Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kinetica posted:

I just got a cleveland, should I ever use AP (against cruisers) or should I always stick with HE since the chance of a fire is so high?

I got a Devastating Strike with AP on an Aoba at close range with it. Generally, whenever a Phoenix or Omaha would've used AP, use it in the Cleveland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Is there a thread for hilarious US military fuckups, like pretty much every new ship and plane they try to introduce?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

ranbo das posted:

Is there a thread for hilarious US military fuckups, like pretty much every new ship and plane they try to introduce?

Here's the F-35 thread in GBS, it's more or less what you're looking for.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

guidoanselmi posted:

IJN Cruiser line: adv fire training for AA/secondaries or HE fire skill?

I would take Advanced Firing Training. The 25 mm AA guns are actually pretty good with the range increase, not to mention the DP guns.
Increased HE fire chance won't make much difference on the 8" cruisers, if you're playing them correctly, and on the other cruisers the range increase affects your main guns.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
drat i feel like i am such low tiered with my max of 5, there's rarely people who want to platoon around my tiers rip.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Actually, that's a good question. What's the minimum teir the VOIP crowd would play at, generally?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

DiHK posted:

Actually, that's a good question. What's the minimum teir the VOIP crowd would play at, generally?

5, generally. Not everyone keeps a T4 after they get past that tier, but T5 has the Murmansk and Minekaze, along with the Marblehead soon.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
About the only Tier 3 anyone keeps is the St. Louis. After that, I'd definitely say the floor is Tier 5. I'm half-way to AFT on my St. Louis captain. Being able to out-range any other St. Louis by 2.1km or so is gonna be laffo :sureboat:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Oh god the credit grind is 10 times worse than just XP grinding, its getting to me. I cant advance in any line because I have absolutely no credits after buying the Montana. Bouncing back and forth between the Mumansk and Furutaka and soon I'll be able to unlocked the Aoba which I cant really afford along with the New Orleans and Independence. I also still havent even fully outfitted the Montana, still have 3-5 million to go to finish outfiting it depending on if I want to get the target acquisition mod or not.

In order of want:
New Orleans: 8.9 million
Aoba: 2.8 million
Independence: 3.4 million
Total: 15.1 million just for base not even taking into account mods for each ship which will probably be another 5+ million for all 3 ships.

Murmansk is ok and all but I really want a BB premium that isnt going to cost me $40+ Dear wargaming how about hooking me up with a Tirpitz pretty please? The price of premium ships is really turning me off on buying one.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 6, 2015

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

http://gfycat.com/ImpishVacantBengaltiger :stare:

I think I'm starting to come around to the New York. Had a round with 119k damage and 5 kills.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

http://gfycat.com/ImpishVacantBengaltiger :stare:

I think I'm starting to come around to the New York. Had a round with 119k damage and 5 kills.

New York is a drat good boat, it's just kind of outshone by the New Mexico which is a loving murder beast. Kinda like the Omaha and the Cleveland really.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Kinetica posted:

I just got a cleveland, should I ever use AP (against cruisers) or should I always stick with HE since the chance of a fire is so high?

HE everything apart from the sides of cruisers, those you AP

Unless you need the guiding hand of RNJesus, then use AP at the front/back of a cruiser

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Pensacola.jpg :smith:

After 22 games in the Pensacola, I have the feeling it's pretty good ship, as long as there is absolutely nobody shooting at you. One salvo from any BB does 15-20k damage 80% of the time. The thing is one massive floating citadel with no armor.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Kerrow posted:

Pensacola.jpg :smith:

After 22 games in the Pensacola, I have the feeling it's pretty good ship, as long as there is absolutely nobody shooting at you. One salvo from any BB does 15-20k damage 80% of the time. The thing is one massive floating citadel with no armor.

I'm okay with it now, since I'm in an Aoba and a Cleveland :getin:

Although I bet I'll regret those words soon enough

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

This is the EU server in a nutshell. Tried to tell them that the circles on the map are kind of important but they all just sat at D until we lost.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
North America server is the same way, except NA pubbies love going towards A on North without ever actually entering the circle.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Wow the pensacola is a real piece of poo poo, does the US line keep the light armor trend? The Myoko on the other hand is amazing, it's a pocket battleship and I love it!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Final battle with the Wyoming was pretty good:

Although, just to spoil it I noticed I had a mission to destroy 8 planes in a battle right after this :argh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, the Mutsuki is a right pile of floating poop when you first unlock it. It's like an american destroyer without any of the things that makes american destroyers actually good.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
After the patch you can now see the effects of upgrades and skills on ship stats in port.

I checked the effect of the Gun Fire Control System Modification 1 (main gun accuracy) upgrade :siren: on the Nagato: it takes max dispersion (20.5km range) from 231m to 215m.

I.e. a shell spread decrease of 7%.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 6, 2015

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

El_Molestadore posted:

This is the EU server in a nutshell. Tried to tell them that the circles on the map are kind of important but they all just sat at D until we lost.

Yup enjoying the same thing, would love to team up with some salty euro goons for some co-op, is there an EU goon clan at all?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Bought the Aoba and for the time being I'm just wrecking the poo poo out of people. Averaging about 60,000 damage and 2,800 a xp a round. The inevitable crash where I barely manage to live more than a couple minutes is going to be rough, my expectations are so high.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

Bought the Aoba and for the time being I'm just wrecking the poo poo out of people. Averaging about 60,000 damage and 2,800 a xp a round. The inevitable crash where I barely manage to live more than a couple minutes is going to be rough, my expectations are so high.

I had a 100% win rate after 11-13 games. Then I started making GBS threads the bed, but it's still a good ship.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DurosKlav posted:

The Aoba is all the good things about the Furutaka but none of the bad ones.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Perestroika posted:

Goddamn, the Mutsuki is a right pile of floating poop when you first unlock it. It's like an american destroyer without any of the things that makes american destroyers actually good.

I just unlocked and took the Mutsuki out for the first time today having been pushed out of the Minekaze's sweet embrace by the shifting of torp range

Trying to accomplish anything in this boat with the detection range, torp speed and overall drop in performance from the Minekaze feels like I'm going to be struggling to try and be half as effective as I was a tier ago.

Does this thing, or any Japanese DDs after V, have any redeeming qualities or is it just pain and depression from here on out?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Dusty Lens posted:

I just unlocked and took the Mutsuki out for the first time today having been pushed out of the Minekaze's sweet embrace by the shifting of torp range

Trying to accomplish anything in this boat with the detection range, torp speed and overall drop in performance from the Minekaze feels like I'm going to be struggling to try and be half as effective as I was a tier ago.

Does this thing, or any Japanese DDs after V, have any redeeming qualities or is it just pain and depression from here on out?

I hate fighting Shimakaze's because they have 20km torp range and like a 40kph top speed so I know I won't ever find the loving thing while it vomits torpedoes everywhere.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The Tirpitz is a great ship. However most pubbies who have one are utterly loving averse to fighting in it. Played 3 times tonight, got 3 draws, I got 3, 3 & 4 kills in it. The thing is indestructible as well I have no idea why no one won't get stuck in a bit more.

Got the Fuso this afternoon, took me 6 games to get my double, again getting multiple kills in every game.

Everyone on EU just seems either utterly risk averse or totally oblivious of what's going on around them.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Burt posted:

The Tirpitz is a great ship. However most pubbies who have one are utterly loving averse to fighting in it. Played 3 times tonight, got 3 draws, I got 3, 3 & 4 kills in it. The thing is indestructible as well I have no idea why no one won't get stuck in a bit more.

Got the Fuso this afternoon, took me 6 games to get my double, again getting multiple kills in every game.

Everyone on EU just seems either utterly risk averse or totally oblivious of what's going on around them.

When I was seeing them on NA it was the complete opposite. Everyone completely focused on it even if there was something closer that was pounding it into oblivion.

Also your name looked familiar and I remembered that you were the guy I did some grinding for in Tanks way back in the day.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Dusty Lens posted:

Welcome to the grind. Enjoy your stay. At least the DD experience has improved a little, with the change to carrier matchmaking. Use your guns when the opportunity arises. Your upgraded guns are at 18 second traverse, almost as fast as a US DD before T8. Get out of those 6km torps as soon as possible, because they're garbage. And get comfy with the 10kms, cuz you'll be seeing those for a while.

The Hatsuharu has fairly good guns too, and only sees its torps get a tiny bit faster. The Fubuki's torpedoes can start hitting out to 15km, and its guns are likely the best in the IJN DD line, though the Shimakaze's are roughly the same. The Fubuki also has 9 torpedoes in a salvo, rather than 6. The Kagero is... decent, with 8 torpedoes in its spread (two quad tubes), but those torps are Type 93s, the 20km monsters of the high tiers, and the Shimakaze shits out those things with 3 quintuple tubes.

Its not quite as big a change as the US DDs, though. Their honeymoon ends with the Nicholas, getting the abominable Farragut and the atrocious Mahan, but then suddenly its back to decency with the Benson, then the Fletcher and Gearing just sail off into the distance being sexy. Have you SEEN a Gearing's torpedoes? They're loving incredible, and they aren't very detectable either. I need one.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Yup enjoying the same thing, would love to team up with some salty euro goons for some co-op, is there an EU goon clan at all?

There are a few of us hanging out in the "Goons" channel. My contact list was pretty inactive this weekend, despite the new patch, which I think was a pretty good one.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Sorry Groggy, the replay where I rushed the Tirpitz is apparently too old and won't load :(

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Even in beta, I found the Mutsuki and Hatsuharu to be garbage compared to the Minekaze. I never did get to the Shimakaze, but I'm climbing that ladder again.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Night10194 posted:

The Aoba is all the good things about the Furutaka but none of the bad ones.

Pretty tiny ship then.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Green Dam posted:

Even in beta, I found the Mutsuki and Hatsuharu to be garbage compared to the Minekaze. I never did get to the Shimakaze, but I'm climbing that ladder again.

This is strongly linked to torpedo reload time, with some bias to the changes in playstyle as tiers rise. Since torpedo reload time increases so dramatically with tiers, the Minekaze's weaker torpedoes are still vastly more impactful in game due to it having more chances to HIT with those torpedoes and do meaningful damage to hostile ships. Parts of the problem are also linked with higher tier BB's having phenomenally higher HP and better torpedo defenses, as well as CVs getting more dominant with faster and more aircraft to fill the skies (as well as being faster and bulkier themselves, making rushing them less impactful).

Also, to rub salt in the wound, higher tier DD's have higher detection ranges on their torpedoes, increasing the amount of time targets have to react to hostile torpedoes. Because cutting the reload speed wasn't enough, I guess.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Hazdoc posted:

Welcome to the grind. Enjoy your stay. At least the DD experience has improved a little, with the change to carrier matchmaking. Use your guns when the opportunity arises. Your upgraded guns are at 18 second traverse, almost as fast as a US DD before T8. Get out of those 6km torps as soon as possible, because they're garbage. And get comfy with the 10kms, cuz you'll be seeing those for a while.

The Hatsuharu has fairly good guns too, and only sees its torps get a tiny bit faster. The Fubuki's torpedoes can start hitting out to 15km, and its guns are likely the best in the IJN DD line, though the Shimakaze's are roughly the same. The Fubuki also has 9 torpedoes in a salvo, rather than 6. The Kagero is... decent, with 8 torpedoes in its spread (two quad tubes), but those torps are Type 93s, the 20km monsters of the high tiers, and the Shimakaze shits out those things with 3 quintuple tubes.

Its not quite as big a change as the US DDs, though. Their honeymoon ends with the Nicholas, getting the abominable Farragut and the atrocious Mahan, but then suddenly its back to decency with the Benson, then the Fletcher and Gearing just sail off into the distance being sexy. Have you SEEN a Gearing's torpedoes? They're loving incredible, and they aren't very detectable either. I need one.

What exactly is wrong with the farragut? I'm almost done with the nicholas and want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Pretty tiny ship then.

Basically it has the really nice guns except they reload and rotate way faster and are in a better mounting layout. So it has the one good thing the Taco did, but then it's more agile, more survivable because it doesn't have to go full broadside to get its guns aimed, its torpedoes are better (though their firing arc is awful) and it actually has AA.

It is primo.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Astroniomix posted:

What exactly is wrong with the farragut? I'm almost done with the nicholas and want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Nothing much, its basically the Nicholas.

In fact, it literally is the Nicholas. If the Nicholas had ~2000 LESS HP, was slower, and its upgraded torpedoes lost 1 km in range and reload significantly more slowly. The only advantage it has over the Nicholas is its range, better AA (haha yeah big seller), and more torpedoes in broadside (2 quad tubes vs 2 triple tubes). However, the "better AA" is, well, by a destroyer's standards (AKA, not much), though now it has Defensive Fire to make it a bit more impactful. The superior torpedo broadside is a bit dulled as you then realize that the Nicholas actually has more torpedoes IN GENERAL, with 2 triple tubes on both sides of the ship, while the Farragut's torpedo tubes are centerline and can be swung around to face both sides. They also reload ~12 seconds slower. The 4.5 km torps are pretty... interesting. I've certainly performed with them in the Mahan (as they are stock, rather than the upgrades), but the increased damage doesn't do much if your torps fizzle before they reach.

But the drastically reduced HP is a real deal-breaker, along with the slower top speed. And this boat is seeing T6s with FREQUENCY, AKA the Cleveland paintrain, while the Nicholas gets away with seeing much squishier targets, like the Omaha and Phoenix.

The Mahan is a lot of the same as the Farragut, just fyi.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 6, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gunning down Phoenixes and Omahas who don't expect a DD to citadel them is the best part of the Nicholas, by the way.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I really wish shooting down fighters awarded better XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

Gunning down Phoenixes and Omahas who don't expect a DD to citadel them is the best part of the Nicholas, by the way.

I just gunned down an Atago in my Benson, so if you love that, it won't ever change. Cruiser armor stays thin forever, barring the special case of the Cleveland's magical citadel. You can actually do that in the IJN DDs too, but don't tell anyone I said that :ssh:
I love it when IJN DDs miss their torps on me and I get to wail on them for 20 seconds unmolested, since they're too dumb to shoot back. I CAN ONLY USE MY TORPS!