Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, let's see how long this one lasts..

http://imgur.com/a/21qAC

OnePunchMan Young Jump Special 2015!

Saitama learns a lesson about fishing.. Speed of Sound Sonic.. and the last of a people thought to be defeated!

SOSS is starting to look like Wile E. Coyote at this point..

For anybody who missed it at the page break..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 3, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Binary Badger posted:

SOSS is starting to look like Wile E. Coyote at this point..
He's been that since he and Saitama first crossed paths.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

For anybody who missed it at the page break..

one month one punch

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lol.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Why does he keep hittin' me in the dick?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
:siren: Anime starts Oct 4 :siren:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Saitama would be the one to get an anime on the 25th hour of the day. :allears:

So anyways, that means it's a past-midnight anime, so we should expect hardcore stuff due to the timeslot? like, not as gruesome as some of the manga punches, but some pretty loving metal punches?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

all anime pretty much airs past midnight, i wouldn't read anything into it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that said this isn't even a gory manga so i'm not sure why you think it'd be toned down or whatever

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

that said this isn't even a gory manga so i'm not sure why you think it'd be toned down or whatever

That depends on your definition of gory.

I mean, it doesn't bother me personally, but I think there are definitely some people in this world that might see exploding flesh and eyeballs flying out of mangled corpses as at least marginally gory.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I mean, it doesn't bother me personally, but I think there are definitely some people in this world that might see exploding flesh and eyeballs flying out of mangled corpses as at least marginally gory.

At least it's not Gantz.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

At least it's not Gantz.

A good thing to help you appreciate most things in life.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's a weird thing to say, but Murata does seem to draw gore more cleanly than other works I've seen. I can still definitely see it as being designated mature or 18+ or R or whatever rating system is used, but it seems less indulgent and more... I dunno, frank with the gore, I guess?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's over the top and practiced almost exclusively against inhuman targets. It lacks entirely the unsettling reality of actual grievous injury.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's not just that though. Pretty much every time a head explodes, it stays in one part of the panel, rather than being the centerpiece of it. You don't get full page splash panels of viscera splattering in all directions like gantz or berserk.

I mean, compare that shark monster's head popping to a typical Fist of the North Star head explosion (spoiled because eugh):

I'd argue there's more to it than just "who" it's happening to.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 5, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I went kinda "woah" when he used his tie to rip out that one monster's eye, but I am also a giant baby.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Terper posted:

I went kinda "woah" when he used his tie to rip out that one monster's eye, but I am also a giant baby.

That was also the best K.O. ever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just used gore for a lack of a better word, it's not as bad as anything else, but y'know, I figure they might do away with doing a 1:1 with punches that explode heads and send eyeballs flying off.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

I'd argue there's more to it than just "who" it's happening to.
I'm not saying that's the only reason, though if all you got out of that was "They're inhuman so it's different" then I think you misunderstood me.

The fact is we tend to contextualize the unreal through its resemblance to the real, or at least what we imagine the real to be. Let's say I'm watching an action movie where the good guy and the bad guy are fighting. The good guy has a lighter, the bad guy has a bunch of dynamite strapped to his belt (for one nefarious purpose or another). They fight, they tussle, the bad guy throws the good guy down and pulls out his gun. The bad guy smiles. So does the good guy. The bad guy doesn't get it. Then he hears a sound. He looks down and we the audience see that the good guy lit one of the bad guy's sticks of dynamite at some point during their battle. The fuse is almost finished. The bad guys looks up with a comical expression on his face just in time to see that the good guy has rolled away while he was distracted. The dynamite ignites and the bad guy blows up. Nothing is left but his smoldering boots.

A man just died, blown to smithereens (which is an awful way to die), but we're probably not bothered by it because the whole thing plays out pretty much like a cartoon. The theatrical setup, the darkly comical tone, the fact that the bad guy pretty much evaporates. These are all things which serve to make the violence we are witnessing "Unreal" such that it doesn't bother us. It probably bothers us even less if, throughout the course of the movie, the bad guy has shown himself to be a complete dick with no redeeming qualities. Real human beings are of course complex creatures, but within the theatrical universe of an action narrative it is entirely possibly for someone to be one-dimensionally good or evil, which further removes us from reality. Maybe at the start of the film the bad guy lit one of those sticks of dynamite and stuck it in some poor person's pocket while they were tied up and watched them die while laughing evilly. Now coming round to the end we've got this sense of cyclical, karmic justice which is also one step removed from reality.

But let's say, instead, that the dynamite explodes and leaves him. Now the audience is very uncomfortable because his death has been brought closer to what we expect real life violence inflicted on real life people to be. Even if the violence itself is ridiculous a la Fist of the North Star, that the effects of it are grounded in even a loose sense of reality can make it uncomfortable.

The monsters Saitama fights don't exist in the real world. They are largely inhuman with inhuman biology. We have no basis for them, so it is more difficult for us to relate with or process their hypothetical suffering. What's more, pretty much all of them are pitch black, pure evil. Many of them are also obscenely petty. What's more more, Saitama just tears through them like tissue paper. That shark guy Cipher Pol 9 posted explodes like a bloody water balloon. There's the eyeball I guess if you wanna fixate on a grizzly detail, but the rest of the scene is so far removed from reality that it doesn't register in the same way as, say, Saitama snapping a man's arm and seeing the bone and sinew jut out just like our own arms eeewww.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

episode 1 is pre-airing on lovely (nico) streaming right now so a bad quality raw will probably show up. it looks pretty good.

edit: it looks incredible

aers fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 6, 2015

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PV 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzmFKUDOUgw

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Flashy Flash (:lol:)

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:neckbeard:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I'm so loving pumped for that now. Everything looks great. I love how the action is so fluid and fast. Although I didn't recognize some of those heros. Who is Drive Knight and Flashy Flash?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AgentHaiTo posted:

I'm so loving pumped for that now. Everything looks great. I love how the action is so fluid and fast. Although I didn't recognize some of those heros. Who is Drive Knight and Flashy Flash?

Flashy Flash is Lightspeed Flash: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/onepunch_man/c029/17.html

Drive Knight is this dude, I think he warned Genos about Metal Knight: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/onepunch_man/c029/18.html

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Has Pig God shown up in the redraw yet?

AgentHaiTo posted:

They've only had brief appearances in the redraw. It might just be showing them because hey, they're all the S-Class people, or it might be a sign the anime plans to go further than where Murata is at in the story?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 6, 2015

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Wait, Watchdog Man has lines?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
:siren:Heads up, a friend just let me know episode 1 is out in the wild now, unsubbed:siren:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 6, 2015

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Flashy Flash is Lightspeed Flash: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/onepunch_man/c029/17.html

Drive Knight is this dude, I think he warned Genos about Metal Knight: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/onepunch_man/c029/18.html

I totally missed this Watchdog Man joke the first time:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think this will be just fine for gore you guys

Just fine

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For the people who cared about the anime being censored - the "explosions" are slightly more subdued with the gore covering a smaller part of the panel, the animations are a bit more exaggerated than you'd imagine, which isn't bad considering the change in the medium. The eye pulling scene in particular is super exaggerated which goes in line with what someone said about making it so surreal you can't feel gross about it, but it's way better than just removing the scene altogether. There's blood here and there, one of the enemies explode in a shitload of blood when punched. Most scenes are very 1 to 1 with the manga overall, and there's a clear attention to the combat animation.

Y'all be fine.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Holy moly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That's some dreamy animation.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Who's doing the animation for the anime again? That style looks familiar.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Who's doing the animation for the anime again? That style looks familiar.

Madhouse

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Madhouse are doing the anime, but that scene's style reminds me way more of Gurren Lagann than anything I've seen by Madhouse.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All of Japan has come together to bring us this.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dragonatrix posted:

Madhouse are doing the anime, but that scene's style reminds me way more of Gurren Lagann than anything I've seen by Madhouse.

The bloodspray was pretty Madhouse, but yeah, I was thinking the movement looked a lot like what Gainax did for Gurren Lagann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Japan has been an experiment into human computers, with the goal of eventually creating Onepunch-Man