Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

The game didn't tell you this until you died to him like twenty times without shutting off the game. It was pretty bad yeah.

I'm pretty sure you never actually had to die in order to get told that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
On the more technical end it's trying to reinstall itself because as far as Steam is concerned you never uninstalled the beta at a system level so it's just carrying that over.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

The game didn't tell you this until you died to him like twenty times without shutting off the game. It was pretty bad yeah.

To be fair it was somewhat telegraphed. He starts the fight by talking about how he knows you are on a console, can read it's systems/inputs, and then takes control of your controller/"TV".

You are supposed to view him as a 4th wall breaking character, and thus beat him by breaking the 4th wall yourself, ie changing your controller to something he can't control.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 5, 2015

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Guys, what's a chill game to play while being distracted by something else and/or needing to alt-tab constantly? Ideally something that doesn't require sound so I can just listen to my own music?

JayMax fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 5, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

JayMax posted:

Guys, what's a chill game that you can play while being distracted by something else and/or need to alt-tab out of constantly? Ideally something that doesn't require sound so I can just listen to my own music?

Hexcells. And then Hexcells Plus. And then Hexcells Infinite.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Because that's explicitly what it was, the stinger says so. I actually thought that was still canon, if not part of "Snake's" history.

It was in the Special Missions that had you going back through Ghost Babel doing various tasks, and getting told more about stuff going on by someone called No. 4. At the end of that, you get this bit:

No. 4 posted:

Your training is complete.
Well done.
Your combat capability is now undoubtedly beyond that of Solid Snake at the time of Galuade's fall.
Your time is about to come.
Get some rest for now....Jack.

It's obvious who he's talking to, but the Galuade Incident didn't actually happen in MGS2's timeline though Campbell directly references it when going crazy, and Outer Heaven did feature in Ghost Babel so it's a little contradictory that Raiden wouldn't recognize the name, but those are really the only sticking points and it's not that hard to handwave it.

Then again, the Five-seveN was in MGS4.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I also always liked the fan-theory that Twin Snakes was the VR training mission that Raiden took part in, its why Twin Snakes is all actiony and the like.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Freak Futanari posted:

I'm pretty sure you never actually had to die in order to get told that.

You don't, Campbell drops some hints if you talk to him on the codec and eventually just straight-up says "Snake, I've got it! Use the second controller port!" They really couldn't have telegraphed it any harder.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I remember that I went behind the desk of Psycho's boss room and I received a call from Campbell straight up telling me that I should switch the controller ports. I was probably dying way too many times, though, because I couldn't really reproduce that call since then.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I think you just have to call him a couple times.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Galaga Galaxian posted:

According to my steam friends screenshot feed, MGSV has this:

It has animes and therefore Is Good.

However, that is clearly a 2010s anime art style, while MGSV, afaik, takes place in the 80s (a time of far superior anime art, IMO) therefore, my verisimilitude is shattered. :goonsay:
Why has the red white and blue anime girl cut off Epic Mickey's hand and attached it to the end of Epic Mickey's Magic Paintbrush?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why has the red white and blue anime girl cut off Epic Mickey's hand and attached it to the end of Epic Mickey's Magic Paintbrush?

All Mickey ever was was a pair of possessed gloves man, get with it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

JayMax posted:

Guys, what's a chill game to play while being distracted by something else and/or needing to alt-tab constantly? Ideally something that doesn't require sound so I can just listen to my own music?

Hero of the Kingdom is perfect for that. It's not on sale at the moment, but the sequel is.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hogama posted:

It was in the Special Missions that had you going back through Ghost Babel doing various tasks, and getting told more about stuff going on by someone called No. 4. At the end of that, you get this bit:

It's obvious who he's talking to, but the Galuade Incident didn't actually happen in MGS2's timeline though Campbell directly references it when going crazy, and Outer Heaven did feature in Ghost Babel so it's a little contradictory that Raiden wouldn't recognize the name, but those are really the only sticking points and it's not that hard to handwave it.

Then again, the Five-seveN was in MGS4.

That would have been why I thought that then.

Holy poo poo that was 15 years ago.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

my realism

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Titty implants were the stuff of nightmares back then.

Orv
May 4, 2011
1984, the White Titty Rebellion.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Max Wilco posted:

So there's a free weekend for Killing Floor 2. I never played the original game, and I don't know that much about it. Is it similar to Left 4 Dead?

On top of that, is KF2 worth trying? I noticed that KF2 is in Early Access. How does it compare to the first game?

It's pretty much worth trying, yeah. L4D and Payday are kinda close to it, in the sense that you fight waves of enemies as a team. That said, there are no objectives but 1) survive 2) kill all the enemies. That's how it worked in KF1, but at the end of its life they added some objective modes so I'm 99% sure they will eventually add other game modes.

It's basically KF1 with a face lift, new engine and the base gameplay is really fun. The maps are great, there's a pretty decent variety of content right now. There are six classes, and four more are on the way - three of which are brand new. They also did a really cool thing where they recorded weapons at a really high speed so in Zed time (bullet time) you can see a lot of really cool details on them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

can you still toss dosh all over the place?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

QuarkJets posted:

Not only that, you can throw it up on the tops of roofs or even down holes in the ground so people can't get it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, in fact they extended the time between the boss being dead and the results screen just so people could drop dosh on its body.

woytaz
Jun 13, 2010

JayMax posted:

Turn-based stuff like Civilization, Endless Space/Legend, Guild of Dungeoneering, Ironcast. Big Pharma is pretty good for it too (slow-paced, pause or leave it running in the background). Darkest Dungeon (Early Access; perhaps not "chill" but there are no problems with alt-tabbing whenever you need), Cities Skylines, Mini Metro (Early Access), Majesty (1 is better but 2 is also okay), Race the Sun, Terraria (since it can be paused in singleplayer), Factorio (in alpha; not on Steam yet but really good).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

The dosh also has some degree of physics now so you can make a pile of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JayMax posted:

I've been using Tropico 4 for this recently but pretty much any turn-based game or city/civilization builder would work

woytaz
Jun 13, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I've been using Tropico 4 for this recently but pretty much any turn-based game or city/civilization builder would work

Speaking of city builders: Anno 1404 (aka Dawn of Discovery) or other games in the series would be pretty good for this too. Especially since you can disable enemies and just build up in peace.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
So Mad Max...

This game has one of the worst voiced/acted protagonists I have seen in quite some time. Max seems less mad about the world, and more bored with everything.

I'm guessing that a lot of my disappointment for this game is due to my hopping back and forth between it and Phantom Pain, but MM is seriously unimpressive so far.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Underwhelmed posted:

So Mad Max...

This game has one of the worst voiced/acted protagonists I have seen in quite some time. Max seems less mad about the world, and more bored with everything.

I'm guessing that a lot of my disappointment for this game is due to my hopping back and forth between it and Phantom Pain, but MM is seriously unimpressive so far.

Just post the name of the videogame and your username next time lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wouldn't say he's one of the worst but I will agree it's not great. His yelling voice is strange. Max doesn't talk that much though outside of direct conversation with other people- they were true to the movies in that way -so I'm not all that bothered by it.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Turns out anime isn't the worst style of Visual Novels after all!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh hey it's the XBLA again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

woytaz posted:

Speaking of city builders: Anno 1404 (aka Dawn of Discovery) or other games in the series would be pretty good for this too. Especially since you can disable enemies and just build up in peace.
This is one of the most relaxing games ever.

Another pretty good game for when you're doing something else is Poker Night.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 5, 2015

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I've always enjoyed Reus for chilling out. Each individual game takes a while, it has progressive unlocks expanding the systems in play between games, and it's a chill as gently caress God(s) game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SadisTech posted:

Unfortunately everything about how the game was sold and marketed totally destroyed it as viable well inside 2 months from release and boy, did I eat poo poo on that one.

Can someone do like a big explanation of this one? I get some sort of perverse joy out of reading detailed breakdowns of totally hosed up game development / marketing cycles like Daikatana or DNF.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Baller Time posted:

Turns out anime isn't the worst style of Visual Novels after all!

I like that the girl is just giving one of the natives a scalp massage while the fight is going on.

e: HAHAHAHAHA

quote:

From now on offensive content will be immediately removed
SEPTEMBER 5 - ANTOKOLOS
Hello everybody!
Personally, I prefer not to delete any comments, even negative ones.
But this community hub is not only related to our company, but also for people who like our game.
Therefore, if you want to post something, please, at least don't be rude and offensive and, most important, BE CONSTRUCTIVE!
Threads with offensive content will be removed.
Thank you all and happy gaming!

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 5, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xander77 posted:

Can someone do like a big explanation of this one? I get some sort of perverse joy out of reading detailed breakdowns of totally hosed up game development / marketing cycles like Daikatana or DNF.

It is actually fairly simple. The original plan was to do a free to play microtransaction-based game, where you'd have a baseline for free and then would buy new characters or levels if you wanted. But the publisher decided that it would be better business to release the game as a full price commercial release, and did not allow them to put the excised content into the game to compensate for this. Meaning people were paying sixty dollars for what was basically a demo. It would have been much more acceptable by modern terms if the initial investment was 0 or at least very low, since f2p games are a known quantity and generally quite successful financially.

And some of the dlc which was going to sustain the game was made exclusive to various retailers as preorder bonuses, too, so even if you wanted to play the game it'd be hard to own all the content.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Like, imagine if one of those cash shop
Korean mmos cost sixty dollars, except even then you wouldn't be completely locked out of content if you were willing to grind for it. So imagine the demo of a Korean mmo costing sixty dollars.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Also wasn't there like 5 different editions day one or is that what you mean about the retail preorder DLC? Unless you paid some absurd price you'd feel like you weren't getting a full game for full price.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The Colonel posted:

You don't, Campbell drops some hints if you talk to him on the codec and eventually just straight-up says "Snake, I've got it! Use the second controller port!" They really couldn't have telegraphed it any harder.

im pretty sure its also possible to beat him without doing the port swap by just spraying bullets everywhere with the smg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Galaga Galaxian posted:

According to my steam friends screenshot feed, MGSV has this:

It has animes and therefore Is Good.

However, that is clearly a 2010s anime art style, while MGSV, afaik, takes place in the 80s (a time of far superior anime art, IMO) therefore, my verisimilitude is shattered. :goonsay:

You can also acquire a cassette tape of the 1999 remaster of Rebel Yell in 1984. I am sure someone has already constructed a fan theory incorporating all of this.

Also, I love that you have to capture a Russian speaker to serve as a simultaneous interpreter in order to get subtitles for Russian dialogue, that is a neat detail.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Underwhelmed posted:

So Mad Max...

Max is voiced by Mel Gibson's brother if I remember correctly.

• Locked thread