Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

I'm looking forward to checking out MGS5 when I can scare up some money, though the hour long cutscene troll thing seems pretty misguided to me.

It's a strange move, and I'm still questioning the intention behind it, but at its worst, this short segment is as interactive as something like The Order: 1886—which makes me think Kojima was trying to make a send-up of AAA game design tropes. After that, though, MGSV essentially drops you into its world and says, "Sure, go ahead and do whatever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I assume jrpgs are completely not your thing if something short like MGS5's intro almost destroyed your interest.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
There have been much more annoying intros to games than MGS5's. At least it was interesting.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I have complicated feelings on JRPGs. Keep in mind, I haven't tried MGS5 yet. It's just that his fetish for non interactive gameplay is my least favorite thing about a creator I otherwise really like.

And Bob, if so, it's a worthy target.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The one thing people agree on MGS5 is that it's by a mile the one with the least cutscenes. Its story and plot is a large majority in cassette tapes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I had a friend today who didn't know MGS5 was out, which surprised me because I think it might be the most commonly used proper noun on this part of the internet right now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Woffle posted:

Yeah, I have complicated feelings on JRPGs. Keep in mind, I haven't tried MGS5 yet. It's just that his fetish for non interactive gameplay is my least favorite thing about a creator I otherwise really like.

And Bob, if so, it's a worthy target.

When it comes to The Phantom Pain it is entirely interactive. The intro is a single exception to a game that otherwise never wastes your time. I wish there were more moments where control is removed so I can get some context on what the gently caress is going on.

But for all the criticism of Kojima taking control away from you few other games in this genre have as much raw interaction and that couldn't be more true about this final installment. This is the kind of game you play for 60+ hours still discovering new things.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm not still under the impression the whole game is a non interactive Kojima gently caress fest. We're talking about his decision to take his most gameplay focused game ever and hide it behind a one hour movie wall. Everything I've read about it makes it sound like the Metal Gear I'm most likely to love without reservations (though, you know, MGS3, come on).

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

The intro is also the complete opposite of inconsequential, I was listening to IT while I did some side ops and was doing some serious "hehs" it real life while Nick was talking about it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, it's an hour. I'm prepared to give the final Kojima Metal Gear game less than the runtime of Spy Kids to justify itself.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Woffle posted:

I'm not still under the impression the whole game is a non interactive Kojima gently caress fest. We're talking about his decision to take his most gameplay focused game ever and hide it behind a one hour movie wall. Everything I've read about it makes it sound like the Metal Gear I'm most likely to love without reservations (though, you know, MGS3, come on).

I think you're putting way too much past history into it. It's a fancy tutorial that sets the plot of the game rather bluntly. Would you say the Witcher 3's beginning is a movie wall? Because it's pretty much no difference between that and MGS5's intro.

(Unless you don't like the Witcher 3)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The intro to Phantom Pain is much more interactive than previous heavily-scripted sequences in MGS. You are definitely in a scripted (often-literal) hallway with a lot of small cutscenes, but you frequently have control of the character while things are happening, even if it is just following an NPC or pressing "Up" on the stick. I was definitely growing tired of it by the end, but it's far better than the hour-long cutscenes you can just put the controller down for during other games in the series.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

"Miyamoto told us to ditch the old system", "Miyamoto told us he didn't want a complicated story", "Miyamoto told us to stick with SMB characters wherever possible and to keep the number of original characters to a minimum', etc.

It wasn't just Shiggy being Shiggy - they cite a lot of data from Club Nintendo and other places that shows they were addressing criticisms made against Super Paper Mario - but that interview has become the go-to "Miyamoto's lost it, stop loving with our games old man!" argument ever since it went up and I think people are madder aout the interview than they were about the game.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Somewhere along the way, I seem to have given the impression I think MGS5 is bad or that I think an hour of tutorial is too much and that isn't my stance. The sequence is:

Kojima makes a bunch of games with Kojima-Esque never ending movies that I don't like.
MGS5 is advertised/demoed/covered as a rejection of that, a game that focuses more heavily on gameplay.
MGS5 starts with Kojima-esque barely interactive movie.

That's it, that's all I was talking about. The choice, which to myself and others, seems like a deliberate troll and/or commentary.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

Somewhere along the way, I seem to have given the impression I think MGS5 is bad or that I think an hour of tutorial is too much and that isn't my stance. The sequence is:

Kojima makes a bunch of games with Kojima-Esque never ending movies that I don't like.
MGS5 is advertised/demoed/covered as a rejection of that, a game that focuses more heavily on gameplay.
MGS5 starts with Kojima-esque barely interactive movie.

That's it, that's all I was talking about. The choice, which to myself and others, seems like a deliberate troll and/or commentary.

On the other hand... die!!!

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

People are exaggerating, it's a tutorial not a barely interactive movie, the "barely interactive" stuff is literally 5 minutes and then it's you moving around avoiding guards trying to escape the hospital as the controls pop up occasionally.

I think dumb posts here gave you the wrong impression and that's why people are freaking out about your opinions and have not connected two and two and realized they told you incorrect facts about the game

Edit: I still think it was way too long for a tutorial, but that's another issue altogether.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Woffle posted:

I don't really think so, if only because the rest of the game is so sparse. The intro sets up the grim tone and is legitimately well done as far as mostly hands off on rails sequences go. If the rest of the cutscenes were any longer than 5 minutes or came after each major mission (you'll go 6 missions before your next story beat and it's over in an instant) I'd say it's classic Kojima trolling but no, this game is him creating a big stealth sandbox and the intro is the safety movie before the rollercoaster.

But I can't stress how good the game is. Take every good bit from the series and mash it into one, that is The Phantom Pain. I've reached a point where enemies are always concentrated in groups of 2-3 wearing gas masks because my crutch for so long has been leading lone guards away or tossing smoke grenades in groups. Now I can assign combat units to sabotage their poo poo which reduces the number of souped up guards. It's like all the neat detailed elements of MGS3 where you could poison guards or blow up warehouses except now there's a universal application for it. I still can't recommend it to people with no experience to the series but every stealth game from now on will be held to its standard. If Ubisoft wants Splinter Cell or whatever Ghost Recon they're scrounging up to compete it had better take some cues from this game.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Honestly I regret my post. I feel like we're badgering Gary at this point and it's silly. It's just a video game, who cares, let's talk about podcasts and whatnot he'll play the game if he wants later down the road

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I didn't want to spoil it, Gary, but the time you spend in the intro unable to interact is spent listening to a thematically appropriate Bowie song.

Also, I have a puppy and a hot pink helicopter/oil rig.

Also, it's weird that I'm talking to you here and not via text.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

If I'm being badgered, the frustrating part is I'm being badgered for opinions I don't actually have. I believe you when you say the first part is exaggerated but I got that from somewhere (read: lots of places on the internet). I haven't played it yet, remember.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

I didn't want to spoil it, Gary, but the time you spend in the intro unable to interact is spent listening to a thematically appropriate Bowie song.

Also, I have a puppy and a hot pink helicopter/oil rig.

Also, it's weird that I'm talking to you here and not via text.

Fun fact, that's not actually Bowie but a cover artist that sounds better than Bowie.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

al-azad posted:

Fun fact, that's not actually Bowie but a cover artist that sounds better than Bowie.

Sounds better than Bowie....

Now I feel like you're definitely pulling my leg.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To elaborate, I like the cover more than the original song.

e: Huh, it's actually from Midge Ure who I've never heard of. I originally thought it was a remix of Bowie but I'm sticking it up there with Hendrix's Watchtower in covers-that-are-better.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 5, 2015

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Woffle posted:

If I'm being badgered, the frustrating part is I'm being badgered for opinions I don't actually have. I believe you when you say the first part is exaggerated but I got that from somewhere (read: lots of places on the internet). I haven't played it yet, remember.
It's clear you haven't played it, but everybody here is saying "it's not non-interactive for longer than a few minutes, it's a tutorial" and you keep saying "Well I heard it's an hour long movie wall. I haven't played it but that's what I heard. Sure does suck that there's an hour long barely interactive cutscene at the beginning! What a troll." Like you don't believe what people are telling you here because you heard different elsewhere.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

al-azad posted:

To elaborate, I like the cover more than the original song.

e: Huh, it's actually from Midge Ure who I've never heard of. I originally thought it was a remix of Bowie but I'm sticking it up there with Hendrix's Watchtower in covers-that-are-better.

This has been my helicopter music for ages and I still don't tire of it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just really angry at MGSV because I found a tape of diarrhea sounds, but it's not categorized as a music tape so I can't blast it out of my helicopter.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I watched a twitch stream for about 30 mins (which I understand is a tiny portion) of some one playing the latest metal gear and found it really generic. Listening to idle thumbs makes me think I should at least give it another look.

That being said I am one of those people that doesn't play the game but gets put off by people regurgitating all the memes from it (I'm sure people have lots of games they can relate too with this).

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Twitch posted:

I'm just really angry at MGSV because I found a tape of diarrhea sounds, but it's not categorized as a music tape so I can't blast it out of my helicopter.

If you have the iDroid speaker upgrade you can play it while hiding in a toilet and any guards looking for you won't check it.

But yes, no diarrhea sounds blasting out of your helicopter is frankly a huge misstep and I'm glad Kojima got fired.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Akuma posted:

It's clear you haven't played it, but everybody here is saying "it's not non-interactive for longer than a few minutes, it's a tutorial" and you keep saying "Well I heard it's an hour long movie wall. I haven't played it but that's what I heard. Sure does suck that there's an hour long barely interactive cutscene at the beginning! What a troll." Like you don't believe what people are telling you here because you heard different elsewhere.

In the very part you quote, I say I believe you. Also, there's not monolithic "you." A bunch of people here are *also* saying it's too long! I don't care if it's long or short or just right. Some people (here and otherwise) thought it stood out in contrast to the way the game was portrayed in marketing/coverage, or in contrast with his previous games. The last two bits are what I've been talking about.

My point was not "Boy, that sucks." It was, "It was a weird decision and I question its wisdom." Your point seems to be that it wasn't a decision at all. Well, you've successfully convinced me to not give a poo poo either way.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry, I didn't read that as you seem to have intended. The beginning being "exaggerated" was a bit ambiguous to me and I think I took it the wrong way.

Ultimately people are going to have different perceptions of how long that stuff is, how "interactive" it really is, and how worthwhile it was in setting the scene for the game. Listening to the Beastcast Vinny said it took an hour and he didn't appreciate it because his time is limited. Not only did it not take me an hour (it clocks your game time at the end of each "episode") it felt like I was having meaningful interactions with the game in that time, even if it wasn't in an open world sandbox like the rest of it. Whatever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Woffle posted:

In the very part you quote, I say I believe you. Also, there's not monolithic "you." A bunch of people here are *also* saying it's too long! I don't care if it's long or short or just right. Some people (here and otherwise) thought it stood out in contrast to the way the game was portrayed in marketing/coverage, or in contrast with his previous games. The last two bits are what I've been talking about.

My point was not "Boy, that sucks." It was, "It was a weird decision and I question its wisdom." Your point seems to be that it wasn't a decision at all. Well, you've successfully convinced me to not give a poo poo either way.

Stop being a baby about it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Btw the very first footage ever shown of the game years ago was the very clearly scripted opening of the game so if people think the marketing was deceptive they're just... Wrong? Like I enjoyed it but no part of it was surprising because of that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Stop being a baby about it.

Stop, in general.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
For a thread about gaming podcasts y'all get loving insufferable from time to time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

EC posted:

For a thread about gaming podcasts y'all get loving insufferable from time to time.

I seem to be completely out of the loop on all this stuff. I never know what people are arguing about.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
idk why that guy who quoted gary talking about me said i didn't believe in mental illness or whatever, i don't know anything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

idk why that guy who quoted gary talking about me said i didn't believe in mental illness or whatever, i don't know anything.

If you're talking about me, I'm not talking about you. It's the guy that acted like Thousand Door ate his dog.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

After the Asperger's Anime guy, the Swastika guy, and the Glorious Nippon guy, I just kinda assume that anyone getting salty at Gary or Kole is just a loving idiot and leave it at that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You heard it here first, Gary and kole are infallible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

You heard it here first, Gary and kole are infallible.

We're not. At the same time, those three incidents were specifically dumb bullshit. I had forgotten about swastika-gate.

• Locked thread