Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

born on a buy you posted:

asu is now at 1% total funding from the state and currently has the largest freshman class ever.
Is this why ASU accepts basically all transfer applications?
E: I think you were probably talking about Alabama State, not Arizona. Stupid mistake.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

azflyboy posted:

Since Kim Davis is being held in contempt of court from a federal judge, is there any chance she could get charged with a felony if she continues to ignore the court order? The irony of a right wing "Jesus warrior" being banned from voting (or owning a gun) would be pretty amazing, but I'm assuming that she won't face any more serious consequences than the current jail stint.

Nope. She stays in jail until she complies or the matter is irrelevant (ex: she resigns or is voted out). The jail sentence is meant to force compliance not be punitive.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

The federal courts still work and striking down unconstitutional law is something they can and will happily do against a state that's attacking the judiciary.

It's really simpler than that. The defunding was triggered by a State Court ruling that the defunding law was unconstitutional, based on the State Constitution. The Court stayed its ruling until it can be appealed to the State Supreme Court, which is also going to rule that the defunding law is unconstitutional. That's when the fun begins because then Brownback and the Legislature either have to put up and do something or just slink away with their tales between their legs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Is this why ASU accepts basically all transfer applications?
E: I think you were probably talking about Alabama State, not Arizona. Stupid mistake.

No, he's an Arizona poster.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

Only Bobby Jindal has the courage to stand up to the government in the name of Personal Jesus.

reach out and touch faith mow mow na now mow mow

Bobby Jindal hears her prayers, someone who cares.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dalael posted:

Don't forget that most universities likes to invest in building poo poo now. For example in Montreal, Universite du Quebec a Montreal (UQAM) invested nearly half a billion dollar in something called l'Ilot Voyageur which most people have no loving clue what its supposed to be. The way the contract was set up, the university took all the risks and the more delays happened, the more profit the construction company made on the project. Like that is not a recipe for failure.

Universities should use their money for two things only: Education and research.

How are you supposed to spread that construction pork around if you're wasting it on things like tenured faculty salaries?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The geniuses at the Ron Paul Institute have cracked the code on the Syrian refugee crisis and, in a surprise twist, it's a FALSE FLAG!!!

quote:

Mr. Korybko alleges (as I do) that the smuggler networks are being “influenced by western intelligence” (in Korybko’s delicate phrasing) and are being led to believe that the longer route from northern Greece through the Balkans to Budapest is the one most certain of success. (It is also possible the refugees’ travel is being financed and directed by an oil-rich ISIS at the US’s behest.)

The truth is that the longer route leaves EU and NATO member Bulgaria and key US ally Albania relatively undisturbed while delivering a mighty blow to those nations (and, in the case of Macedonia and Serbia, largely Orthodox populations) which have either declined to participate in or have criticized sanctions (Catholic Hungary) against Russia, and all of which hope to participate in Russia’s Balkan Stream gas pipeline project.

Once the American misadventure in Ukraine turned sticky and was understood to have failed to bait Russia into invading, the US instigated ‘Plan C’ (Migrant Madness,) which followed the earlier failure of ‘Plan B,’ which was to instigate a color revolution in Macedonia.

Unclear at this time whether the US-ISIS-FYROM alliance will succeed in toppling Putin and trigger a recommencing of 1776, but stay tuned for more developments from Presidential candidate and current US Senator Rand Paul's dad.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

I may have hated Bush's policies, but the guy genuinely seemed like a nice guy who's not afraid to look ridiculous. In a very sad way, I kinda miss the guy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dalael posted:

I may have hated Bush's policies, but the guy genuinely seemed like a nice guy who's not afraid to look ridiculous. In a very sad way, I kinda miss the guy.

And so it begins.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dalael posted:

Good news! :unsmith:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And so it begins.

I can't help myself. I really like monkeys.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dalael posted:

He was not as terrible as Nixon, but then again nobody is.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Internet Webguy posted:

I think they should just tell the Kentucky court clerk that every gay couple she marries have promised to convert to Christianity and get baptized and if she tries to check up on them tell her it's none of her business. Problem solved.

Don't let the clerk know the name or gender of either party getting married?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dalael posted:

I dunno, there are plenty of politicians out there who are goofy fun guys who aren't responsible for war crimes so I'm kinda glad he only had the maximum possible 2 terms.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Deep Hurting posted:

Don't let the clerk know the name or gender of either party getting married?

Apparently she has a better idea, which is don't put her name on the license.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Cabbit posted:

Apparently she has a better idea, which is don't put her name on the license.

Nah. For one it'd let her save face.

Never mind the fact it could pose legal problems down the line.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Nah. For one it'd let her save face.

Never mind the fact it could pose legal problems down the line.

Yeah. If nothing else the point of all this is that whatever revisionist bullshit the residents of Kentucky, associated freemen of the land, and Nevadan cattle ranchers may tell themselves, the Civil War firmly established that you do not gently caress with the federal government.

There isn't really any room to compromise on this. As an agent of the government you drat well do as the government says. Trying to carve out a religious exemption on that is begging for poo poo to go very very badly

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

He was not as terrible as Nixon, but then again nobody is.

That's really loving debatable. Bush brought back 99% of the horrific poo poo Nixon did, and brought it home to apply to us in ways Nixon never did. At best we'd end up quibbling over scale over there vs it being done here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DrProsek posted:

I dunno, there are plenty of politicians out there who are goofy fun guys who aren't responsible for war crimes so I'm kinda glad he only had the maximum possible 2 terms.

It, for me, is really hard to imagine a guy who basically ran on a platform of "THE QUEERS WILL RUIN THIS COUNTRY" is that genuinely nice a guy, too.

His dad seems pretty chill, I could probably have a drink with the elder Bush as long as his mouthbreather kids don't come in.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dalael posted:

I can't help myself. I really like monkeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCDadox_vYo

never forget :911: (slightly nws for monkey sex)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dalael posted:

He would have made a great Ambassador to Poland or something like that, to be honest.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

3. There are a lot more loving students. College enrollment rarely if ever goes down, and usually it goes up by a ton. This means you need lots of new facilities, lots of new classrooms, etc just to keep the current quality you have today.

From a few pages back but enrollment's actually been in decline the past few years. In part because of crackdowns at for-profit diploma mills, but also fewer adult students going back to school, and the 18-24 age cohort isn't growing any more.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Nixon was at least a very intelligent dude. Paranoid and kind of evil, sure.

The Bush kids...not so much. I mean, Jeb! is supposed to be the smart one. I'm amused how quickly he turns into a petulant child when he feels like he isn't getting his way.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

He would have made a great Ambassador to Poland or something like that, to be honest.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hey, by the way, that Planned Parenthood in Washington that had the fire? It's been deemed arson

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can't wait until it's determined that it wasn't politically motivated. :allears:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you could kill everyone making over $250,000 a year or kill all cops which would you do?

First I'd give all cops a raise to $250,001 per year

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

comes along bort posted:

From a few pages back but enrollment's actually been in decline the past few years. In part because of crackdowns at for-profit diploma mills, but also fewer adult students going back to school, and the 18-24 age cohort isn't growing any more.

The data I'm seeing is showing at best a plateauing that's only a few years old.

And the 18-24 group is growing, but in the sense that a greater percentage of them are going to college, even if the population of the group doesn't change.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Black person tries to use food stamps at Whole Foods, gets beat to a bloody pulp and hospitalized for their trouble

Judge up in Oregon also refusing to marry same sex couples

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

flash forward to 2020, hands tied by the lack of officials willing to do their job, the government passes into law a bill that terminates the legal concept of marriage
finally, the christian right cries in celebration, we have destroyed the institution of marriage

wait a minute, one says after a moment's thought

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Fried Chicken posted:

That's really loving debatable. Bush brought back 99% of the horrific poo poo Nixon did, and brought it home to apply to us in ways Nixon never did. At best we'd end up quibbling over scale over there vs it being done here.

The thing is, the worst villains of the Bush administration were all around during Nixon's administration too, pulling their Team B shenanigans. Arguably, the difference is that Nixon was a far bigger rear end in a top hat than Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al. combined, so he could actually keep them in check, unlike Bush, who left it to guys like Powell to try to balance things out.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

AriadneThread posted:

flash forward to 2020, hands tied by the lack of officials willing to do their job, the government passes into law a bill that terminates the legal concept of marriage
finally, the christian right cries in celebration, we have destroyed the institution of marriage

This kind of happened here, accidentally.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oops-did-texas-ban-marriage/

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

It looks like he's not performing any marriages at all and that he's not obligated to, so if he's not specifically discriminating then it doesn't seem like as much of a problem. It still makes him a shithead, but not in the same way as Kim Davis.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I do not get why the conservatives can not get separation of church and state. Just like the founders wanted. Oh wait I know why. They are monsters.

It is simple. Churches do not have to do gay weddings. Business and government can not discriminate against and must employee or serve homosexual people. What is there not to understand about this?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Does this mean she could find herself in Federal prison for contempt?

:suspense:

Federal charges are felonies, right? That would likely mean she would be ineligible to hold office, correct?

Dalael posted:

I wonder how she'd feel if a muslim (fanatic or extremist (not moderate)) guy refused to give her a driving license at the DMV based on his religious belief that woman shouldn't be driving. I'm sure she'd nod, apologize for trying to breach his religious right and then go on her merry way without ever driving ever again.

I was wondering the same thing. If I was a county clerk, I'd start trolling by denying marriage licenses to gays to get the attention of the Christian fundies and get them talking about defending my religious freedom, then go into isolation for a week, come out and declare that I've seen the green banner of Muhammed and that Islam is the light and, because of their unequivocal and continued support for my religious freedoms, that I will now be using my elected position to institute sharia law.

Mulva posted:

Possibly, Rule 42 is very clear that statutory limits on imprisonment, fines or other punishments do not apply to

Theoretically she could be held in federal custody until she is no longer the clerk.

Oh man, and she just started her term as clerk in January. It's going to be a long 4 years.

Also, it's going to be hard to campaign from a jail cell.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I dint think W. was stupid at all, more kind of ignorant about things and with a worldview that precluded him from fixing that. He was the product of a politically powerful family and a very deep, very American style of religious belief that places a lot of value in "good vs bad" styles of moral judgments, where things like Jesus and the "American Way" set the standard for what good is. That and he was president when 9/11 occurred and I'm willing to bet that may have influenced his world outlook in maybe not good way.

Not that it makes him come off that much better. I think he actually believed he was on a mission from God when he was considering his mid east and anti terrorism polices, which is in some ways more unsettling than wanting to just have a military adventure for more pragmatically selfish motives.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Man. Just thinking about this country before 9/11.

I was in a biology class in high school.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I do not get why the conservatives can not get separation of church and state. Just like the founders wanted. Oh wait I know why. They are monsters.

That, or they genuinely believe there is a God, and it is one that feels very strongly about the gays. It doesn't really matter how wrong it is on any level to think that, because it does not factor into their decision making process. If you bring up anything that opposes their view, it makes them uncomfortable so they reflexively reject it. They're not monsters, they're just typical people.

They want a Christian theocracy. They dont want one because they hate the blacks or Muslims or for some other malevolent agenda, they want it because the idea "makes sense" to them. The issue of whether or not they'd like it if some other religion would institute a theocracy is a moot point to them because their issue would be with the other religion, not religious government as a concept.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 5, 2015

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I dint think W. was stupid at all, more kind of ignorant about things and with a worldview that precluded him from fixing that.

He had brain damage from decades of constantly drinking and doing cocaine.

And also, possibly, dyslexia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Young Freud posted:

I was wondering the same thing. If I was a county clerk, I'd start trolling by denying marriage licenses to gays to get the attention of the Christian fundies and get them talking about defending my religious freedom, then go into isolation for a week, come out and declare that I've seen the green banner of Muhammed and that Islam is the light and, because of their unequivocal and continued support for my religious freedoms, that I will now be using my elected position to institute sharia law.

I like the way you think.

• Locked thread