Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

DeepQantas posted:

What about a zombie virus?

Police, ambulance and hearse?
Every city problem should be solvable with enough bulldozers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Vahakyla posted:

Traffic accident could be a cool thing to require. It'd require one fire truck, one police car and an ambulance to solve and go away.

This would only be possible if emergency vehicles could actually make their way past traffic. Which they can't. Still.

For reasons.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Okay, so:

1. How do I get icons to go away in JOSM?
2. Cimtrographer doesn't recognize all the roads in Some Roads as proper roads, so it looks like bits of the city's fringes aren't connected to the road network at all, when they actually are.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I wouldn't know how to do that in JOSM. I ended up moving on to exporting from there to Maperative (save the .osm in JOSM first or it won't load) since it's got the very handy export to .svg for Illustrator tool.

e: Maperative is even more finicky with what kinds of roads it wants to show. You get the best results by exporting a wireframe and hand-painting everything :(

e2: like so:

Yay, drawing!

Koesj fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 2, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

This would only be possible if emergency vehicles could actually make their way past traffic. Which they can't. Still.

For reasons.
Didn't it get modded in?

Its a gameplay decision on the dev side: its supposed to be an abstraction of traffic so its a conscious choice to make emergency vehicles wait, as the only real meaningful grading system of how well your roads work.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I feel like it's an immersion thing, really. It's odd to see the ambulance service wait patiently behind a line of traffic while someone is having a heart attack.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

These maps a very cool.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cities-skylines-after-dark-dev-diary-3-expanded-city-services.880137/

Dev diary talking about new systems and buildings. The cargo station will save so much traffic!

Sounds like they're also revamping tourism a bit with the taxi stands. Will this make it actually useful for a city?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Sounds like they're also revamping tourism a bit with the taxi stands. Will this make it actually useful for a city?
A new tourism related building that adds even more upkeep? Nope, it's going to make it even less useful.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Jet Jaguar posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cities-skylines-after-dark-dev-diary-3-expanded-city-services.880137/

Dev diary talking about new systems and buildings. The cargo station will save so much traffic!

All these changes, and no rebalancing of offices :negative:

Still can't wait to play, but drat. :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Poil posted:

A new tourism related building that adds even more upkeep? Nope, it's going to make it even less useful.

I assume the building will make money given that taxi services do function on that basis. It sounds like it's basically a bus depot that takes you directly to your destination which is frankly very useful for a lot of reasons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are they going to fix tourism so it actually does something and is a meaningful choice?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably the leisure district will have some kind of tourist appeal. That was supposedly tied to the day/night cycle as a night-active area?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Are they going to fix tourism so it actually does something and is a meaningful choice?

So far it seems like tourism only exists for tax revenue, which is nice, except that the game was already incredibly easy, budget wise, without tourism. I think this game is legitimately the first city builder I have ever played where I wasn't compelled to cheat some money into the game.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

Okay, so:

1. How do I get icons to go away in JOSM?
2. Cimtrographer doesn't recognize all the roads in Some Roads as proper roads, so it looks like bits of the city's fringes aren't connected to the road network at all, when they actually are.

I missed it, where is the writeup on how to do this? That's amazing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

All these changes, and no rebalancing of offices :negative:

Still can't wait to play, but drat. :(
Sounds like they're dealing with crime at least. That was my biggest "what is even the point of this system?" issue in the game. Next for me is tourism, which they seem to be working on a bit with taxis, districts and so on... but they haven't mentioned rehauling it like they seem to be doing for crime. But they've got to be doing something if they're working on things that interact with that system. Was it ever possible to get enough money out of tourism to even pay for the upkeep on an airport?

I hope tourism is actually necessary for the health of the new commercial districts to some extent. I like the idea that the waterfront will be abandoned if I demolish my airport so there are actual consequences beyond a trickle of money going up or down for... anything to do with tourism.

Out of curiosity, what was so horribly broken about offices? I tended to just not build them if I could help it as it hurt my industrial zones, and they were a lot more fun to try and balance, what with their insane traffic flow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Offices are just an employment sink. They produce no traffic, generate no resources, and refuse to upgrade a lot of the time because of a lack of services.

They serve no purpose but to hoover up unemployed people. Which is good in some ways, but it doesn't really help the game be more fun.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Eiba posted:

Sounds like they're dealing with crime at least. That was my biggest "what is even the point of this system?" issue in the game. Next for me is tourism, which they seem to be working on a bit with taxis, districts and so on... but they haven't mentioned rehauling it like they seem to be doing for crime. But they've got to be doing something if they're working on things that interact with that system. Was it ever possible to get enough money out of tourism to even pay for the upkeep on an airport?

I hope tourism is actually necessary for the health of the new commercial districts to some extent. I like the idea that the waterfront will be abandoned if I demolish my airport so there are actual consequences beyond a trickle of money going up or down for... anything to do with tourism.

Out of curiosity, what was so horribly broken about offices? I tended to just not build them if I could help it as it hurt my industrial zones, and they were a lot more fun to try and balance, what with their insane traffic flow.

Offices count as industrial jobs, without any of the pollution or freight problems to balance them. They also don't need any raw materials or anything. They just exist and create jobs while not really fitting in with anything like actual industry does. With a properly educated populace, you could spam the poo poo out of offices to keep everyone employed and happy. My first and only city has a MASSIVE office district because that was the easiest way for me to deal with unemployment and it just kept working out. Every time I had industrial demand I built more offices and nothing bad ever happened.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ah. Yeah, I guess that's the impression I got. Offices are indeed boring, and it sounds like they're more boring than I even knew 'cause I stayed away from them.

That said, broken offices aren't all that bad compared to poo poo like crime being broken, because you can just... not build offices. And you're fine. Still something that needs fixing for sure, but I'm not going to be bothered that they're fixing other stuff first.

Actually, speaking of education, it seems to me that it's in a similar situation as crime in that it doesn't really matter as much as it should. You will pretty much always have enough schools for everyone and people may upgrade faster with a school nearby, they'll get educated just fine from a school across the map so you've pretty much always got maximum education whether you like it or not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish the economy was a little more like cities XL with more obviously linked production chains. Office in cities XL produced "office services" which was something all businesses on the map needed. Offices existed to support industry, it all made sense and the higher tech industries needed more office services so as your tech-sector got bigger and more educated you could support more office.

In Skylines it's just "do you want industry that creates an insane and nearly impossible to deal with amount of freight traffic and looks bad, or do you want offices that have no downsides and look way better?". I'll make a few industrial areas just for looks and as a local source of goods for my shops but otherwise it's all office.

Office should employ way more people though. The worker density of a factory vs an office is like 100x difference. Really, industry should be huge low sprawling buildings. Probably the biggest mistake skylines made was painting them selves into a corner with 4x4 plots.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Does anybody have any sick subway designs I could copy for my next attempt at playing this game?

It would be so much fun if I was, you know, creative. Or even just knew where to begin, really.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Does anybody have any sick subway designs I could copy for my next attempt at playing this game?

It would be so much fun if I was, you know, creative. Or even just knew where to begin, really.

I had good luck with a hub design.. devote a downtown block to as many subway stations as you can cram in (4 is probably sufficient, more if you have the room), connect it to streets with pedestrian paths and a couple bus stops. Then each subway line goes to some other part of the city like a residential district or an industrial area. I tend to get very high passenger counts with this system because citizens can get anywhere in the city with a single transfer.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They mentioned the new bus station, I really hope they aren't going to leave out the possibility of a subway/metro equivalent. Or at least allow us to connect parallel lines underground via pedestrian tunnels.

Baronjutter posted:

I wish the economy was a little more like cities XL with more obviously linked production chains. Office in cities XL produced "office services" which was something all businesses on the map needed. Offices existed to support industry, it all made sense and the higher tech industries needed more office services so as your tech-sector got bigger and more educated you could support more office.

In Skylines it's just "do you want industry that creates an insane and nearly impossible to deal with amount of freight traffic and looks bad, or do you want offices that have no downsides and look way better?". I'll make a few industrial areas just for looks and as a local source of goods for my shops but otherwise it's all office.

Office should employ way more people though. The worker density of a factory vs an office is like 100x difference. Really, industry should be huge low sprawling buildings. Probably the biggest mistake skylines made was painting them selves into a corner with 4x4 plots.

That was one thing Cities XL kind of got right. I also liked how industry was separated between manufacturing, heavy processing (chemical plants, etc.), agriculture, and high tech.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cities XL had a lot of good ideas that weren't fully fleshed out or suffered from poor optimization in general.

It's too bad, really. The idea of mini-tycoon games in a city game is kind of cool.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Fasdar posted:

Just thought I'd leave these here:

Those circle farms are cool as heck but here's a good city aesthetic tip, feel free to ignore at your discretion: don't spam your city with unique buildings/monuments/etc. Pyongyang Doom Hotel looks cool when it dominates the skyline, the effect is diminished when you've got the Burj Khalifa and a hundred other super buildings next to it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I always end up building too many schools since residential areas won't get promoted to a new level without one nearby. So my schools are seldom at capacity because I keep building them to nudge a neighborhood into a new level.

The Cim teachers must love me as mayor, class sizes are tiny.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

The Cim teachers must love me as mayor, class sizes are tiny.
My Cim teachers hate me, I only build one school of each type because I want people to work my forestry and farming. Class sizes are: everyone.
But it doesn't matter because the whole city ends up with a university education regardless, it just takes longer. :sigh:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Poil posted:

My Cim teachers hate me, I only build one school of each type because I want people to work my forestry and farming. Class sizes are: everyone.
But it doesn't matter because the whole city ends up with a university education regardless, it just takes longer. :sigh:

People work in forestry and farming anyway, it just takes longer before they accept a job they are overqualified for.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I know, but I hate seeing the whole districts being abandoned half the time.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Ok I'm building an airport, what do you guys think are the bestest assets? I'm already using Airport Roads and I guess I need the CO terminal without a runway to even get any plane movement going?

e: okay so I need the basic airport for any plane movement :downs:

e2: wait nm hellll no! custom airports looking good!

e3: and now I'm getting the goddamn circling planes bug :(

Koesj fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 4, 2015

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Poil posted:

I know, but I hate seeing the whole districts being abandoned half the time.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=506982407

I've been using this lately and it seems to help.

quote:

On my test city, after several years of simulation I ended up with the following distribution: 

Uneducated: 7% 
Educated: 10% 
Well Educated: 33% 
Highly Educated: 50%

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

I always end up building too many schools since residential areas won't get promoted to a new level without one nearby. So my schools are seldom at capacity because I keep building them to nudge a neighborhood into a new level.

I cheated and made a clone of the schools with a larger radius of influence.

No more universities running at 1/5 capacity for me!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Koesj posted:

I've got so much space to fill in T_T

e: VVVV I exported the map as an .osm from the Cimtographer mod, into JOSM (openstreetmap standalone editor), and 'printed' it from there.

I installed the printer plugin (as far as I know) but can't for the life of my any button or dialogue that says 'print'. Any clues?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Metrication posted:

I installed the printer plugin (as far as I know) but can't for the life of my any button or dialogue that says 'print'. Any clues?

File -> print, or Ctrl + P rather. Choose whatever print to picture thing (like CutePDF) you've got installed as your printer.

However...

Hadlock posted:

I missed it, where is the writeup on how to do this? That's amazing.

Get Cimtographer. It'll add a new button with options next to the 'policies' checkmark. I haven't tried importing anything from openstreetmap (OSM), but the export city to .osm option is right at the bottom of the dialog window. Do this, and a .osm file of your city will be placed in your ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines folder.

Use JOSM to open your brand new .osm (for the first time at least). Ta-da! A number of things probably won't show since Cimtographer exports in a pretty funky way, making ramps and one-way streets illegible for example. You could 'print' your map to a file from here, using the JOSM printer plugin and something like CutePDF, but it's probably best to save your .osm with JOSM and put it somewhere where you can find it a bit more easily.

Then get Maperitive a program so cool it won't automatically read .osm files generated by Cimtographer (for me at least), thus necessitating the use of JOSM as an intermediary. Select 'Web map (OSM Mapnik) on the bottom right, and then click the red 'remove the map source etc.' button to get rid of any superfluous stuff Maperetive wants you to use. Then choose 'File' -> 'open map source' and open your .osm that you just saved in JOSM. Whoa, okay, same stuff, nicer program to work with.

Mess around with Maperetive for a bit and you'll find out that it:

A. under tools, outputs a 'bitmap' image (or .png rather) directly into the output folder of the program
B. under map, allows you to set the printing/geometry bounds of your output
C. under map, lets you change 'rendering rules' from default OSM to wireframe, gmaps, hiking, and urbanight (I guess there's more to be found somewhere?)
and finally D. under tools again, since Cimtographer exports stuff like a stupid fucker, you can choose to output to .svg for either Inkscape or Illustrator jfc what is this a useable vector format for my videogame maps?!?

That's the point where you can start channeling your inner graphic designer, and half-finish a map based on what was a half-finished city in the first place.

e: oh and my airport is p. much done as well. Mods are starting to eat my game.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 4, 2015

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The new airport in After Dark:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just started playing this and I have some questions.

There seems to be a filter on or something where anything that's not in the center of my screen is "out of focus", but what that means in practice is that the models look super lovely and low res and it's distracting and dumb. Can I turn that off? Because I hate it.

Speaking of models, do high density residential and office buildings eventually look different when they level up? Because they look super similar right now (and they both look like apartments, the office stuff doesn't look at all like offices).

Can someone explain to me low density residential vs. high density residential? I'm not sure why high density is better, or what situations it's for, or what -- it attracts young adults, great, but they show up uneducated and it's not like they can go to elementary school. Do they go straight to college? (I have a college they can go to.) It seems like low density is better because they have kids? Or am I completely misunderstanding it?

How do garbage places interact? Do landfills collect everything and then send the trash off to incinterators, or are they competing for trash and they keep what they get? What happens when one gets full, will the other landfills send their trucks out farther to pick up the slack? I had one landfill get full and it caused a garbage wave all over the city and I wasn't at all sure what was going on.

I like the game quite a lot on short notice, but holy poo poo does it refuse to hold your hand at all. Would a simple "here's how you build poo poo, click on the flashing button and then put the things where we tell you" tutorial have been so hard?

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I just started playing this and I have some questions.

There seems to be a filter on or something where anything that's not in the center of my screen is "out of focus", but what that means in practice is that the models look super lovely and low res and it's distracting and dumb. Can I turn that off? Because I hate it.

Thats "Tilt Shift" on the options screen. Its kinda bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CapnAndy posted:

I like the game quite a lot on short notice, but holy poo poo does it refuse to hold your hand at all. Would a simple "here's how you build poo poo, click on the flashing button and then put the things where we tell you" tutorial have been so hard?

The game does do that though. In fact it does that every time you start a new city. :confused:

edit: Unless you mean a rigid "make the road 50m right on this marker" tutorial in which case I don't think they would need to go that far with it. I do wish it wasn't possible to gently caress yourself over in the earliest game though because it feels almost completely random whether or not your economy will recover when people first start moving in.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The early game is always the hardest part since at some point when you get up to about 10,000 you're strapped for cash because you start having to think about things like bus routes and cop shops and you might run into your first die-off.

I think it's easier than SC4 because with that you could gently caress yourself over if you don't micromanage your service funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

xzzy posted:

Offices are just an employment sink. They produce no traffic, generate no resources...

ToastyPotato posted:

They just exist and create jobs while not really fitting in with anything like actual industry does. With a properly educated populace, you could spam the poo poo out of offices to keep everyone employed and happy.

This is completely realistic, though?