Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Saw this big scary birb at work.

He's not yelling at me, it's just really hot outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Reminds me of a hawk at the Lindsay Wildlife Museum who lost his poo poo at me, flapping his good wing, squaking over and over again. Someone said his keeper was a real tall guy like me, so he was probably confused why he was not being fed.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://video-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...8c6&oe=55E947AC

This is purrfect.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kwyndig posted:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I never realized porcupines could be so cute! I wonder if their baby quills are soft.

The saddest thing about porcupines?

They love being petted.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Inzombiac posted:

Gosh dang I am jealous of people seeing frogs all the time. I get snakes sometimes and small lizards very rarely but never frogs.

When I had a garden my cat liked to rummage for frogs and stuff. She never actually ate or killed them, just liked to carry them around in her mouth. Of course she'd always forget how awful they tasted and would inevitably end up sat on the grass with a :catstare:, spitting.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Samovar posted:

The saddest thing about porcupines?

They love being petted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5I5H7EeC8k
:unsmith:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

When I had a garden my cat liked to rummage for frogs and stuff. She never actually ate or killed them, just liked to carry them around in her mouth. Of course she'd always forget how awful they tasted and would inevitably end up sat on the grass with a :catstare:, spitting.

Yes okay what the hell is this because all 3 of my cats did this one night with little brown tree frogs. They brought them inside with their mouths and then let them go unharmed and just watched them. Is this a thing that cats do?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Vienna turned 5 weeks old today! :toot:

The worrisome part is that she may turn out to be our first foster failure. Our other cat, Monty, whose always been very sweet with people has been a hissy rage box at all other cats.... except this one. We caught him grooming her yesterday.

Being a couple of blurry cattes

We really weren't looking to get another cat, Monty seemed to be most content by himself, and we want to get a dog some day and are worried that between having one cat already and our three birds, a dog is already kind of a far off notion, and with a kitten in play... it'll only be longer.

But I know cats do really well in pairs if they're properly bonded, and with my fiancee gearing up to be a busy bee in grad school and me working full time, the idea of Monty having a buddy is a nice one.

Guuuuuhhhh.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Looks like its a done deal from here...you have been chosen!! Lucky Vienna though....looks like she will have a wonderful big sibling if you decided to admit the inevitable :P

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
It isn't us who are admitting anything.

We're not the foster failures, really, it's actually Monty himself who will have failed.

But yeah, he really does look like he could be her dad.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/3/9257859/barack-obama-puppy-puppy-PUPPY-SPORTS-PUPPY-iditarod-good-dog

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SwissCM posted:

Yes okay what the hell is this because all 3 of my cats did this one night with little brown tree frogs. They brought them inside with their mouths and then let them go unharmed and just watched them. Is this a thing that cats do?

I think it's just an attention and joy thing. They like watching stuff scurry around - even better if the humans are chasing it. :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee recently did a writeup in the Torchbearer about Smokey, our mascot.

He's so handsome :buddy:

http://torchbearer.utk.edu/2015/08/a-vols-best-friend/

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

SwissCM posted:

I also got a cat who brings in frogs. Totally gentle with them, just likes to watch them jump around, sometimes will bat at them with his paws, but not hard. He also likes to suffocate and crush rodents, like, he never leaves puncture marks on his kills. I've found a squirrel that was completely flattened like it had been deflated, and my only guess as to why is that he suffocated it or broke its back then sat on it for warmth on the cool august morning. He is a sick, psychotic, strangler. Here he is using drug paraphernalia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECC2Dr_IeWY

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MindlessHavok posted:

http://torchbearer.utk.edu/2015/08/a-vols-best-friend/

A noble dogge.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Chili posted:

It isn't us who are admitting anything.

We're not the foster failures, really, it's actually Monty himself who will have failed.

But yeah, he really does look like he could be her dad.

I wonder how much the similarity in looks plays a part in Monty's behavior? Or maybe he just knows Vienna isn't a threat and needs a little care/protection :3:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Ozz81 posted:

I wonder how much the similarity in looks plays a part in Monty's behavior? Or maybe he just knows Vienna isn't a threat and needs a little care/protection :3:

I'm not sure. If I had to guess, it's somewhat circumstantial. The first run in I saw was with an old room mate's cats, both of which were horrible. Then, we housed a feral 6 month old for a bit who seemed to like Monty but he definitely came on a little strong. Then we fostered four really good kittens but they were definitely a little team and it may have been overwhelming.

Then there's Vienna whose just the tiniest most helpless little dust collector...

Pardon the laundry, we've had to adjust our priorities a bit at the moment

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I had a similar thing happen a while back with an ex who had one older cat and then got a 10 week old kitten. The older cat hated the kitten for about 3 days, but then somehow decided that it was her kitten and started mothering it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Croisquessein posted:

Saw this big scary birb at work.

He's not yelling at me, it's just really hot outside.
Looks like he IS yelling, only it's more like "BRO CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS FUCKIN' HEAT" :3:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tendai posted:

Looks like he IS yelling, only it's more like "BRO CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS FUCKIN' HEAT" :3:

I get a falcon that lands on the railing on my back deck and lays there all the time when it's hot out, he does the same thing. Splits his time panting and staring in the window at me wondering if I'm edible

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Azhais posted:

I get a falcon that lands on the railing on my back deck and lays there all the time when it's hot out, he does the same thing. Splits his time panting and staring in the window at me wondering if I'm edible

You should put a wide shallow container of water out for it to splash around in.
I just assume a falcon would do that I dont know

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Azhais posted:

It's phoenix in the summer and will be until late October, so the birds are looking pretty haggard. The grackles usually look like this

But lately look like this

If I had feathers I'd pull them out too in this heat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Porcupines look like they're wearing some kind of Jim Henson-esque costume.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Porcupines look like they're wearing some kind of Jim Henson-esque costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMeuwYvlBI0

Porcupines are goddamn adorable.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That tail wag...:3:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This is my sisters boyfriends dog, Winnie.

I met her twice. Shes the sweetest dog, I havent heard her bark once. She just likes to stand around and be pet, or held. She is a rescue though I dont know of her previous circumstances.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Chili posted:

This slightly tousled kitten is ridiculously cute. How have you not crushed it yet?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

MindlessHavok posted:

Kept my copy just to keep the pics of SmokeyDawg!!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Chili posted:

We really weren't looking to get another cat, Monty seemed to be most content by himself, and we want to get a dog some day and are worried that between having one cat already and our three birds, a dog is already kind of a far off notion, and with a kitten in play... it'll only be longer.

But I know cats do really well in pairs if they're properly bonded, and with my fiancee gearing up to be a busy bee in grad school and me working full time, the idea of Monty having a buddy is a nice one.

Guuuuuhhhh.

Congrats on your new kitten. :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

http://i.imgur.com/XTqwSS3.webm

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Each time it eats a cookie it gains another segment. :3:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Isn't chocolate poisonous to animals, or something? I know it's toxic to dogs, at least.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't chocolate poisonous to animals, or something? I know it's toxic to dogs, at least.

Dogs have to eat something like 1/12 of their weight in chocolate to die. Granted that means about one Kiss for a Chihuahua.
Rodents probably shouldn't have it because they don't handle extra sugar very well.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Lookit this lazy rear end

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
(NWS joke)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Seven baby sneks hatched in Sweden: http://www.dn.se/webb-tv/klipp/nyheter/unik-ormfodsel-i-sverige/

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone. So looks like we wound up with some bad news. This isn't the super bum out thread so I'll just keep this short. We lost Vienna last night. It appears fading kitten syndrome is a real bitch. We're obviously pretty crestfallen and this has been an immensely difficult night. She passed in my hands, she was warm, we were both with her. Monty is doing OK. He tried to finish her dinner, and that was about the only thing he seemed concerned with, so yeah... just being a cat.

We're gonna take a break from fostering for a bit, and though we're currently pretty poor, we're gonna pass along some coin to the mdscpa. Check them out, it's a wonderful no-kill facility that does a lot for our wee furry counterparts and if you have the means and wish to pass something along in honor of little V's short but sweet life, it would be most appreciated.

Oh and I suppose it goes without saying, but pictures of happy teeny tiny kittens would be most appreciated.

Chili has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Sep 5, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Oh no! I'm so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Oh drat, that sucks. My sympathies.

Kitten pics, kitten pics...

and with friends!

(pretty sure I got all of these from this thread originally but whatever)

• Locked thread