Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New issue - http://www.mangareader.net/boku-no-hero-academia/57

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Interesting that simply because Stain agreed to "work with" the Villain Alliance but just wound up doing his own thing and disregarding them completely, now the rumors are floating that will draw other people who share or can be swayed by Stain's philosophies (or at least methods) together to work with Shigaraki and co. Even though Stain didn't actually give a gently caress about any of them and mostly hated Shigaraki, his name will be used for their benefit.

Also Midoriya still can't help being a huge dweeb even when just talking on the phone with a girl.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Iida's setting himself up for a situation where he needs the full use of his left hand to save someone but can't. :ohdear:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I am satisfied by this revelation :allears:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This is how legends are made.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
HaHa, Stain's story went all The Dark Knight. He's the villain they deserve not the one they need.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fun detail is poor Uraraka only having a flip phone since her parents are broke.

Cool chapter, but yeah totally never trusting Midoriya's stupid narration again. In the end...Iida's hand is kinda hosed up. Maybe. Oh well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He narrated from the middle of the fight with Stain: future (now past) Midoriya didn't know how it would turn out yet.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Gotta keep some narrative tension. :v:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Fabricated posted:

Fun detail is poor Uraraka only having a flip phone since her parents are broke.

Cool chapter, but yeah totally never trusting Midoriya's stupid narration again. In the end...Iida's hand is kinda hosed up. Maybe. Oh well.
A lot of people in Japan have flip phones. Here, they're not a "symbol of poverty", since most of the time they have just as much or more processing power as your average Galaxy or iPhone. I think it's a question of portability and size.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So it appears that all the new villains are just fans of Stain. The Lizard guy is even dressing like him.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
P sure even Japan has converted over to smartphones nowadays. While their flip phones are way more advanced, they're still outdated tech.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

TriffTshngo posted:

Interesting that simply because Stain agreed to "work with" the Villain Alliance but just wound up doing his own thing and disregarding them completely, now the rumors are floating that will draw other people who share or can be swayed by Stain's philosophies (or at least methods) together to work with Shigaraki and co. Even though Stain didn't actually give a gently caress about any of them and mostly hated Shigaraki, his name will be used for their benefit.

Also Midoriya still can't help being a huge dweeb even when just talking on the phone with a girl.
And then you have Shigaraki moping about how Stain took all the headlines, while the Noumus were pushed to the bench. Funny how all that worked out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
"Handcrusher-like presence", goddamn Todoroki is great.

Remember when we thought he was going to be the Sasuke of this series?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vengarr posted:

I figured that would be Bakugou since he hasn't really displayed any sort of reason to be a hero outside of having a quirk suited to fighting, and wanting to be rich/famous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyte posted:

P sure even Japan has converted over to smartphones nowadays. While their flip phones are way more advanced, they're still outdated tech.
Their flip phones are outdated tech, but it's more 'eh, it's cheaper' and not 'I am either starving, or I am going to use this to call in a hit and then toss it into the river."

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Astro Nut posted:

Turns out superheroes in Britain are an extension of the NHS.

I hope America's superhero system is as broken as our health care industry used to be/kinda still is.

Oh, you're a 16 foot tall ogre-man who's not independently wealthy? Have fun sleeping under a tarp outside for the rest of your life!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kyte posted:

Based on my gaijin knowledge, I think that japan's use of phones is....

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

they held onto flip phones for so long because they thought smart phones lacked security features and revealed too much personal info

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So he's definitely going to end up crushing all that badguy's hands right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, I'm really happy that they quickly resolved the issue of Todoroki's angst and that he's now a pretty nice, normal guy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I'm really happy that they quickly resolved the issue of Todoroki's angst and that he's now a pretty nice, normal guy.
Now he can be killed off. :toot:

Nah, it's kinda looking like the students are pretty safe at this point.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Fabricated posted:

Now he can be killed off. :toot:

Nah, it's kinda looking like the students are pretty safe at this point.

Now we can get back to lovin' the Alien Queen's style :D

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oh my god the frog girl can wash her stomach what the christ.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

Oh my god the frog girl can wash her stomach what the christ.

Frog powers.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Handcrusher should absolutely be Todoroki's hero name.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

IWhich sucks, because as crazy as Stain was he was focused and had something resembling principles so he wasn't just going around destroying things for no reason. This next wave of copy-cats and zealots who are going to shack up with Shigaraki are probably the same vein of villains that Stain would eliminate without a second thought. I'd like to see his reaction to how things are going to pan out in future chapters just to see how enraged he will become.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Brought To You By posted:

IWhich sucks, because as crazy as Stain was he was focused and had something resembling principles so he wasn't just going around destroying things for no reason. This next wave of copy-cats and zealots who are going to shack up with Shigaraki are probably the same vein of villains that Stain would eliminate without a second thought. I'd like to see his reaction to how things are going to pan out in future chapters just to see how enraged he will become.

This is probably going to lead to Stain getting out and transitioning into more of an anti-hero role. He's going to want to hunt down these punks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really hope Stain comes back. I kinda doubt it'll happen, but he was a fun villain for someone who only got a bit of characterization and one good fight.

Also him being technically correct about everything but his methodology was pretty cool too. I mean, he is kinda right.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I hope Stain comes back but not for awhile.

Probably too much to hope for a potentially long-running shounen to retain some sense of pacing, but here I am.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fabricated posted:

Also him being technically correct about everything but his methodology was pretty cool too. I mean, he is kinda right.
That's generally a pretty good place to have the villain be in this type of story. He has a lot to teach the protagonist, but his methodology can be outright rejected without much controversy.

Also yeah, if Stain comes back it'll hopefully be to ask the question, "How much have you learned since then?" That'll take a while.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I thought it was a nice thematic touch that Endeavor got all the credit for taking down Stain.

I imagine the guy ranks highly on Stain's personal hit list.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Twiddy posted:

That's generally a pretty good place to have the villain be in this type of story. He has a lot to teach the protagonist, but his methodology can be outright rejected without much controversy.

Also yeah, if Stain comes back it'll hopefully be to ask the question, "How much have you learned since then?" That'll take a while.
The only thing is that the kids don't really think much about Stain's motivations or if his reasoning is right. Iida just admits he was blinded by his vendetta and that Stain was right when he admonished him for not saving the pro hero first.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I really hope Stain comes back. I kinda doubt it'll happen, but he was a fun villain for someone who only got a bit of characterization and one good fight.

By his standards Uravity is probably somewhere on his hit-list. "Right" is going a bit too far. "Not completely delusional", perhaps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing about Stain is that, because he killed a bunch of heroes, he's basically irredeemable, so I don't see him coming back as any sort of positive figure. If he had just injured/crippled a bunch of folks then they could sell him "changing his ways" more easily.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jo Joestar posted:

By his standards Uravity is probably somewhere on his hit-list. "Right" is going a bit too far. "Not completely delusional", perhaps.
If I was him I'd kill her too. I originally thought that she'd be one of Stain's targets because it would unequivocally put him in the wrong while still adhering to his philosophy- where Iida's brother while seemingly a nice enough guy wasn't really characterized enough for us to really guess if he was a "phony".

Uraraka's lucky she's the female lead and the romantic interest for the MC. Well, if this was ACTUALLY more like American comics the latter would be like a loving death sentence but this is shounen.

Edit: And I still think Stain is mostly right. The word "hero" really does kinda lose most of its meaning when it's basically reduced to a job where a non-insignificant portion of the workers are just costumed assholes grand-standing, stealing eachothers work, and hocking junk on TV. It's a status that's earned, not a thing you can do for a paycheck.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 8, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't think Stain will ever be "Redeemed" or shuffled into the regular cast as an anti-hero or anything, but I do think the time will come when the cast is forced to acknowledge and respond to his philosophy; possibly face-to-face.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think Stain will ever be "Redeemed" or shuffled into the regular cast as an anti-hero or anything, but I do think the time will come when the cast is forced to acknowledge and respond to his philosophy; possibly face-to-face.

Right, certainly not a full "redemption", but perhaps he'll come back to die for his beliefs, putting an end to one of his copycats down the road.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chinese Raws out:
http://ishuhui.net/ReadComicBooks/2758

A fun chapter with post-apprenticeship chat with the kids, and All Might leading an exercise where Midoriya gets to show off and shock everyone with how awesome he is (even after he inevitably trips at the end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dat All Might Hank Hill butt.

Serious Liefielding going on in that thumbs up panel.