Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Technocrat posted:

I just figured out that you can upload your own mp3 music in MGSV. Not only does this mean that you can play it on the tape player, but blaring on the helicopter's speakers as it comes in to land, or goes on an attack run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4qS2VbPO6k

Oh my god :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
I don't usually get into Early Access games or Alpha and Beta state things, I buy em if they look really good and kinda check on them every month or so until they're done enough to play and enjoy.

I found a game last Friday and I can't stop playing. It's in Alpha 0.11 and good god drat. Stonehearth is like the Dwarf Fortress I've always wanted. Voxel graphics, full 3D, good camera control, easy UI. The errors I get (it IS in Alpha) are easily worked around and I only crashed the game out once trying something stupid just to see if it worked.
Anyway, the little thing is this and maybe its more common then I think but: The CEO of the company (it's 6 people now, up from 2 when the kickstarter exploded) does live streams 3 times a week of WORKING ON THE GAME. Last night I watched my first and I got to see him make and color and try out all kinds of new objects and recipes. He answered questions, he made jokes, he generated excitement without trying to sell us on it.
It's the first game I've ever had that made me look forward to what's coming next since Minecraft was updating frequently. I didn't realize how much I missed having something fun to look forward to.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Technocrat posted:

I just figured out that you can upload your own mp3 music in MGSV. Not only does this mean that you can play it on the tape player, but blaring on the helicopter's speakers as it comes in to land, or goes on an attack run:

diamond dogs is all about being a military without borders and wouldn't be prideful of being from one country over another :goonsay:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGjkKyElp3w

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Between things like being able to paint your combat helicopter gold and have it blare 80s songs or paint it and your base pink and fulton everything that's not scenery, I don't like saying it but Saints Row had better step up its game if they're doing another one.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
MGSV might become the first game I've paid full price for in well over a year.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've never been a big metal gear fan but wound up getting the game as an early birthday gift(bless my parents for having little knowledge of games and just asking the clerk what's good) and I can safely say I was very surprised at how it is, I expected more crap like MGS4 but nope, its entirely different and real loving good, the freedom I have is ridiculous and I am going to lose hours upon hours on managing mother base among other things, I even bought the guide for it, my first guide purchase in years cause of the sheer scope of it and drat there's so much poo poo to find and discover.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Mad Max, if you enter your car from the left side too many times, Chum starts giving you a hard time for not knowing which side the steering wheel is on :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

It is kind of silly that some camps have insignia you can only reach with the gun, but no ammo in them at all though.

Gas cans and boomsticks, my friend.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The one I did when I made that post actually didn't have any of those either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In MGSV they made sure to let you know that you aren't just leaving D-Horse out there whenever you leave the mission area. If the camera is pointed at him when the helicopter flies away you can see a Fulton balloon go off and he takes off into the sky.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was very worried about the companions but apparently if they "die" they simply get extracted and can't be used for a period till they heal makes me WAY calmer about using D-dog. :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this? posted:

In MGSV they made sure to let you know that you aren't just leaving D-Horse out there whenever you leave the mission area. If the camera is pointed at him when the helicopter flies away you can see a Fulton balloon go off and he takes off into the sky.

They'll also Fulton out when you swap Buddies in the field.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Technocrat posted:

Awesome. I wish I could play this game at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGKA_3JXfU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Sub-Actuality posted:

In Mad Max, if you enter your car from the left side too many times, Chum starts giving you a hard time for not knowing which side the steering wheel is on :allears:

How is that by the way? I'm hearing mixed things.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
To upload mp3s you just stick em on a flash drive?

I must know.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

OldTennisCourt posted:

I wasn't expecting much and got it on the cheap, but I'm 13 hours in and am really liking it. It's like a post-apocalyptic Sleeping Dogs; lots of car combat, Batman-esque fighting, and collecting stuff-- so much collecting.

If you like crashing cars, punching guys, pretty graphics, and collecting/destroying stuff until you clear "100%" of an area (think Just Cause 2), then give it a shot.

A little thing I've really enjoyed is the minor details that come with car customization. When you upgrade your engine, it has a different air filter, and noticeably sounds different.

Arstan has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Sep 5, 2015

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

OldTennisCourt posted:

ShootaBoy posted:

Speaking of witnessing, I tossed a War Boy over the edge of a camp built on a cliffside, and he screamed, "Witness me!" as he fell. I thought it was a nice touch until the guys left standing all yelled, "WITNESS!" in response... execept for the one guy that shouted, "My Warbuddy!" in the most hurt sounding tone.

But seriously it's a fun not-quite Just Cause 2/Far Cry/Arkham game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samfucius posted:

To upload mp3s you just stick em on a flash drive?

I must know.

Custom music is PC only and you just toss them in the install directory in a specific folder.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Alteisen posted:

I was very worried about the companions but apparently if they "die" they simply get extracted and can't be used for a period till they heal makes me WAY calmer about using D-dog. :unsmith:

D-Horse is one tough motherfucker. Dude got shot by tanks at least three times, collapsed, and got up and kept sprinting every single time. A true soldier.

Another MGSV thing: You got D-Dog, a dog buddy who scouts and marks out enemies and animals and stuff for you. Marking an enemy is accompanied by a soft, cartoony "pop".

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
When you get other buddies, the same sound effect happens. It's always a really nice feeling when it happens, too.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Arx Monolith posted:

I don't usually get into Early Access games or Alpha and Beta state things, I buy em if they look really good and kinda check on them every month or so until they're done enough to play and enjoy.

I found a game last Friday and I can't stop playing. It's in Alpha 0.11 and good god drat. Stonehearth is like the Dwarf Fortress I've always wanted. Voxel graphics, full 3D, good camera control, easy UI. The errors I get (it IS in Alpha) are easily worked around and I only crashed the game out once trying something stupid just to see if it worked.
Anyway, the little thing is this and maybe its more common then I think but: The CEO of the company (it's 6 people now, up from 2 when the kickstarter exploded) does live streams 3 times a week of WORKING ON THE GAME. Last night I watched my first and I got to see him make and color and try out all kinds of new objects and recipes. He answered questions, he made jokes, he generated excitement without trying to sell us on it.
It's the first game I've ever had that made me look forward to what's coming next since Minecraft was updating frequently. I didn't realize how much I missed having something fun to look forward to.

This looks ace, straight on my wishlist.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Those custom music vids from MGSV are great, I had a fantastic experience that I sadly didn't record. A prisoner extraction went sideways halfway through, so I popped smoke and legged it for a jeep.

Helicopter came in blaring AC/DCs "Thunderstruck", mowed down a bunch of guys, then as if on a scripted cue, spun around to face a small group of soldiers firing on it from behind cover as the lyrics went "You've been..."

There is a pause in the music...

Thunderstruck!"

And the chopper fires a salvo of missiles at the group, obliterating them as the music goes nuts.

To top it off, my hectic getaway driving was assisted by the chopper following and blasting evreything the whole time, and through sheer providence, I finished the mission, boarded the helicopter and Big Boss closed the door and finished the mission just as the track was finishing the last note.

It could not have been scripted better. This loving game.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I spent a good amount of time deciding between pc and ps4 for mgs5. I chose ps4 because I wanted to use my big TV and surround sound, but had I known about the custom soundtrack stuff I would have chosen pc instantly.

I am genuinely bummed :(

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I've never played a Metal gear game, extra for the NES one, and not for very long. But....goddamn you guys are making a VERY convincing argument for MGSPP

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Here's my Metal Gear story. I had just finished my mission in an enemy base, and had been spotted so I needed to get away. I grabbed a jeep I had spotted earlier and drove out with a few enemies in pursuit. It started raining and I thought "great, this will help cover my escape", but then I started losing control of the vehicle on the wet dirt road. I went up on two wheels, skidded over to the side an hit a utility pole. It got knocked over, and then the powerlines fell onto me an electrecuted me.

I was surprised the game bothered simulating any of those things. Someone needs to do an assassination mission by dropping power lines on the target.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
One of my recruits was assigned the name Hungry Hippo.

Game of the Year.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alteisen posted:

I've never been a big metal gear fan but wound up getting the game as an early birthday gift(bless my parents for having little knowledge of games and just asking the clerk what's good) and I can safely say I was very surprised at how it is, I expected more crap like MGS4 but nope, its entirely different and real loving good, the freedom I have is ridiculous and I am going to lose hours upon hours on managing mother base among other things, I even bought the guide for it, my first guide purchase in years cause of the sheer scope of it and drat there's so much poo poo to find and discover.
Is it anything like MGS3/MGS4 in terms of its control scheme? Because the reason why I gave up on MGS was because of the CQC system that I could never figure out (and the touch-sensitive controls that usually resulted in killing a guard instead of putting him to sleep). I figured that I've just become too old for games with a learning curve and dropped out of the MGS series because of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CQC in 5 is hold to choke, tap quickly for a combo, or press while tilting the stick for a throw to the ground.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aphrodite posted:

CQC in 5 is hold to choke, tap quickly for a combo, or press while tilting the stick for a throw to the ground.

Just sprint at someone then tap R2 to grab and smash them into the ground quickly and quietly. You can also end the quick-tap combo with L2 to grab their gun and stick'em up with it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You can equip up to four arms in MGSV. Two primary arms (stuff like rifles, shotguns, and rocket launchers) and two secondary arms, one of which is handguns or SMGs.
The other secondary arm is your bionic roboarm.
Your default bionic roboarm has this attack wherein if you're sprinting and hit the attack button, you'll do a running punch attack which instantly floors any type of soldier or animal.
Said punch is accompanied by the Six Million Dollar Man sound effect, you know the one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

You can equip up to four arms in MGSV. Two "primary" arms (stuff like rifles, shotguns, and rocket launchers) and two secondary arms, one of which is handguns or SMGs.
The other secondary arm is your bionic roboarm.
Your default bionic roboarm has this attack wherein if you're sprinting and hit the attack button, you'll do a running punch attack which instantly floors any type of soldier or animal.
Said punch is accompanied by the Six Million Dollar Man sound effect, you know the one.

It'll also make that sound when you use the Sonar. Incidentally, one of the equippable Bionic Arms is a literal Rocket Punch. You aim, fire, and then guide it remotely into someone's face to stun them :allears:.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm not sure, but I think guards in Phantom Pain notice if you take the cassette tape their radios are playing. I haven't seen anything directly call attention to it yet, but I have seen guards gravitate to where the music was coming from.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

As well as that when you choke someone you get a little context menu to interrogate, knock out or kill, which instantly sold me on the system after avoiding it in MGS3 and 4 like the plague.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Johnny Aztec posted:

I've never played a Metal gear game, extra for the NES one, and not for very long. But....goddamn you guys are making a VERY convincing argument for MGSPP

I thought the incessant dick sucking was ridiculous, but MGS5 is a genuinely enjoyable game and has definitely earned its acclaim..

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

CQC in 3 was hilarious. I always ended up accidentally slitting throats while trying to interrogate people. It was very sensitive.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I beat MG3 with ought knowing that sneaking was done on the D-pad :(

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Inzombiac posted:

I beat MG3 with ought knowing that sneaking was done on the D-pad :(

I did this my first playthrough too, you barely have to eat anything to keep your stamina up.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I got it on computer all sneaking is done on the D-pad :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Custom music is PC only and you just toss them in the install directory in a specific folder.

Actually it's all versions but PS4 (because Sony were banking on their music streaming service and didn't allow locally stored MP3s until recently.)