, small Turkish woman and her husband. They spoke English pretty well, so language wasn't an issue. Truck has 144k miles on it, I don't think it's seen anything other than an oil change. Timing belt never done (she said that her car doesn't have a timing belt). A whole bunch of codes from o2 sensor, misfires, coolant coming up to temperature... sounds like a beat-to-poo poo garbage box.

But it wasn't. It was an honest car. I know that catching it up on maintenance, fluids, plugs, timing belt, all that jazz, would make it a great car. It drove like someone had taken care of it all its life... just the kind of car I like.

Listing on craigslist also had no way to contact the owner. No phone number, no email. It was marked nearby on the map, so I found it that way and left a note on the window.

So it got down to price. Listing on craigslist had it at $2200. I told her that I would give her $2200 for it right now if it didn't have a timing belt, like she said. But then, I said, it does. And it's a $700-900 job. To which she replied "Oh no, I can't sell it for $2200" :wtf: So I pulled out the craigslist ad and she said that her son made the ad.

By the time I left, she was coming around to the $2200, but I am in the $1600-1800 range, due to the work that it absolutely needs. So she said that she'd think about it and get back to me.

It's like a lost mongrel puppy... I just want to bring it home, clean it up and make it happy. :unsmith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

I've never met an android phone that wasn't a janky unresponsive piece of crashy garbage, but this isn't yospos so I guess I'll leave it at that.

:shrug: And I've never had one that did that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: And I've never had one that did that.

I've had android phones for a while. And I have an iphone 5 for the Flir One. The iphone is good, in a very limited, limiting way. The touch response is better than any android I've had. The rest, though, feels like Apple wants you to keep your hands to yourself and just let Apple tell you what you want. Android is more like "yeah, man, tear that poo poo up." I prefer Android.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I've had android phones for a while. And I have an iphone 5 for the Flir One. The iphone is good, in a very limited, limiting way. The touch response is better than any android I've had. The rest, though, feels like Apple wants you to keep your hands to yourself and just let Apple tell you what you want. Android is more like "yeah, man, tear that poo poo up." I prefer Android.

I know, I'm just ragging him. I cannot stand the iPhone because it is so locked down. Its like playing with a kids toy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Apple=BMW
Android=Mustang

:iiaca:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Bought License to Ill on vinyl for two bucks earlier. Day is made.

And also a backstreet boys 45, cause that poo poo is hilarious. Oh, and Warrant - Sure Feels good to me.

I love cheap, cheesy vinyl.

I met Warrant when I was stationed in Japan, partied with them all night and Jani Lane paid for all the drinks. I was sad when I heard he died, he was a cool guy :smith:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Raluek posted:

If by nice user experience you mean "Apple will tell you what to do and you're going to sit there and like it because what the gently caress do you know you stupid pleb? Do you know who Steve Jobs is?!?!"

Then yes I couldn't agree more.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Raluek posted:

Obvious non-Nexus-user here. I treat people with touchwiz with as much disdain as I do people with iPhones.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If you judge people based on what kind of OS their phone has you should probably loving kill yourself, hth

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

If you judge people based on what kind of OS their phone has you should probably loving kill yourself, hth

Iphone user spotted :smuggo:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Terrible Robot posted:

Too much of a pussy :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Iphone user spotted :smuggo:

It goes both ways, smug iPhone users are just as bad as smug Android people. It's a goddamn phone, pick whatever flavor makes you happy and shut the gently caress up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

It goes both ways, smug iPhone users are just as bad as smug Android people. It's a goddamn phone, pick whatever flavor makes you happy and shut the gently caress up.

:ssh: I don't really care, I just like riling people up.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I'm all moved into my new apartment!* Living in NH has already saved me money. My car insurance went from around $900 every six months to $505 :stare:. It is a bit lonely though with most of the people I know being over three hours away.

*I have internet and a place to sleep.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Where are you getting prices from? I always use my local builders merchant. They don't cut it (you can cut it yourself in the carpark if you like) and I usually save on delivery charges by driving it the 1 mile home with it threaded right through the landy via the bulkhead vents and the back catflap.

Rough sawn 3"x2" in 4.8m lengths is about £4+VAT and rough sawn 4"x2" is something like £5.50+VAT ish per length.

I can't find a reciept handy at the moment for any rough, but I bought some easi-edge stuff recently (the planed, kiln dried C16/C24 stuff) and that was £7.80+VAT for 4"x2" or £6+VAT for 3"x2 (both 4.8m lengths)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I went Goodwill hunting today. Theres a Goodwill thst doesn't price things, they sell it all unsorted piled in giant troughs by the pound.

First up found a bag I decided I needed.

This camera as is, seemed dusty but otherwise fully intact.

Found this one bin over from the camera.

Also appeared to be completely undamaged or scratched.

A brand new in packaging Dirty Jobs beanie!

Oh and some pants.

Total out the door price for everything was eight and a half bucks.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Terrible Robot posted:

In more mobile phone OS related chat, it looks like you can now finally run android apps on Windows phone 10. Has anybody tried it yet?

I'm trying to build up the courage to upgrade my phone to 10 again as I tried it when it was first released and it was poo poo so I went back to 8.1

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tomarse posted:

In more mobile phone OS related chat, it looks like you can now finally run android apps on Windows phone 10. Has anybody tried it yet?

I'm trying to build up the courage to upgrade my phone to 10 again as I tried it when it was first released and it was poo poo so I went back to 8.1

I want to try 10 but I don't really want to experiment with my phone.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

SFH1989 posted:

I'm all moved into my new apartment!* Living in NH has already saved me money. My car insurance went from around $900 every six months to $505 :stare:. It is a bit lonely though with most of the people I know being over three hours away.

*I have internet and a place to sleep.

You near Plymouth? Been working there the past few months and I'll be back again from Tuesday to Friday.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

I met Warrant when I was stationed in Japan, partied with them all night and Jani Lane paid for all the drinks. I was sad when I heard he died, he was a cool guy :smith:

You really are old.

But that sounds loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oh man

i got a bottle of Souther Tier Warlock imperial stout on an impulse

i had loving forgotten how delicious that style of beer is

• Locked thread