Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

No. 6 posted:

As a rider I have to confess that is also dislike squids and Harley's without mufflers. But to go out of your way to make a shrine to your loathing is just going beyond.

I just don't like disruptive (read: loud) people. Squids, not so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

No. 6 posted:

to go out of your way to make a shrine to your loathing is just going beyond.

That's not what this thread is?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

I was talking about the reddit thing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

isn't it, though? :sigh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

No. 6 posted:

As a rider I have to confess that is also dislike squids and Harley's without mufflers. But to go out of your way to make a shrine to your loathing is just what reddit is for.

Among other things, of course :reddit:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

No, this is a shrine to everyone's loathing. There's a difference.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

I think it is a place for rider's to commiserate with other people who will understand their problems. When we vent it helps blow off the steam associated with people trying to kill you on the road every day. It's a healthy outlet for pent up frustration.

Now you may be thinking, "well the guys in motorcycle hate are just venting as well", and I'll tell you why you're wrong: because I disagree with them, that's why.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I nearly hit a Cyclist today. I'm a tourist in a rental car looking for street signs, turned right a bit abruptly while he was coming up the inside of me. I feel bad that I didn't see him, I really should have been looking, but I wasn't. Of course he took the opportunity to have a go at me through my window (perfectly justified, though totally weaksauce with the insults), clearly itching for a fight. I just told him to be careful going up the inside of turning cars and to ride safe.
Oh yeah, mid 20s, no helmet, fixie, downtown Vancouver. Yes, I almost killed you guy, and I'm sorry. But keep that attitude up and you won't need me to do it, it'll happen all on its own.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'd have assumed you were in Seattle based on your story.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Let's face it - Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, etc. I don't want cyclists to die, but holy poo poo they make some really stupid life choices when they ride in town.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Lynza posted:

Let's face it - Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, etc. I don't want cyclists to die, but holy poo poo they make some really stupid life choices when they ride in town.

I'm really pro cyclist and I do get irritated when I see drivers moaning about their existence, but there's a real crop of them that make it hard work. I'll confess that when I'm in the city as a pedestrian I get really hosed off with the red light jumpers and I've given a few a good shove - pricks.

That and the ones with no lights at night, but around here they're more likely to be drivers who got banned rather than anything resembling a cyclist.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Maybe you americans need some proper bike infrastructure. :smug:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KARMA! posted:

I would give my left nut to have half of my hometown of Pittsburgh look like Amsterdam when it comes to bike paths. Amsterdam is the literal perfect example of a city made right.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

KARMA! posted:

The Bay has pretty good bike infrastructure cropping up in the cities. Cyclists still find a way to be obnoxious about it, like riding two abreast in the bike lane, which means one rider is no longer in the bike lane, but is in fact riding in the middle of the street.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ripoff posted:

I would give my left nut to have half of my hometown of Pittsburgh look like Amsterdam when it comes to bike paths. Amsterdam is the literal perfect example of a city made right.

Well apart from the drains

And anything at all below street level really

While we're at it the fuckers have absolutely no idea how to make tea. Even Parisians can manage it if you stand on their throat, but Amsterdam is like 50% english people on a summer's day, there's no reason whatsoever for their look of dull surprise when you explain to them a glass of lukewarm water is *not* how you start making a cup of tea.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just saw some dude do a maneuver I can only think of as attempted suicide. There were 2 taxis in the left lane, spaced under a car's length apart. Dude on bike tries to pass them on the right, but there's a car parked in the right lane. So he swerves in between the two taxis. Cue the taxi in the back slamming on his brakes. Like holy poo poo, dude. It's a city street, 40km/h speed posted, and taxis here are generally driven badly as it is.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
As if summoned by the Gods of CA, I went for a ride today and filtered to the front of some traffic lights. On coming cyclist sailed right through the red (Bear in mind I'd have time to filter here!) - I gave her a head-shake and got a sarcastic smile in return.

It's becoming a real pet hate of mine - those on two wheels have enough issues with cars at the best of times. I'm sure she'd not accept a car cutting her up when she was on green.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ripoff posted:

Amsterdam is a giant tourist trap for annefrankophiles, boozehounds and the 420 crowd. The city is always under construction, the innercity is too cramped for you to go anywhere not on foot and anything outside of that is either millionaireville or concrete hellscape. No thanks.

It does keep in all the unwashed tourists from invading the rest of the country, so that's a plus.

Chichevache posted:

The Bay has pretty good bike infrastructure cropping up in the cities. Cyclists still find a way to be obnoxious about it, like riding two abreast in the bike lane, which means one rider is no longer in the bike lane, but is in fact riding in the middle of the street.

If your understanding of good bike infrastructure is a painted line here and there, you don't know how good it can be! Bikes having their own lanes, encountering other traffic only at crossroads. Bike paths going to and from any point in the city and beyond. Tons of parking opportunities close to shops and business alike. I know London tries to encourage biking by painting some lines here and there, but without treating cyclists as first-class road users with their own unique needs no city will ever grow beyond the smug road warrior anarchists.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well apart from the drains

And anything at all below street level really

While we're at it the fuckers have absolutely no idea how to make tea. Even Parisians can manage it if you stand on their throat, but Amsterdam is like 50% english people on a summer's day, there's no reason whatsoever for their look of dull surprise when you explain to them a glass of lukewarm water is *not* how you start making a cup of tea.

Amsterdam. :smug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KARMA! posted:

If your understanding of good bike infrastructure is a painted line here and there, you don't know how good it can be! Bikes having their own lanes, encountering other traffic only at crossroads. Bike paths going to and from any point in the city and beyond. Tons of parking opportunities close to shops and business alike. I know London tries to encourage biking by painting some lines here and there, but without treating cyclists as first-class road users with their own unique needs no city will ever grow beyond the smug road warrior anarchists.

:agreed:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Ripoff posted:

I'm so sick of this. Pay gas tax for roads. Motorcyclists pay our gas tax and take up very little effective road space, especially when filtering is done. Bicyclists take up more effective road space (a vehicle's effective road space is equal to the space it 'owns' including front and rear buffer zones as well as its lane multiplied by the time it spends on the road for a given voyage - because bicycles move much slower than cars on the highway, they take up more effective road space if on the road and MUCH more if given a dedicated lane (2 bicycle lanes on a 5-car-lane street (2 oncoming, 2 forward, 1 turn) is an entire extra lane, a 20% increase in effective road usage!)

"A city made right!" No, a city made for you. I have nothing against bicyclists as a general rule but the entitlement coming from advocates is just astounding. You (usually) don't even have liability insurance, much less plates!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Verge posted:

I'm so sick of this. Pay gas tax for roads. Motorcyclists pay our gas tax and take up very little effective road space, especially when filtering is done. Bicyclists take up more effective road space (a vehicle's effective road space is equal to the space it 'owns' including front and rear buffer zones as well as its lane multiplied by the time it spends on the road for a given voyage - because bicycles move much slower than cars on the highway, they take up more effective road space if on the road and MUCH more if given a dedicated lane (2 bicycle lanes on a 5-car-lane street (2 oncoming, 2 forward, 1 turn) is an entire extra lane, a 20% increase in effective road usage!)

"A city made right!" No, a city made for you. I have nothing against bicyclists as a general rule but the entitlement coming from advocates is just astounding. You (usually) don't even have liability insurance, much less plates!

To be fair, a bicyclist running flat out right into a brand new Lambo will cause <$1000 in damage at worst. Liability insurance for a bicycle would be kind of hilarious.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Verge posted:

Pay gas tax for roads.

You know fuel and pollution taxes aren't ringfenced right? That poo poo pays for public libraries as much as anything else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

You know fuel and pollution taxes aren't ringfenced right? That poo poo pays for public libraries as much as anything else.

This is even more ridiculously the case in the US where they make much smaller road (fuel and purchase) tax revenues pay for many more miles of roads.

No idea what the ratio is there but in the UK VED and fuel duties *barely* pay for the national highways agencies, which only maintain the motorway network and a few major trunk routes. 95% of the roads in the UK are paid for by the relevant local authorities (or wider regional agencies) funded out of local taxes and the general central tax pot.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Verge posted:

Hahahahaha whoa, there son. Show me on the doll where the bicycle touched you.

Maybe you should leave the trailer once in a while and go out and see the world, you'll see where things are headed. Electric cars and motorcycle are becoming more viable each and every day, and the world isn't going to keep using gasoline because of taxation reasons. So how do we deal with this? We can tax electricity, we can add an additional sales tax to a bicycle, or hell, we can tax cars based on usage and weight. Gas tax isn't going to magically carry us into the future. I'm sorry your corporate overlords at Exxon-Mobil aren't happy about this, maybe you can go buy a 70's era truck and blow them a bit longer for their benefit.

Also your wingnut tears of "bicyclists don't pay taxes waah waah" :reddit: is hilariously stupid because bicyclists, cars and motorcycles don't do loving poo poo to your precious roads. If you really want to tax things fairly you gotta start hitting up those heavy OTR trucks that have serious axle weight (which itself is full of problems). Your loving gas tax is a hilarious joke as well because it only punishes people who drive bigger, gas-guzzling vehicles. It's regressive as hell because Mr. Six Figures is probably driving a top-tier Lexus/BMW hybrid or Tesla car while the poorer denizens of the inner cities have to drive cheaper trucks and cars, which are usually huge SUVs and cars that get poor mileage. If they drive the same as Mr. Six Figures, they're paying more in taxes per relative income. That said, you're probably okay with this because you come across as one of those "gently caress you; got mine" types that burns tires in your backyard every time someone buys an alternative fuel vehicle because it's not benefiting your lifestyle.

Using the word "entitlement" when trying to encourage people to use a system that benefits everyone financially (especially the poor, who don't have to pay a huge chunk of their income in keeping a car running) as well as decreasing the amount of automotive traffic around rush-hour and ultimately fights against global warming is the dumbest poo poo I've read on these forums in quite a while.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Over here they've decided that registration costs should be proportionate to your vehicle's safety rating (ratings pulled out of the government's rear end, btw) as some sort of darwinian method to 'encourage' people to buy safer cars, which will in turn lower the number of road deaths in conjunction with the police's jackboots approach to speed limit enforcement. Consequently, rich cunts with X5's pay half as much rego as poor cunts with mid-90's corollas.

The system works!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Over here they've decided that registration costs should be proportionate to your vehicle's safety rating (ratings pulled out of the government's rear end, btw) as some sort of darwinian method to 'encourage' people to buy safer cars, which will in turn lower the number of road deaths in conjunction with the police's jackboots approach to speed limit enforcement. Consequently, rich cunts with X5's pay half as much rego as poor cunts with mid-90's corollas.

The system works!

In the UK it's based on CO2 emissions. I don't really give a poo poo about the future of the planet but I fully support anything that causes such wailing and gnashing of teeth among the Clarksonistas.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is even more ridiculously the case in the US where they make much smaller road (fuel and purchase) tax revenues pay for many more miles of roads.

No idea what the ratio is there but in the UK VED and fuel duties *barely* pay for the national highways agencies, which only maintain the motorway network and a few major trunk routes. 95% of the roads in the UK are paid for by the relevant local authorities (or wider regional agencies) funded out of local taxes and the general central tax pot.

Or even better where places like NY we decide to draw millions from the thruway funding for NYC social programs at the cost of the rest of the state paying tolls when the drat road was almost paid off and I90 tolls through NY would have been abolished.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ripoff posted:

Maybe you should leave the trailer once in a while and go out and see the world, you'll see where things are headed. Electric cars and motorcycle are becoming more viable each and every day, and the world isn't going to keep using gasoline because of taxation reasons. So how do we deal with this? We can tax electricity, we can add an additional sales tax to a bicycle, or hell, we can tax cars based on usage and weight. Gas tax isn't going to magically carry us into the future. I'm sorry your corporate overlords at Exxon-Mobil aren't happy about this, maybe you can go buy a 70's era truck and blow them a bit longer for their benefit.

Also your wingnut tears of "bicyclists don't pay taxes waah waah" :reddit: is hilariously stupid because bicyclists, cars and motorcycles don't do loving poo poo to your precious roads. If you really want to tax things fairly you gotta start hitting up those heavy OTR trucks that have serious axle weight (which itself is full of problems). Your loving gas tax is a hilarious joke as well because it only punishes people who drive bigger, gas-guzzling vehicles. It's regressive as hell because Mr. Six Figures is probably driving a top-tier Lexus/BMW hybrid or Tesla car while the poorer denizens of the inner cities have to drive cheaper trucks and cars, which are usually huge SUVs and cars that get poor mileage. If they drive the same as Mr. Six Figures, they're paying more in taxes per relative income. That said, you're probably okay with this because you come across as one of those "gently caress you; got mine" types that burns tires in your backyard every time someone buys an alternative fuel vehicle because it's not benefiting your lifestyle.

Using the word "entitlement" when trying to encourage people to use a system that benefits everyone financially (especially the poor, who don't have to pay a huge chunk of their income in keeping a car running) as well as decreasing the amount of automotive traffic around rush-hour and ultimately fights against global warming is the dumbest poo poo I've read on these forums in quite a while.

Ian Hespeldt, is that you?
http://sfist.com/2015/09/08/39-year-old_cyclist_arrested_in_cri.php

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Normally I can't stand the faux gang banger Harley riders with their stupid open pipes, but I can't think of a more appropriate venue than Critical Mass rallies for some oval office to dress up tough and go annoy people.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ripoff posted:

Truth.

Also critical mass rides are pretty regressive. Or bring about regressive behavior, I guess.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 8, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is critical mass?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass_(cycling)

It's when a bunch of cyclists get in a group and ride on public streets. The idea is that it's a peaceful demonstration or exercising of rights (since cycling on public roads is entirely legal) to make cyclists more commonplace on roads in the eyes of drivers, thereby promoting general awareness of cyclists. What it usually turns into (in my experience) is a bunch of college students being dicks en masse, holding up traffic, and enraging drivers so they do things like hit cyclists with their cars and take on opinions like our boy Verge here.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I firmly believe all cyclists are cunts, and I have yet to see a single exception to this claim.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ok

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass_(cycling)

It's when a bunch of cyclists get in a group and ride on public streets. The idea is that it's a peaceful demonstration or exercising of rights (since cycling on public roads is entirely legal) to make cyclists more commonplace on roads in the eyes of drivers, thereby promoting general awareness of cyclists. What it usually turns into (in my experience) is a bunch of college students being dicks en masse, holding up traffic, and enraging drivers so they do things like hit cyclists with their cars and take on opinions like our boy Verge here.

I see.

Nothing promotes calm discourse and rational debate like turning every fence-sitter in sight into your forever enemy in the span of a few minutes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
HEY YALL, I just came here into this CYCLE asylum and I am just so happy there is a place online for us cycle enthusiasts to talk about turnin' chains with our feet and stuff and I just want to extend a warm welcome...to...you.... :stare:

Seriously, though, it brings me no end of joy that they actually were able to catch that guy. It brings even more joy that it ended up somehow being a jackpot chimera of like ten kinds of jerkbag. Like icing on the cake. Dude didn't even bother to change his appearance or mode of transportation to lay low after that. He just let his jerk flag fly right in the face of local BIKE patrol officers, who then arrest him. It doesn't get better than that.

I wish I could ride my bike anywhere around here. People hate you, you feel awful and fearful of cars blasting by right next to you, and it just isn't pleasant. Motorcycling feels infinitely safer.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Wow, lotta new posts in he... :staredog:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I grew up in a little town in south Arkansas, population 8000 or so. Bikes stop being cool at about 12, and I was a pretty serious cyclist from junior high on. Got run off the road, honked at daily, had stuff thrown at me, had dogs set on me, pretty much all of it. Never figured out where the hate came from, as there was literally nobody pushing any kind of share the road agenda. College and grad school were in a much more bike friendly town, but the most vocal supporters of bike rights seemed to be that kind of guy, so I could understand the hate there. There were frequent critical mass rides in town and lots of confrontations with drivers resulting. I don't see it ever improving. Now I'm in a town with a great bicycle infrastructure and a ton of support from the residents for it. Full bike lanes, tons of dedicated paths all over town, buses with racks inside and out, lots of businesses and workplaces give incentives to patrons and employees, the list goes on. And you don't see that kind of dickhead ruining it for the rest of us.

Developing a bike infrastructure and maintaining it is a really socially responsible thing to do and cities absolutely benefit from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Bikes have the same problem in America that motorcycles do - they're not mainstream enough to be normal so you get absurdist subcultures that spring up where people associate their identity with some stupid loving bullshit possession rather than the experience that thing is supposed to provide.

Incidentally, this is human nature the world over, and the more exclusive something gets, the more likely people are to be terrible shitlords about it.