Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I chose to play on Brynhildr due to the presence of friends and it's a nice play too. I don't know how the population compares to the bigger servers but it always feels pretty full and lively, except at certain crazy late hours of the night, and even that's just based on a lack of open PF options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

So I decided to re-up again after not playing for a while, and I remember they had an option to pay for your subscription using your paypal account (since I don't have a creditcard) but the only thing I can find now is paying through paypal using a creditcard, not your paypal account. Am I missing some obscure option somewhere or did they actually take away a payment option?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If I remember you can get Crysta with Paypal and then use that to pay for a month, maybe?

If you have the Steam version you can use your Steam wallet as well which also takes Paypal.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If I remember you can get Crysta with Paypal and then use that to pay for a month, maybe?

If you have the Steam version you can use your Steam wallet as well which also takes Paypal.

Yeah that's what I used to do, but when I try that now it goes to the 'pay with your creditcard through paypal' thing instead of the 'pay using your paypal account' And sadly I don't have the steam version, which I am very much regretting right now.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If I own the PC version and want to buy the PS4 version digitally, will it give me a code to throw into the Mog Station or do I just tie my copy to my current account when I launch the console game?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Faerie used to be a pretty quiet server. Then a bunch of streamers and their enormous fanbases moved there and it's actually a pretty high-pop server now. :shrug:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Moldy Taxes posted:

If I own the PC version and want to buy the PS4 version digitally, will it give me a code to throw into the Mog Station or do I just tie my copy to my current account when I launch the console game?

The latter, you register on PSN and link the game to your SE (mog) account from within the game's launcher. Keep in mind that once you do that your FFXIV and PSN accounts are permanently linked, so make sure you do it from your own account rather than a friend/shared/temporary one

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Well, the MNK Fists dropped.

Just on the wrong character...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Tyberius posted:

Cool, let me know if you manage to get on Excalibur and I'll hook you up with some spending money to get started.

I got in in the month before HW came out and just played until my free month ran out. Still working through the MSQ at lvl 43 though. My ingame name is Swift's Taylor.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

UraniumFuelElement posted:

Yeah that's what I used to do, but when I try that now it goes to the 'pay with your creditcard through paypal' thing instead of the 'pay using your paypal account' And sadly I don't have the steam version, which I am very much regretting right now.

They dropped ultimatepay which messed with the options a lot (and also ended the era of me buying crysta with bitcoin rip in piece) :(

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I chose to play on Brynhildr due to the presence of friends and it's a nice play too. I don't know how the population compares to the bigger servers but it always feels pretty full and lively, except at certain crazy late hours of the night, and even that's just based on a lack of open PF options.

There really aren't any deserted servers as far as I can tell, as so few are open to new characters at any given time that any open one tends to have a ton of new adventurers and they're all doing new adventurer things. I've played around on those servers and they don't feel empty at all because there's a bunch of other new people running around populating the new player areas way more than the older servers where the entire population is crammed into idylshire and housing areas. Excalibur almost feels empty when you level a new job or manage to get a character on it because there are so few new people running around doing the early MSQ.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How do you actually turn Crysta into months, though? Do you have to wait for your current subscription to wind down or something?

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!
So the progression status on our server can only be described with the word "what".

There's a newish progression FC that was started by one Saudi guy who was rejected from at least some progression FCs on his server before FCoB for allegedly not being very good, and, apropos, his FC didn't really end up doing well on FCoB. For Alex Savage, he pulled out the big guns though; he started "buying" players from other progression FCs from multiple servers, including us, offering people money from hundreds up to a couple of thousand € if they change FC/server or just stop playing to kill progress.

I'd kind of get it if we were talking about wurl fursts or if there were some kind of prizes or sponsorships on the line but this is not even world second, and may not even be EU first. Maybe he just wants to hurt and go after those who rejected him. All I know is, cheese machine clear in an anime catgirl simulator is pretty serious business.

Moskau fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 5, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He's just mad that he missed his chance in Eve online.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paying to kill progress is mad.exe but paying for progress is nothing out of ordinary in popular MMOs. I know a guy who lives off progression raiding in another game, and lives quite well.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kalstrams posted:

Paying to kill progress is mad.exe but paying for progress is nothing out of ordinary in popular MMOs. I know a guy who lives off progression raiding in another game, and lives quite well.

Do tell

Moskau posted:

So the progression status on our server can only be described with the word "what".

There's a newish progression FC that was started by one Saudi guy who was rejected from at least some progression FCs on his server before FCoB for allegedly not being very good, and, apropos, his FC didn't really end up doing well on FCoB. For Alex Savage, he pulled out the big guns though; he started "buying" players from other progression FCs from multiple servers, including us, offering people money from hundreds up to a couple of thousand € if they change FC/server or just stop playing to kill progress.

I'd kind of get it if we were talking about wurl fursts or if there were some kind of prizes or sponsorships on the line but this is not even world second, and may not even be EU first. Maybe he just wants to hurt and go after those who rejected him. All I know is, cheese machine clear in an anime catgirl simulator is pretty serious business.

Why not just take his money and keep on progressing? And there are small reasons to what people will use money for when it comes to revenge.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Contract for content tier with base pay, varying bonuses for country/region/world firsts. Money paid by private sponsor who gets various favours in exchange. Raiders also earn extra on the side by raiding from others' characters to clear the content they want and gear them out etcetera.

Base contract pay alone last year was higher than respective yearly average post-tax salary where (EU) the guy lives.

Raiding for others' toons went as high as 80 USD/person/hour.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

They dropped ultimatepay which messed with the options a lot (and also ended the era of me buying crysta with bitcoin rip in piece) :(

There really aren't any deserted servers as far as I can tell, as so few are open to new characters at any given time that any open one tends to have a ton of new adventurers and they're all doing new adventurer things. I've played around on those servers and they don't feel empty at all because there's a bunch of other new people running around populating the new player areas way more than the older servers where the entire population is crammed into idylshire and housing areas. Excalibur almost feels empty when you level a new job or manage to get a character on it because there are so few new people running around doing the early MSQ.

This. I'm just starting again and when leveling (level 21) I hardly ever see people around me on Excalibur, usually one or two at most when I see a fate around me. I have this weird performance anxiety about dungeons and have been putting off doing satasha since I'm a tank and am worried about doing lovely but whatevs. I bet the dungeon finder is probably pretty full and I'd get a group too. Maybe I'll finally do satasha today :D I want to progress in the story definitely since I'm already behind

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I got in in the month before HW came out and just played until my free month ran out. Still working through the MSQ at lvl 43 though. My ingame name is Swift's Taylor.

I'll send you a friend request next time I log in, in-game name is Ashikoki Hime.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Moskau posted:

Are you saying I could get a paid vacation from A4S progression with saudi oil money? What an amazing deal and excuse to take a break from that poo poo.

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!

Eerkik posted:

This. I'm just starting again and when leveling (level 21) I hardly ever see people around me on Excalibur, usually one or two at most when I see a fate around me. I have this weird performance anxiety about dungeons and have been putting off doing satasha since I'm a tank and am worried about doing lovely but whatevs. I bet the dungeon finder is probably pretty full and I'd get a group too. Maybe I'll finally do satasha today :D I want to progress in the story definitely since I'm already behind

I get this real bad when I tank for some reason and I'm not sure why. I have a friend to level my tank with, so it's easier to feel better about myself when I have someone to talk to on Skype, but even if we didn't have Skype, it's easier going in when you know someone, period. I'm on Excal too, and relatively new, and if you wanted me to tag along with you either as heals or dps, I'd be happy too. You can shoot me a friend request on Ariesa Starsong! (I'd have PMed you the offer, but you don't have PM access. :shobon: )

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Eerkik posted:

Just do it, tanking sastasha is a breeze and if you gently caress up nothing matters. Occasionally people get obnoxious and about others' mistakes or learning but they are assholes (and usually the rest of the party will back you up if you kick them for being especially vicious or obnoxiously mean*.)

Enjoy the best role and pretty much no queue times ever. And seriously learning to be a primadonna rear end in a top hat is great practice for overcoming that kind of anxiety, I highly recommend it.

*Seriously I had a Brayflox like last week that was my first time I've ever done a dungeon as AST, I wasn't used to any buttons yet and was fumbling poo poo, the tank died saving the last gobbie from the pelicans because I hosed up targeting, but I unfucked things and we saved the gobbie, and the tank just like, wouldn't loving shut up or stop berating me despite that I apologized and explained I was getting used to literally the first time I've ever done a dungeon as AST. The rest of the group was more than happy to kick him. We got a goon tank in and had fun and I probably went on about Brayflox lore or some poo poo as I am wont to do. People in this game are much nicer on average compared to other MMOs, it's a point of pride, and excessive dickishness is rarely tolerated.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 6, 2015

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah. I found when I was starting to heal/tank that saying I was a newbie at it made people much less likely to chuck a hissy fit at me and even more likely to actually give me advice. Hell, I hosed up one run of qarn as a healer and apologized for it and I still got 2 comms. People are pretty forgiving as long as you aren't a dick, I've found.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Eerkik posted:

I've never seen anybody screw up in Sastasha. Pull mobs with Shield Lob/Tomahawk, get more enmity with Flash/Overpower, stay out of the orange poo poo on the ground.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wonder Turbine posted:

I've never seen anybody screw up in Sastasha.

You live in a strange world, but your advice is solid.

I regularly end up the tank in Sastasha on my WHM.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My only really bad sastasha was with a CNJ that thought he was dps and would just lob rocks at thing all the time instead of healing. I dont think he was even a bot because he would start kiting when he pulled aggro.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Maybe he just wants to be a Geomancer.

#GeomancerFor4.0

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

My only really bad sastasha was with a CNJ that thought he was dps and would just lob rocks at thing all the time instead of healing. I dont think he was even a bot because he would start kiting when he pulled aggro.

I'm pretty sure when I get Satasha as my LLDR with healer classes I spend more time in cleric stance than I do out of it. Although I gather they straight up never left it in your case? You couldn't have gotten very far.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

Yeah. I found when I was starting to heal/tank that saying I was a newbie at it made people much less likely to chuck a hissy fit at me and even more likely to actually give me advice. Hell, I hosed up one run of qarn as a healer and apologized for it and I still got 2 comms. People are pretty forgiving as long as you aren't a dick, I've found.

Yeah part of the reason the dude was having a loving meltdown was even because I was in the entire battlemage set (Gob bless the undersize party option) so clearly I couldn't be THAT new and furthermore,

He might not have even gotten as bad had my search info not been packed with 50/60s and I wasn't decked out in gear from that dungeon, so that's even less to worry about for truly new people.

I've seen some interesting things sharking on a new character and not removing the sprout icon but most of them have to do with me bringing my usual primadonna rear end in a top hat attitude while being apparently brand new and then loving something up :v:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm pretty sure when I get Satasha as my LLDR with healer classes I spend more time in cleric stance than I do out of it. Although I gather they straight up never left it in your case? You couldn't have gotten very far.

As SCH you never, ever, ever need to leave cleric stance in sastasha unless something REALLY bad is happening. As WHM you occasionally need to toss a heal. And speaking of mad people I've definitely caused some ragey caremad when learning to play healer and not quite having cleric stance toggling down and a wipe or tank death happening. I've learned by not being the tank in my activities recently that my god some tanks can be super huge babies.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 6, 2015

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Boten Anna posted:

As SCH you never, ever, ever need to leave cleric stance in sastasha unless something REALLY bad is happening. As WHM you occasionally need to toss a heal. And speaking of mad people I've definitely caused some ragey caremad when learning to play healer and not quite having cleric stance toggling down and a wipe or tank death happening. I've learned by not being the tank in my activities recently that my god some tanks can be super huge babies.

Sometimes I mess up clicking off cleric stance and proceed to feel really dumb after wondering why my heals did absolutely nothing. I think that's a fundamental FF14 healer experience.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Obligatum VII posted:

Sometimes I mess up clicking off cleric stance and proceed to feel really dumb after wondering why my heals did absolutely nothing. I think that's a fundamental FF14 healer experience.

Happened too often on WHM :negative:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Solefald posted:

Yeah I wasn't really aware until I was told. The party I was in was incredibly surprised we survived Brayflox's Longstop with an amateur Maurader!
You were doing way less enmity and were much less survivable than you should be.

Also while you're leveling GLD you'll wanna keep going until 22 for Provoke, the only taunt in the game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

I've learned by not being the tank in my activities recently that my god some tanks can be super huge babies.
I am having this experience except with healers. I've played healer for so long that now that I'm dabbling in DPS it amazes me what histrionic drama queens healers can be.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

That it is. Also tip: I finally kind of got the hang of Cleric Stance by realizing that it queues, and the timing is a bit more generous than most other things it seems

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I am having this experience except with healers. I've played healer for so long that now that I'm dabbling in DPS it amazes me what histrionic drama queens healers can be.

Now that I know how to SCH, I am pretty disgusted at how many healers do literally 0 dps. Lazy loving assholes.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

I've learned by not being the tank in my activities recently that my god some tanks can be super huge babies.

I once had a PLD in the Stone Vigil tell me not to DPS as a SCH or I'll get aggro. Needless to say they were terrible at keeping aggro anyways.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Boten Anna posted:

Now that I know how to SCH, I am pretty disgusted at how many healers do literally 0 dps. Lazy loving assholes.

A lot of people playing a healer want to play a healer rather than a DPS that keeps the party alive at the same time. Yoshi-P has even said they don't design things with healer DPS in mind.

That's a slippery debate to get into though. One side says you're being lazy by not DPSing and just making things slower while the other side says their job is to keep the party alive and if they are doing so then get off their backs. Neither side is wrong I think, I can see both viewpoints.

That said, a SCH is the best equipped to contribute DPS so it likely is laziness if they aren't.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

YoshiOfYellow posted:

A lot of people playing a healer want to play a healer rather than a DPS that keeps the party alive at the same time. Yoshi-P has even said they don't design things with healer DPS in mind.

That's a slippery debate to get into though. One side says you're being lazy by not DPSing and just making things slower while the other side says their job is to keep the party alive and if they are doing so then get off their backs. Neither side is wrong I think, I can see both viewpoints.

That said, a SCH is the best equipped to contribute DPS so it likely is laziness if they aren't.

hahaahaha.

apart from your first clear having no clue whats going on, if you dont dps as a healer you are not playing your class to its fullest = lazy.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Pews posted:

hahaahaha.

apart from your first clear having no clue whats going on, if you dont dps as a healer you are not playing your class to its fullest = lazy.

There are some people to whom it's probably never occured, like tanking a boss in Sword Oath/Deliverance. Once you understand you're capable of it, you should be doing it whenever you're comfortable, but not everyone gets there at the same pace (or is as comfortable doing it, for that matter).

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Niton posted:

There are some people to whom it's probably never occured, like tanking a boss in Sword Oath/Deliverance. Once you understand you're capable of it, you should be doing it whenever you're comfortable, but not everyone gets there at the same pace (or is as comfortable doing it, for that matter).

so can we agree to call them ignorant and/or lazy?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I disagree. The game is designed such that you should be doing something with every GCD, and if you're just healing with no DPS, you will either be standing around with your thumb up your butt a LOT or constantly overhealing/topping up. The only situations in which I can see sitting around being viable are: WHM prior to Shroud of Saints, since MP can be tricky, and when you're new to healing or doing your first clear of an instance. Outside of those scenarios, not contributing to DPS pretty much means you're playing badly.

CAVEAT: If you're DPSing too much and people are dying, that means you aren't good enough at healing yet to be stance dancing so much and need a better feel for when it's safe to DPS. This is worse than standing around with your thumb up your butt, but some people are so deathly afraid of it happening that they never DPS, which is also bad.

e: The devs not designing encounters with healer DPS in mind is misinterpreted a LOT, so clearing that up: this is referring to progression raiding, during which healers CAN be productively using every GCD on healing. Healer DPS is considered a "bonus" because it can only happen when people avoid avoidable damage and tanks use cooldowns appropriately. By no means does "progression raiding is tuned to not include healer DPS" mean "healers are not designed to DPS ever."

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The moral of the CNJ questline lia literally "DPS you scrub"

Also, I can't imagine how boring healing would be if I wasn't DPSing.

• Locked thread