Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The food in that TV dinner is probably worse for you overall than a day or two of minor food poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

'kay, cool. I'll throw the rest out and stop being lazy about cooking.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Dilb posted:

If it's still cool it should be fine to cook. 4 hours would be too long if it were contaminated and at room temperature, but the crockpot should have done a good job of insulating it and keeping it from warming up to the point where rapid bacterial growth could happen.

Ended up chucking it. I figured if it was a steak or something I could cook to well done quickly, I mightve tried it. But the sauce had kind of coagulation and I figured even if it was safe, it still might not be tasty.

Found a new excellent pizza joint so the night isn't a total loss.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Worrying about food poisoning can often tie up your stomach in knots and you won't know if it's the food poisoning or the worrying about food poisoning that's making your stomach hurt. That is, until you start barfing and shooting diarrhea out of your butt.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

BattleCattle posted:

I had a sweet potato once.

It was pretty good.

I'd eat them more if I didn't live in a desert.

I live in a desert. Eat sweet potatoes all the time. Just roasted with olive oil, smoked paprika, salt, cumin. So good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sweet potatoes are awesome, and the only people who can say sweet potatotes suck are people who suck at cooking sweet potatoes

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I wouldn't go that far. They're ok, as mentioned they go really well with Indian spices and cumin.
Main downside of them is you can't get them crispy like regular potatoes. Also when you use regular potatoes, you have the option of using carrot, pumpkin and butternut.
With sweet potatoes, it's same colour (carrot), same texture (butternut/pumpkin), so it limits your other veg option more than regular potatoes.
But sweet potatoes are OK of you cook them with heaps of greens, and use cumin and other spices for a curry, or chuck them in a risotto or something.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Disco Salmon posted:

Yup same here.

I salt and pepper both sides as well (or add dry rub) and wrap them so the meat side is facing down, then let them cook in their own juices. After the 2-4 hours, I unwrap them, turn so the meat is up, sauce them and put them back under the broiler to get them nice and yummy. Works like a treat too, and they usually turn out fantastic.

Bob Morales posted:

if I wrap them in foil they come out greasy as gently caress. What do I do?

Drifter posted:

cook them on a grate with a pan to catch the drippings beneath them. most of the grease should just flow out and down.

Little late but it depends on the ribs I get. Sometimes they are more fatty than others. Regardless, if they look like they are going to be greasy....I have a large foil pan I use that I stick a big cooking rack in, place the ribs there and cover the ribs over the top of the pan. Then cook per usual. Its a really low pan rack, so the ribs still braise in the juice, but when they flip the grease runs off into the bottom of the pan and its not so greasy that way. I'm really picky about the ribs I buy though, since my husband hates fatty ribs...so I try hard to get the baby backs that seem to be more meaty.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Food poisoning typically sets in days after the food you ate. It's just the truckloads of grease, carbs, sugar, and salt you just put in your body.

Eh, it depends, quite a few pathogens have a much faster onset. I think staph gastroenteritis can show up in just an hour after ingestion?

But yeah, TV dinner is so processed it's probably more sterile than a surgical unit. :v:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

coronaball posted:

I am an idiot. I took a pot roast out of the fridge, dumped it in the crock pot, put all the other poo poo and turned it on low at about 12:30 (4 hours ago). I got back a little bit ago and noticed that the house didn't smell like pot roast because I HAD FORGOTTEN TO PLUG IN THE loving CROCK POT.

It's still cool to the touch, but 4 hours at room temp.......I'm going to have to order a pizza tonight, aren't I?

Honestly, if it was just for me I'd say gently caress it and made sure it came to a boil, but I am bucking what is normally acceptable. Was this a raw pot roast or previously cooked?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Going to a festival tomorrow and want to brew up a killer batch of Spicy Blood Mary mix to rest overnight. Anyone got something without 20 ingredients?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Garden did good this year and I have tons of kale.

Couple things...

1. I've had it in all kinds of salads / raw preps usually bruised with a little oil and citrus.
2. I've made tons of kale chips etc.

What else could I do with a bunch of kale besides the above? Not really a huge fan of it raw personally.

Any dishes that it could get tossed into or that would use a lot of it that yall can think of?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Make daal and add in a bunch of chopped kale.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka (Use more spices if you like than specified)

A really good simple pasta dish is to saute kale with some garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil, toss with pasta, pasta cooking water, more olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Hit that with some parm or you could have added some sardines to the pan for more protein.

You can make kimchi with most vegetables, kale works great. http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi

Saute some onion, some sort of smoked pork if you have it, add in some garlic and red pepper flakes, kale and braise, season with vinegar and s+p.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mich posted:

Make daal and add in a bunch of chopped kale.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka (Use more spices if you like than specified)

A really good simple pasta dish is to saute kale with some garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil, toss with pasta, pasta cooking water, more olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Hit that with some parm or you could have added some sardines to the pan for more protein.

You can make kimchi with most vegetables, kale works great. http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi

Saute some onion, some sort of smoked pork if you have it, add in some garlic and red pepper flakes, kale and braise, season with vinegar and s+p.

oh cool, didn't think about kimchi for it, I've made a few batches recently that were good. Same for the smoked pork, I've got a little less than half a shoulder left and it's all the drier and fattier bits which would go well cooked down into something anyways.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
yeah, I've thrown kale in pasta dishes, frittatas, quiches, curries, and risotto with butternut squash. Anything that I usually used spinach in. I just saute it with a little butter first.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Worrying about food poisoning can often tie up your stomach in knots and you won't know if it's the food poisoning or the worrying about food poisoning that's making your stomach hurt. That is, until you start barfing and shooting diarrhea out of your butt.

If someone has to ask if they have food poisoning they generally seem to have an upset stomach, not food poisoning. You're not kidding about the last part.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

angor posted:

I live in a desert. Eat sweet potatoes all the time. Just roasted with olive oil, smoked paprika, salt, cumin. So good.

:agreed:

I use them as a simple side dish all the time. Preheat the oven to 350F, cut the potato into quarters lengthwise and then cut into chunks about 1/2 inch thick. Toss it in a mixing bowl with enough olive oil to just coat and add paprika, salt, pepper to taste plus optional dried parsley for color. Dump it into a pan and roast for 45-60 minutes or until the chunks start to dry on the flat sides and crisp on the edges. You can flip the chunks around at about 30 minutes if you want a more even color.

It makes a great filling side dish on a budget with a light sweet/salt tang and a bit of mild smoky heat from the paprika. I haven't tried cumin yet but that seems like it'd fit right in.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

goodness posted:

Going to a festival tomorrow and want to brew up a killer batch of Spicy Blood Mary mix to rest overnight. Anyone got something without 20 ingredients?

Add to tomato juice:

Salt
Horseradish
Worcestershire
Lemon
Black pepper
More horseradish

franco
Jan 3, 2003
So I bought some Komodo Dragon chillies on a whim. Around 1.4 million Scoville units - four times hotter than your average Scotch Bonnet. Given that I'm not L.A. Beast and don't plan to just munch one to prove my "manliness" and then die from respiratory complications, what could I use them for that would be a) tasty and b) not lethal?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

franco posted:

So I bought some Komodo Dragon chillies on a whim. Around 1.4 million Scoville units - four times hotter than your average Scotch Bonnet. Given that I'm not L.A. Beast and don't plan to just munch one to prove my "manliness" and then die from respiratory complications, what could I use them for that would be a) tasty and b) not lethal?
Use one of them anyplace you'd otherwise use four habs---sauces, stir-fries, whatever. If you're looking to go through a shitload of them you can also do something like make a sambal or a jelly or whatever using a bunch of them and then just use it as a condiment, portioning appropriately for your personal pain threshold.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone know how to make this:

It's aloe vera cubes in a light syrup/juice. They're a buck each at the local asian mart, but I'm about to single handedly clean them out.
They sell the actual plants, so I figure I'd try my hand at it at least once.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Roxy Rouge posted:

Add to tomato juice:

Salt
Horseradish
Worcestershire
Lemon
Black pepper
More horseradish

Make it celery salt instead of salt, and add habanero Tabasco sauce.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

That Works posted:

Garden did good this year and I have tons of kale.

Couple things...

1. I've had it in all kinds of salads / raw preps usually bruised with a little oil and citrus.
2. I've made tons of kale chips etc.

What else could I do with a bunch of kale besides the above? Not really a huge fan of it raw personally.

Any dishes that it could get tossed into or that would use a lot of it that yall can think of?

Throw coconut at it. In a turkey roaster, combine 3 lbs kale that you've lightly rubbed with vegetable oil, spices (ground cumin, turmeric, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper), lots of garlic, 2 cups coconut milk, and 2 cups water. You then cover it up and bake it for an hour and change at 350. This uses a lot of kale at once. It's so tasty when it's done.

The leftovers can be puréed in a blender and added to soup quite happily. Especially good with potato and vegetables.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

If I put my cast iron skillet in the oven for a self-cleaning cycle will it unleash an unholy reeking smoke in my house?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

If I put my cast iron skillet in the oven for a self-cleaning cycle will it unleash an unholy reeking smoke in my house?

It will smell up your house and not in a good way but in my experience the actual amount of smoke is limited.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dear GWS, how do I Rice? What does it mean if a rice is parboiled? What makes some varieties cook longer? Which kinds are good for what? How cheaply can I get rice without seriously undercutting the quality? Is a rice that cooks in under 20 minutes still a good rice? Does it matter whether it's a long or short grain? Is brown rice superior in every conceivable way? I'm starting on the voyage of low-budget cooking and rice seems like a good option but there's probably at least a dozen varieties at the grocery store and it's slightly overwhelming.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

YggiDee posted:

Dear GWS, how do I Rice? What does it mean if a rice is parboiled? What makes some varieties cook longer? Which kinds are good for what? How cheaply can I get rice without seriously undercutting the quality? Is a rice that cooks in under 20 minutes still a good rice? Does it matter whether it's a long or short grain? Is brown rice superior in every conceivable way? I'm starting on the voyage of low-budget cooking and rice seems like a good option but there's probably at least a dozen varieties at the grocery store and it's slightly overwhelming.

How to rice: get a rice cooker. Use some amount of water that is 1.5 to 2.0 times the rice (by volume) to cook. Less water= firmer rice, more water= stickier rice. You can use a pot, but... Just get a rice cooker.

Parboiled rice is like uncle ben's or minute rice. It's cooked almost all the way and then dried out again before you buy it. It only takes a little while to cook and it comes out tasting and texturing like trash.

I don't know why some rices take longer to cook than others. That's one reason why a rice cooker is really nice to have. The cooker can tell by the temperature of the pot when the liquid water is gone. That's how it does its magic.

You can get really good rice for real cheap if you do it right. Buy a big bag from an ethnic market. 10 lbs for ~$10 is a good price for great basmati near me. That same bag is three times as much at the big chain grocer.

The type of rice you buy depends on what you want to do with it. Indian/Persian: basmati; "Asian" dishes or familiar "regular" white rice: jasmine, calrose; arborio for risotto; brown rice for exra vitamins; wild rice if you like wild rice or want the colors. Et cetera. Don't let that deter you from buying a big bag of whatever you like. It'll all work in a stir fry or a curry or whatever. Those are just traditions.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

YggiDee posted:

The post above is a good start for your questions.

If you want a pretty simple "good for a lot of applications" start with a bag of Jasmine rice. Technically its a long grain white rice. It's good in a lot of stuff or just on its own. Using different varieties are largely recipe or preference dependent so telling people here what kind of stuff you want to use the rice in / with would help as well.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

YggiDee posted:

Parboiled rice is partially cooked so it hydrates and cooks faster. It's mushy, tasteless garbage.

What you want is a medium or long grain rice, white or brown (though white rice cooks significantly faster but isn't as nutritious). Wash it in a sieve until the water runs clear, then add it to boiling, salted water or stock. I use roughly a 2:3 portion of rice to water by volume, but I mainly cook basmati - shorter grain rice takes on more water. A few aromatics or whole spices make a nice addition here, too. Lower the heat to medium low, then clamp a lid on the pot and simmer, gently, for 5 minutes with an electric stove or 10 minutes on gas. Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 or 15 minutes, then open the top and dump it into a bowl. Fluff a bit with a fork, and enjoy perfectly cooked rice. I like to add a tarka at this point, or some lemon juice or olive oil or something, but you certainly don't have to.

Note that those cooking times are based on white rice. I'm not nearly as experienced with brown rice. The trick with either kind is to make steaming most of the cooking time by using a tight fitting lid and less water.

If you have a pressure cooker, you can make even better rice. It takes about the same amount of time, but it has a better texture.

Edit: beaten while phone posting! Oh well, still going to leave this here

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 6, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks for all the responses! When I finish off the bag of parboiled I think I'll check out the Jasmine. Like I said, I'm just starting on my Rice Adventure, so I haven't progressed much past cook rice, add egg and/or beans. I added a tomato once. Let's see... I like the occasional stir-fry? I might try Jambalaya later, that's something I know I like. I've tried curry a few times, I wasn't crazy about it but there's a million kinds of curry so I'm not sure it was just the specific dish I wasn't a fan of. And I finally found the rice cooker my parents got me, so that should help too. Also I don't know if it's relevant but I'm one of those people who is kind of weenie about spicy foods.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
When I make stew, I like to caramelize my onions, peppers, celery, and the like before adding it to the main pot. Is that a silly waste of time? I don't see other people doing it.

Related onion question, when caramelizing onions/peppers for sausages or burgers I like add liquid flavors like teriyaki or bourbon, when is the right time to add those liquids? I have been adding them at the end and deglazing with them but that makes the onions slightly tough. Basically I'm asking what is the right way to do this?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wormil posted:

When I make stew, I like to caramelize my onions, peppers, celery, and the like before adding it to the main pot. Is that a silly waste of time? I don't see other people doing it.
No, that's a good expenditure of time. It makes your stew taste deeper and richer.

wormil posted:

Related onion question, when caramelizing onions/peppers for sausages or burgers I like add liquid flavors like teriyaki or bourbon, when is the right time to add those liquids? I have been adding them at the end and deglazing with them but that makes the onions slightly tough. Basically I'm asking what is the right way to do this?

What you do is what I do. I don't think there's a better way. Maybe if you make a reduction of whatever flavoring then just stir it into the onions at the end it might be better?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

wormil posted:

I would suggest a slightly different approach: brown your meat in the main pan, take it out and set aside, then deglaze with your onions, peppers etc. add spices and meat back in, then liquids when appropriate.

That way everything is kept in the same pan, and you don't lose any of the delicious bits that you otherwise miss by doing things in different pans.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

wormil posted:

Do you mean sweat them on low heat for 40min until they taste sweet, or just putting some colour on them?

I only proper caramelize when they're going into a fast baked pie or something. For stews, braises, slow cooker meals I just saute them for some colour, I don't do the full 40min caramelize cook time as I assume with a long cook time a stew has they get that flavour anyway.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 6, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Speaking of stew, Mrs. Squashy tried to make me some beef stew out of boneless chuck (pre-cut into stew chunks). She stewed it on low for like 11 hours, with carrots, diakon, greens and some spices... and the meat came out tough and dry? How is that possible with such a long cook?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Speaking of stew, Mrs. Squashy tried to make me some beef stew out of boneless chuck (pre-cut into stew chunks). She stewed it on low for like 11 hours, with carrots, diakon, greens and some spices... and the meat came out tough and dry? How is that possible with such a long cook?

Because you probably overcooked it.

Also, was it labeled specifically chuck? A lot of times those precut stew packs are just hunks of all sorts of things.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Because you probably overcooked it.

Hmmmm.... The only way I make beef stew is in the pressure cooker, but she wanted to use the crock pot. How long is appropriate/too long?

Casu Marzu posted:

Also, was it labeled specifically chuck? A lot of times those precut stew packs are just hunks of all sorts of things.

Yeah, I suggested that to her, and she insisted it was labeled as "chuck".

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, overcooked. Using a slow cooker there's a sweet spot that if you go past, meat toughens up.
Depends on the crock pot thermostat and design, and also the meat quality, but I've never got a good result after 7 hrs on my particular slow cooker.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
It's most likely too high a temperature, with prolonged exposure to that temp.

"Many braise and stew recipes call for temperatures near the boiling point, which will badly dry out all but the fattiest or most gelatinous cuts of meat.
Beware of recipes that call for an oven temperature over 180F / 80C." - McGee - Keys To Good Cooking. P. 265.

Most crockpots I've used have had around 180F as the low temperature. Admittedly, I measure this by filling it with water and letting it go for an hour before temping so I doubt it's a scientific measurement, but I've not used a crock pot for a couple of years now because of that. So every stew/curry/chilli etc I've made has been low and slow on the stove top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

As others have said depends on a lot of things but for me with beef anything other than 6 hours or so seems to be problematic unless its a really fatty cut. For some reason this doesn't apply to chili though but the meat there is in very small pieces and is in a fairly acidic preparation.