Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

So did Unity ever become a good game? I remember the reviews making it sound like there was a good game buried under a pile of technical issues and thinking that maybe it'd be a good thing to pick up on a steam sale someday after they had time to patch it.

and... well... its on steam sale

Buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Don't buy it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Assassin's Creed. Do you like Assassin's Creed?

I have to ask because a lot of people don't and buy them anyway, because they are stupid I guess.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It's Assassin's Creed. Do you like Assassin's Creed?

I have to ask because a lot of people don't and buy them anyway, because they are stupid I guess.

Yeah I do, I was disappointed when it came out that everyone said it was broken crap, I'm just asking if it ever become unbroke

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It still has some technical issues, but then so has every Assassin's Creed game.

The online stuff has all been dropped, so you can just grab whatever you want that used to be locked.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The biggest laugh is their refusal to discount Rogue as much as Unity. That's clearly telling.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Jarmak posted:

Yeah I do, I was disappointed when it came out that everyone said it was broken crap, I'm just asking if it ever become unbroke

I played it about a month ago and it ran pretty smoothly on my computer. Paris looks amazing, and it was pretty fun.

Of course it still has issues. I hate ubisoft business model and insistence on annual releases as much as anyone else, but it seems to me that (minus the release bugs) this is a loose-loose case: if they change a lot, people complain that they changed too much, but if they keep the formula people claim they are bored.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Jarmak posted:

So did Unity ever become a good game? I remember the reviews making it sound like there was a good game buried under a pile of technical issues and thinking that maybe it'd be a good thing to pick up on a steam sale someday after they had time to patch it.

and... well... its on steam sale

Unity didn't become a good game so much as a playable game.

The bugs have more or less been patched out at this point, but it's still a painfully mediocre AC title and no amount of patching can cure that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Outside of the bugs and performance issues, one of Unity's biggest problems is that there is too much to do. I know that sounds like a weird complaint when I've really taken to another game lately, The Witcher 3 which also has an astronomical amount of stuff to do. But Unity... eh.

The game feels half-baked to the core. There are tons to do but only a handful of those things are actually interesting or rewarding to do. It feels like the developers stopped giving a poo poo midway through development and just wanted the game done already, probably sick and tired of the yearly Assassin's Creed milking as we are at this point. It really doesn't help that you're gated from doing some of those things until pretty much right at the end of the game because of skills now being gated behind story progression and then requiring skill points on top of that to actually unlock them.

So skip it I'd say. It's not a bad game but it's just a very boring and pointless game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Skoll posted:

The biggest laugh is their refusal to discount Rogue as much as Unity. That's clearly telling.

Rogue has only been on the PC for a couple of months, Unity has been out for almost 8 months at this point.

Most devs, much less Ubisoft won't heavily discount a recent release during the sale.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I got 100% on Unity three weeks ago (I was enough of a madman to get all chests) and I stand by my last post:

GUI posted:

One of the latest Unity patches unlocked some extra missions shown on the map with blue Assassin icons, where are they from? "Kill this random guy" "Defend this guy" "Rob this guy" they have no storyline at all and can be completed in half a minute. The Paris Stories aren't too good either despite being longer, with the most painfully tedious missions involving having to follow an NPC for 10 minutes while fighting enemies. It's also weird how in some of them Arno has a few lines while most of the time he's completely mute, as if they simply forgot to add dialogue (wouldn't be surprising considering what a mess this game is). The Paris Crimes are pretty simple and mostly have you running from place to place to pad out their length. Co-op is only good if you're interested in seeing the game drop down to 10-20FPS when there's another player on-screen. The Riddles are all right but there's way too many of them and by the time you solve them all the equipment you get is pointless. The quantity of side missions is a complaint I have for the post-AC2 (I didn't play Brotherhood or Revelations) games and Ubigames in general: They cover the map with activities but none of them are interesting enough to add 50 of each, and by the time you get whatever reward you get for doing them your current gear is way better. They also keep putting these chests in all their games that do nothing. Why do I have to wait until Sequence 9 to open Level 3 chests (and why does the tutorial for lock-picking pop up every single time)? By that point I'll have a million Frenchbucks from doing the half dozen missions to renovate the Café (it's amazing they were restrained with the amount of missions for that) and the little amount of money you get from them is useless.
The city in the game is so well made yet outside the main story the gameplay itself feels so sterile.

If you like the basic AC gameplay of climbing, parkour and (easy) stealth then get it. If you're burned out on the series or never liked them then don't. The new additions are pretty awful and belong in a budget game, and some changes, like the combat, are worse than before.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

Rogue has only been on the PC for a couple of months, Unity has been out for almost 8 months at this point.

Most devs, much less Ubisoft won't heavily discount a recent release during the sale.

I'm sure it has everything to do with that and nothing to do with Unity being a piece of poo poo.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I'm kind of interested in how boring Syndicate looks to me, given that I've played every AC game but Rogue (though I got bored and never got too far in either AC3 or Unity).

Like, the gameplay trailers for AC3 and Unity still look good to me and if those were the games that were released I'd be all over them, but every trailer for Syndicate just looks boring and janky.

The bit about how the wagons change the gameplay is great: "you can ride them, hide in them, hide on them, the possibilities are endless." If anyone can think of these endless possibilities aside from the 3 he listed I'd love to hear them.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Jump on. Jump off. Jump from one to another.
Hide next to them? Ride them while hiding?

That's all I've got.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hide under them.
Hide between them.
Paint them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Throw horse poop at your opponents?

No wait this is Ubi, that'll be a $20 dlc. :v:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kuiperdolin posted:

Hide under them.
Hide between them.
Paint them.

Ford the river.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I finally got around to finishing Rogue. That was a good time.

Now I'm in the mood for a game with the little enhancements Unity brought. I just rather wait for Syndicate.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So there was a podcast with the lead designer for Syndicate and he fessed up that he was responsible for THAT tank mission in Brotherhood.

Are you excited yet?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

So there was a podcast with the lead designer for Syndicate and he fessed up that he was responsible for THAT tank mission in Brotherhood.

Are you excited yet?
i already had high expectations but drat

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kuiperdolin posted:

Are you excited yet?

The mission itself wasn't bad.

100% sync on that mission? That's a punishment reserved for one of the levels of Dante's Hell, I'm sure of it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

Hide under them.
Hide between them.
Paint them.

Just Cause style stunts off them...

I think the "hookshot" is just gonna ruin the assassins creed formula

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Snuffman posted:

The mission itself wasn't bad.

100% sync on that mission? That's a punishment reserved for one of the levels of Dante's Hell, I'm sure of it.

Right the mission is pretty enjoyable the first ten times.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

It's been a few years since I played Brotherhood, but as I recall, that was the only mission I didn't 100% sync. I'd always get hit at least once.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I got it on the second try because you can move to the very edges of the memory where it warns you you're about to reset and cheese it from there

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/assassins-creed-first-look-heres-michael-127715456582.html

quote:

Meet Michael Fassbender as Callum Lynch in Assassin’s Creed.

Based on the massively popular — and prolific — video-game series of the same name, the movie version is set to open in theaters Dec. 21, 2016.

Before hardcore Assassin's Creed gamers start scratching their heads (and filling up the comments) about how exactly Callum Lynch fits into the game world, we can tell you that Fassbender’s character was created specifically for the film. (The movie isn’t retelling any of the existing games, but rather introducing new characters into the same world.)

Lynch discovers he is a descendant of the secret Assassins society through unlocked genetic memories that allow him to relive the adventures of his ancestor, Aguilar, in 15th Century Spain. After gaining incredible knowledge and skills he’s poised to take on the oppressive Knights Templar in the present day.

Also starring Marion Cotillard (The Dark Knight Rises), Michael Kenneth Williams (12 Years a Slave), and Ariane Labed (Before Midnight), cameras start rolling for Assassin's Creed on Monday. Filming is set to happen in Malta, London, and Spain.

I'm cautiously optimistic, as Fassbender and Cotillard are great, it's being co-produced by Fassbender's own production company so he's got more of a stake in its success, and it isn't following any specific already-established storyline. Because we all know they're a mess. I wonder if they will forgo any of the precursor stuff; sticking to the "use your ancestor's memory to train yourself for the present fight" is great as is, the whole "Those Who Came Before" sounds too goofy for the screen though I do enjoy it in the games.

I started making my way through AC: Rogue after getting it cheap on Amazon a couple months ago, and with the new assassin enemies I can no longer just rush through some objectives now and have died a few times from being surprised by them, which is a nice change of pace. I have to kinda be sneaky now, in an AC game! Who knew!

The new ship stuff is great, but I prefer the more open waters of AC4.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That outfit looks very tight and uncomfortable.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Costume looks good, and Fassbender is a great actor. I have zero interest in an AC movie, but that looks good so far. Given the series' parallels to The Matrix and The Da Vinci Code, this could go really well if done right. Chances are slim, but there's potential.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Creating a new character as well as setting the film in an area largely untouched by the games is a pretty smart decision. Now just avoid the dumb lore that the game has built up and I might actually go see it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The dumb lore is the best part of these games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kuiperdolin posted:

The dumb lore is the best part of these games.

WHAT? The best parts of these games are the detailed setting areas and architecture, rad poo poo like pirate ships, and never having to play Unity again.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I like both.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Finished Rogue last night, and it was a good Black Flag 1.5. Way too much busywork objective stuff I skipped, many settlements and stuff like the bonus armors except for the one you get from the legendary ship battles, but overall A Good Game. The improvements to ships were fun: being boarded was great, though I don't like how closed off the north atlantic zone is, I much prefer more open waterways.

I feel like I cheated at the last legendary ship battle, the Storm Fortress; I got stuck against the ship's bow, and did my burning oil and killed it quick, so had nearly full health and mortars for the rest of the event.

It was a nice story touch how they tied it into AC Unity at the end, and reminded me how much they hosed up Unity's story. I punched the pope once, let's get back to that.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

PlushCow posted:

It was a nice story touch how they tied it into AC Unity at the end, and reminded me how much they hosed up Unity's story. I punched the pope once, let's get back to that.

I thought it was a little weird that Arno spends his entire life avenging his girlfriend's dad, but never really even seems to wonder about who killed his own. I played through Rogue first and was hoping some kind of conclusion to Shay's story and was disappointed I never got one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PlushCow posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/assassins-creed-first-look-heres-michael-127715456582.html

I'm cautiously optimistic, as Fassbender and Cotillard are great, it's being co-produced by Fassbender's own production company so he's got more of a stake in its success, and it isn't following any specific already-established storyline. Because we all know they're a mess. I wonder if they will forgo any of the precursor stuff; sticking to the "use your ancestor's memory to train yourself for the present fight" is great as is, the whole "Those Who Came Before" sounds too goofy for the screen though I do enjoy it in the games.

I started making my way through AC: Rogue after getting it cheap on Amazon a couple months ago, and with the new assassin enemies I can no longer just rush through some objectives now and have died a few times from being surprised by them, which is a nice change of pace. I have to kinda be sneaky now, in an AC game! Who knew!

The new ship stuff is great, but I prefer the more open waters of AC4.

if its his own company it means he must sorta give a poo poo about the games, so it might be interesting, better then the new hitman movie i am sure.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Outside of the bugs and performance issues, one of Unity's biggest problems is that there is too much to do. I know that sounds like a weird complaint when I've really taken to another game lately, The Witcher 3 which also has an astronomical amount of stuff to do. But Unity... eh.

The game feels half-baked to the core. There are tons to do but only a handful of those things are actually interesting or rewarding to do. It feels like the developers stopped giving a poo poo midway through development and just wanted the game done already, probably sick and tired of the yearly Assassin's Creed milking as we are at this point. It really doesn't help that you're gated from doing some of those things until pretty much right at the end of the game because of skills now being gated behind story progression and then requiring skill points on top of that to actually unlock them.

So skip it I'd say. It's not a bad game but it's just a very boring and pointless game.
because none of the stuff Unity makes you do feels natural or organic or story related. in witcher 3, everything is a quest or random encounters. Mgs5 while sometimes barren feeling also has plenty of poo poo to do and it gives you an objective and incentives to do it. plus the AI is smart and dynamic and the fact the you can approach the mission from a shiton of ways make it feel organic. mad max is the same. Unity didnt have any of that poo poo. all the side quests didnt fit the timeline or the story or they were just animus related. for various reasons i am still sorta hopeful for syndicate. the side missions look more inline with the story and the quests, the assassinations look more open. and its a simpler time period over a shorter period of time (1 year.) http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/assassins-creed-syndicate-could-unite-main-and-side-quests/
plus after the gently caress up that was unity, they seem to at least be taking fan criticism to heart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0QPx7nSLc
so who knows.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
A year after Unity, I am going to Paris tomorrow and while Unity should have made me obsessed with the city, it failed to make the city a character, and subsequently I will see the city like any other tourist.

Tl;dr: Ubisoft lied, passion died

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Is anyone legit excited for Syndicate at this point? About the most I've heard from anyone is "eh sure I guess I'll get it :shrug:"

I think Ubisoft should've taken a hint from Unity that the franchise really needs to take a year off.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

macnbc posted:

Is anyone legit excited for Syndicate at this point? About the most I've heard from anyone is "eh sure I guess I'll get it :shrug:"

I think Ubisoft should've taken a hint from Unity that the franchise really needs to take a year off.

I'll pick it up on sale I guess, once I know it isn't a broken, technical mess like Unity was. But the gameplay looks more or less the same stuff as Unity and that wasn't overly thrilling either. They probably couldn't let the franchise take a year or two off because Syndicate was probably in development for a few years too and possibly as soon as Assassin's Creed 3 was finished. It's not like you can take a year long break from making a game and then come back to it later.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'll pick it up on sale I guess, once I know it isn't a broken, technical mess like Unity was. But the gameplay looks more or less the same stuff as Unity and that wasn't overly thrilling either. They probably couldn't let the franchise take a year or two off because Syndicate was probably in development for a few years too and possibly as soon as Assassin's Creed 3 was finished. It's not like you can take a year long break from making a game and then come back to it later.

You can however delay it for a year to give it more time in the development oven for playtesting, QA, polish, etc.

You know, like they should've done with Unity last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I'm legit excited for Syndicate... I think if it properly iterates on Unity and shores up some of that game's weaknesses (opening the game up for some severe owns with the phrasing here) it could be the Black Flag to Unity's AC3. Evie rules and if they don't kill off Henry the cool handsome Indian Assassin in Sequence 9 I'll be surprised but willing to forgive a lot more. Apparently combat's been improved and they've been checking in with fans a lot on gameplay stuff. Maybe I'm just an optimist :shobon:

• Locked thread