Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I'm in a 2 keeper league. You can keep 1 or 2 if you want, and you just skip the first or second round of the draft.

But this year, everybody had a round 2 pick? Their keepers counted for round 1 and round 3. Is this shady, or just something I'm unfamiliar with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Someone just dropped the Bills D/ST for the Colts. Am I missing something here or did that guy WAY overread into his defense?

The Colts start the year with the Bills, Jets, Titans, Jaguars, and Texans. The Bills start the year with the Colts, Patriots, Dolphins, Giants, and Bengals (e: then the Jags, tbf). The Colts are a much better defense to start the year than the Bills. The Bills are going to be in the bottom half of DSTs for the first 3 weeks, why would you start them?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 6, 2015

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Forever_Peace posted:

You'd have to be crazy not to take Gronk over Miller in any league with a TE spot, even in standard. You don't even need to understand positional scarcity - there's a pretty good chance Gronk outscores Miller outright. What on earth are you thinking?

Edit: alright I guess you didn't say that directly but you imply that Miller should likely go higher than 3.3 while Gronk should not which just seems totally backwards to me.

I did not say Miller should go before Gronk at all. I'm looking at where he is picking and saying Lamar Miller could be available in the 3rd if you don't want to go RB in the second. That was all.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

The Colts start the year with the Bills, Jets, Titans, Jaguars, and Texans. The Bills start the year with the Colts, Patriots, Dolphins, Giants, and Bengals (e: then the Jags, tbf). The Colts are a much better defense to start the year than the Bills. The Bills are going to be in the bottom half of DSTs for the first 3 weeks, why would you start them?

Bills have an elite defense and the Colts have a horrible one. Matchups aren't going to salvage the Colts. Meanwhile, the Bills will give you a solid contributor for the majority of the season.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bills have an elite defense and the Colts have a horrible one. Matchups aren't going to salvage the Colts. Meanwhile, the Bills will give you a solid contributor for the majority of the season.

Playing the matchups each week will be significantly better than sticking with the Bills or any single defense. Starting defenses when they play the Colts, Packers, Pats, or other elite offense is just asking for poor DST scoring. Even if you don't go full on streaming, you really don't want to start with a team that will play Colts, Pats, and Dolphins to start the year.

In any case, look at how any DST vs. Jags did last year. The quality of the offense facing your DST matters more than the quality of the DST. Last year the Colts scored 13, 13, and 6 against the Jags, Redskins, and Jags. The Bills scored 4, 9, 3, and 2 against NE, GB, Denver, and NE. Tampa Bay week 1 against the Titans this year is a highly recommended pick up. Streaming defenses in favorable matchups is just better than sticking with an elite DST regardless of matchup :shrug:

E: Last year, top 5 DSTs averaged 10.6, 9.5, 9.4, 9.2, and 8.5 points per game. Meanwhile, the best offenses to fade gave up 13.3, 11.2, 11.1, 10.1, and 9.8 points per game to opposing DSTs. Streaming FTW.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 6, 2015

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Fat Lowtax posted:

What kind of blood oath do I have to make to see "QB/WR" (lol) Terrelle Pryor get the Browns QB job down the stretch this year? Even a dogshit QB is basically a WR1 in non-PPR leagues, right?

More of a WR2/Flex, but yeah. Some people tried that with Joe Webb in week 16 of 2010 when Favre was injured since he had dual eligibility. He scored 0 TDS passing or rushing but still had 11 points.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The only DST strategy you need in fantasy is "which team is playing the Skins this week"

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Benne posted:

The only DST strategy you need in fantasy is "which team is playing the Skins this week"

Quoted for truth.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

cheese posted:

I give Julio Jones and J Stewart, I get Lynch and Greg Olsen.

12 team standard scoring, would give me a team of

QB: Sam Bradford
WR: Antonio Brown, Brandin Cooks, Vincent Jackson
RB: CJ Anderson, Lynch, Chris Ivory, Crowell, Ronnie Hillman, Ryan Mathews, Gio Bernard
TE: Greg Olsen (would drop Heath Miller, current TE)

I worry about going to 3 WR's especially since the wire is drat thin. Think I would need to try to trade Gio or Crowell for WR with upside like Stevie Johnson. Thoughts?
Any thoughts on this? Other owner is actually pestering me about it now which has me skeptical.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It looks fine to me, but if he's desperate enough to start badgering you, that's a good sign to try to sweeten the deal.

Axl Rose
Apr 29, 2013

cheese posted:

Any thoughts on this? Other owner is actually pestering me about it now which has me skeptical.

If you're in a 12 team league with a 6 man bench, then the waiver will not be shallow on WR after we see the early season breakouts. I'd mash accept, because you get two huuuuuuuuuuge upgrades and your downgrades are Julio to Cooks and Cooks to VJax. Remember, WR is the easiest position to find on waivers.

You could also think of it in terms of ADP... You're giving up a second and fifth rounder for an early first rounder and another fifth rounder. Do it now!

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Someone just dropped the Bills D/ST for the Colts. Am I missing something here or did that guy WAY overread into his defense?

Bills are better, but the Colts have a PHENOMINAL first few games

Samarium
Dec 15, 2005

The beauty of quitting is, now that I've quit, I can have one, 'cause I've quit.
Who do I select for my keeper?
It's an auction draft where we have $500. We can keep one player at the value that they were drafted last year (if the player was never on waivers), or get them at 85% of their average ESPN price. 0.5 ppr. 12 teams. Peterson, Bell, T.Y Hilton, Rodgers, Luck, Gronkowski, Lynch, and Charles are the players that have been selected for keepers so far. (three other teams still to pick).

code:
Player                      Price I can keep them for         ESPN average price
Antonio Brown                     $75                               $148
Lamar Miller                      $4                                $85
Deandre Hopkins                   $3                                $90
Golden Tate                       $14                               $40
Matt Forte                        $118                              $140
The value that I can get Miller or Hopkins for is crazy, but I think Brown is the correct answer.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I like Lamar Miller a lot for $4. That's great value for a potential RB1.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I like Miller for this season, but I think if you're planning more long-term I'd go with Hopkins. Depends on how long you can keep guys for and how well you think you'll do this year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

So my draft is tonight (we're down to eight teams, .5PPR- bah!) and I have the #1. I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable and taking Rodgers #1 overall, but have reservations because:

1. I never take a QB in the first round, but Rodgers has consistently finished #1 in points in my leagues the past few years
2. I am a Bears fan and I loving despise Aaron Rodgers and his dumb cheese gobbling rear end in a top hat team

Is this insane? Should I just take the stud RB because in an eight team league there will be plenty of fine QBs hovering around in later rounds?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

R.D. Mangles posted:

So my draft is tonight (we're down to eight teams, .5PPR- bah!) and I have the #1. I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable and taking Rodgers #1 overall, but have reservations because:

1. I never take a QB in the first round, but Rodgers has consistently finished #1 in points in my leagues the past few years
2. I am a Bears fan and I loving despise Aaron Rodgers and his dumb cheese gobbling rear end in a top hat team

Is this insane? Should I just take the stud RB because in an eight team league there will be plenty of fine QBs hovering around in later rounds?

Yes.

Unless you have 6pt TDs, RB and WRs are generally way more valuable then QBs with .5ppr. Especially in an 8 team league.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
(Aaron Rodgers point total - Seventh Round QB point total) <<<< (Stud RB point total - third round RB point total)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah that's the way to think about it, with the caveat that it's probably safer bet that Rodgers will be a stud QB than to bet that any specific RB will turn out to be a stud RB. But still you should take your shot.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yes, take the RB and stack up. If you were going QB, I'd go Luck anyway, but in an 8 team league, what's the floor of QB1 if you missed out on everyone, Tannehill/Brady/Ryan?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ok, cool.

Thanks!

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Being in an 8 man league myself, I'd say DEFINITELY wait. I took Russell Wilson in the .. 5th I wanna say? And regret it massively.

Rodgers is good but he's not that good. Just go WR/WR or WR/RB or something, there will most likely be a bunch of decent QB's left at the end of the draft.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Okay, so I'm trying to arrange a trade with a needy team in a 1 PPR league.

I have:
RB: Andre Ellington, Ameer Abdullah, Jonathan Stewart, Isaiah Crowell, Knile Davis, David Johnson, Ronnie Hillman
WR: Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Anquan Boldin, Allen Robinson, Stevie Johnson, DeVante Parker

He has:
RB: LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Hill, Rashad Jennings, Duke Johnson
WR: Jarvis Landry, Brandon LaFell, Mohamed Sanu, Tavon Austin, Donte Moncrief, James Jones, Doug Baldwin

Right now he's reeling from LaFell being out/Jones being cut/having a lovely WR corps in general. I'd like to send him a RB and a WR in exchange for Jeremy Hill in a deal that's relatively fair (though obviously I don't mind if it's lopsided in my favor). Shouldn't be too hard since just about anything will improve his team. Where should I start? Ellington + Boldin?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Juanito posted:

I'm in a 2 keeper league. You can keep 1 or 2 if you want, and you just skip the first or second round of the draft.

But this year, everybody had a round 2 pick? Their keepers counted for round 1 and round 3. Is this shady, or just something I'm unfamiliar with?
Anybody got any ideas about this?

To me, it's really shady that people would get to keep 2, but also get a round 2 pick, giving them an advantage over someone without any keepers.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Juanito posted:

To me, it's really shady that people would get to keep 2, but also get a round 2 pick, giving them an advantage over someone without any keepers.

You're asking us a question about the rules of your league, which we aren't privy to. How keepers work is something that is set by your commissioner. If you were overtly told one thing but he did another, call him out. This is presumably something you discussed as a league when you were choosing keepers. But there's nothing inherently implausible about making keepers cost a first and third.

Samarium
Dec 15, 2005

The beauty of quitting is, now that I've quit, I can have one, 'cause I've quit.

Juanito posted:

It seems like it really benefits people with two solid keepers, and really punishes everyone else. Like if you have no keepers and had the first pick, the best option might be someone who normally goes in the late second round. That's rough. It seems like it helps rich get richer. How did this rule change happen?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
.5 PPR

Okay. I'm not going to accept this trade but he's offering Drew Brees and I need some help finding a fair counter offer because my QB situation is the pits.

--
proposed trade

his:
Brees
John Brown
TJ Yeldon

for my:
Jordan Matthews
Frank Gore
--

HIS TEAM

QB: Drew Brees
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: John Brown
RB: Lamar Miller
RB: Doug Martin
TE: Martellus Bennett
FLEX: TJ Yeldon
BN: Ryan Mathewws
BN: Sam Bradford
BN: Joique Bell
BN: Percy Harvin
BN: Michael Crabtree
BN: Joe Flacco

MY TEAM:

QB: Carson Palmer
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Jordan Matthews
WR: Brandon Marshall
RB: Matt Forte
RB: Frank Gore
TE: Larry Donnell
FLEX: Melvin Gordon
BN: CJ Spiller
BN: Todd Gurley
BN: Anquan Boldin
BN: Giovani Bernard
BN: Isaiah Crowell
BN: Kendall Wright

I'm thinking for now I just wait for one of my backup RBs to have a breakout game and then start thinking about trades but if anybody sees potential in there I'd like to hear it. I just feel like the trade as stands is trying to take advantage of my bad QB situation when clearly I ignored that position in favor of depth elsewhere on purpose.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Timett posted:

.5 PPR

Okay. I'm not going to accept this trade but he's offering Drew Brees and I need some help finding a fair counter offer because my QB situation is the pits.

--
proposed trade

his:
Brees
John Brown
TJ Yeldon

for my:
Jordan Matthews
Frank Gore
--

HIS TEAM

QB: Drew Brees
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: John Brown
RB: Lamar Miller
RB: Doug Martin
TE: Martellus Bennett
FLEX: TJ Yeldon
BN: Ryan Mathewws
BN: Sam Bradford
BN: Joique Bell
BN: Percy Harvin
BN: Michael Crabtree
BN: Joe Flacco

MY TEAM:

QB: Carson Palmer
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Jordan Matthews
WR: Brandon Marshall
RB: Matt Forte
RB: Frank Gore
TE: Larry Donnell
FLEX: Melvin Gordon
BN: CJ Spiller
BN: Todd Gurley
BN: Anquan Boldin
BN: Giovani Bernard
BN: Isaiah Crowell
BN: Kendall Wright

I'm thinking for now I just wait for one of my backup RBs to have a breakout game and then start thinking about trades but if anybody sees potential in there I'd like to hear it. I just feel like the trade as stands is trying to take advantage of my bad QB situation when clearly I ignored that position in favor of depth elsewhere on purpose.

That is exactly what it is doing. If you went into your draft and took that strategy, don't feel like you have to trade to rectify that. Don't change your strategy just because someone dangled Drew Brees in front of you.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
CMike to Dallas. Yet another reason to avoid that backfield.

Injury McGee
Underwear Bandit
Fumbleman

Boy howdy that looks like fun for fantasy reasons :barf:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

RVProfootballer posted:

The Colts' defense is absolute dogshit, just FYI. Like, bottom 12 in terms of talent.

Samarium posted:

Who do I select for my keeper?
It's an auction draft where we have $500. We can keep one player at the value that they were drafted last year (if the player was never on waivers), or get them at 85% of their average ESPN price. 0.5 ppr. 12 teams. Peterson, Bell, T.Y Hilton, Rodgers, Luck, Gronkowski, Lynch, and Charles are the players that have been selected for keepers so far. (three other teams still to pick).

code:
Player                      Price I can keep them for         ESPN average price
Antonio Brown                     $75                               $148
Lamar Miller                      $4                                $85
Deandre Hopkins                   $3                                $90
Golden Tate                       $14                               $40
Matt Forte                        $118                              $140
The value that I can get Miller or Hopkins for is crazy, but I think Brown is the correct answer.

I err on the side of the cheaper price for a keeper. Either Hopkins or Miller, depending on position scarcity for your team. Both have about equal value in .5 PPR.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Christine Michael to Dallas. Kind of interested? May drop Zenner for him

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

I would. I have not been impressed by CMichael but the Dallas O-line >>>>>>>>> Seattle O-line. Maybe he does better in space?

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

the_american_dream posted:

I think the Dallas RB situation is way more murky, and the O-line in Dallas is better, so yeah, he's a good pickup.

EDIT: Murky in a good way- I think Michael has way less competition in front of him in Dallas than Zenner does in Detroit.

Enforka fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 6, 2015

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

quote:

Christine Michael immediately becomes #Cowboys most talented RB. Just keep in mind C-Mike's talent couldn't get him past Bob Turbin in SEA.
I really can't stand Evan Silva sometimes.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Ok, I received a trade offer that is almost certainly dumb and bad but I'm considering it because I expect a huge year from Luck and Bradford could die at any time. It's full point PPR.

I give: Calvin Johnson, Sam Bradford

I receive: Andrew Luck, Steve Smith

Is there any conceivable way Luck has a big enough year that I wouldn't immediately regret it? My other receivers are Dez Bryant, Davante Adams, Pierre Garçon, Terrance Williams and Markus Wheaton.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DeepDickPizza posted:

Ok, I received a trade offer that is almost certainly dumb and bad but I'm considering it because I expect a huge year from Luck and Bradford could die at any time. It's full point PPR.

Is there any conceivable way Luck has a big enough year that I wouldn't immediately regret it? My other receivers are Dez Bryant, Davante Adams, Pierre Garçon, Terrance Williams and Markus Wheaton.

Um, I'd take that trade if it's 6 points passing TDs. Luck is gonna own bones this year.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

DeepDickPizza posted:

No, the difference between Calvin Johnson and your potential new no. 2 of Davante Adams is bigger then the difference between No. 1 QB and potentially No. 5 QB.

Especially in PPR.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Only 4 points passing, 6 points rushing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DeepDickPizza posted:

Only 4 points passing, 6 points rushing.

Yeah that changes things a bit but you're also banking on a full season from Bradford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah that changes things a bit but you're also banking on a full season from Bradford.

Speaking of 6 point TD's... I have Russell Wilson and Brees. Ive been planning on starting Wilson, but my league is 6 point TD's, does that change anything or should I still start Wilson? Noob question!

Also crosspost from the rate my team thread:
I'm lacking depth at RB and I'm wondering if any of these guys on the wire would be a decent pickup, any suggestions?

J. Bell
Sproles
Tevin Coleman
Ryan Matthews
Deangelo Williams
Vereen
Hillman
Woodhead

Currently I only have three RB's; Lacy, Hill and J Stewart. Also, which of these guys would you drop: Victor Cruz, Allen Robinson, Charles Johnson. I'm leaning Cruz but idk. Any help would be appreciated! Non PPR 6PTD.

• Locked thread