Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Yeah I know that, but what I am wondering if there are cutscenes that are entirely skippable because they're irrelevant side scenes etc, basically want to know the most straightforward story progression. Or should I just watch everything? This is gonna take hours isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Obscurity posted:

Yeah I know that, but what I am wondering if there are cutscenes that are entirely skippable because they're irrelevant side scenes etc, basically want to know the most straightforward story progression. Or should I just watch everything? This is gonna take hours isn't it?

I suggest you think very carefully about the amount of effort you are asking people to put in in order for you to skip a couple cutscenes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And even if there are side scenes from quests that people may miss, they still build characters and locations. For example, the cul50 quest gives hints that lolorito may have less than scrupulous motives for doing things

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
The guy was saying they get paid for progression raiding to clear quickly not farming. I doubt it happens at the world first level in wow. At least if there was a Saudi prince in method wow then why does their gm sco still hold down a 40 hour work week job? And they had to go back to night time raiding becsuse progression on the last boss took too long. Clearly if they had a prince he could have funded them to do more day time raiding?

It must be a thing done in other games for progression raiding at least.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

I doubt it happens at the world first level in wow.
it happens at world first level in World of Warcraft, just not amongst English players by large, to my knowledge at least. Progression raiders are being paid, partially, to have their names behind a boosting service afterwards.

Edit: I think part of why Method, and other western progression raiders, work is that they can easily live as comfortably as with what they could make off "raiding job", with added benefit of actually having something on their curriculum vitae for when the game's dead.

Well, that, and generally being bothered by their lives enough to ask themselves "but what's next" question.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 6, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kalstrams posted:

it happens at world first level in World of Warcraft, just not amongst English players by large, to my knowledge at least. Progression raiders are being paid, partially, to have their names behind a boosting service afterwards.

Well if they aren't getting firsts then it's an even bigger waste of money imo. As for the boosting service I'm surprised blizzard hasn't come down on that yet. Since account sharing is technically against their TOS.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Well if they aren't getting firsts then it's an even bigger waste of money imo. As for the boosting service I'm surprised blizzard hasn't come down on that yet. Since account sharing is technically against their TOS.
I think it is waste of money even on the world firsts (for the sponsor), as well, but I'm not aware of throughput of a good boosting service in various regions. On the other hand, I've experienced guild leaders spending thousands of dollars per month to help the guilds they were running, so who knows if this actually isn't about profits, in the end of the day.

Boosting services and ToS should be a tricky question for Blizzard - do they gain anything by going down on them?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Chairman posted:

Go to an inn room in the adventurer's guild of any of the four cities. There is an item there that will replay any seen cutscenes for you.

Make sure to wear a Halloween costume, or the most silly thing that you can glamour.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Obscurity posted:

Watching all the cutscenes is a bunch of crap mostly. A lot of them are largely meh until HW. I would suggest watching the story quests from right after titan (level 36ish) until the end of 2.0 then skipping 2.1 and really, 2.2 as well. 2.3 through wherever you are currently are good enough to warrant watching to actually fairly good.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

They're also separated into categories, so I'd imagine the MSQ category skips the side stuff, but I totally agree that post-titan is where it really kicks in. The Garuda scenes are where it really starts to shine, especially the post-Garuda fight and anything involving Iceheart. It might be separated into dungeons/trials being their own list, so make sure you see the ones for the MSQ dungeons/trials

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Please don't skip cutscenes.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
i'm glad the thread bounces between the two extremes of "i only play for the story this game is poop otherwise" to "lol story is for nerds i skip everything"

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I skip some of the cutscenes, but watch the obviously important ones. In particular the ones with voiced dialogue.

I'm a terrible monster.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wish they wouldn't stick a million cutscences in the middle of dungeons. It's kind of dumb. I pretty much didn't participate in either of the 8 man dungeons because I was almost always in cutscene. I don't really blame the people who've done it for wanting to rush ahead because the cut scenes aren't exactly brief either. Like it's just kinda bad design when they're encouraging people who've done it before to run it again for rewards.

On a different note: The best part about hitting 50 has been this Hildibrand sidequest.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I wish they wouldn't stick a million cutscences in the middle of dungeons. It's kind of dumb. I pretty much didn't participate in either of the 8 man dungeons because I was almost always in cutscene. I don't really blame the people who've done it for wanting to rush ahead because the cut scenes aren't exactly brief either. Like it's just kinda bad design when they're encouraging people who've done it before to run it again for rewards.

On a different note: The best part about hitting 50 has been this Hildibrand sidequest.

They learned their lesson. No dungeons have had a cutscene more than a minute since.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Suitaru posted:

They learned their lesson. No dungeons have had a cutscene more than a minute since.

Any and all long cutscenes are triggered by hitting the exit. It's a good way to do it.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I hit 60 on warrior and equipped a bunch of gear to get up to 186 ilvl with STR accs and the eso weapon. I'm...I'm so happy... :black101:

Now to actually figure out when and where all my CDs are appropriate to use while maximizing damage.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Chyea posted:

It's been about two weeks since A4S cleared and a lot of people have been asking for a video so, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iewfOmHjwYU

Please don't laugh at my Braver ;_;

:aaaaa: this fight looks so fun. And brutal. Do you actually like, have to pass nist? Because holy poo poo.

I'm sad that the only ones that seem up are the blm and whm, neither of which go to the robot death photo booth, is there an OT POV, or at least one of the dps that go in quarantine up somewhere?

Zeratanis posted:

I hit 60 on warrior and equipped a bunch of gear to get up to 186 ilvl with STR accs and the eso weapon. I'm...I'm so happy... :black101:

Now to actually figure out when and where all my CDs are appropriate to use while maximizing damage.

It takes practice and learning the flow of the fights, if unsure, just keep rotating through cds as pleases you until you get the hang of it. Many extreme primals and other boss fights have very deliberately timed tankbusters that sync with how long it takes to build up 5 stacks for an inner beast (Titan Ex will probably always be one of my favorite fights for that.)

Also, you're geared enough now to where you will only need to ever use Defiance over Deliverance if you're main tanking A4 (avoid doing this ever, it's not nearly as fun as OT) and maybe in A2 sometimes, and very occasionally in Savage. When doing Neverreap Roulette, I like pulling whatever packs it lets you pull together, popping foresight, bloodbath, and convalescence, then going ham on overpower and decimate (sneak in a combo'd maim early on for more damage). Pop other cooldowns as seems necessary, though vengance and that other new one I forget offhand give a stack of wrath, which can be used strategically to sneak in a second decimate in a berserk if you're crafty. With bloodbath up, you'll barely need your healer past the early hits, which is good, gives them time to DPS more.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 7, 2015

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Chyea posted:

It's been about two weeks since A4S cleared and a lot of people have been asking for a video so, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iewfOmHjwYU

Please don't laugh at my Braver ;_;

You guys make it look easy.

Also I've heard a lot of nerdscreams in my day but this might actually win lol, especially since only 8 people.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn2pNNULdo0

Here's Lucrezia's absolutely crazy A4 Savage video. Were this a WoW kill, I am certain people would claim it was illegitimate because of how much they abuse the game. Notable points of the ingenuity in abusing the game's mechanics:

- They cancel the entire mechanic involving killing bigger dolls by just letting it explode, letting them not have to deal with killing it at all and putting all their DPS back on the boss once the small dolls are gone. This mechanic steals all your MP, putting you at 0. Usually you'd think this was a punishment, but they just use carefully planned cooldown and resource spending from the Scholar, White Mage and Machinist. These dolls come every 60 seconds, so they have their mana recovering abilities available just as they lose all of it.
- The entire Judgement Nisi mechanic, which would mean 4 people would be at all times taking a ton of damage is completely cancelled by killing people strategically. The mechanic just goes away by doing this. Not sure if that's intentional, but someone was smart enough to try it out.
- On the subject of killing people strategically; they have their Machinist drain their resources on singing a mana song timed along with their Dark Knight going Living Dead, as they use healer LB3 to bring all dead people back to life again. This achieves one very important thing: the Machinist is back to life, and although they are Weakened, they now have a full mana bar again. Immediately starts using this resource to sing TP. Since nobody ever uses healer LB3, this feels like a massive oversight that the Machinist now has full mana to dole out even more resource gains to his group.

I find this extremely amusing, considering Elysium's video posted earlier showcases them dealing with the mechanics as planned. They BARELY beat the enrage using the method in which they do all the mechanics correctly. Lucrezia is *33* seconds away from the enrage in their kill while skipping mechanics.

I believe Square-Enix hosed up royally with this encounter after seeing Lucrezia abuse the poo poo out of the fight, as you shouldn't have the punishment for not doing a mechanic properly be that you just lose your mana. Even worse so, why would they let it be possible for you to cancel a mechanic by having its targets die? Back in turn 2, if rot exploded and the group survived, that poo poo went out posthaste again from the boss. With A4 Savage, it just stops showing up for a long duration and then you just remove it again once it shows up. Expect a lot more people beating A4S in the coming few days because holy poo poo.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Actually, it's loving awesome. Breaking apart mechanics is super cool - at least, when it isn't trivially easy. That sounds pretty complicated to both prepare and pull off and is a real neat use of lesser used mechanics such as the healer LB3. It would be no fun if the correct way was also the only way.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Antlions posted:

Actually, it's loving awesome. Breaking apart mechanics is super cool - at least, when it isn't trivially easy. That sounds pretty complicated to both prepare and pull off and is a real neat use of lesser used mechanics such as the healer LB3. It would be no fun if the correct way was also the only way.
Breaking apart mechanics is fun, but mechanics having their punishing element being trivialized and not causing an instant wipe - in the final battle of a raid tier - is bullshit. So far T5, T9 and T13 all have had poo poo that, if you didn't deal with it correctly, bye bye raid. They don't cancel all of those mechanics out, but two of the major ones are just gone from anyone's concern. It would be like removing the death walls of the previous tiers and making it possible to just soak divebombs. Not cool.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holyshoot posted:

The guy was saying they get paid for progression raiding to clear quickly not farming. I doubt it happens at the world first level in wow. At least if there was a Saudi prince in method wow then why does their gm sco still hold down a 40 hour work week job? And they had to go back to night time raiding becsuse progression on the last boss took too long. Clearly if they had a prince he could have funded them to do more day time raiding?

It must be a thing done in other games for progression raiding at least.

I'm not sure how often it happens at progression level but the feeling I get is that it's just a very erratic thing and each case is a different case, so pretty much everything goes. I know that a lot of players were willing to pay up others for favors back in WoW arena. A friend of mine who played WoW got routinely offered 80-100 dollars per hour to teach/coach other players.

Also almost every high-ranked team in any competitive game during its height gets a constant stream of people low-balling offers to get in to get season rewards (literally "let me in I'll paypal you 10 dollars pls") but WoW arena had a particular amount of whales offering literally thousands of dollars to get rushed to rank 1.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's just really creative and coordinated strategy. The methods used are incredibly precise and requires some tremendous team coordination and precise resource management to pull off to the point that it's likely equally as tough as dealing with the mechanics "as intended".

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

ilifinicus posted:

Breaking apart mechanics is fun, but mechanics having their punishing element being trivialized and not causing an instant wipe - in the final battle of a raid tier - is bullshit. So far T5, T9 and T13 all have had poo poo that, if you didn't deal with it correctly, bye bye raid. They don't cancel all of those mechanics out, but two of the major ones are just gone from anyone's concern. It would be like removing the death walls of the previous tiers and making it possible to just soak divebombs. Not cool.
meanwhile in a sane world yoship and co. watch the video and simply say 'neat'.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Dukka posted:

meanwhile in a sane world yoship and co. watch the video and simply say 'neat'.
last time people did poo poo like this to a raid encounter they closed it off for WEEKS... T5 abuse was very interesting

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ilifinicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn2pNNULdo0
Here's Lucrezia's absolutely crazy A4 Savage video. Were this a WoW kill, I am certain people would claim it was illegitimate because of how much they abuse the game. Notable points of the ingenuity in abusing the game's mechanics:

I certainly wouldn't blame them for any of it, going from "creative use of game mechanics" to "exploiting game mechanics" is simply crossing an arbitrary line that (for a newer game like ffxiv) probably hasn't been established yet.

In WoW there was bannable exploits (door strats, making yourself untargetable or LoS glitching). And then there were grey-areas that would be hot-fixed immediately (ANY suicide to avoid mechanics, like to avoid the nisi mechanic) But these were somewhat known and established by having a 10+ year game and raiding community. People were banned for even accidentally finding exploits and using them to get world first kills (heroic lich king).

But I experienced my guild have mages spellsteal buffs to get past a tight DPS check for a world first, and Blizzard hotfixed it after, yet did not ban us because they considered it "creative use of game mechanics" (this is a very good read regarding encounter tuning and exploits, see Gara'jal the Spiritbinder if you are nerdy as hell)

I will have confidence in Yoshi and the dev team to establish firmer sets of rules, I assume they are capable of monitor boss attempts in progress to watch world first guilds make attempts. But these things take time. As it stands now, any guild looking at that video and no action taken would be a carte blanche by the dev team.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
why dont you make a square enix forums post about how unfair it was

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DolphinCop posted:

why dont you make a square enix forums post about how unfair it was

It's not unfair to me, I don't compete at that level nor do I have anything invested in the outcome.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

It's not unfair at all, did you miss the part where I call this ingenuity? What is bumming me out is that Square-Enix didn't manage to cook up a more interesting mechanic than having every final raid encounter be divebombs. They tried something new and royally screwed it up. get it? royal pentacle

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Pews posted:

It's not unfair to me, I don't compete at that level nor do I have anything invested in the outcome.

you seem awfully invested care-wise :cheerdoge:

quote:

- The entire Judgement Nisi mechanic, which would mean 4 people would be at all times taking a ton of damage is completely cancelled by killing people strategically. The mechanic just goes away by doing this. Not sure if that's intentional, but someone was smart enough to try it out.

this sounds really similar to saurfang's mechanic back in ICC, but it gave him a buff every time someone bit the dust because of it.

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 7, 2015

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Doublestep posted:

My only regret... is that I cared.... on the ESS AYY FORUMS

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Chill out, ese

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

last time people did poo poo like this to a raid encounter they closed it off for WEEKS... T5 abuse was very interesting

Has anyone written up the amazing ways that t5 was broken? I've heard whispers but would love to hear details. Early on, a lot of fights were broken with out of bounds shenanigans, but apparently Twintania's scripting broke causing her to just autoattack in a myriad of interesting ways without even that, though there were a bunch of out of bounds glitches as well.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
you could sleep conflagrations and twisters were tuned for 0 latency. that's pretty much it

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Doublestep posted:

You seem to care pretty hard about the fact that they care.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

Has anyone written up the amazing ways that t5 was broken? I've heard whispers but would love to hear details. Early on, a lot of fights were broken with out of bounds shenanigans, but apparently Twintania's scripting broke causing her to just autoattack in a myriad of interesting ways without even that, though there were a bunch of out of bounds glitches as well.
there's a few notable ones:

- you could surround Twintania in pets, they had collision back then. Because of how the combat script worked for Twintania, it would try to attack whoever was on top of their target list and not do anything else until they finished that attack. Since Twintania was stuck in collision, it could not do anything. and could be killed without ever touching anyone. this ALSO cancelled all phasing, and twintania was forever stuck in phase 1 until it died.
- same thing as above, except moving away from Twintania as it had queued an ability on you and then forcing a disconnect. Twintania would endlessly try to kill the disconnected player, even tho they were not even present in the game.
- as mentioned already, if you slept a conflagration it died. :confused:
- minor one, which still is present in a smaller way: attacks from anything in T5 did not have a very large Z axis. You could stand on elevated terrain and not get hit by anything. Including the explosions from the snakes that would make you vulnerable to incoming damage. The arena was flattened at some point because of this.

stuff that exists to this day and was not the intended way to deal with a mechanic:
- one tank directly under Twintania to soak every egg she shits out. you were supposed to move a guy targeted by it into a ring you placed strategically. nobody does this.
- the divebomb pit. Since Twintania has a fixed amount of locations it will dive from which is picked based on proximity to a random player, people found out you could cheese this by having everyone be in one spot. Twintania picked this one spot every time, and if you were far enough down this spot, Twintania would dive OUT of the arena instead of inwards and covering a large section of the floor, as was intended. later fixed with T9 and T13's divebombs

I'm sure I've forgotten a few others, I don't remember all of them

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm debating buying the full version of the game after doing a trial a while back, does it matter if I buy through steam or through SE directly?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If you buy it through Steam, you have to buy all your upgrades through Steam, which means you can't get the physical collector's editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Boten Anna posted:

Aside from what was mentioned, you used to be able to have the main tank step into the conflags to cause the Death Sentence to do no damage to them being invulnerable. Later they changed it so that Twintania would switch to the next target if you did that.

Or at least I think it was something like that. This was patched out before I actually got to do T5 so I wasn't present for that particular exploit.

• Locked thread