Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Professor of Cats posted:

This looks fantastic. Any trip report for this? I need a game that I can just put in a couple hours a week or so.

So you want a trip report, eh?

Aside from some odd wording, it's a good decent length. Some of the puzzles are "how the gently caress was I supposed to see that?" and "How was I supposed to figure THAT out?" But they are spread out far and few. For the most part, the story is well written, and there's some "holy poo poo" moments in it. You can finish the game in about 8 hours, though. So if you're stingy, you might want to wait for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Professor of Cats posted:

no joke, that was pretty visceral.

So I did see a whale, fire unicorn and poo poo though...please tell that is a hallucination and not some bullshit kojima metaphor bullshit. (I'll still play this regardless)

It's a physical psychic projection.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It's definitely meant to be a horror game, the demo gave off a strong Sanitarium vibe. Definitely going on my wishlist. Why do so many good things have to come out at once :argh:

I'm a decent length into Fran Bow now, and I have to take back what I said earlier about the puzzles being tough. They're a good difficulty, there are a couple of moments of strange logic and I got stuck on an odd dates/numbers puzzle I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with, but for the most part everything moves along nicely so hopefully that didn't deter anyone from buying it. It's really good.

that loving puzzle, I almost figured it out but I added the numbers in groups of two instead of groups of four, and when that didn't work i assumed I was completely off base.

That aside, Fran Bow is an excellent game so far and one of the few I've paid full price for on Steam. I think the achievement names might have spoilers (too early in to know for sure), so be careful looking at those.

PhysicsFrenzy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 2, 2015

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I borrowed a copy of Until Dawn and got all the way up until chapter 9, and halfway through the game bugs out and the exit to the room I'm in won't light up so I'm stuck. Of course there's only one save file, so my only option is to start the game over. Quite a mood-killer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My roommate bought Until Dawn on an impulse and we played it through - fantastic, even though it's not as choose-your-own-adventure as people make it out to be. Your choices have much more of an influence than, say, a Telltale game, but moreso on the characters than the overall story.

Top notch graphics, and except for Emily, pretty good acting too. I'm also a sucker for jumpscares, so I don't mind them.

It works extremely well as a game played in a group, with people watching - it's the best horror movie I've ever played, that's for sure.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Until Dawn is really good. Pretty much the perfect teen-horror homage.

I haven't replayed a game since the PS1 when i simply couldn't afford more games due to being a loving rear end in a top hat teenager at the time but i will be replaying Until Dawn because it oozes atmosphere and has actual good acting in a loving video-game of all things.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The thing I liked about it is that the whole 'who lives and who dies' element is a really good way to add the game element to it. If you want to play them as relatively cowardly, douchey slasher victims they can all die, or you can try to deny the genre conventions and have them look to their survival. It's a nice way to differentiate it as a good horror game of a horror movie instead of just a good horror movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, allowing for any of the 8 teens to die or survive in any combination allows for a lot more control over the outcome. There's not a ton of ending variation, but it means that you don't get the issue from other narrative games where major character deaths are inevitable and your choices are all for naught.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, allowing for any of the 8 teens to die or survive in any combination allows for a lot more control over the outcome. There's not a ton of ending variation, but it means that you don't get the issue from other narrative games where major character deaths are inevitable and your choices are all for naught.

Also it makes you feel super bad when a character you really liked dies due to your actions :(.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Whoa just like in real life.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I watched a stream of Layers of Fear for about an hour. Seems like a pretty good stuff-falling-off-shelves simulator.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Sup thread.

So, I really, really, really liked Lakeview Cabin Collection, but I've beaten it upside-down, and I can actually probably still revisit it and have a time, but I'm looking for a similar but separate experience, in terms of
a) Sandbox game play where you can just sort of try something insane with different aspects of the objects or game world, and it will probably work, even if it's not the way you intended.
b) Information isn't fed, story and game scenario are learned through playing
c) Game play is focused on achieving a single simple goal, preferably similar to pooling resources for killing a man-sized clown baby who's really hard to kill, but I'm open to alternatives.

Any recommendations?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
MGSV Trip Report: the horror elements keep coming back and in gameplay form when you face off with the Skull Squad or whatever the gently caress they're called. They're spooky as hell (less so if you take an action approach) but now there's a goddamn zombie element to the game. Normally I'd roll my eyes at that last bit but it's rad as hell. The cutscene at the end of Where Do The Bees Sleep is great too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^ They are creepy but also its nice to calm your fears with a rocket launcher

mr sad posted:

I watched a stream of Layers of Fear for about an hour. Seems like a pretty good stuff-falling-off-shelves simulator.

I am kind of afraid (heh) of getting it for that reason. It seems like one of those games where it is spooky at first but then just turns to weak jumpscares

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DreamShipWrecked posted:

^^^ They are creepy but also its nice to calm your fears with a rocket launcher

Not if you want that mission bonus :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

The cutscene at the end of Where Do The Bees Sleep is great too.

That's the mission I'm about to do!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yodzilla posted:

Not if you want that mission bonus :colbert:

Agreed :colbert:

So far my playstyle when those guys pop up is to cheese it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am kind of afraid (heh) of getting it for that reason. It seems like one of those games where it is spooky at first but then just turns to weak jumpscares
I think what's currently in the game stays consistent throughout; there are jump scares but there are also larger set pieces that work really well. The only thing that felt off is that there's a psuedo death mechanic...and it just didn't make much sense and threw off the pacing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Morpheus posted:

Also it makes you feel super bad when a character you really liked dies due to your actions :(.

For me that was basically nobody, so into the grinder you go cast of mostly jerks :v:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Throwing in my recommendation for Fran Bow as well! Decently creepy without relying on jump scares. I'm getting a constant "wow this is pretty messed up, what's next" kind of feeling which makes me want to see more. I played a good chunk of it last night and had a good time of it, and aside from a few adventure game trappings I've really enjoyed myself.

I'm sort of in love/hate with how Fran won't do some things/collect some things until she "needs" them. It makes "sense" but at the end of the day can really grate.

You go out of your way to create a drugged cinnamon bun, and it turns out to be completely worthless, but the real solution won't appear until you do. I don't think she'll even grab a cinnamon bun until you've got the drug/problem presented to you, and there's a myriad of other foods she won't drug, including pasta, lemonade, milk, and coffee, which winds up being the real solution to the puzzle, by throwing it at someone. :geno:

Also, I spent about half an hour attempting to find some leftover hair laying around the twin witches' house, not realizing I would have to deface their spell recipe before they would even come home. I even tried using the bad spell recipe on the typewriter before I found the "good" spell and Fran wouldn't do it. That was pretty irritating as I had collected literally everything else necessary to solve the puzzle.

Still, I'm really enjoying what it's doing and while I think I can see the ending coming I'm enjoying getting there.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Poulpe posted:

Throwing in my recommendation for Fran Bow as well! Decently creepy without relying on jump scares. I'm getting a constant "wow this is pretty messed up, what's next" kind of feeling which makes me want to see more. I played a good chunk of it last night and had a good time of it, and aside from a few adventure game trappings I've really enjoyed myself.

I'm sort of in love/hate with how Fran won't do some things/collect some things until she "needs" them. It makes "sense" but at the end of the day can really grate.

You go out of your way to create a drugged cinnamon bun, and it turns out to be completely worthless, but the real solution won't appear until you do. I don't think she'll even grab a cinnamon bun until you've got the drug/problem presented to you, and there's a myriad of other foods she won't drug, including pasta, lemonade, milk, and coffee, which winds up being the real solution to the puzzle, by throwing it at someone. :geno:

Also, I spent about half an hour attempting to find some leftover hair laying around the twin witches' house, not realizing I would have to deface their spell recipe before they would even come home. I even tried using the bad spell recipe on the typewriter before I found the "good" spell and Fran wouldn't do it. That was pretty irritating as I had collected literally everything else necessary to solve the puzzle.

Still, I'm really enjoying what it's doing and while I think I can see the ending coming I'm enjoying getting there.

Fun fact: Drugging the bun was the answer in the demo.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Is that a puzzle where there are multiple solutions? I heard mention of multiple puzzle solutions but I'm not sure which ones actually are. Also yeah them changing it up from the demo threw me off, I assumed I'd just breeze past the first level of the game having played the original Indiegogo demo a long time ago, but they completely redid that area of the game in the release version.

I tried to give the cinammon bun to the guard, but I didn't do it very nicely because he's a huge creep, and I just assumed that I made him suspicious by yelling at him to eat the thing.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

That's the mission I'm about to do!

I got so freaked out by the Skulls I ended up booking it as fast as possible to get the gently caress outta there, I didnt stop until I was safely onboard my heli. I reeeealy don't like the Skulls, I think they can "smell" Big Boss as they seem to know where you are at all times.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Is that a puzzle where there are multiple solutions? I heard mention of multiple puzzle solutions but I'm not sure which ones actually are. Also yeah them changing it up from the demo threw me off, I assumed I'd just breeze past the first level of the game having played the original Indiegogo demo a long time ago, but they completely redid that area of the game in the release version.

I tried to give the cinammon bun to the guard, but I didn't do it very nicely because he's a huge creep, and I just assumed that I made him suspicious by yelling at him to eat the thing.

Just finished the game and looking at the achievements, there is one for putting him to sleep, somehow. So there must be a way to do it.

Also, regarding the ending, it's one of those intentionally ambiguous deals where you're meant to look for meaning in the metaphor of it. Bleugh. I like fan discussion as much as the next guy but it kind of feels like the game set up this big twisted mystery and the ending is sitting you in the middle of it with a pat on the head. I still think the game was really well done and there's a ton of hints and subtext sprinkled throughout but I really would have liked a bit more meat of the story for closure.

Maybe some nerds will "solve" it and post a guide someday.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Well, just watching HarshlyCritical's let's play of Until Dawn and the game looks very interesting, but fuuuuck. It's hard to watch the guy because he's an incredibly unobservant idiot who constantly seems to miss out on things and sometime can't chain basic logic together, which is hilarious for a guy who's motto is "Think Critically".

But hey, that makes him an average guy, and he reacts naturally, which is better than a million Markipliers combined.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kokoro Wish posted:

Well, just watching HarshlyCritical's let's play of Until Dawn and the game looks very interesting, but fuuuuck. It's hard to watch the guy because he's an incredibly unobservant idiot who constantly seems to miss out on things and sometime can't chain basic logic together, which is hilarious for a guy who's motto is "Think Critically".

But hey, that makes him an average guy, and he reacts naturally, which is better than a million Markipliers combined.

Dude, watching different LP's of Until Dawn has made me question how some people even manage to function daily.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

People who claim to think critically always suffer from Dunning-Kruger effect.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Can anyone recommend a decent let's play of Until Dawn? It sounds like a game I'd enjoy but I don't plan on ever buying a PS4.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent let's play of Until Dawn? It sounds like a game I'd enjoy but I don't plan on ever buying a PS4.

Raedwulf's isn't bad and he has the whole thing up now. Best Friends too, but their doing MGS5 now so I don't know how frequent they'll upload and they're only up to 4 vids.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Scary Game Squad playthrough is pretty good, it's on part 7 right now. Though according to comments they've figured out the entire story already (and nerds in the comments are furious cause they think they played the game ahead of time even though Jesse has said several times they didn't)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The previously-mentioned Harshly Critical and he's just finished it. He's low-key and doesn't overreact and shriek and mug over it. There's also Videogames Awesome (farfromsubtle) who haven't finished it yet but the back-and-forth between the hosts is pretty good and you get a nice balance of someone who isn't jumpy with someone who is. The problem there is their format isn't for everyone, they have a "sitting on a couch" gimmick where the actual game is in a smaller window in the upper corner.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Kokoro Wish posted:

He seems to go in to games expecting them to suck, which is fine when he's doing lovely Slender clones he found on gamespot or whatever, but seemed really egregious in the case of Until Dawn and led to him not taking the game seriously enough/assuming he knew more than he did, therefore missing/not bothering to look for anything that contradicted his idea about how campy the game was "supposed" to be.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

InediblePenguin posted:

He seems to go in to games expecting them to suck, which is fine when he's doing lovely Slender clones he found on gamespot or whatever, but seemed really egregious in the case of Until Dawn and led to him not taking the game seriously enough/assuming he knew more than he did, therefore missing/not bothering to look for anything that contradicted his idea about how campy the game was "supposed" to be.

He repeatedly said that he really liked it, but he was making jokes because part of his thing is making sarcastic jokes and there are plenty of silly moments to laugh at. The game is not a Super Serious game from what I've seen.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Oh yeah, in the more recent videos - I didn't specify, but I was thinking specifically of how he BEGAN the game, in this case. It's been fun watching how much fun HE'S having playing it, now that he's gotten into it.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yet he made it through the game with no one dying. But I know what you mean. I was seething watching him play Machine for Pigs. It seems like when it comes to people recording themselves play a game you're either oblivious or or a god-like speed runner. No in between. Maybe it's trying to fill in the video with commentary that distracts them, I don't know.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so i just realised Peter Stormae of until dawn also did these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMpHc77qNI

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Niggurath posted:

So do you have $2 and a spare two hours, then please do give a try to Stray Cat Crossing. It's a wonderfully surreal RPG maker game with a great art style and a nice story; not entirely straight horror but still had well worth the price of admission.

This was certainly worth playing. Some nice images, some clever puzzles, and the annoying bits weren't that bad. Also doesn't overstay its welcome. Definitely worth the price it's going at, and I hope whoever did it does more.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Would you guys consider The Cat Lady to be a horror game? :confused:
I'm trying to describe it to a friend and I guess it's psychological horror?

I'm watching some LPs of Until Dawn and I am really liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

it's definitely a horror game, the psychological aspect is surface-level at best (although from what i'm told it does handle the subject of depression quite well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Flubby posted:

Yet he made it through the game with no one dying. But I know what you mean. I was seething watching him play Machine for Pigs. It seems like when it comes to people recording themselves play a game you're either oblivious or or a god-like speed runner. No in between. Maybe it's trying to fill in the video with commentary that distracts them, I don't know.

I think anybody, definitely every goon that has ever existed, would occasionally sound like an idiot and be bad at video games too if they recorded themselves playing a new game for 15+ hours like how HarshlyCritical does and other streamers. Of the LPers I've watched he's definitely one of the most fun and chill and his Until Dawn play through is great.