Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

starry skies above posted:

I'm really digging the screen of the 2014 Moto X compared to my Nexus 5. Are amoled screens better than IPS?

They tend to have the colors "pop" more because of the way they emit light from the individual pixels rather than a backlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
$350 Nexus 6 is tempting as my htc one m7 is stuck on 5.0 and is starting to stutter every so often.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
I know very little about Android, but I'm trying to help my girlfriend with her 16GB Galaxy S4 running 5.0.1. She was running low on space so she got an SD card and moved applications, photos, music, etc. to it, but she's still getting "insufficient storage" messages when trying to install anything even very small apps. Available space was listed as 342MB and it wouldn't install a <1MB app (Disk Usage). So we deleted a small game (about 50MB) and restarted and then available space was listed as 311MB. :what:

The Storage screen in settings seems to be wrong too. Used Space is listed as 9.66GB, but tapping that shows
Applications 4.40GB
Pictures, videos 52.27MB
Downloads 32.87MB

Maybe there's something else that counts towards the 9.66GB that isn't shown in the breakdown?

Anyway, we've searched and tried all the recommendations - clearing app caches, uninstalling apps, deleting dumpstate/logcat files (and restarting after each) - and nothing's helping. In case it matters, the phone has been trying and failing to download a system update due to insufficient space as well.

Is there another way to fix this or is she stuck doing a restore? Thanks for any help.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
The network on my vzw Nexus 6 started going shithouse about a week ago. No LTE or no network at all. Happens at work and at home so I know it isn't a tower thing. I've seen that this is a thing but haven't found any solutions. Any help would be much appreciated.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Soup in a Bag posted:

I know very little about Android, but I'm trying to help my girlfriend with her 16GB Galaxy S4 running 5.0.1. She was running low on space so she got an SD card and moved applications, photos, music, etc. to it, but she's still getting "insufficient storage" messages when trying to install anything even very small apps. Available space was listed as 342MB and it wouldn't install a <1MB app (Disk Usage). So we deleted a small game (about 50MB) and restarted and then available space was listed as 311MB. :what:

The Storage screen in settings seems to be wrong too. Used Space is listed as 9.66GB, but tapping that shows
Applications 4.40GB
Pictures, videos 52.27MB
Downloads 32.87MB

Maybe there's something else that counts towards the 9.66GB that isn't shown in the breakdown?

Anyway, we've searched and tried all the recommendations - clearing app caches, uninstalling apps, deleting dumpstate/logcat files (and restarting after each) - and nothing's helping. In case it matters, the phone has been trying and failing to download a system update due to insufficient space as well.

Is there another way to fix this or is she stuck doing a restore? Thanks for any help.

SD Maid is a really useful app that will give you a great breakdown of used space and will help you reclaim that space. I use it all the time, frankly. Enough that I paid for it, which is not a common thing - I think apps ever, all told.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
That deal of the Nexus 6 for $400 seems really tempting. Wouldn't buy it for the original price, but that seems more than fair. How's the camera on the Nexus 6, especially in low lighting? Is the new Nexus 5 likely/confirmed to have a better camera, and I should wait for that and spend the same money?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

The network on my vzw Nexus 6 started going shithouse about a week ago. No LTE or no network at all. Happens at work and at home so I know it isn't a tower thing. I've seen that this is a thing but haven't found any solutions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Get ahold of Motorola support, my friend had this issue and they got it straightened out.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Some rep from Motorola on their forums said Moto X will be getting Band 12/T-Mobile VoLTE in a future software update. Motorola hasn't exactly had a good reputation for quick software updates lately but maybe they'll get it out soon since it's a Motorola/T-Mobile specific thing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

That deal of the Nexus 6 for $400 seems really tempting. Wouldn't buy it for the original price, but that seems more than fair. How's the camera on the Nexus 6, especially in low lighting? Is the new Nexus 5 likely/confirmed to have a better camera, and I should wait for that and spend the same money?

Right now we don't have enough details about the 2015 N5/N6 to give you the answers you want. One big thing we don't know is price because while everyone seems to want to believe that Google will go back to heavily subsidizing the devices they haven't said they will. I want to believe it too, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the numbers in "Nexus 5" and "Nexus 6" are the numbers of hundreds of US dollars you have to spend to get the base model.

Obviously we're all hoping for a pricepoint similar to the first Nexus 5 but we don't know if that's going to be the case.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

SD Maid is a really useful app that will give you a great breakdown of used space and will help you reclaim that space. I use it all the time, frankly. Enough that I paid for it, which is not a common thing - I think apps ever, all told.

That sounds good, but we can't get anything to install. Last time we deleted a 50MB app to install a <1MB app even though the phone was reporting >300MB available and it still wouldn't work so it seems like something else is going on. Apparently she's also getting an out of space error when trying to download new email, but settings still says there are >300MB available.

I'm used to iPhone where at this point I'd just restore it as a new phone. Is that the way to go with Android at this point too? I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else we should try first.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

PurpleJesus posted:

My status actually went backwards from Order Complete to Device Built. I'm hoping it's actually just Moto being really conservative on when it'll arrive. My N5's battery might not make it to the 17th.

I've been watching the subreddit for this thing and apparently the Order Complete thing was a mistake that happened to a bunch of people. Hopefully that means that the current Building statuses are correct then.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Obviously we're all hoping for a pricepoint similar to the first Nexus 5 but we don't know if that's going to be the case.
There was this story a couple of days ago:
http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-nexus-5x-release-price-leak-639306/

While I certainly don't treat Android Authority as an authoritative source on anything, it also isn't absolutely bottom-of-the-barrel. So maybe. But the idea that Google haven't named the product three weeks before it launches is laughable, so this could be complete nonsense.

Can someone confirm what the US pricing for the N4/5/6 was? I'm trying to figure out what this would make it in GBP.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 5, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

There was this story a couple of days ago:
http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-nexus-5x-release-price-leak-639306/

While I certainly don't treat Android Authority as an authoritative source on anything, it also isn't absolutely bottom-of-the-barrel. So maybe. But the idea that Google haven't named the product three weeks before it launches is laughable, so this could be complete nonsense.

Can someone confirm what the US pricing for the N4/5/6 was? I'm trying to figure out what this would make it in GBP.

I'm almost positive the 4 was $300/$350 for 8 GB/16 GB, as mentioned the 5 was $350/$400 for 16 GB/32 GB, and the 6 was $700/$750 for 32 GB/64 GB.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'm almost positive the 4 was $300/$350 for 8 GB/16 GB, as mentioned the 5 was $350/$400 for 16 GB/32 GB, and the 6 was $700/$750 for 32 GB/64 GB.
Yeah, that's what I thought roughly, so this would make it £350/£400ish. Makes the N6 at it's reduced £370/£420 pricing look pretty good (except that I don't want a basketball phone). If that's the pricing I may actually just get the 16GB, I really don't need the space.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Soup in a Bag posted:

That sounds good, but we can't get anything to install. Last time we deleted a 50MB app to install a <1MB app even though the phone was reporting >300MB available and it still wouldn't work so it seems like something else is going on. Apparently she's also getting an out of space error when trying to download new email, but settings still says there are >300MB available.

I'm used to iPhone where at this point I'd just restore it as a new phone. Is that the way to go with Android at this point too? I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else we should try first.

Yes, you can reset an Android device.
Settings > Accounts > Back Up and Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Device > Delete All

If you'd like to try one last thing before resorting to that, you might try wiping the cache partition:
http://getandroidstuff.com/how-to-factory-reset-samsung-galaxy-s-4/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought roughly, so this would make it £350/£400ish. Makes the N6 at it's reduced £370/£420 pricing look pretty good (except that I don't want a basketball phone). If that's the pricing I may actually just get the 16GB, I really don't need the space.

While I'm no SD card-using anime hoarder, 16 GB is a tight squeeze. I have 10 GB free on my 32 GB Nexus 5 and that's with a few albums pinned and only one or two small games. The OS seems to take about 6 GB on its own (my device reports 26 GB as available) with apps taking another 7 GB. Caches and "Miscellaneous" consume 1.5 GB each. That right there exceeds 16 GB.

I'd never deal with an SD card again but I have to admit that under no circumstances should 16 GB be the base storage for a phone made today.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
The OS doesn't take 6GB. You're missing the space lost to the GB/GiB discrepancy. 32GB advertised is only 29.8GB of actual space in GiB. Yeah 16GB is not like huge, but it's not super awful. You're probably not going to want to put any of the GTA games on your device, but it's fine.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

I've never struggled with 16, but then I have no games on here. A lot of the popular ones are huge

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Come get your Z3c fix here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740292

It's a former hotsauce special, but sent it in for a warranty issue which they sent back a brand new one.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

starry skies above posted:

I'm really digging the screen of the 2014 Moto X compared to my Nexus 5. Are amoled screens better than IPS?

The biggest benefit of the AMOLED screens is the contrast ratio. Well, it isn't a ratio because you can't divide by zero. Since the screen can light up individual subpixels and turn them off completely, your contrast ratio is effectively infinite. Plus there is a non-zero power benefit to using dark themes, where LCD panels use the same amount of power displaying full white and full black.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Google's staggered app updates is very noticeable during this rebrand. Less than half my Google apps reflect the new logo. I get that they roll out updates gradually so really bad bugs can be noticed and fixed before becoming widespread, but you'd think they'd just do an all at once, coordinated update where only the art assets change.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Come get your Z3c fix here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740292

It's a former hotsauce special, but sent it in for a warranty issue which they sent back a brand new one.

I should buy it back from you :newlol:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

While I'm no SD card-using anime hoarder, 16 GB is a tight squeeze. I have 10 GB free on my 32 GB Nexus 5 and that's with a few albums pinned and only one or two small games. The OS seems to take about 6 GB on its own (my device reports 26 GB as available) with apps taking another 7 GB. Caches and "Miscellaneous" consume 1.5 GB each. That right there exceeds 16 GB.

I'd never deal with an SD card again but I have to admit that under no circumstances should 16 GB be the base storage for a phone made today.
I do agree that NAND is cheap and this shouldn't really be a thing that we have to think about but my 32GB N5 currently has 19.5GB free. I don't use it to watch local media, all my music streams from Play (and I rarely actually do this on my phone anyway), and I don't play huge GTA-esque games. I have 4.5GB of apps (1GB of which is just Play Music and Newsstand data!), 0.5GB of photos (all remotely saved anyway) and 1GB of cache, that's it. So I can trivially work on a 16GB.

Having said that, when it comes down to it, I'll probably just cave and get the 32GB, because I went through this exact thought process last time and here I am with a 32GB.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's only 3.5GB spare though - more like 2.5 since android starts to complain about performance degradation when you have less than a gig free. Then you're getting into janitoring territory where you're worrying about what you can install, whether you have space to record video if you want to, all that kind of junk

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wrong thread

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Anyone know how difficult/expensive it is to repair the headphone jack on a Moto G? It's gotten to the point where the flex of my hip while walking is enough pressure to cause the audio to cut out if I have the phone in my pocket.

e: turns out the phone's still under warranty, so now I just have to find something old to use in the mean time

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 5, 2015

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've broken 2 nexus 6 screens in two weeks. With the squaretrade deductibles alone I could purchase a new moto g. This thing is too big to have nice tapered moto glass edges honestly, every single small fall cracks it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Fruit Chewy posted:

I've broken 2 nexus 6 screens in two weeks. With the squaretrade deductibles alone I could purchase a new moto g. This thing is too big to have nice tapered moto glass edges honestly, every single small fall cracks it.

I recommend a case...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'd suggest not dropping your phone.

Grip tape would help with this issue.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Get a retractable cord that zips the phone back to your jorts waist

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Carry your n6 in a stylish fanny pack

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
All of the sudden I can't hear anything when I am calling someone. The big speaker on the back of the phone works ok, and I can use speaker phone. Its just the little speaker at the top of the face isn't working anymore. It is a Galaxy S3 that I've had for about 3 years, so I wouldn't shed a tear if it was broken, but I'd like to be sure before I buy a new one. Is there any setting that I might have accidentally changed that could be causing this? Are there any apps that can test functions like this? Any other suggestions?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

deoju posted:

All of the sudden I can't hear anything when I am calling someone. The big speaker on the back of the phone works ok, and I can use speaker phone. Its just the little speaker at the top of the face isn't working anymore. It is a Galaxy S3 that I've had for about 3 years, so I wouldn't shed a tear if it was broken, but I'd like to be sure before I buy a new one. Is there any setting that I might have accidentally changed that could be causing this? Are there any apps that can test functions like this? Any other suggestions?

Check the headphone jack. The phone may think a headset is connected because of some debris down there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, that was it. Thanks!

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So recently switched to android from iOS but the main thing that is bugging me right now is the emoji. They look weird as gently caress.
What can one do?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Well a good start would be to stop using emojis.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Airborne Viking posted:

Well a good start would be to stop using emojis.
non-flippant answer: any asthetic changes would only appear on your device, so why not just get used to it?

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 6, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Simple Simon posted:

So recently switched to android from iOS but the main thing that is bugging me right now is the emoji. They look weird as gently caress.
What can one do?

Get a sms app with a different emoji set. I know textra has ios emojis

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

CLAM DOWN posted:

I recommend a case...

I've had it in a spigen slim armor case both times which is obviously doing a lot of good. Both have been <2ft falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I bought that spigen case then immediately bought a diztronic since it was clear the former wouldn't protect anything.