Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I think you're thinking of X-men Evolution which introduced X-23.

Really? Does anyone have backstory on how this came about?

I always thought it was editorial's idea to create X-23 to appeal to all those Wolverine fans who just couldn't find a way to jack off to hairy, ol' Logan. It seems out of character for a cartoon company to decide to add more female characters, given how frequently they cite the antiquated stereotype that young girls don't watch cartoons aimed at boys (read: any cartoon not centering on makeup, school dances or ponies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

The 90's Spider-Man cartoon is amazing if only that it had the most convuluted plot in any superhero animated project ever. Like 8 part serials and it was all insane

Also Venom drove a big rig one time

SHOCKEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

SHOCKEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE ME

I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWRjsqoSWTI

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ecavalli posted:

I always thought it was editorial's idea to create X-23 to appeal to all those Wolverine fans who just couldn't find a way to jack off to hairy, ol' Logan. It seems out of character for a cartoon company to decide to add more female characters, given how frequently they cite the antiquated stereotype that young girls don't watch cartoons aimed at boys (read: any cartoon not centering on makeup, school dances or ponies).

Basically evolution was a story about teenage mutants doing teenager things while also being hated mutant superheroes. Wolverine was kept at his own age mostly, taking on a role as teacher/protector of the younger ones, including teen cyclops and Jean. They realized that making wolverine old meant he could not take part in the teen drama and love triangles and stuff, so they made another character. They decided to make X-23 a girl because they weren't stupid and they actually did a pretty good job getting gender parity, outside of some... Questionable episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE ME

I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWRjsqoSWTI

Of course, if I actually met Christopher Daniel Barnes, I wouldn't ask him to say that line.

No, I'd like to hear his take on COVERED WITH SCORPIONS from the X-Men cartoon.

(GET THEM OFFFF MEEEEE!)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ecavalli posted:

Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost were writers and producers on the show and also wrote comics.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are there any stories where you spend a lot of time with J Jonah Jameson? I want to really get to know him outside the Bugle.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Did Scalped become terrible at some point? After a year of publication it was receiving glowing praise from all the critics, so I bought all the trades and loved what I read, but stopped following the book shortly after for various unimportant reasons. Since that time I've heard almost no mention of it, which usually indicates a dramatic drop in quality (see also: Fables and everything Robert Kirkman's written).

So, how is Scalped currently? Should I pick up where I left off, or will I just be disappointed?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought Aaron finished it years ago. I had no idea it was still a thing.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

X-O posted:

I thought Aaron finished it years ago. I had no idea it was still a thing.

Huh. It looks like you're right. The 60-issue run came to an end in 2012.

So, my question stands. Did it become terrible at any point between 2008 and 2012?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ecavalli posted:

So, my question stands. Did it become terrible at any point between 2008 and 2012?

Probably not, I didn't read it when it came out but checked some random trades out of the library, some of which were later in the series and everything seemed pretty solid. It's what put Aaron on the map as a writer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Edit: Nevermind wrong thread.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

ecavalli posted:

I tought it was amazing all the way. Easily one of the best series I have read in years.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

ecavalli posted:

It is goes from being amazing to great and then back to amazing in the middle.

One of the strongest vertigo titles ever. Period.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Scalped is really good but stays really bleak throughout the whole thing.
Aaron's stuff is awesome, but I prefer his "they took my dragon, but they didn't take my life. The fools" like Weirdworld over "I will fight an oppressive system to help my oppressed people."

Has Jason Aaron ever written a bad book? His Wolverine was meh, but still had some great issues.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Original Sin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought Original Sin was pretty good, as event books go. Had some pretty great tie-ins while telling a neat little story. Kind of didn't stick the landing but eh. The only real status quo changing thing it did was make Thor unworthy and put Bucky in space in a series nobody read, so it wasn't too consequential in the long run either instead of trying to be some WORLD-SHATTERING EVENT

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I thought Original Sin was pretty good, as event books go. Had some pretty great tie-ins while telling a neat little story. Kind of didn't stick the landing but eh. The only real status quo changing thing it did was make Thor unworthy and put Bucky in space in a series nobody read, so it wasn't too consequential in the long run either instead of trying to be some WORLD-SHATTERING EVENT

It was a pretty big catalyst for Hickman's Avengers too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Original Sin was kind of a mess. So much of it came off as kind of just spinning wheels and not really going anywhere.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The problem with Original Sin is that it did a lot of setup for later plots that either weren't in Original Sin or... haven't been followed up on much. When you have a series based around a mystery, it should resolve that mystery, but Original Sin just left too many danglers (most of which are still very much dangling), even without taking into account that the plot takes a header in the final act.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The problem with Original Sin is that it did a lot of setup for later plots that either weren't in Original Sin or... haven't been followed up on much. When you have a series based around a mystery, it should resolve that mystery, but Original Sin just left too many danglers (most of which are still very much dangling), even without taking into account that the plot takes a header in the final act.

The mystery in Original Sin was solved in the book. The only lingering mystery from side threads is what Nick Fury said to Thor to make him unworthy, and since Aaron is still writing Thor, I'm pretty sure it's going to be addressed, the question is if he sticks the landing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well there's other stuff like the Eye or what exactly happened to Nick Fury (implied, yes, but unclear) or the New Midas Empire or all the other teasers towards the end. And, yes, Thor. I would be unsurprised if Aaron will touch upon some of them at some point (given he did a followup to his Spider-Man & Wolverine series, of all things), but if you're going to have teasers, it helps if there's an obvious throughline to where you can follow those plot threads instead of having them be unceremoniously dropped for the most part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Didn't Aaron write Hulk for a while? That book was pretty lovely.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
So Daredevil himself made his baton, right? Has he made any 'trick batons', so to speak? Also, that's not a bad construction for a blind man who is known for his law knowledge instead of engineering prowess. Does Daredevil make anything else?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

toanoradian posted:

So Daredevil himself made his baton, right? Has he made any 'trick batons', so to speak? Also, that's not a bad construction for a blind man who is known for his law knowledge instead of engineering prowess. Does Daredevil make anything else?

His own costumes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

His own costumes.

"Made the costume myself...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'll always be impressed with how well Stan Lee creations always do with making their own costumes, as most of them are single men in their 20s living in the early 60s. What would Daredevil even be doing owning a sewing machine? You know he doesn't put his own buttons back on his jacket when they fall off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

His own costumes.

"It was yellow?"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

"Felt red to me!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course, if you go by costume design, you'd think the OG Daredevil was the blindest.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why is Captain SS fighting Hitler?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Why is Captain SS fighting Hitler?

You can see the same question on Hitler's face.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
:sigh:

It actually makes me really sad every time I see Japanese people from old comic books. So depressing.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 8, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a vampire.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I literally cannot tell because artists back then reguarly drew Japanese people as demonic hobgoblins.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well I mean the Hobgoblin is a yellow guy that flies around in the sky and drops bombs on you, so...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WickedHate posted:

:sigh:

It actually makes me really sad every time I see Japanese people from old comic books. So depressing.

I thought The Claw was Chinese but maybe not :shrug:

e: I guess all Asians look the same to you, huh?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I literally cannot tell because artists back then reguarly drew Japanese people as demonic hobgoblins.

You should buy a war bond

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm...actually Asian, you know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I'm...actually Asian, you know...

:thejoke: