Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vorpal Cat posted:

IDK they seem to be doing a much better job being salty in the Internet sense then the Christian one.

yeah i don't care what their real reason, this is canon to me now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's weird seeing how the the religious white wing reacts to Islam and how they think that religion is some sort of abomination to Jesus. Isn't one of the core things in Islam that Jesus not only did exist (though they don't revere him as important as Christians do) but that when the end comes, Jesus is one of the ones who will come to earth to kick rear end and take names? Like the dumb Conservative Rambo Jesus the far right likes to worship is almost* what Islam says we'll get in the final days?

* He's likely not a white WASPy guy in Islam though, which is probably blasphemy to fundies like Davis and her supporters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's weird seeing how the the religious white wing reacts to Islam and how they think that religion is some sort of abomination to Jesus. Isn't one of the core things in Islam that Jesus not only did exist (though they don't revere him as important as Christians do) but that when the end comes, Jesus is one of the ones who will come to earth to kick rear end and take names? Like the dumb Conservative Rambo Jesus the far right likes to worship is almost* what Islam says we'll get in the final days?

* He's likely not a white WASPy guy in Islam though, which is probably blasphemy to fundies like Davis and her supporters.

You're thinking too hard about this. It's simple as Islam=Terrorism and Evil for them.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I believe Jesus is "only" a prophet in Islam, not the Son of God.

People have gotten much more angry over much more minor differences in religious doctrine, so this is hardly surprising.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Evil Fluffy posted:

He isn't the Son of God for Islam though, which is a pretty big no-no for every Christians. He also doesn't get crucified or even die, instead he is raised to the Heavens by God.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

He isn't the Son of God for Islam though, which is a pretty big no-no for every Christians. He also doesn't get crucified or even die, instead he is raised to the Heavens by God.

Well, at least the very last part is the same for both then.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Motto posted:

You're thinking too hard about this. It's simple as Islam=Terrorism and Evil for them.

While it is this, there's also a bit more to it. Islam is the religion of the browns, but it's also the fastest growing religion in the world. It's literally their competition, and they're racist towards it, and the society they live in is focused on telling them how evil it is.

It's like a perfect set of reasons to be shitlords.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ProfessorCirno posted:

While it is this, there's also a bit more to it. Islam is the religion of the browns, but it's also the fastest growing religion in the world. It's literally their competition, and they're racist towards it, and the society they live in is focused on telling them how evil it is.

It's like a perfect set of reasons to be shitlords.

The Catholic Church is taking the same approach from the other side. Instead from being shitlords they are becoming more chill and accepting all sorts of hippy progressive poo poo now.
So they can keep their dwindling population.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Davethulhu posted:

In non-Kentucky gay marriage news, there's a judge in Oregon that's been refusing to do gay marriages.

You know, a wise judge once wrote that a judge who could not do his job because of moral issues should resign. For example, he talked about the death penalty:

quote:

While my views on the morality of the death penalty have nothing to do with how I vote as a judge, they have a lot to do with whether I can or should be a judge at all. To put the point in the blunt terms employed by Justice Harold Blackmun towards the end of his career on the bench, when he announced that he would henceforth vote (as Justices William Brennan and Thurgood Marshall had previously done) to overturn all death sentences, when I sit on a Court that reviews and affirms capital convictions, I am part of “the machinery of death.” My vote, when joined with at least four others, is, in most cases, the last step that permits an execution to proceed. I could not take part in that process if I believed what was being done to be immoral. . . .

In my view the choice for the judge who believes the death penalty to be immoral is resignation, rather than simply ignoring duly enacted, constitutional laws and sabotaging death penalty cases. He has, after all, taken an oath to apply the laws and has been given no power to supplant them with rules of his own. Of course if he feels strongly enough he can go beyond mere resignation and lead a political campaign to abolish the death penalty” and if that fails, lead a revolution. But rewrite the laws he cannot do.

And that judge's name was.... Tony Scalia.

Presto fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 5, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE, MAKES YOU THINK HUH :psypop:

For real though, that's honestly sick poo poo to even begin implying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Kim Davis would be one of the pricks denying MLK and Rosa Parks their rights. Gimme a break.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I love that there's so little actual actionable backlash to any of this stuff anymore that all big protests and shows of support have to be brought in by big groups pooling nutjobs from across the country. If this isn't done, then nothing happens at all to stop the march of progress. Maybe that's why NOM e-mails lately have been sounding so schizo and money hungry, maybe the beast really is being bled dry everybody *hopes*

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

I believe Jesus is "only" a prophet in Islam, not the Son of God.

People have gotten much more angry over much more minor differences in religious doctrine, so this is hardly surprising.

And that's why religion should have no bearing on public policy whatsoever. We've come full circle!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Epic High Five posted:

I love that there's so little actual actionable backlash to any of this stuff anymore that all big protests and shows of support have to be brought in by big groups pooling nutjobs from across the country. If this isn't done, then nothing happens at all to stop the march of progress. Maybe that's why NOM e-mails lately have been sounding so schizo and money hungry, maybe the beast really is being bled dry everybody *hopes*

"Of course they're desperate; they can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make rattling their cages will serve as a warning to the rest...Bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Keeshhound posted:

"Of course they're desperate; they can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make rattling their cages will serve as a warning to the rest...Bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future."

Always a good quote.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

"Why contain it? Its cool."

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Keeshhound posted:

"Old men, are the future."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
They opened a Chik-Fil-A in Lynnwood. Is that the bigots' embassy? :ohdear:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

SedanChair posted:

They opened a Chik-Fil-A in Lynnwood. Is that the bigots' embassy? :ohdear:

Basically yes. Old fogies give their money to a company run by an evil old fogie who also gives it to terrible organizations across the world.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

fspades posted:

Really original and insightful analysis there... based on things that never happened.

Well what the hell is so different about her latest denomination now that makes Baptist not christian in comparison? Is there a third echelon of believing in Jesus that the public at large isn't aware of anymore? Granted she's likely too lazy to take her own life if she ever found her way into prison, but what the hell is so different about her new faith that she's gotta be a crusader against gay marriage now? Was she always such a hateful, spoiled old bat or what?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 6, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crabtree posted:

Well what the hell is so different about her latest denomination now that makes Baptist not christian in comparison? Is there a third echelon of believing in Jesus that the public at large isn't aware of anymore? Granted she's likely too lazy to take her own life if she ever found her way into prison, but what the hell is so different about her new faith that she's gotta be a crusader against gay marriage now? Was she always such a hateful, spoiled old bat or what?

She just picked another sect, it's as simple as that. I wonder if her son even bothered to convert.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

silvergoose posted:

Always a good quote.

Except he's talking about the underclass dying in the streets there. The second sentence comes later in the conversation.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Kim Davis posted:

I can decide if I want to hate this person for being terrible or feeling sorry for her being an idiot.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Wellll, there has been a fair amount of backlash, especially at the state level, in the form of what's generally known as Religious Freedom Restoration Acts, which are generally passive/agressive legislation meant to allow discrimination against married gay couples, and gay people in general:

quote:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/2015-state-rfra-legislation.aspx
Seventeen states have introduced legislation this year regarding the creation of, or alteration to, a state religious freedom law. Currently, 21 states have Religious Freedom Restoration Acts (RFRAs).

Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas currently have a RFRA, but have introduced legislation this year to amend or supplement their law. Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming are looking to add a RFRA or similar law to their state's laws. Arkansas and Indiana have enacted legislation on this topic in 2015, and Mississippi passed legislation in 2014.

Here's a good non-comprehensive chart (.pdf). While a lot of these carry dumb and redundant "religious officials don't have to marry gay people" provisions, many of them allow discrimination against same-sex partners. So bigots aren't anywhere near done trying to gently caress over gay marriages.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Three Olives posted:

I can decide if I want to hate this person for being terrible or feeling sorry for her being an idiot.

I started counting all the misspellings but then I got bored.

"unwelding support"? :raise:

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I also notice that she initially forgot to capitalize the Bible.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Three Olives posted:

"This country was founded on Christian beliefs! Well, except for Virginia and the Carolinas. Those parts of America were founded on growing cash crops with slave labor."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
She also misspelled "disciples."

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
"Rosa Parks had it easy..."

Jesus Christ that makes my blood boil.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Okay, so we literally have multiple states that were founded when different kinds of Christians couldn't tolerate each others religious freedom, and the first change to our founding document said "no state religion". But still, stop oppressing Christians and obey our religious laws! It's what our country is founded on!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah that Rosa Parks had it easy quote doesn't make her sympathetic at all.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Eschers Basement posted:

To be fair to the illiterate garbage who produced that letter, Rose Parks did have it easy, whoever she was.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Eschers Basement posted:

Rose Parks. :pseudo:

Edit: Beaten but idgaf i looked too long for that emote to give up

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Also lmfao

"Please think of me in the same way Jesus told his people to think of him." (paraphrasing last line)

If that doesn't tell you the kind of self-delusion that these people put themselves through on a regular basis, I don't know what will.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Looks like people were setting up GoFundMe accounts and as expected the site shut them down.

WND was none to pleased

quote:

The left-leaning fundraising site GoFundMe has declined to accept a fundraising campaign for jailed Rowan County, Kentucky, clerk Kim Davis. Davis was jailed on Thursday for defying a federal court order to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples following the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges in June. She was ordered detained for contempt of court and later rejected a proposal to allow her deputies to process same-sex marriage licenses that could have prompted her release. She has become the symbol of religious opposition to the heavy-handed tactics of the gaystapo who are ramming same-sex marriage through at the federal level across the nation in opposition of religious conservatives. Supporters attempted to initiate a GoFundMe campaign for her defense, but were thwarted by the site’s Terms and Conditions, which were updated on April 29 to specify the site can choose not to allow “campaigns in defense of formal charges or claims of heinous crimes, violent, hateful, sexual or discriminatory acts.” These terms were updated in response to the massive support behind the bakery Sweet Cakes By Melissa, which declined to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple and were slapped with a $135,000 fine. A GoFundMe fundraiser raised over $109,000 within a few hours in support of the family before being abruptly shut down, possibly in response to the complaints of a competing bakery. GoFundMe has developed a reputation for punitively denying fundraising efforts for causes it deems contrary to its progressive agenda. As one website put it, “GoFundMe bans Christians from trying to help other Christians.”

http://www.wnd.com/2015/09/gofundme-nixes-fundraiser-for-kentucky-clerk/

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ahahahahaha, straight from the goddamn horse's mouth on the Rosa Parks comparisons.

"Let me, some crusty old white lady bigot, tell you how this oppressed black woman felt."

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Looks like people were setting up GoFundMe accounts and as expected the site shut them down.

WND was none to pleased

http://www.wnd.com/2015/09/gofundme-nixes-fundraiser-for-kentucky-clerk/

quote:

the gaystapo who are ramming same-sex marriage

:sissies:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I like to compare this whole situation to the movie Jacob's Ladder, where right before the man dies he sees the horrifying visions that inspired the creation of things like Silent Hill. It's like that, except with the death of a horrifying bigot's lovely excuse for culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Spite posted:

Except he's talking about the underclass dying in the streets there. The second sentence comes later in the conversation.

I'm appropriating it. :colbert:

• Locked thread