Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Nichael posted:

There's other spoilers too:

Apparently, you find Sandal's journal and you can fight Iron Bull.

Tresspasser is all about the Inquisition and how you want it to exist in future games. What happens to your companions after 2 years of no real war. A Qunari invasion to figure out. When asked about Solas and his part in this, they handwaved him off as being a light part of this DLC, and the focus will be on the Inquisition.

Solasintro and Solasfinale being the last cutscenes of the DLC make me think that's a load of horseshit. This better not be another Witch Hunt. I am actually super excited about the idea of tying up loose ends, and I'd hate for this DLC to be a masturbatory wank for the Solas romancers, but everyone else basically just gets sidelined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anyone else notice that Unbowed in the Vanguard tree has been replaced?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lotish posted:

Anyone else notice that Unbowed in the Vanguard tree has been replaced?

I wonder what all my masterwork chance to cast unbowed stuff will do now :ohdear:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well the base ability no longer gives Guard, but it does give a damage increase and a damage reduction, and then upgraded it adds 20% guard per enemy nearby. So upgraded the ability still gives the same amount of Guard it used to, plus other effects, but the base ability available in a masterwork material behaves differently.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lotish posted:

Also, there's items in that list that look like Weisshaupt? Perhaps we're going to use some portals to drop in on the Warden home base?

I'm hoping that's the case. Anderfels sounds like a fascinating location for future games.

Rookersh posted:

Tresspasser is all about the Inquisition and how you want it to exist in future games. What happens to your companions after 2 years of no real war. A Qunari invasion to figure out. When asked about Solas and his part in this, they handwaved him off as being a light part of this DLC, and the focus will be on the Inquisition.

Solasintro and Solasfinale being the last cutscenes of the DLC make me think that's a load of horseshit. This better not be another Witch Hunt. I am actually super excited about the idea of tying up loose ends, and I'd hate for this DLC to be a masturbatory wank for the Solas romancers, but everyone else basically just gets sidelined.

I am willing to bet that either though the DLC has a Solas focused introduction and ending, it'll have as many non-answers as Witch Hunt did. It won't be a masturbatory wank for Solas romancers; it'll be a masturbatory wank for Dragon Age 4. Hopefully, I'm wrong, and it won't be that much of a tease. I'll buy it regardless though because I am the problem with video game consumers, and buy all the story DLC, overpriced or not. At the very least, I can keep what little pride I have by not buying those cash grab weapon packs...

Also, how inevitable are the Buster Bluth/Inquistor mashups going to be after this DLC? I'm guessing pretty drat inevitable. "I'M A MONSTERRRR!"

Nichael fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 4, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Phone posting so can't link, but I read somewhere last night that either the patch or the DLC includes additional gameplay options you can turn on or off, such as level scaling, as well as "challenge mode" stuff, like limited inventory, no in-fight revivals and the like. And I guess Knight Enchanter got nerfed somewhat, but there's a new ability where you can save all your spirit blade hits up for one gigantic hit? I didn't think I had another play through in me, but I really want to take advantage of all these new things.

My internet has been down since Wednesday, so I won't be able to download the patch til it hopefully gets fixed later today. Can anyone confirm?

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 4, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

They've definitely tweaked some abilities, so that wouldn't surprise me if they modified Knight Enchanter, though I haven't looked.

As for challenge mode stuff like no in fight revives, I actually have had to do that a couple of times fighting these Avvar on Nightmare. The big hammer dudes can be pretty deadly if they outlevel you, the archers can DPS you down pretty well, and the shield guys are a pain in the butt when I just want to Whirlwind and they stop me dead. So that's probably not for me,

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nichael posted:

There's other spoilers too:

Apparently, you find Sandal's journal and you can fight Iron Bull.

I can't even imagine what the first would read like.

And man I should really start my new playthrough today. When is the DLC popping?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

And man I should really start my new playthrough today. When is the DLC popping?

Tuesday.

Do we have any indication of it's length yet? I know it's not a full expansion, but it seems like they're covering an awful lot of ground.

Edit: my internet is now fixed, and goddamn, that's a big patch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Looking at the patch notes and

quote:

Fixed an issue that could cause Cole’s legs to appear inside out when certain armor is equipped.

That must have been fun to see.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

quote:

Fixed an issue that caused the merchant in The Descent to purchase items from the player at a higher price than intended.

Aww. :(

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't know how accurate it is but I've been hearing rumors that once you finish Trespasser, you can't go back and play that save anymore. Until there's a confirm/deny on that one, be careful who you do the DLC with. I suspect this means the Inquisitor dies at the end

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I think maybe it's just that Trespasser is the end of the story and there won't be any need to come back with that character? I am absolutely not discounting that the Inquisitor might die, of course. Hell, having everyone's pc be dead would make it much easier for them to deal with back story in the next game.

Anyway, as for the Buster Bluth image, I can't help but notice that it's the female elf model. I kinda hope that romancing Solas isn't the only way to stay alive, my character apparently has a wedding and swimming to get to

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Reddit noticed that Warhorn's upgrade Seize the Day has been reworked, removing the cooldown on Warhorn with this additional change: "its effects grow more powerful the longer you wait between uses"

Someone else noticed Explosive Shot does more damage, and Shadow Strike no longer reduces cooldowns, but instead grants stamina. Someone else claims the animations for Artificer traps are now much faster.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sigh, this is like the fifth time a patch promises to fix stuck War Table operations, and I still can't get rid of Evading the Crows.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CuwiKhons posted:

I don't know how accurate it is but I've been hearing rumors that once you finish Trespasser, you can't go back and play that save anymore. Until there's a confirm/deny on that one, be careful who you do the DLC with. I suspect this means the Inquisitor dies at the end

That would be some NIER level metaplaying wouldn't it?

Also decided to download Inquisition again after not touching it for ages and gee that's a lot of game to download.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CuwiKhons posted:

Or maybe it's just their magic hand that goes away, and they retire.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How often, if ever, does the DLC for this game go on sale? I kinda wanna play it, but not at 15 bucks a pop.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

So I've encountered a frankly bizarre bug that I didn't even notice until today. All I have left to do is "Doom Upon All the World" and Blackwall is... well he's still Blackwall. He hasn't confessed yet. I've tried talking to him at Skyhold and he's still like "Yep I am definitely a Grey Warden, nothing suspicious here nosir." I am looooong past the point where that quest should have triggered and nothing I do now seems to make him inclined to do anything.

I guess I'm just gonna... beat the game with him like this??? :psyduck: I feel like this is gonna have weird consequences.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Do it and see what poo poo breaks, especially in Trespasser :haw:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Does anyone know what happens if you do Descent with Blackwall and his reveal hasn't happened yet? Does anyone ever call him out?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

As far as I can tell, it doesn't make a difference. Descent has very little companion stuff, and there doesn't seem to be anything different for a post-endgame save either.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

CuwiKhons posted:

So I've encountered a frankly bizarre bug that I didn't even notice until today. All I have left to do is "Doom Upon All the World" and Blackwall is... well he's still Blackwall. He hasn't confessed yet. I've tried talking to him at Skyhold and he's still like "Yep I am definitely a Grey Warden, nothing suspicious here nosir." I am looooong past the point where that quest should have triggered and nothing I do now seems to make him inclined to do anything.

I guess I'm just gonna... beat the game with him like this??? :psyduck: I feel like this is gonna have weird consequences.

Happened to me too, he probably doesn't like you enough. Did you finish his collectathon quest? After I picked up the last few bits he wanted, he opened up.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

eating only apples posted:

Happened to me too, he probably doesn't like you enough. Did you finish his collectathon quest? After I picked up the last few bits he wanted, he opened up.

Yeah, did that ages ago. Even brought him along for most of them. I don't know how he feels about me though, now that I think about it. I think offhand, he's probably disagreed with every major decision I've made :v:

I don't really like Blackwall so I don't spend a lot of time talking to him.

Although, I tell you what, this is the first playthrough where I've had any real levels of approval from Vivienne (not deliberately, I don't like her either but coincidentally most of my choices have been Vivienne Approved) and I'm seeing whole new cutscenes that I've never seen in all my hundreds of hours of play time.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 5, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

-Troika- posted:

How often, if ever, does the DLC for this game go on sale? I kinda wanna play it, but not at 15 bucks a pop.

Never, but if you are on PC, you can buy them on the Mexican/Russian store using a VPN for like $5 a piece.

EA also doesn't give a poo poo.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Rookersh posted:

Never, but if you are on PC, you can buy them on the Mexican/Russian store using a VPN for like $5 a piece.

EA also doesn't give a poo poo.

Jaws of Hakkon was on sale when Descent came out, at least on Origin. Went down to about $10.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

What if as he lays dying, his last words are horns up?

Actually that will be an option for the inquisitor's pre-battle taunt; just to twist the knife.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It sucks because I want to play an elf, but I can't. I have to have a beard and elves can't have them. The reason I need a beard is because every face I make seems to come out looking really stupid.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Be a chick, problem solved.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I was just doing Wicked Hearts again on another character, and I wanted to check something: Blackwall disapproves if you let Celene die but approves if you leave Gaspard in charge. There's really no way to arrange one without the other, right? Can't quite be sure I'm not missing something, but I'm pretty sure Gaspard has no chance so long as Celene lives.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lotish posted:

I was just doing Wicked Hearts again on another character, and I wanted to check something: Blackwall disapproves if you let Celene die but approves if you leave Gaspard in charge. There's really no way to arrange one without the other, right? Can't quite be sure I'm not missing something, but I'm pretty sure Gaspard has no chance so long as Celene lives.

That's correct. However, all three can share the power, which the ending reveals to be a bad idea

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

When do you guys recommend doing the two released DLCs?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I don't have Descent, but it apparently scales so you can do it when you choose. It'd be much harder to do Jaws of Hakkon very early--I went in with a level 18 or 19 inquisitor and some of the fights roughed me up pretty bad (the avvar don't gently caress around, especially as you go north, the spiders are a small but potent threat because they ignore barrier and guard with their long range poison attacks, and there is one very dangerous troll); I played it on Nightmare with some of the best equipment you can make. I'd say as soon as you can clear Emprise du Lion or Cradle of Sulevin (sp?), you can probably start Jaws of Hakkon. Bring crowd control because the most dangerous enemies IMO are immune to physical effects.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 6, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Descent scales so do it whenever. Jaws of Hakkon can be rough so either do it post game (the story actually makes more sense to do post-game in my opinion) or if you're going to lose your good characters post game (CASSANDRA) then do it just before.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
You don't have to lose Cass though, just go talk to her immediately post game and tell her you want her to stick around. They're supposedly making this work in Trespasser somehow so that if Viv or Cass are wearing a funny hat you can still take them along. Having the Divine with you murdering folks is pretty :black101:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Can someone describe the Knight-Enchanter nerf for me before I continue Jaws of Hakkon? The only way I make it through battles with any consistency without dealing with badly-implemented and boring tactical stuff is by spamming Spirit Blade

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Can someone describe the Knight-Enchanter nerf for me before I continue Jaws of Hakkon? The only way I make it through battles with any consistency without dealing with badly-implemented and boring tactical stuff is by spamming Spirit Blade

From what I could tell, it just takes fractionally longer to charge. You're still more or less invincible.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I think Spirit Blade does about half the damage it used to and now has this 'spirt blade charges' thing, were casting other spells or attacking with your staff build up charges that boost the spirit blade attack by an unspecified amount. Using spirit blade reduces the charges you have. There upgrade for the spell, you can now switch between the old one and a new one that boosts the rate you get charges but uses them all on the first spirit blade attack in exchange.
I have no real feel yet for numbers of the change

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Lotish posted:

I don't have Descent, but it apparently scales so you can do it when you choose. It'd be much harder to do Jaws of Hakkon very early--I went in with a level 18 or 19 inquisitor and some of the fights roughed me up pretty bad (the avvar don't gently caress around, especially as you go north, the spiders are a small but potent threat because they ignore barrier and guard with their long range poison attacks, and there is one very dangerous troll); I played it on Nightmare with some of the best equipment you can make. I'd say as soon as you can clear Emprise du Lion or Cradle of Sulevin (sp?), you can probably start Jaws of Hakkon. Bring crowd control because the most dangerous enemies IMO are immune to physical effects.

Can I do both of them post game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Okay, that's not terrible. Thanks for the insight, you two.

• Locked thread