Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stereotype posted:

Are they seriously arguing that she actually did comply with the court order? Or that the court order was invalid because she disagrees with it?

I think they're going to go for the I'm rubber, you're glue defense.

Samurai Sanders posted:

From her arguments it sounds like she thinks the government's power is entirely derived from her own personal God. If you think of it that way than it all makes sense.

Which is about a fart's distance away from being a straight up sovereign citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dalael posted:

I wonder how she'd feel if a muslim (fanatic or extremist (not moderate)) guy refused to give her a driving license at the DMV based on his religious belief that woman shouldn't be driving. I'm sure she'd nod, apologize for trying to breach his religious right and then go on her merry way without ever driving ever again.

I know exactly how she'd feel.

e: hahaha

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 4, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Does this mean she could find herself in Federal prison for contempt?

:suspense:

Possibly, Rule 42 is very clear that statutory limits on imprisonment, fines or other punishments do not apply to

Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure 42 §402 posted:

contempts committed in disobedience of any lawful writ, process, order, rule, decree, or command entered in any suit or action brought or prosecuted in the name of, or on behalf of, the United States.

Theoretically she could be held in federal custody until she is no longer the clerk.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nah, you don't get tossed in a prison proper unless you're tried for something, convicted, and sentenced to do so. She'll just be held in a regular old jail until she complies or maybe someone (the state legislature or whatever) somehow caves and arranges some compromise.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Samurai Sanders posted:

From her arguments it sounds like she thinks the government's power is entirely derived from her own personal God. If you think of it that way than it all makes sense.

Not only will she be found in contempt of a Federal court, any lawyer taking up this nonsense will be disbarred.

This is going to be magical. :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Oh that Trump, always throwing Christians in jail.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh that Trump, always throwing Christians in jail.

It's cause he said on the issue "We're a nation of laws".

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

In an 8-1 decision, the supreme court has ruled that Kim Davis is dumb as hell.
Scalia! :argh:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

It actually might be the best way to make america great again

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Only Bobby Jindal has the courage to stand up to the government in the name of Personal Jesus.

reach out and touch faith mow mow na now mow mow

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Oh, so it's not COMPLETELY baseless idiocy this time.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Just spitballing here, but have we actually tried throwing all the christians in jail? Maybe Trump's onto something. We should should at least not rule it out.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So she was supposed to issue marriage licenses to gay couples by supreme court ruling, and is now appealing her refusal to do so to the supreme court....what's the juris expression for "did I stutter?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OAquinas posted:

So she was supposed to issue marriage licenses to gay couples by supreme court ruling, and is now appealing her refusal to do so to the supreme court....what's the juris expression for "did I stutter?"

She's not appealing to SCOTUS yet that was just hilarious editorializing on my part as well as a cautionary tale in not reading posted articles before commenting on them.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ReidRansom posted:

Just spitballing here, but have we actually tried throwing all the christians in jail? Maybe Trump's onto something. We should should at least not rule it out.

Or possibly never throwing any christians in jail ever again for any reason?? Lots of good ideas here!! I think Jindal might be right on this one and we should abolish laws and jails.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Obviously this ain't it, but it'd really be perfect if what ultimately causes Trump's downfall is him expressing an opinion that is both genuinely sane and genuinely conservative

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I wonder what they think about the airline that suspended a Muslim flight attendant for refusing to handle alcohol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LGD posted:

Obviously this ain't it, but it'd really be perfect if what ultimately causes Trump's downfall is him expressing an opinion that is both genuinely sane and genuinely conservative

He also said he wouldn't void the Iran deal because you can't just tear up contracts because "life doesn't work that way".

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Trump is going to lose the election because he isn't crazy and irrational enough

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

Trump is going to lose the election because he isn't crazy and irrational enough
Oh god I love this world we now live in.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Stereotype posted:

He was, but then he killed his campaign by signing that pledge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If we can say that jackass was thrown in jail because she is a christian and not because she was a government official refusing to follow lawful court orders, then we ought to be assigning more adverse behavior to christian religious beliefs. I bet a lot of the mass shooters were baptized as one form of Christian as a baby, that's good enough.

(This is how a lot of the world works when discussing violence in the Muslim world - never mind the secular political or social conflict, it's definitely Islam :rolleye:)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OAquinas posted:

because she thinks she is the brave underdog against the satanic gays. and that all the justices will be brought to tears by here plight and the scourging of the browns and devients can begin or some poo poo like that.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mulva posted:

He was, but then he killed his campaign by signing that pledge.

what if he signed it just so he could break it later...

whoa

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

8-1s are usually Thomas role playing a judge from the 1840s.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

hobbesmaster posted:

But in this case the dissenting justice will be RBG, because (a) she knows that there will be a majority ruling for contempt anyway, and (b) gotta be unpredictable and keep motherfuckers on their toes.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Real Foogla posted:

whoa

Hurts him more, especially now that the others can really go after him. He really was better off being non-commital.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Real Foogla posted:

whoa

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Impeach, IMO.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
It's still weird to see a president that doesn't look totally terrified and confused by kids after 8 years of Bush.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

Impeach, IMO.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

White?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

the fairy bottle edit of this gif is the best

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

zoux posted:

"Hey, Bobby, you can't make America Great Again (TM) by being a non-polling little pissbitch."

loving A, they write themselves!!!!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
You may remember this from 2007: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA9KC8SMu3o

And obviously, that was just talk and he never did anything remotely close

However, today in Cedar Rapids Bernie Sanders did briefly join in the picket line with protesting workers

Video embedded in tweet

Interesting times.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I think they should just tell the Kentucky court clerk that every gay couple she marries have promised to convert to Christianity and get baptized and if she tries to check up on them tell her it's none of her business. Problem solved.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ohtsam posted:

So does this mean legality in Kansas is a game of calvinball now. Can the legislature just write a bunch of blatantly unconstitutional laws and have the executive enforce them with no possible recourse for those affected as long the courts remain defunded?

The federal courts still work and striking down unconstitutional law is something they can and will happily do against a state that's attacking the judiciary.

zoux posted:

oh ho ho ho

Death by guillotine is too good for some people.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We aren't nearly that lucky.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh god I love this world we now live in.

Up until the point where we discover just what kind of frothing eldritch lunatic it takes to get the nomination.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Internet Webguy posted:

I think they should just tell the Kentucky court clerk that every gay couple she marries have promised to convert to Christianity and get baptized and if she tries to check up on them tell her it's none of her business. Problem solved.

Or just introduce her to a happily gay married Christian couple from her local Lutheran church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since Kim Davis is being held in contempt of court from a federal judge, is there any chance she could get charged with a felony if she continues to ignore the court order? The irony of a right wing "Jesus warrior" being banned from voting (or owning a gun) would be pretty amazing, but I'm assuming that she won't face any more serious consequences than the current jail stint.

• Locked thread