Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
My girlfriend's manager must have sucker written on his forehead:

A couple of months ago he came back after lunch with a bunch of new suits. He said that on his way back from lunch he ran into a nice gentleman who had to leave town but couldn't take his expensive suits with him so he sold them off at a bargain price (I believe it was $500 or $600?)... they were of course cheap knockoff leather items. After-lunch googling revealed the sad truth: http://scam-detector.com/face-to-face-scams/italian-fashion-man

He then admitted that several years back him & his ex-wife had invested 10k into a vending machine scam (http://wellness.hubpages.com/hub/Vending-Machine-Scams).

Today at lunch he gave my girlfriend a package on behalf of his current girlfriend - and it was a a package with skin care sample products and an invitation to a hosted party for Arbonne (a MLM where you try to recruit more people - http://arbonne.pissedconsumer.com/how-a-car-presentation-opened-my-eyes-to-the-scam-20130716429916.html)

I am certain he makes over 100k a year as well, how can people be such dummies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

One time my dad was the only one at the house and the doorbell rang and there was a kid (13-14 years old maybe) standing there and my dad asked "How can I help you" and the kid said that he was selling office supplies for a school fund raiser and my dad likes to help out with these kind of things so he said "Sure, I'll buy something, what do you have" and the kid open his backpack and there was like a couple rolls of tape in there and a stapler and a hole puncher and my dad said "I'll take the hole puncher" and it was like $12 and the kid only took cash and he didn't have a form to fill out or anything so my dad just gave the kid $12 and thanked him for the hole puncher and when my mom got home she saw the hole puncher and asked about the hole puncher and my dad told her how he acquired the hole puncher and my mom said "Michael I love you but you're an idiot sometimes." Well that's my story about how some people get scammed, thanks for reading.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Nobody ever went broke taking profits. You did what you had to in order to survive, and came out ahead of what you invested. I'd call that a win.

Just contrasting my experiences with someone who, as of last check, has lost $20 in real money (and maybe $500 in paper profits). If you're buying individual shares you will almost never have a perfect trade that gets you out at the peak. We sold some of my wife's stock options this year and the price immediately dropped 10%. I was all like, whoo-hoo-stock-market-wizard. The price then jumped 30% over the last six months. Now it's down below where it was when we sold.

You're right in there's no correct profit. It's all profit. Unless it isn't. Then it's a tax deduction.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pieces posted:

I am certain he makes over 100k a year as well, how can people be such dummies?
It isn't just dumb people who get caught up in obvious scams- greedy people are also susceptible. Several years back a number of lawyers lost a lot of money in a penny stock scam. They basically received a call from someone they never knew who worked for an organization they never heard of, and bought a bunch of stocks that were essentially worthless (the scammer immediately sold them off when the lawyers pumped up the price).

Krispy Kareem posted:

Just contrasting my experiences with someone who, as of last check, has lost $20 in real money (and maybe $500 in paper profits). If you're buying individual shares you will almost never have a perfect trade that gets you out at the peak. We sold some of my wife's stock options this year and the price immediately dropped 10%. I was all like, whoo-hoo-stock-market-wizard. The price then jumped 30% over the last six months. Now it's down below where it was when we sold.

You're right in there's no correct profit. It's all profit. Unless it isn't. Then it's a tax deduction.
I agree 100%. I bought a bunch of Shake Shack stock at $45, and sold off at $60. Then the stock went up to $92, and I was kicking myself. But then it came down to $45 not long afterwards. And that was one of my "better" investments.

Anyone who tells you to "time" the market has never managed their own investments before. Because unless you've got a crystal ball you sure as heck can't "time" something that you're unable to predict. And whenever that chump at the office brags about how much money he made on his last trade, remember one thing- a gambler will only tell you what he's won, never what he has lost.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 4, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

melon cat posted:

And whenever that chump at the office brags about how much money he made on his last trade, remember one thing- a gambler will only tell you what he's won, never what he has lost.

Hey, I worked with "that guy" too. The guy was a late-50's retail clerk, working full time lousy retail hours surrounded by college students.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would work that kind of job unless they actually needed the money.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

canyoneer posted:

Hey, I worked with "that guy" too. The guy was a late-50's retail clerk, working full time lousy retail hours surrounded by college students.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would work that kind of job unless they actually needed the money.

Our "That Guy" was in his late 30s with a double History and Poli Sci degree, and loved talking about his boutique bank. He was trained alongside 19 year old me to move the Costco shopping carts, and evaded every safety feature on the cardboard baler to almost lose a finger. He got canned for yelling at a customer.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

melon cat posted:

It isn't just dumb people who get caught up in obvious scams- greedy people are also susceptible. Several years back a number of lawyers lost a lot of money in a penny stock scam. They basically received a call from someone they never knew who worked for an organization they never heard of, and bought a bunch of stocks that were essentially worthless (the scammer immediately sold them off when the lawyers pumped up the price).

I agree 100%. I bought a bunch of Shake Shack stock at $45, and sold off at $60. Then the stock went up to $92, and I was kicking myself. But then it came down to $45 not long afterwards. And that was one of my "better" investments.

Anyone who tells you to "time" the market has never managed their own investments before. Because unless you've got a crystal ball you sure as heck can't "time" something that you're unable to predict. And whenever that chump at the office brags about how much money he made on his last trade, remember one thing- a gambler will only tell you what he's won, never what he has lost.

People love looking back and saying "I should have bought at [exact bottom price], it went up to [exact top price]"... I thought that catching 60% of the movement (in either direction depending on if you're long or short) was supposed to be a 'good' metric.

Same thing happens with (bad / fishy) poker players as well - they love to tell bad beat stories or about their winning sessions but not the big picture.

Leaving emotions out of investing is just the hardest thing for people to do.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yep, the bad poker players I know talk about that big win they had. The good ones talk about how they bumped their hourly earnings up in the last month after taxes and gas expenses.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

pig slut lisa posted:

One time my dad was the only one at the house and the doorbell rang and there was a kid (13-14 years old maybe) standing there and my dad asked "How can I help you" and the kid said that he was selling office supplies for a school fund raiser and my dad likes to help out with these kind of things so he said "Sure, I'll buy something, what do you have" and the kid open his backpack and there was like a couple rolls of tape in there and a stapler and a hole puncher and my dad said "I'll take the hole puncher" and it was like $12 and the kid only took cash and he didn't have a form to fill out or anything so my dad just gave the kid $12 and thanked him for the hole puncher and when my mom got home she saw the hole puncher and asked about the hole puncher and my dad told her how he acquired the hole puncher and my mom said "Michael I love you but you're an idiot sometimes." Well that's my story about how some people get scammed, thanks for reading.

Ages ago, my grandma had an even more audacious kid try to scam her. She was way upstairs ironing while watching I Love Lucy, and caught a glimpse of one of the neighborhood kids climbing her apple trees and picking apples. She was like, "wtf is Johnny doing sneaking around and picking my apples??" She didn't want to miss the show, so she didn't confront him (I think her plan was to call his mother later). Then not long after, the doorbell rings. It's Johnny, and he's selling apples for a school fundraiser. My grandma smiles and nods as she listens to his spiel, then rips the bags of apples out of his hands, says "Thanks for picking my apples for me, Johnny!" and then slams the door in his face.

Bad with scamming: Trying to sell people their own stuff that you stole from their yard.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of scams anyone else getting an uptick in police benevolence telemarketing calls? I've seen an overall decrease in telemarketers because we switched to Ooma and use their community block lists - but all of these calls come from local numbers.

"Sorry, I don't donate over the phone."
"I can send you a packet"
<just hangs up anyway>

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, donating money earns you massive phone/postal/email solicitation volume. Even asking for charitable organization registration number doesn't filter enough of them out.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, donating money earns you massive phone/postal/email solicitation volume. Even asking for charitable organization registration number doesn't filter enough of them out.

Ain't that the truth. I'm a member of the local art museum and I get tons of mail from every other museum around. Drives me nuts.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Uh, that's why you donate anonymously through a third-party who handles the payments.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah I'm not getting some sort of third party involved for my $90/year museum membership. I'm not even sure how I'd receive the benefits if it was anonymous.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Barry posted:

Yeah I'm not getting some sort of third party involved for my $90/year museum membership. I'm not even sure how I'd receive the benefits if it was anonymous.

It's not that hard. You pay via PayPal or equivalent and the only thing the museum knows (and needs to know, to give you the benefits) is your name.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
They don't accept Paypal. I also didn't really expect them to sell my info to everyone else in town.

Barry fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 5, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

enraged_camel posted:

Uh, that's why you donate anonymously through a third-party who handles the payments.

Given the amounts in question, I tend to want a tax receipt.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
After I donated to a friend's leukemia bike race I started getting solicitation envelopes with address labels and a guilt nickel inside. I've made at least 25 cents since that donation, not including all of the money I've saved on return address labels.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Subjunctive posted:

Given the amounts in question, I tend to want a tax receipt.

If you're donating so much that you want a receipt, you can make them sign a paper that says they won't sell your info. Most charities are desperate for donations and they will be happy to comply. I'm speaking from experience here.

This may sound like too much work but it's in your best interest to keep your name off of any "People Who Have Money" list.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

enraged_camel posted:

If you're donating so much that you want a receipt, you can make them sign a paper that says they won't sell your info. Most charities are desperate for donations and they will be happy to comply. I'm speaking from experience here.

This may sound like too much work but it's in your best interest to keep your name off of any "People Who Have Money" list.

Yeah, I guess I'll try to remember to do that.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

oopsie rock posted:

After I donated to a friend's leukemia bike race I started getting solicitation envelopes with address labels and a guilt nickel inside. I've made at least 25 cents since that donation, not including all of the money I've saved on return address labels.

Charities are often bad with money. I've donated to some who then probably spent twice as much as I originally gave in order to try and get me to give them more.

Hey, gently caress you, I saw how you spent the last money I gave you, you're not getting poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

There aren't many charities I can ethically recommend other than Doctors Without Borders.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Any of the top charities from GiveWell are also good.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Watsi is great.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mostly give to local food banks and women's shelters.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I subscribed to the Economist in the late 90s, and in addition to the flood of charity solicitations that instantly flooded in, I got an actual Nigerian Prince scam letter in the mail, on letterhead.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Aliquid posted:

There aren't many charities I can ethically recommend other than Doctors Without Borders.

I gave MSF $20 during the ebola outbreak last year, and they've sent me poo poo every 2 or 3 weeks like clockwork since.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I donated a bit of spare change during the Japanese Tsunami and haven't heard a peep since apart from a letter about a week afterwards thanking me for donating. Don't know what the difference is there; I was thinking maybe I'm too poor to solicit but there's clearly no such thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

uninverted posted:

Any of the top charities from GiveWell are also good.

Yeah this is the real answer - really them or any other (good) charity evaluator's results are way way better than picking one that sounds nice or has a good sales pitch.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Phone posted:

I gave MSF $20 during the ebola outbreak last year, and they've sent me poo poo every 2 or 3 weeks like clockwork since.

I try to donate only biggish sums very occasionally because little amounts get pissed away on envelopes.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

After college I did a dual degree program, earning my JD and a Master of Urban Planning degree. When I was part way through I met Mary, who was beginning the same program. Mary eventually dropped out of one program, then the other (I think she was a semester away from getting the law degree). This was a few years ago now. Every so often she'll post something on facebook about how she's making another grand change in her life. What is it this time, Mary?

Mary's GoFundMe page posted:

As the saying goes, life happens while you’re busy making other plans. I’ve always been one for planning, but after all my years of dreaming and scheming, at the age of 31 I have nothing to show for any of it but doubt, debt, and disappointment.

Maybe it’s a fear of commitment, a fear of failure, or a fear of losing my safety net. Whatever it is, there’s a reason most of my plans have never succeeded: I’ve always been too scared to act. Instead, I have kept letting things happen and kept taking the path of least resistance.

In the weeks leading up to my move to Oregon, I repeatedly caught myself talking about the change, both to myself and others, as though I needed to convince someone that it was the right choice. It’s not easy to make such a big change, to leave a potentially great career, a stable job, a comfortable home. It needed to be done, because I was not happy and would have remained unhappy had I stayed, but that made it no less terrifying.

A few years ago I was sitting in the office of a small-town, Illinois, municipal and real estate law firm. I had just been offered a summer assistantship which would likely lead to a job after I graduated with my JD. I was looking out the window, admiring the tiny but scenic town, and thinking of my boyfriend, of what could be our future. And my palms were clammy. Not because I was nervous, but because I was terrified. This was not the life I wanted. I did not want to live in small-town Illinois, working in an office pushing papers for the rest of my life. I did not want to marry my boyfriend, and I certainly did not want to be the step-mother to his two young children whom I had yet to meet.

I left law school shortly after receiving–and eventually declining–the offer. I did not want to be a lawyer. I wanted to do something else; I didn’t know quite what that something was, but I knew I would figure it out eventually. I moved back home with my dad for about a month before taking a job with an old friend in California. Not a career, just something to do while I figured out my life. That fall I attended a local video game convention and met my latest boyfriend, who eventually helped me get a job in QA for a major game company. I’ve spent the last year playing video games, thinking that it could be a fun career, but all the while sinking deeper and deeper into despair, knowing my life was not going the way I’d hoped, and that I still hadn’t figured it out.

Finally, a few months ago, I stumbled across what could be my saving grace: Germany. School in Germany, to be precise. In case you aren’t aware, the public universities in Germany are tuition-free for everyone, including foreigners. For years I’ve dreamed of being an astrophysicist, but knew that doing so was virtually impossible with the cost of education in the US being what it is. I already have a Bachelor of Arts (a pretty useless one, at that, unless you’re planning to be a lawyer) and piles of debt, so going back to school for a proper education in Physics seemed out of the question, and I had resigned myself to the fact that I had to do something else. Well, now I don’t. I can start over, go back to school, and do what I really want to do.

After a whole lot of soul searching, I decided to act on it. I quit my video game job. I moved in with my mom in Oregon and found something here that will allow me to save enough to get to Germany in about a year.

I’m back to my planning and dreaming, and this time, I’m ready to act, even if it is scary sometimes.

------

So why the GoFundMe page?

As I mentioned above, I should be able to save enough to get to Germany in a year. But the key word there is should. If anything goes wrong, if the exchange rate changes drastically, if something ends up costing more than expected, I don't have any wiggle room. I'd also really like to travel a bit before settling in for school. So I hope to save or raise enough above my minimum as possible. While I should be fine on my own, any extra help you can offer will go a long way to helping me realize my dreams!

Thank you!

She's asking for $10,000 :suicide:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

pig slut lisa posted:

After college I did a dual degree program, earning my JD and a Master of Urban Planning degree. When I was part way through I met Mary, who was beginning the same program. Mary eventually dropped out of one program, then the other (I think she was a semester away from getting the law degree). This was a few years ago now. Every so often she'll post something on facebook about how she's making another grand change in her life. What is it this time, Mary?

She's asking for $10,000 :suicide:
You forgot to link the gofundme page where we could donate said thousands of dollars.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The German university system might be free, buy it's not well set up to serve the needs of a lazy American who just 'kept letting things happen and kept taking the path of least resistance.'

My guess is she hasn't even glanced at what it takes to get into a physics program there. Research and knowledge = resistance.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Argh, someone I volunteer with who spent tons of money on a Maleficent dragon statue and something else more recently (I can't remember what, but gave no response when I asked "Oh, how is the repayment on the loans for your new Masters degree going?")... and now she's posted something on her Facebook about having joined Jamberry. One of those cosmetics MLM-like bullshit things where she gushes about the designs on her fingernails. And she's going to hold a Tupperware party-style thing at her place so people can buy in from her. Well thank god I'm a guy and won't be getting any direct harassment, or from my high school friend doing Mary Kay. I haven't seen any posts from her about MK in a while; maybe she finally figured out it wouldn't net her any money.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The worst part about becoming a single mom is having to sell jamberry.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Woo hoo!!

MLMs are Bad With Money.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The worst part about
Becoming a single mom:
Selling jamberry

:eng101:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The UK is pretty sweet when it comes to housing affordability. Although if you're in a low paid job you only have to save for 100-234 years before you can buy your first house (maybe renting is a better plan).

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/06/if-you-have-one-of-these-10-jobs-it-will-take-more-than-100-years-to-save-to-buy-a-house-5377705/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

``...an explosion in the engine room ... would have destroyed a lesser ship''

Devian666 posted:

The UK is pretty sweet when it comes to housing affordability. Although if you're in a low paid job you only have to save for 100-234 years before you can buy your first house (maybe renting is a better plan).

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/06/if-you-have-one-of-these-10-jobs-it-will-take-more-than-100-years-to-save-to-buy-a-house-5377705/

Not sure about some of those figures, but generally the picture is accurate. :eng99:

I think this one is pretty enlightening - interactive, using your income see which areas require more (or less) deposit.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/ng-interactive/2015/sep/02/unaffordable-country-where-can-you-afford-to-buy-a-house

Then again, the UK (Like Canada, NZ and Aus IIRC) is possibly in a house pricing bubble so this could all be 'corrected'...

• Locked thread