Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thanks both. It turns out she's likely able to stay covered by the University for one more year (she's part time USGS until she finishes the PhD in May) for like $300/semester, so we're going to do that for now and then I'll switch to her Federal insurance once she goes full time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Today I got a message that after review of my application, I am qualified for the position. I get a notice of results (NOR) letter like so:

Fed posted:

Spec Code: 001
Spec Title: Senior Attorney Advisor
Grade: 15
Rating: EL
Rating Code: EL
Rating Message: You are eligible for this specialty and grade.

Then this is followed up a few hours later

Fed posted:

We have carefully reviewed your application and determined that you are not eligible/qualified for this position for the following reason:
Spec Code: 001
Spec Title: Senior Attorney Advisor
Grade: 15
Rating: IFM
Vet Pref: NV
Rating Code: IFM
Rating Message: Ineligible Forms Missing (You did not submit all the required forms as specified in the announcement).

Thing is, I submitted all of the forms specified in the announcement. All it asked for was my resume (though USAJobs) and completing the questionnaire, which I did. Also, the application was designated "complete," not "incomplete," well before closing, and only now is being classified as incomplete.

This isn't the first application that I've had rejected because I supposedly didn't submit all the required forms when I actually did, but it is the first time through USAJobs. Is there any point in trying to contact them to figure it out? I've also been referred for several very similar jobs with similar if not identical document requirements, so I have no idea why they bounced this one.

e. I suppose it's possible that they reviewed my qualifications and decided that they weren't supported enough by my resume (there are some specific KSA that I don't really have, though I have something analogous), but wouldn't they just say "not referred/unqualified," rather than IFM?

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 26, 2015

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It is worth contacting, even if just so you know what to do next time. A similar issue with documentation occurred a month ago, and I emailed asking for clarification, they found it was an error on their end.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So it is common for an agency hiring you to not contact you for a month at a time? I was given a verbal intent-to-hire message in early July, saying that they would contact me later after the paperwork on the back end was finished. But after contacting them every couple of weeks to ask if there were any updates, I haven't heard from that at all a week after my last email. Should I just assume the opportunity fell through for some reason and stop trying to plan around getting an offer? I already started sending out resumes again after the third week of no-progress so I'm not entirely boned.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think it was 6 weeks between my tentative offer and my actual entrance on duty date; granted that was a written tentative offer, but overall a month does not sound unreasonable to me. Well, unreasonable in this context.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Today I got a message that after review of my application, I am qualified for the position. I get a notice of results (NOR) letter like so:

I know some agencies (mine does this all the time) have a nasty habit of putting in USA Jobs that the only document required is a resume. But then inside they have an attached document or link that then asks for something else, often college/grad transcripts. Thus when you submit the package to USA Jobs it sees it as complete because they only told USA Jobs to look for a resume. But when it gets to their system or HR people they see it as incomplete because they had some line somewhere not easily viewable that asked for a transcript or something else.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

So it is common for an agency hiring you to not contact you for a month at a time?

The first time I got an offer for a Federal job I was told due to funding issues they could not hire me immediately and they would call me "soon" to arrange the official offer and a start date. "Soon" was 10 months later. I had gotten a different Fed job in the interim, even though I was not targeting Fed jobs specifically, kind of just a coincidence. So no need to assume the worst, but also no reason not too keep applying elsewhere.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That's almost exactly what they told me by phone. So, I was guessing that their funding fell through or some other such problem. It would be nice for them to say so, though. At this point I'll keep my eye out for it, but assume it's not coming in any useful time frame.

Worst part is that doing this took up 3 months of my non competitive eligibility :smithicide:

Doctor Bovine
Aug 7, 2007
Proud graduate of Bovine University

Slaan posted:

That's almost exactly what they told me by phone. So, I was guessing that their funding fell through or some other such problem. It would be nice for them to say so, though. At this point I'll keep my eye out for it, but assume it's not coming in any useful time frame.

Worst part is that doing this took up 3 months of my non competitive eligibility :smithicide:

I got impatient and called my boss-to-be and she isn't sure why they didn't contact me last week with an offer. But I'm going to feel uneasy until I get something in writing. You could consider calling to ask for an update if it's been a month already.

They made the tentative offer more than two months ago, and I stopped applying to jobs at that point. My RPCV NCE is up this month, so if this doesn't work out I'll be less than thrilled.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

e_wraith posted:

I know some agencies (mine does this all the time) have a nasty habit of putting in USA Jobs that the only document required is a resume. But then inside they have an attached document or link that then asks for something else, often college/grad transcripts. Thus when you submit the package to USA Jobs it sees it as complete because they only told USA Jobs to look for a resume. But when it gets to their system or HR people they see it as incomplete because they had some line somewhere not easily viewable that asked for a transcript or something else.

Yep, this was it. Despite there being a section that says "Required Documents" that only lists the resume/questionnaire, buried in the listing nowhere near the "required documents" is a paragraph that says I need to submit a copy of my bar card or printout from the state bar showing my license is active. Pretty dumb considering all you have to do is search my name in the bar database, but there it is and it's on me for not seeing that paragraph (and I routinely submit proof of good standing for other jobs when it's listed).

Lesson learned.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Doctor Bovine posted:

I got impatient and called my boss-to-be and she isn't sure why they didn't contact me last week with an offer. But I'm going to feel uneasy until I get something in writing. You could consider calling to ask for an update if it's been a month already.

They made the tentative offer more than two months ago, and I stopped applying to jobs at that point. My RPCV NCE is up this month, so if this doesn't work out I'll be less than thrilled.

I called up my place just now. And they said a new manager that came in this month stopped all new hires. So now I'm waiting on a four jobs I applied to last week and five more this week.

I'm hoping the job I had an informational interview with last week goes through. They told me to apply to USAJOBs already, so I'm hoping. :supaburn:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So I have a temp seasonal gig with the BLM now, and I'm putting in my applications for other similar positions. About 24 hours after I put in an app for one of those continually open recruitment postings, I get an email saying my application lacks supporting documentation. The only thing they could be talking about (I think) is the SF-50. Do I have to provide an SF-50 even though I'm not applying for a merit job posting?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yep, this was it. Despite there being a section that says "Required Documents" that only lists the resume/questionnaire, buried in the listing nowhere near the "required documents" is a paragraph that says I need to submit a copy of my bar card or printout from the state bar showing my license is active. Pretty dumb considering all you have to do is search my name in the bar database, but there it is and it's on me for not seeing that paragraph (and I routinely submit proof of good standing for other jobs when it's listed).

Lesson learned.

Federal HR computers are even lazier than Federal employees, so that is a step too far for them.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The position that I have been waiting to be posted for 4 months is going to be posted shortly. It will only be open for 5 days.

Hopefully I'll be highly qualified - it should be right down my alley in terms of specialty.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just realized the position is a two year position in the Pathways program.

Has anyone has experience with that program/after the two years is up?

It says "upon completion of program appointees may be non-competitively converted to a term or permenant position without further competition."

Would I run the risk of being employed for two years and then finding myself out of work?

edit: on the off chance I got hired

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Everything's a risk, but unless you're a turd Pathways appointments are likely to result in a conversion at the end of your two years. It's not guaranteed, but the whole point of the program is to pull recent grads into the Federal Service, which isn't accomplished by cutting them loose when their appointment ends.

Just don't be a total dipshit and put some effort into your performance.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Good to know. Thanks

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I mean what's the downside? Sure you are out of a job in two years if, for some reason, it doesn't convert (budget/performance) but you had a decent job for two years which will help you in finding something new.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

I mean what's the downside? Sure you are out of a job in two years if, for some reason, it doesn't convert (budget/performance) but you had a decent job for two years which will help you in finding something new.

Main problem is that if I was hired for the position I'd take a pay cut of ~7k for the hope that after a few years my grade would put me above that. Some cba planning to be done!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

So what's happening when I apply for a position,I meet the requirements, and then proceed to do very well on the KSAs but my application is "not forwarded to the selecting offical"?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Depends. Sometimes they only take the first 50 candidates who meet the qualifications. Or you didn't make the BQ list. Or a lot of veterans applied. Or they chose to not hire anyone.

Basically there's no way to know.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

TheMadMilkman posted:

There's no harm in calling them and countering with what your total pay was. Be ready to show proof, and also be ready for them to tell you no.

I've seen it go both ways.

Thanks, TMM and thread. I did this, they counter offered, and I accepted.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Congrats!

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Welcome to the circle, jerk!

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
In the running for Asylum Officer at USCIS Arlington. Currently a CBPO, ready to try something else but I am not sure if it's worth the pay cut. Any AO's on board here?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I'm going to be starting as a new federal employee in roughly one month, assuming background investigation etc. go according to the hiring office's predictions. Is there anything I should be aware of in general terms about how federal benefits/retirement/medical etc. work going on? I'm assuming that there are HR people or OPM employees whose job it is to explain these programs to employees but, if they are about as competent as their state equivalents, I'm not entirely sure I trust them. I plan to stay with this agency my entire career, and since I'm in my early thirties that's likely to be another 30 or so years, so I'd like to make sure that I'm starting on as sound a footing as possible.

Specifically, there appears to be an utterly boggling number of options for health plans, and I don't have any real idea how to compare one with the other. My previous employer (a state agency) had a grand total of two, and bizarrely enough paid essentially 100% of the costs rather than the feds' 75%, not that I'm complaining.

Also, does anyone know of a good discussion forum for federal employees in general? I'm aware of federal soup but it seems really dead compared to the sheer number of current and aspiring federal employees, so I'm assuming the bulk of discussion has been moved elsewhere?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

kys posted:

In the running for Asylum Officer at USCIS Arlington. Currently a CBPO, ready to try something else but I am not sure if it's worth the pay cut. Any AO's on board here?
Everyone I know who has left an immigration service center to be an Asylum Officer seems to like their new job, and considering service centers are fairly unarguably good jobs that says something. Granted, they could just have been the sort of people who would much rather work with people than paperwork...but if you are already working CBP then obviously you are accustomed to people already.

Asylum Officer is also, according to the learn-about-other-directorates lunch meeting we had earlier this year, one of the primary paths you would want to take if you had any interest in being a Refugee Officer someday, because that is the only other job doing fairly similar work in the immigration world. So if that sounds intriguing, then you definitely should go for it.

prussian advisor posted:

Also, does anyone know of a good discussion forum for federal employees in general? I'm aware of federal soup but it seems really dead compared to the sheer number of current and aspiring federal employees, so I'm assuming the bulk of discussion has been moved elsewhere?
That is a really good point, and I also always wondered why the forums there seemed only barely more active than "this thread here" (well, to be fair, some threads/forums are really popular but others are utterly dead)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

prussian advisor posted:

So I'm going to be starting as a new federal employee in roughly one month, assuming background investigation etc. go according to the hiring office's predictions. Is there anything I should be aware of in general terms about how federal benefits/retirement/medical etc. work going on?

When you come on board with your agency you ought to be provided with SF-2817 to elect FEGLI (life insurance) coverage. Be aware that once you hit 60 days after your appointment you can no longer change your FEGLI easily. Open seasons are not common. If I had realized that I'd have maxed everything on day one because it's really cheap.

Put at least 5% in TSP. That will maximize the government contribution. Even if it's not something you care about with respect to retirement it's still free money. Also don't just let your TSP balance sit in the default G fund if you're young. Or do I guess. I'm not a financial planner. Tsp.gov will explain all that.

FEHB (health insurance) can be changed every year during open season or when you lave a Qualifying Life Event such as marriage or birth/adoption of a child. The instructions on SF-2809 give more details and can be obtained through opm.gov (no link - phone posting).

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Loucks posted:

When you come on board with your agency you ought to be provided with SF-2817 to elect FEGLI (life insurance) coverage. Be aware that once you hit 60 days after your appointment you can no longer change your FEGLI easily. Open seasons are not common. If I had realized that I'd have maxed everything on day one because it's really cheap.

Put at least 5% in TSP. That will maximize the government contribution. Even if it's not something you care about with respect to retirement it's still free money. Also don't just let your TSP balance sit in the default G fund if you're young. Or do I guess. I'm not a financial planner. Tsp.gov will explain all that.

FEHB (health insurance) can be changed every year during open season or when you lave a Qualifying Life Event such as marriage or birth/adoption of a child. The instructions on SF-2809 give more details and can be obtained through opm.gov (no link - phone posting).

I'm going to be maxing out my TSP contributions at 14% (for 19% total contributions with government matching I believe) to drive down my income levels for public service loan forgiveness/income-based repayment reasons. I don't really plan to opt into the life insurance as I don't really have any dependents who would be suitable beneficiaries; I'm tentatively assuming that there's no actual 'investment vehicle' options for FEGLI ala a "whole life" policy?

Which plan do you use for FEHB/do you like it?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

I'm going to be maxing out my TSP contributions at 14% (for 19% total contributions with government matching I believe) to drive down my income levels for public service loan forgiveness/income-based repayment reasons. I don't really plan to opt into the life insurance as I don't really have any dependents who would be suitable beneficiaries; I'm tentatively assuming that there's no actual 'investment vehicle' options for FEGLI ala a "whole life" policy?

Which plan do you use for FEHB/do you like it?

High five max TSP for PSLF benefits, buddy. That's a ridiculous starting salary if 14% is maxing your contribution. Or is that just the max you feel comfortable putting in?

The plan I use probably isn't available for you but lots of people like Blue Cross Blue Shield, hard to go wrong with them.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Tyro posted:

High five max TSP for PSLF benefits, buddy. That's a ridiculous starting salary if 14% is maxing your contribution. Or is that just the max you feel comfortable putting in?

The plan I use probably isn't available for you but lots of people like Blue Cross Blue Shield, hard to go wrong with them.

I thought employee contributions were capped at 14%, and government matching capped at 4% (including the automatic 1% on top of that for a total of 5%?) Maybe I heard wrong, I'll swing over to tsp.gov to be sure. You wouldn't happen to be an attorney as well, would you?

BC/BS PPO was my state option and I loved it, there were times where I was literally shocked (in a good way) at the scope of things they were willing to cover and the extent of the coverage. Hopefully the federal equivalent is just as good.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

I thought employee contributions were capped at 14%, and government matching capped at 4% (including the automatic 1% on top of that for a total of 5%?) Maybe I heard wrong, I'll swing over to tsp.gov to be sure. You wouldn't happen to be an attorney as well, would you?

BC/BS PPO was my state option and I loved it, there were times where I was literally shocked (in a good way) at the scope of things they were willing to cover and the extent of the coverage. Hopefully the federal equivalent is just as good.

Not an attorney, no. Cap for TSP is $18K/year currently or roughly $693 per pay period. Matching is capped at 5% like you said.

http://www.tsp.gov/planningtools/electivecontributions/electiveContributions.shtml

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

prussian advisor posted:

I can comment here (I'm on my dad's FEHBP BC/BS): BC/BS under Federal is amazing. You do, however, pay a lot in premiums. Those premiums, however? All worth it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rejected from 2/3 Postings. Let's see for the third goes - it's the one I was most qualified for of the ones I applied to.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I'm 0/51 so far with no interviews, so it could be worse

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am always intrigued by people who apply to, like, one job a month, rather than 5 jobs a day. I assume they have a much better grasp on their field/long-term goals than I do...or maybe they already have good jobs and are just curious?

Hang in there Goodpancakes! I went 1.5/~250* :haw: though I suppose in fairness a good 75 of those were before I had some people tear my résumé to shreds and start again.

Of course...now I hear it is too long, and I should move all my unpaid experience to "other information." Fair enough, and I know they are supposed to ignore gaps in employment, particularly if you are in school, but I still feel like someone is going to say "seriously, nobody paid him to do anything from 2008-2011? Hmm..."

*Well technically I never got an actual interview, but you know what I mean

Doctor Bovine
Aug 7, 2007
Proud graduate of Bovine University
My job offer finally came. However, it's 10k less than I was hoping for. I have a masters degree and six years of working experience. I did Peace Corps/grad school for the last few years and my last salary (for the NGO job I quit in 2011) was 36k. What are my options here?

'Congratulations! You have been tentatively selected for some random position with a government organization. You have been selected at the FP-7 (GS-7) grade level. This government organization's policy requires pay to be set at Step 1 unless documentation (e.g. last two pay statements) of recent salary history is higher. The documented higher salary (up to the maximum of your grade) could then be offered. Please provide me such documentation if it is available. The FP-7, Step 1 salary is $ 39,972.00 per annum.'

Edit: The salary range for this job is ~39-58k

Doctor Bovine fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 9, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Quarex posted:

I am always intrigued by people who apply to, like, one job a month, rather than 5 jobs a day. I assume they have a much better grasp on their field/long-term goals than I do...or maybe they already have good jobs and are just curious?

In my case, I have a good job but I would love to be employed by the agency I have been applying to.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Doctor Bovine posted:

My job offer finally came. However, it's 10k less than I was hoping for. I have a masters degree and six years of working experience. I did Peace Corps/grad school for the last few years and my last salary (for the NGO job I quit in 2011) was 36k. What are my options here?

'Congratulations! You have been tentatively selected for some random position with a government organization. You have been selected at the FP-7 (GS-7) grade level. This government organization's policy requires pay to be set at Step 1 unless documentation (e.g. last two pay statements) of recent salary history is higher. The documented higher salary (up to the maximum of your grade) could then be offered. Please provide me such documentation if it is available. The FP-7, Step 1 salary is $ 39,972.00 per annum.'

Edit: The salary range for this job is ~39-58k

Does your job have any sort of 7-9-11-12 track (or target some rank)? If so, yeah, you're stuck at low pay the first year but should advance quickly to the target grade.

If it doesn't, then you're pretty much stuck; rank generally isn't negotiable outside of the advertised range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Loucks posted:

I think this should be triple quoted. I forget what the statistic is but open season for FEGLI is really rare.