Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
Ballians

Shoot page snipe. Speaking of bolians too bad they never did anything with that barber on tng who was obviously a spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

There is no way Miles didn't cobble together a holo-emitter from faulty food replicators and broken Dabo wheels, programmed with an actual personable version of Keiko during her botany thing. It was even in the script, his quarters were full of disparate tech junk that he was very , very insistent not to relocate.

He was by no means 'backed up', but probably quite tired of making love to something that smelled strongly of hasperat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Melchior posted:

The whole format of Trek just wouldn't sell as a series these days.

Doctor Who.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

Doctor Who.

Is for kids and Tumblrettes.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's for anyone who desperately craves serialized sci-fi and as a star truck fan I

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Is for kids and Tumblrettes.

But it sells.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

MikeJF posted:

But it sells.

does it i mean it's a BBC show on a budget it might sell by its standards but a show like start rek needs to do gangbusters and not limp along for 3 or 4 seasons until it gets good, either

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

not limp along for 3 or 4 seasons until it gets good, either

Lol, TNG limped for 2 years before it got good, DS9 limped along for about 3, Voyager limped along for 7, and Enterprise was executed before it's pilot's opening theme even finished and then spent four years as a rotting corpse.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Mondian posted:

Lol, TNG limped for 2 years before it got good, DS9 limped along for about 3, Voyager limped along for 7, and Enterprise was executed before it's pilot's opening theme even finished and then spent four years as a rotting corpse.

right, the point being that if they were to make a new series it would have to be good right out of the gate cause the model that worked in the 80s and 90s aint going to work no more

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Voyager started off OK but the stories kept getting weaker for me, to a point where I stopped watching it altogether in the middle of Season 3. Then for whatever reason I started watching Voyager again and it started to get good after that two-part? episode where the Hirogen turned the ship into a giant Hunting simulator.

Then an over-blatant sign that Voyager's writing was changing was when, sometime around that Hirogen episode (or maybe after) Harry Kim flat out stated to Tom Paris he was no longer going to be a pussy, when Paris notice during a typical bridge duty session that Harry didn't sound like a ball-less wuss anymore. Perhaps someone else (more spergy than me) who saw that episode remembers the exact dialog.

After that I was following the show again. Not sure what happened but the writers and/or actors appeared to fix a few things after the third season, regardless of the big addition of the Booty-Borg crew member.

EDIT: Maybe Ron Moore (of Battlestar Galactica fame) had something do with the show's writing change after the first few seasons? I forgot he was involved with the Voyager series.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 5, 2015

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Literally the most heartwrenching scene in the show. O'Brien has got to be backed up for days. If he isn't loving Bashir on the side, the man's balls must be bluer than those weird blue aliens who show up all the time.

what do you think they're up to in the holosuites

alamo one night last stand

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nnnotime posted:

EDIT: Maybe Ron Moore (of Battlestar Galactica fame) had something do with the show's writing change after the first few seasons? I forgot he was involved with the Voyager series.

they wouldnt let ron moore get anywhere near voyager and he was highly critical of it. heres a great, extremely long interview about it, really great behind the scenes how the sausage is made kinda poo poo

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

i highly recommend copy pasting the text into something readable though

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

nnnotime posted:

Voyager started off OK but the stories kept getting weaker for me, to a point where I stopped watching it altogether in the middle of Season 3. Then for whatever reason I started watching Voyager again and it started to get good after that two-part? episode where the Hirogen turned the ship into a giant Hunting simulator.

Then an over-blatant sign that Voyager's writing was changing was when, sometime around that Hirogen episode (or maybe after) Harry Kim flat out stated to Tom Paris he was no longer going to be a pussy, when Paris notice during a typical bridge duty session that Harry didn't sound like a ball-less wuss anymore. Perhaps someone else (more spergy than me) who saw that episode remembers the exact dialog.

After that I was following the show again. Not sure what happened but the writers and/or actors appeared to fix a few things after the third season, regardless of the big addition of the Booty-Borg crew member.

From what I recall, Voyager started off weak, and then had a long weak period, and then ended weak. The writers were barely trying, or weren't any good. I tend to think they were barely trying, since the doctor and seven of nine scenes were still entertaining, so I think they perked up and actually put some effort into it when they got to write something for one of those 2 characters.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
best ep was when the rock laid the smack down on the big boob borgs candy rear end

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I loved Vic Fontaine.

But the best part about Vic is that the producers wanted Frank Sinatra Jr for the role. So they asked him, and he said yes of course. But he wanted to be an alien. And they said "Sorry Frank, you need to be a human". And he said "Then I'm not going to do it".

Which sounds silly as gently caress until you read this article http://thestacks.deadspin.com/frank-sinatra-jr-is-worth-six-buddy-grecos-1000516479

and you can understand how very much Frank Sinatra Jr wanted to not be who he was.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I honestly do think Trek using the movie cast could be done pretty well as a premium cable series on something like Showtime or AMC. It's not like most the cast is above doing television, as I think just about half of them have been doing just that pretty consistently. Do it as a 8-13 episodes seasons or something and try to build it up to Walking Dead/GoT popularity.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lol u guys see that dope rear end 'shop tho???

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think the Trek movie cast would do pretty well sealed in a barrel an dropped into a chasm. Anyone that starred in a movie more recently than or more successful or more forgettable than "Masters Of The Universe" should be ineligible for pulling TV Trek duty.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought Sinatra Jr. turned it down because they asked him to literally play his dad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think the Trek movie cast would do pretty well sealed in a barrel an dropped into a chasm. Anyone that starred in a movie more recently than or more successful or more forgettable than "Masters Of The Universe" should be ineligible for pulling TV Trek duty.

Don't you dare say anything bad about Karl Urban.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MikeJF posted:

Don't you dare say anything bad about Karl Urban.

Horse master would be granted reprieve from the barrel should he agree, or any of the others agree, that Movie Trek is garage and they'll not work on any trek property ever again, as they are wholly culpable for keeping Armin Shimerman out of a pair of latex rubber lobes.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
here my take on Voyager.
I still think that the Voyager premise was one of the best. And if they had managed to execute it on a DS9 level, it would have been very good.

I also believe that Star Trek was best when it conciously showed the contradictions in the Federations explorer/humanistic philosophy.

Imo integral to the premise were:
-> Two crews, one very fresh and idealistic and one with little moral boundaries:
In the actual series, the Janeway and the Federation won very quickly, both in a moral and an organizational sense. I think this was a mistake and the Federation philosophy should have been challenged much more frequently without such a clear outcome. They abandoned the interesting tension too quickly.

-> Being a small, non long- range Ship with limited supplies:
This one is obvious. In the end, Voyager was never really in danger of running out of energy or food or even shuttles or photon torpedos. The series could have been much more interesting

-> Being a Federation ship in literal Space Africa:
I thought the beginning with the Kazon was not a bad start, because the technological superiority of the Federation always comes with a lot of moral superiority complex stuff in Star Trek. So even though one the one side Voyager is a ship in desperate need of certain supplies, like Dilithium, they DO have the technology to make a real impact in the local politics. Btw. the local politics of Space Africa could have been much more developed. So on the one hand Voyager is technological superior to any one thing, but since it is not a long range vessel it is also interedepended to the hosed up situation, forced to make real compromises.

-> Getting home is ultimately almost impossible:
The show showed too quickly that there are plenty Deus-Ex Machinas for getting home. That only the second generation of Voyager might actually see Earth (without having ever been there) is a concept they should have not deviated from.

So take these four central topics of Voyager and you'll see that the series abandoned each one sooner rather than later.
A good producer would have set these premises "fixed" in the production bible (or something), and we'd have at least four to five good seasons of Voyager.

A sidenote on DS9. I even like the earlier seasons because they are indeed already in the serial format. If you go back and watch them, the interplay between Cardassians and Bajorans and the Federation as a "Peacekeeping" force is really quite interesting and well done. It gets swallowed up somewhat by sillyness in the episodes, but it is there.
You have to give the writers credit here. Both DS9 and Voyager had really interesting and unique premises, taking what we know about the superior TNG Federation to interesting places. You'd be hard pressed to find any SciFi series today or otherwise with better early conceptual writing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:aaaaa: Remember the gold half-models of the ships named Enterprise from TNG? Ronald D. Moore has had them for twenty years. He rescued them from a dumpster. They're now mounted again, I can only assume on his living room wall.

https://twitter.com/RonDMoore/status/601911511821324288

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Boner Slam posted:

The show showed too quickly that there are plenty Deus-Ex Machinas for getting home. That only the second generation of Voyager might actually see Earth (without having ever been there) is a concept they should have not deviated from.

The early development stuff for Voyager seemed pretty focused on that. The 75 year journey was based on going nonstop at maximum warp, the realistic figure was 200-400 years and that was supposed to be the omnipresent danger. Its a shame they abandoned that feeling, but in regards to deus-ex machinas, finding ancient alien super technologies is standard in Trek so I'm not sure how you're disappointed in that.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mondian posted:

The early development stuff for Voyager seemed pretty focused on that. The 75 year journey was based on going nonstop at maximum warp, the realistic figure was 200-400 years and that was supposed to be the omnipresent danger. Its a shame they abandoned that feeling, but in regards to deus-ex machinas, finding ancient alien super technologies is standard in Trek so I'm not sure how you're disappointed in that.

I don't get what the big deal was; Kirk went to the very edge of the Milky Way as a standard mission. Why didn't they just use the tech he had 100 years ago to just warp back in an afternoon?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mondian posted:

This is not quite true. DS9 wasn't limping along, Duet was the first season and was one of the best Trek episodes, hands down. Which was really good, considering it was essentially a mid-season replacement, which may have been rushed due to a desire to compete with Babylon 5. DS9 was just so much better as a result of all the big wigs wanting to push Voyager and the new Paramount TV Network and the first TNG movie not paying attention, which let the writers start getting really interesting and good, that it looks like it "limped along". Yeah, there were a few too many attempts to tie to new series into TNG early on, and a few goofy filler episodes, but that's hardly "limping along". TNG limped along for a year figuring out if they were going to stick around, and figuring out what their voice was, Voyager limped along doing the same thing but for seven years, DS9 found their voice early in the first season and was pretty solid early on, it just got louder after season 3.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
Janeway should have had that forced integration on pain of death conscription scene with Chakotay and the maquis in the first episode like she did with that nova class alien gas chamber ship

Then we could spend the first season with growing animosity towards the two crews, with the season cliffhanger having the maquis with a successful coup but finding out both sins need each other or some nonsense.

Rynder fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 5, 2015

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The Bible posted:

I don't get what the big deal was; Kirk went to the very edge of the Milky Way as a standard mission. Why didn't they just use the tech he had 100 years ago to just warp back in an afternoon?

Or when the dominion war was heating up why didn't they use Spock's time travel implosion formula to go back a few months and mine the wormhole before the dominion flew a bunch of armadas through it.

My Q-Face posted:

drooling over DS9

Look dude, I love DS9 too, but it was mostly alien of the week bullshit until the dominion started showing up and poo poo doesn't really get great until after Tain fucks up and starts a war late into season three.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Mondian posted:

Or when the dominion war was heating up why didn't they use Spock's time travel implosion formula to go back a few months and mine the wormhole before the dominion flew a bunch of armadas through it.

i just assume every race is constantly flying around suns to go back in time, but future timeships keep sending them back or correcting the timeline

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Mondian posted:

Look dude, I love DS9 too, but it was mostly alien of the week bullshit until the dominion started showing up and poo poo doesn't really get great until after Tain fucks up and starts a war late into season three.

There were a few alien of the week, and TNG tie-in of the week episodes early on, but the Cardassian/Bajoran political and religious stuff was easily equal to the dominion stuff, and that started in season 1. Garak started in season 1. (And it wouldn't have happened without building up the Cardassians and especially Garak and Tain and etc)

As I said, it got better later on, but it didn't start off trying to figure itself out like the other series did.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bible posted:

The galactic disk is only about a thousand light-years thick, leaving's not that hard.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

My Q-Face posted:

There were a few alien of the week

You know nothing, Tosk Snow.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

You know nothing, Tosk Snow.

I lolled

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i'd say that ds9 didn't "find its feet" overall tone-wise until the ~third season by the standards ds9 is usually held to, sure, but on rewatching it now im surprised at how strong a showing it has out the gate. tng had no idea what it was trying to do for the first season and the second is still very shaky, whereas ds9 is way more confident with the material. eps like Run Along Home might not have been what the series became about but its still a far better and more confident showing than any of tng's first season stuff. like, duet, holy fuckin poo poo is that some excellent star trek, and its one of the very first clear characterizations of the bajoran occupation in the entire series

i say to people, start TNG with the pilot then skip straight to season two, but ds9 i say to just watch the whole dang thing

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
now enabran tain, i can get in to

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
computer, give me a cardasssian neck wobble

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Boner Slam posted:

I like that early on she finds out one of the crew is pregnant and muses about them becoming a generational ship. Then no one else ever gets pregnant again. Apparently everyone else on the crew is like "Nope, not bringing a kid onto this deathtrap".

Which conveniently saved them from having to set up daycare and school for the children of their over-worked crew.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Janeway: "There's coffee in that nebula!"

Me: I'm out, gently caress this

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Which conveniently saved them from having to set up daycare and school for the children of their over-worked crew.

Except later on they do have to and they pick basically the worst person on the ship to be the child carer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Tiberius Christ posted:

Janeway: "There's coffee in that nebula!"

Me: I'm out, gently caress this

i enjoyed that bit b/c its well established in star trek that nebulae damage a starship's hull/have some other deleterious effects that always without fail prevents people from hiding in them for very long. centuries away from the nearest starfleet drydock and she's endangering the ship for some fuckin coffee

• Locked thread