Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Process auditor comes in, tells us we have a problem because recorded test results can be modified (even though this would be tracked automatically). Solution: create a process document saying modifying recorded test results is not allowed. Process auditor thinks this is just dandy and we're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
thats actually a legit thing.

Auditors in general don't want to stop you from doing $THING, they just care that you can track whomever does $THING, and that processes and procedures are in place so people know if $THING is okay to do or not.

So if you track changes to $THING, great!

There are plenty of times many of us have had to deal with edge cases, and do things we normally should never have to do or be allowed to do. Sometimes, it happens. So we track those instead of banning them completely. Then the auditor can go, "hey, why did $GOON do $THING?" and you can go back and find out why.

If you go, "hey, when did $THING change?" and nobody can point to it, then you're in trouble...

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 3, 2015

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Word to my VoIP homies.

Don't ever use classical string quartet elevator music as your hold tunes. Might sound like a good idea, but those highs and lows in the down-conversion to 8khz. Holy poo poo. :barf:

I mean you, AT&T.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Man, I get that certain problems are quite scary and problematic for the the business, but I wish people would just chill the gently caress out and let me get on with resolving poo poo and stop beating around the bush when I need information from them.

I had the director on my rear end all day because his phone calendar wasn't syncing fast enough, and leads coming through E-mail had suddenly stopped (never mind the fact that we have like 200,000 to use on the CRM).

I found this weird system where they would get an E-mail from [Address1] alerting them a lead was incoming, then a message from [Address2] would contain the information. Pretty dumb but whatever, mails from [Address1] would come in fine but today nothing is coming from [Address2], looking over the spam filter logs the missing messages aren't even reaching us. Of course everyone is bleating at me "They were working fine yesterday it MUST be us!", I get the provider to send something to me and report back any errors.

Boom; send failure IP, address is on a few blacklists. Tell them to get it sorted, and tell director again that it's loving not our problem.

I also wish people would use their senses and realise I'm loving busy and to piss off with their questions, this isn't an apple genius bar this is full force crisis mode. Maybe I should just wear my bike helmet with black visor and stitch my left arm to be in permanent middle finger mode.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
... terrorists that win. :smith:

http://decryptcryptolocker.com/

Then again, with so many variants on this, this site rarely worked for my customers.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't even understand what they're saying - their product helps people with Cryptolocker, but since there's other attacks now too, they're packing it in?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't even understand what they're saying - their product helps people with Cryptolocker, but since there's other attacks now too, they're packing it in?

Translation: They got paid off by the Russian Mob.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's sad but the site has never once worked for me over about a dozen infections, none of my clients ever seemed to get the right variant.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Swink posted:

Does a product like this exist?
I believe Kodak has products that can do this. No idea on pricing.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I made a purchase on the Apple App store for our department. I work at a University, and we're tax-exempt. It's a big deal when we pay tax apparently, and I have to get it refunded. My mistake.

Basically I have to email them our tax exempt certificate and some other information... I did so, and then I got this;

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for your email. Our current response time for processing an iTunes tax refund request is 2 - 3 weeks.

Please be advised that we handle requests on a “first-in, first-out”
basis.

Repeated requests will only delay the process. We appreciate your patience.

****Please do not reply to this email.*****

Best Regards,

Apple Tax Operations Team

:sigh:

Also, learning everything I needed to do and gathering all the necessary stuff took me like an hour. The tax was less than $2.00. I make a bit more than that per hour... I offered to pay the difference myself but apparently that doesn't work. :shrug:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If they're handling requests on a first-in, first-out basis, how could repeated requests delay the process? Seems to me that they wouldn't see those requests until after they've processed your refund. Hammer the poo poo out of em.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think they're saying "The vast majority of the variationss of cryptolocker we can't help with, so we just don't want to deal with it anymore."

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If they're handling requests on a first-in, first-out basis, how could repeated requests delay the process? Seems to me that they wouldn't see those requests until after they've processed your refund. Hammer the poo poo out of em.

It sounds like they treat repeated requests as though they're brand new requests, and send you to the back of the queue even if you've been waiting 2 weeks already.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gounads posted:

I think they're saying "The vast majority of the variationss of cryptolocker we can't help with, so we just don't want to deal with it anymore."
Plus they probably had to put up with a billion HEY THIS SITE DOESN'T WORK FOR ME HOW DO I MAKE IT WORK I NEED MY FILES requests over the past year

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

It sounds like they treat repeated requests as though they're brand new requests, and send you to the back of the queue even if you've been waiting 2 weeks already.

They're like the Soup Nazi of Tax Refunds.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

n3rdal3rt posted:

EMC Captiva can do that plus some but its sold by EMC so its not cheap. It can do a lot of stuff so setup can be a hassle too.

To add to the "setup can be a hassle" piece, our development team has been trying to integrate this into our infrastructure for 2+ years now. They've mostly failed.

The implementation is a huge can of worms with individual components that have their own nuances in how/where/why they operate. I don't envy anyone that is in the position of developing for it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It probably means "it will delay the entire process for people other than you".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

anthonypants posted:

Plus they probably had to put up with a billion HEY THIS SITE DOESN'T WORK FOR ME HOW DO I MAKE IT WORK I NEED MY FILES requests over the past year

Agreed, I got to the point of telling any clients without backups that they're basically hosed & getting reimaged. Ones that haven't been hit with crypto pretty much jumped at the chance to get on our backup software & plan. After spending 2 days at a client whose server & 7 PCs got hit, our rule has been to wipe & reload, no point in risking infection on other machines.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Agrikk posted:

I once Snapped at an intern so hard he left my office in tears. I felt bad for doing it afterwards, but man I tore his head off while working on some TSQL- I was sitting in my office with the door closed, hoodie up and headphones on. I'd been sitting so still that the motion sensors turned off the light and I hadn't noticed.

He came in to ask me a question or something and the door opened and the lights turned on and startled me out of my Zone and I let him have it.

This warms the cockles of my dark heart. I've been having a rough time with an interrupting QA person recently, exacerbated by the fact that half the time it's a rubber-duck where they interrupt me, get halfway into a question, and realize the answer while explaining it.

The other half of the time the questions are of the "well, you're still breathing, so apparently you at least have a brain stem" variety.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Is there a "gently caress doing IT for family" thread? Or is that here?

Because today I had the 2015 equivalent of "hey, you're a computer guy, can you set my VCR clock": "hey, you're a computer guy, can you help me set up my two cable boxes, blu-ray player, TV, and make it all work with my circa 2000 surround sound system?"

I dig my immediate blood-family. My stepdad needs to not try to move a loving TV stand while poundin' back bud lights though, Jesus Christ, no wonder you spilled one. Also, drinking poo poo beer like water + trying to set up an old-school speaker-wire-and-clamps system = me being surprised he only broke the end of one of the six speaker wires. :downs:

I don't think I could ever become an alcoholic. I pride myself on not loving everything up too much.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Kazinsal posted:

Because today I had the 2015 equivalent of "hey, you're a computer guy, can you set my VCR clock": "hey, you're a computer guy, can you help me set up my two cable boxes, blu-ray player, TV, and make it all work with my circa 2000 surround sound system?"

I dig my immediate blood-family. My stepdad needs to not try to move a loving TV stand while poundin' back bud lights though, Jesus Christ, no wonder you spilled one. Also, drinking poo poo beer like water + trying to set up an old-school speaker-wire-and-clamps system = me being surprised he only broke the end of one of the six speaker wires. :downs:

I don't think I could ever become an alcoholic. I pride myself on not loving everything up too much.

If you work in IT and don't think you'll become an alcoholic... :roflolmao:

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 4, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

To add to the "setup can be a hassle" piece, our development team has been trying to integrate this into our infrastructure for 2+ years now. They've mostly failed.

The implementation is a huge can of worms with individual components that have their own nuances in how/where/why they operate. I don't envy anyone that is in the position of developing for it.

We have Toshiba copiers so our copier company resells the Toshiba workflow software. It is exactly how you expect software from Toshiba to be: terrible. Hardware companies cannot make software.

Papercut on the other hand is glorious software and I will always praise it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cactus Jack posted:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Breaking point, step 1.

I'm removing myself from a few alerting distros. If no one's going to take action on this alert spam, I'm just not going to see it anymore. The gently caress do I care if it's down.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Swink posted:

Hardware companies cannot make software.

Now you mention it, I do realise that I've got a lot of software from some huge (multinational) hardware companies that looks like it was written as a Computer Science third year project.

These guys could buy major, competent software houses just to write one accompanying app and it wouldn't even make a bump in their bottom line

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

spog posted:

Now you mention it, I do realise that I've got a lot of software from some huge (multinational) hardware companies that looks like it was written as a Computer Science third year project.
Hewlett-Packard! :argh:

I love HP switches and servers and I can even begrudgingly accept their printers, but any software they puke out is completely awful.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Digital made excellent hardware and software.

Then they got bought by Compaq, who apparently didn't realize that Digital made software too until after the takeover.

Then HP bought Compaq, and everything went down the shitter.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cactus Jack posted:

I actually did. It really sucks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Alcoholism or working in IT?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Why not both?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kazinsal posted:

This is why I'm SO glad my stepdad has been in IT for decades, starting back when he was in the military. He'll ask me about newer stuff that he hasn't messed with before, but otherwise he knows his tech so all I need to do is help pull cable or make sure things are hooked up right. He's actually a big reason I got into computers in junior high, although some days I kinda wish I hadn't gone into IT because some people can be loving dense when it comes to the simplest instructions. Thankfully not an alcoholic, I drink on occasion but my biological dad turned himself into an alcoholic and drug addict, so with the power of common sense I avoided his situation altogether.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'll start fixing computers for family the same day my auto mechanic cousin comes over and changes my oil.

So never.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'll start fixing computers for family the same day my auto mechanic cousin comes over and changes my oil.

So never.

My dad helps me do oil changes and rotations for free so... :smith:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The other guys cracked a dumb joke but I'll lend an ear - did you get help and get through it?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Honestly, wounded vet moving into IT sounds like one of the worst combinations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

spog posted:

Alcoholism. And I've been sober for fourteen years now so I'm good. IT drove me to it.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Honestly, wounded vet moving into IT sounds like one of the worst combinations.

Oh absolutely. Both contributed.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 4, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I hope you don't think it's creepy or anything that I remember that about you. I just remember you from TFR as the one who can authoritatively tell people that 5.56 isn't "basically a .22."

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

spog posted:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Alcoholism. And I've been sober for fourteen years now so I'm good. IT drove me to it.

Yeah, there's quite a few of us IT guys in this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375646

Edit: To contribute to things pissing me off. My VP has been dancing around this idea of a re-org for at least a year. My director left 6 months ago leaving a great opening to make some changes but he is so deliberate or overcautious or whatever to pull the trigger on this thing until it is just right. Meanwhile me and my manager have been picking up all this slack from our missing director and getting burnt the hell out.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 4, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tomapot posted:

Yeah, there's quite a few of us IT guys in this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375646

Edit: To contribute to things pissing me off. My VP has been dancing around this idea of a re-org for at least a year. My director left 6 months ago leaving a great opening to make some changes but he is so deliberate or overcautious or whatever to pull the trigger on this thing until it is just right. Meanwhile me and my manager have been picking up all this slack from our missing director and getting burnt the hell out.

is there a thing like this for smoking? Cuz I am totally trying to kick the deathsticks.

Just fine with my drinking tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Daily dose of gently caress PRINTERS.

I have a user that brought in a first gen Surface and it wont print to the office printer. Adds the printer fine, installed drivers, re-installed drivers, can ping the printer, can otherwise communicate with the printer in every way it should. Sends test pages to the spooler, which queues it, which sends to the printer, and the printer prints dick all. Can the next hour please hurry up so I can leave this poo poo behind me until Tuesday?