Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a way to get Quiet back as a Buddy after finishing Quiet Exit mission?
She was my favorite buddy and I never even got to develop Sniper Wolf outfit for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Man, the bosses in this game besides the Metal Gear one are just garbage. Not that there are there many to begin with, it's just the Skulls 4 times, Volgin and then Metal Gear, and from those you can skip 3 of the 4 Skulls encounters.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a way to get Quiet back as a Buddy after finishing Quiet Exit mission?
She was my favorite buddy and I never even got to develop Sniper Wolf outfit for her.

Nope! Was kind of upset that there is no indication that she'd be gone for good, considering how every other part of the game is so replayable. Having Quiet come back as a buddy makes just as much sense as being able to replay story missions, imo.

On a completely unrelated note, the Wormhole Fulton is insanely good for FOB stuff. It makes it basically impossible for the guards to see you Fultoning all their friends away, and you can use in without any open sky coverage, which is a godsend on the R+D platform.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I like that boss fights are escapable, it makes sense for an open world game. To be honest I also like how I have no ready counter to the Skulls and bosses that never lose you once they've spotted you at least makes sense as a gimmick. I'm sure there's better ways to handle them but outside of homing weapons I have no idea how.

Man on Fire was a pretty good fight, if a little too easy. Sahelanthropus is OK. Nothing super memorable but I wouldn't say totally awful either.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Is it possible to go back and take out Sahelanthropus during Hellbound?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I genuinely didn't realise you were supposed to fight the Man on Fire. I just called in a chopper and escaped, took about 30 seconds.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I just led him over to the reservoir, looped around him, and shotgunned him into it. One hit kill.

It wasn't really a "boss" so much as a kind of puzzle, but it was still pretty tense, and Mission 20 in general had a really great atmosphere. The lab, yet again, made me wish for a Silent Hills that will never be.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
decided to start loving with people in the main thread who are slowing releazing the twist.

"no i dont see anything in the reflection, maybe turn your graphics down?"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'm just curious about one thing, having not started the game yet/avoiding this thread.

I was checking the wiki for the story of MG1, and MG2, because I've always wanted to play them, but could never really work up the ability to play something so aged without the nostalgia.

Finally tried today, failed, which led to me scrolling down to see what they are referenced in, and I see. "Referenced in MGSV" to both games. That's a bit odd, since MGSV happens what, 11 years earlier?

It also spoiled how Big Boss came back in MG2, but whatever, that's not the craziest spoiler in the game I imagine.

This is my question. Does MGSV end in such a way that it goes over the events of MG1 and MG2 in a more playable/modern way then the old MSX games. Could I theoretically use the end of MGSV as a means of understanding the events of MG1 and MG2 before jumping back into MGS1. Or..how exactly does it reference the events of MG1/MG2 otherwise?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rookersh posted:

This is my question. Does MGSV end in such a way that it goes over the events of MG1 and MG2 in a more playable/modern way then the old MSX games. Could I theoretically use the end of MGSV as a means of understanding the events of MG1 and MG2 before jumping back into MGS1. Or..how exactly does it reference the events of MG1/MG2 otherwise?

It doesn't. There's very little information (from the sound of what you've already had spoiled, nothing new) that the game tells you about MG1 and MG2.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
So how'd Big Boss grow a beard in like 3 hours in the last ending? The whole Paz illusion and other brain damage stuff makes me doubt it being the real truth.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Rookersh posted:

It ends with Venom Boss getting a tape from Big Boss about Operation Intrude N313, which is MG1.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Discendo Vox posted:

It doesn't. There's very little information (from the sound of what you've already had spoiled, nothing new) that the game tells you about MG1 and MG2.

According to the guidebook (MGSV ending spoilers in that link) (which bills itself as being heavily made in conjunction with the MGSV development team so it'd be shameful if they were making the following up) at this point the MSX versions of MG1 and MG2 are as canon as Portable Ops. That is, the main events during the game happen, but much of what happens during the game can be considered non-applicable filler at this point. Meaning yes, the poisonous Zanzibar hamsters are in danger of never having existed in the world of Metal Gear Solid.

That link about what the guide says also mentions something really...dumb about Operation Intrude, mainly that (again spoilers) not only is it not Big Boss you fight at the end, according the official sources the strategy guide heard from, it wasn't even Big Boss who helped you over the radio throughout the game at any point. It was an AI all along.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

They have some amazing plastic surgeons in Cyprus i guess. They can even make a black guy white!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Perhaps Kojima was considering remaking MG1 and 2.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

According to the guidebook (MGSV ending spoilers in that link) (which bills itself as being heavily made in conjunction with the MGSV development team so it'd be shameful if they were making the following up) at this point the MSX versions of MG1 and MG2 are as canon as Portable Ops. That is, the main events during the game happen, but much of what happens during the game can be considered non-applicable filler at this point. Meaning yes, the poisonous Zanzibar hamsters are in danger of never having existed in the world of Metal Gear Solid.

That link about what the guide says also mentions something really...dumb about Operation Intrude, mainly that (again spoilers) not only is it not Big Boss you fight at the end, according the official sources the strategy guide heard from, it wasn't even Big Boss who helped you over the radio throughout the game at any point. It was an AI all along.

I'm not sure where that very last bit is coming from, but the rest is correct.

As far as I can tell, Venom is the one that Solid kills in MG1, and the real Big Boss is the one who was helping him over the radio. Venom didn't expect Solid to actually complete the mission and was feeding him fake intel. It is unclear whether the real Big Boss also expected / wanted Solid to fail, or if he wanted Venom gone - the fact that Venom kind of goes nuts and creates a nuclear - armed stronghold seems to imply the latter.

edit: But yeah, MG1 and 2 are only canon in the broadest possible sense at this point.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The credits should've had footage from MG1 like MGS4 did during Ocelot's big speech at the end.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Really disappointed that they never really talk about psycho mantis at all. I was really interested in learning more about him.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

edit: But yeah, MG1 and 2 are only canon in the broadest possible sense at this point.

I mean at least admitting to that makes it easier to swallow Madnar still being alive by MGS4 after you supposedly shot a bunch of remote controlled explosive missiles into his body in MG2 just to get him off your back if now that event never actually happened.

But man now this means a lot of stuff potentially never happened. The hooting owl puzzle alone.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So are there any clear info on who is Venom and who is Big Boss in other MGS games post TPP? Particularly MG1 and 2.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jack Trades posted:

So are there any clear info on who is Venom and who is Big Boss in other MGS games post TPP? Particularly MG1 and 2.

Venom is the Big Boss of MG1, Naked is the Big Boss of everything else.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah Venom is killed in MG1.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

randombattle posted:

Yeah Venom is killed in MG1.

Excuse me I think you're forgetting a game called Snake's Revenge.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm not sure where that very last bit is coming from, but the rest is correct.

As far as I can tell, Venom is the one that Solid kills in MG1, and the real Big Boss is the one who was helping him over the radio. Venom didn't expect Solid to actually complete the mission and was feeding him fake intel. It is unclear whether the real Big Boss also expected / wanted Solid to fail, or if he wanted Venom gone - the fact that Venom kind of goes nuts and creates a nuclear - armed stronghold seems to imply the latter.

I know- the person I was responding to appears to have already had that fact spoiled for himself.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

I know- the person I was responding to appears to have already had that fact spoiled for himself.

Yeah, I meant the AI part. There is nothing I can think of that implies the Big Boss you are talking to on the radio in MG1 is an AI, and it makes more sense that it is the real BB since he is the one who actually organizes the mission in the first place.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is there a reason to ever use a soldier who isn't Snake in deployment?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SweetBro posted:

Is there a reason to ever use a soldier who isn't Snake in deployment?

You can get a medal if you do missions with a non-Snake guy, which significantly raises stats.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

decided to start loving with people in the main thread who are slowing releazing the twist.

"no i dont see anything in the reflection, maybe turn your graphics down?"

I'd still like a screenshot of this. I swear it isn't working for me on PS4.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Some of them have cool abilities, like being able to run faster (which is nice for those missions when you want to roll with DD / Quiet but don't want to get in a highly visible vehicle) and having a longer-lasting reflex mode (dropping an entire base with the Riot SMG in slow motion is pretty fun). Pretty sure they also get to play around with more secondary weapons, since you don't have the bionic hand.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Some of them have cool abilities, like being able to run faster (which is nice for those missions when you want to roll with DD / Quiet but don't want to get in a highly visible vehicle) and having a longer-lasting reflex mode (dropping an entire base with the Riot SMG in slow motion is pretty fun). Pretty sure they also get to play around with more secondary weapons, since you don't have the bionic hand.

All of the soldier abilities are researched for Snake eventually through bionic arm upgrades so he's really the best soldier. You can rush through easy missions as random mooks to get their stats up though

edit: i think they don't get more secondaries either, they just have a blocked off bionic slot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wonder how many people have gotten hosed over by the butterfly emblem thing so far

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I guess all this weird Big Boss stuff at least gives the vague impression of a reasoning for the last remaining "cartoon villain" of the series, but it sure was a bit sloppy of a way to do it, and raises more questions than answers about Naked Snake. I'm going to blame the rest of whatever happens after this game on the AI though. That just leaves Coldman and Huey as the last psychopaths who I don't have a clear understanding of why they do loving evil poo poo constantly. The reasons for them both seem to boil down to "I think I am correct and gently caress you" which is possibly the scariest possible rationale for destroying everything. Everyone else who becomes a villain seems to be various revenge ripples of events from back then and/or pawns of AI fuckery.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Huey didn't seem like a psychopath so much as an incredible coward who's constantly lying to cover his rear end.

although i guess he murders his wife so theres that

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Funky Britches posted:

Huey didn't seem like a psychopath so much as an incredible coward who's constantly lying to cover his rear end.

although i guess he murders his wife so theres that

He also used his son as a test pilot in a dangerous experiment and betrayed every single group that ever helped him.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One cool thing about the whole Venom Boss thing is that every MGS game was about the protagonist getting used for bigger goals of others.
This time though it's YOU being used for the goals of the actual Big Boss, and you don't realize it until the very end.

EDIT: The second infection part is loving amazing too. The iDroid notifications were cherry on top of that.
TPP is loving brilliant. gently caress you if you disagree.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 6, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

randombattle posted:

He also used his son as a test pilot in a dangerous experiment and betrayed every single group that ever helped him.
Him killing himself after being cucked by his own son is probably the most fitting end he can meet.

He tried to take Emma with him though, as his last act of villainous spite.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's cool that this game reconciles "rear end in a top hat who tried to drown his stepdaughter" from MGS2 and "literally Otacon in a wheelchair" from Peace Walker in a pretty perfect way.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

It's great because you expect him to be all bro with Snake like Otacon is and he turns out to be a big piece of poo poo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't made it there yet, but I heard that there is a side op you do where quiet leaves

Do you ever see her in the story again or get her once you do all the missions or osmething?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eonwe posted:

I haven't made it there yet, but I heard that there is a side op you do where quiet leaves

Do you ever see her in the story again or get her once you do all the missions or osmething?

Quiet leaves after the very last story mission of the game, the one after the secret secret ending even and she never comes back.

I was very bummed out after I found out that she doesn't come back. You could even say that because of her absence I was feeling...phantom pain. She was a really good buddy.

• Locked thread