Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Just successfully added a Kaboomer to my car collection. Good thing that bugger is so fast because driving through enemy territory in a bomb on wheels with buzzards hot on your tail, and no ammo, is not something I'd recommend for the faint hearted.

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the best way to find minefields? They don't seem to show up from balloons, and driving around aimlessly in the buggy is unreliable.

The dog can sense minefields from a pretty good distance, Minefields also seem to be close to roads and intersections, so if you got the time and the patience, plot up some patrol routes along the roads. Also keep a lookout for areas that are full of rusty old car wrecks since that usually signifies a minefield.

(Failing that, just google it like i do, seems like people are already putting out pretty useful guides now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Just FYI the sweet FX link in the OP doesn't work anymore.

krillin from Dragonball
Aug 8, 2013
I've been having a blast with this game so far, but I'm worried that I've missed out on a mission. I've just finished "All is lost forever" and there is still "A shot in the dark" needed to unlock one of the lift kits. Was that a mission that (endgame spoilers) Hope gives before she is killed? Am I screwed?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The minefields all have blown up cars with tracks leading to them.

Chum will actually also tell you when you're near a minefield, he'll warn you about it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
A quick search seems to indicate that a GTX 560ti with 1 GB of VRAM should run this pretty acceptably, even though it's below minimum spec. Anyone here have that card? I should be OK on all other requirements (8GB RAM, i5 2500K). Just unsure if the card will be up to snuff, and I wasn't planning to upgrade for another 6 months or so. I'd like to run it at 1920x1200 if possible, and have it look decent.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Here is a guide with all the area POIs including minefields: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=513462342

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I hate whoever designed some of these camps where the last bit of scrap is somewhere completely hidden. I've got several camps that are almost 100% looted.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Got the game plus the ripper dlc for $19 on G2A. Downloading it now and have a quick question. Will my wired 360 controller behave just fine or do I need to find a micro USB and use my XBone controller?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bum the Sad posted:

Got the game plus the ripper dlc for $19 on G2A. Downloading it now and have a quick question. Will my wired 360 controller behave just fine or do I need to find a micro USB and use my XBone controller?

It works flawlessly and seamlessly alongside KB/M.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
More Sad Max:

:smith:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Halman posted:

Just FYI the sweet FX link in the OP doesn't work anymore.
I made some adjustments to the eye-searing brightness issues, and the OP hasn't been edited to reflect that yet. You can get the improved SweetFx package here:

Joe Gillian posted:

I uploaded the new package. I recommend turning the gamma down to 30 at the highest to compensate for the brilliance of the white hot sands and the sun in the Great White. Set your gamma to like 30 or lower so you don't burn your eyes.

Can this be replaced in the OP?

Edit: Also yeah, I'm going to see if I can do something about the brightness one last time. I wish the game had brightness settings. Final attempt added. I think I found a decent middleground, as I used Great White as a template for the highest amount lighting in the game.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

SplitSoul posted:

It works flawlessly and seamlessly alongside KB/M.

Awesome. Didn't know if games had moved to only being Xbone friendly.

Edit: also holy poo poo. Splitsoul. That's a name I haven't seen in a long time.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Are the Dual Groovies the best overall tires? The tires above them all increase the "handling" bar but claim to be specific to either sand or asphalt.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

JFC posted:

I got genuinely creeped-out this morning venturing into the church. I normally listen to music when I play, but my playlist had ended just as I went in, so it was just me and my headphones and all the sounds down there. Spooky.

They did a really good job with the atmosphere in the game.The wide open areas in the early part of the game give a sense that you are vulnerable because you are highly visible to enemies from far away. Then you transition to canyons and hills that have surprises around every corner. Later you see more familiar signs of the former world like highway signs and old gas stations giving a feeling of loss. But the topper is as you get closer and closer to Gastown. The oppressive white and heat of the open desert feels liberating compared to the black sky with oil polluted land, giving an increasing feeling of dread. It's really feels like you are journeying to Mt. Doom.
Gastown is a modern Mordor. Tolkien make it as an industrial revolution type of place, this is a post internal combustion mordor.

Remember the whole Nobody goes to Ravenholm from Half Life 2?
It should be Nobody goes to Underdome.

That place is hosed up and so cool. Game has the best environments, indoor and outdoor.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Joe Gillian posted:

I made some adjustments to the eye-searing brightness issues, and the OP hasn't been edited to reflect that yet. You can get the improved SweetFx package here:

i moved it further up the OP so it would get more coverage. It's just the one link, right? let me know if it needs to be changed.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Songbearer posted:

More Sad Max:

:smith:

My experience so far with SAD MAX is: Play for a couple hours, get overwhelmed by crushing sadness, turn off game and go hug my kids forever, rinse, repeat. That's the sign of good world building right there.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Anybody else get temporary but bad stuttering around convoy chases, especially at the beginning? On PS4.

I get some really bad stuttering on my PS4 as well, to the point I wish I bought it in PC instead. Although most seem to happen around areas of heavy particles and lighting changes.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
My trimmed down ride for a race:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Big spoiler of a cool thing in that set but I'm not even mad, it's awesome. Something to look forward to :D

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Are the Dual Groovies the best overall tires? The tires above them all increase the "handling" bar but claim to be specific to either sand or asphalt.

The two last tires are definitely much better in their respective environments, ignore the dumb % thing because it doesn't seem to reflect reality very well for any of the car parts. Also, asphalt = any road and sand = any off=road, just to further confuse things.

I just keep the asphalt tires on because roads are where the most finicky handling needs to happen and most of the time off-road maneuvering is either just travelling, in which case handling isn't necessary, or it's trying to get back onto the road because the enemy AI really doesn't seem to like off-roading it. That and if it's not a mostly flat area any kind of handling is just hosed anyway because of the inherent wonkiness of the Havok physics.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

JFC posted:

I got genuinely creeped-out this morning venturing into the church. I normally listen to music when I play, but my playlist had ended just as I went in, so it was just me and my headphones and all the sounds down there. Spooky.

Last night I figured I'd do more of the story. Surely it's just poking around out in the dunes, no biggie. I'll strip some armor and put on the off road tires, go dune blasting! :buddy:

No it's going into the loving Underdunes at 4AM :gonk:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

i moved it further up the OP so it would get more coverage. It's just the one link, right? let me know if it needs to be changed.

That works just fine. Thanks!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Holy poo poo. I completely forgot about the coin thing. Max just got super buffed in one fell swoop

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
With Griffa tokens, it seems like some upgrades are good, while others are far less useful (vs having all options be equally good thus allowing you to either be really average or really specialized into a particular task).

-Reduced fuel consumption doesn't seem all that great. I've NEVER run out of gas. In fact I haven't even gone down to half a tank. There are so many fuel cans around to top off running out of gas never seems to be a problem.

-Extra ammo doesn't seem to proc very often. RARELY I'll get an extra shotgun shell out of it. I'm hoping its more useful late game, where your ammo capacity gets bigger.

Other than that, I always take +1 Legend level any chance I get, since it speeds up getting more useful upgrades (health, extra water).

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Panfilo posted:

With Griffa tokens, it seems like some upgrades are good, while others are far less useful (vs having all options be equally good thus allowing you to either be really average or really specialized into a particular task).

They feel like a real shoe in and I resent the way they are presented. It just doesn't make sense in that world.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you aren't using the SweetFX plugin you are playing the game wrong - let it be known.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

midge posted:

They feel like a real shoe in and I resent the way they are presented. It just doesn't make sense in that world.

I'd replace some of the less useful tokens with:

-Better ability to fight off boarders (maybe mash a button when they jump on your car or something)
-Faster pickup time to make it easier to grab weapons in the middle of a melee
-etc

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Panfilo posted:

I'd replace some of the less useful tokens with:

-Better ability to fight off boarders (maybe mash a button when they jump on your car or something)

This exists, jink left and right at high speed with X

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Joe Gillian posted:

When you take a screenshot with Steam, does it see the filters? I know in previous games I've used it on, Steam just ignores all the sweet fx filters and the screenies end up looking like poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
What does fully upgrading the stockpile do?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Panfilo posted:

What does fully upgrading the stockpile do?

Nothing really - it's necessary to fully upgrade a stronghold visually and it counts towards achievements

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Ledenko posted:

Nothing really - it's necessary to fully upgrade a stronghold visually and it counts towards achievements

Wow what a waste of 1500 scrap :mad:

I think the generators to power the balloons are bugged- I can't seem to get the gas can to refuel any of them! Why won't it let me press F to refuel?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Wow what a waste of 1500 scrap :mad:

I think the generators to power the balloons are bugged- I can't seem to get the gas can to refuel any of them! Why won't it let me press F to refuel?

You need to refuel the tank on the balloon's basket :v:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Refuel the balloon itself.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

When you take a screenshot with Steam, does it see the filters? I know in previous games I've used it on, Steam just ignores all the sweet fx filters and the screenies end up looking like poo poo.

It's the same story here, unfortunately. I've been using PrntScrn + Paint for screenshots.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Panfilo posted:

-Reduced fuel consumption doesn't seem all that great. I've NEVER run out of gas. In fact I haven't even gone down to half a tank. There are so many fuel cans around to top off running out of gas never seems to be a problem.

-Extra ammo doesn't seem to proc very often. RARELY I'll get an extra shotgun shell out of it. I'm hoping its more useful late game, where your ammo capacity gets bigger.

Other than that, I always take +1 Legend level any chance I get, since it speeds up getting more useful upgrades (health, extra water).

The worst thing is that the side burners on the Opus use fuel, and if you're like me and like vomiting flames all over everything indescriminately, they use it fast. Upgrading fuel consumption does nothing to decrease the usage. It's awful.

A few seconds of burning will leave your vehicle creaking, but man is it fun to wipe out an entire bus full of boarders or flame a whole combat encounter before entering a fort.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Got in a convoy battle earlier today and a storm rolled in - real nasty one, lightning strikes like crazy. Storm killed half the convoy before it killed me, so I count that as a victory. Also having to get out of a nearly dead Opus in the middle of a storm is a hell of a tense moment.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Daztek posted:

You need to refuel the tank on the balloon's basket :v:

Oh, duh! I guess I got confused because the generator looks like it has a fuel tank with a funnel right there, as though that's where the fuel goes.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Panfilo posted:

Oh, duh! I guess I got confused because the generator looks like it has a fuel tank with a funnel right there, as though that's where the fuel goes.

For the record, on some balloon camps you do have to refuel the generator to lower the balloon so you can get in. So there is a purpose for that funnel, those camps just aren't as common :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

https://youtu.be/1naJhzFWRcY

Whelp..:stare:

I ain't even mad.

• Locked thread