Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Clifford is a Dadaist film. It's like one of those fake bad movies you see in other films or TV shows except it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

Imagine if you took the plot of Tootsie and added children to it.

I've never actually seen Tootsie, it did well on the AFI top 100 comedies of the 20th century list,. However Mrs Doubtfire was number 67, and I'm honestly surprised they could find 33 films that were less funny, so I'm not sure if I trust their ranking system.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I re-watched Tootsie this year, and it holds up and is still good.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Skwirl posted:

Even if you accept the premise, Mrs. Doubtfire is a really lovely movie.

Honestly almost all of Robin Williams' 90s "family" movies were lovely and grotesque, the only difference seemed to be whether they swung more towards wacky farce like Mrs. Doubtfire or cloying sentimentality like Jack or Bicentennial Man.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sleeveless posted:

Honestly almost all of Robin Williams' 90s "family" movies were lovely and grotesque, the only difference seemed to be whether they swung more towards wacky farce like Mrs. Doubtfire or cloying sentimentality like Jack or Bicentennial Man.

And in every one, there were several minutes of maudlin_robin_williams.jpeg

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
In Robin Williams mind, One Hour Photo was a comedy.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Clifford is a Dadaist film. It's like one of those fake bad movies you see in other films or TV shows except it's real.

All I've ever seen from Clifford is this clip https://youtu.be/UuFwIhKLsXM so based on the evidence available I have no choice but to assume the movie is VERY good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The great thing about Clifford is that it ends with Charles Grodin refusing the sincere apology of a child who has learned an important life lesson, and then abandoning that same child while calling him an inhuman thing. The grotesqueness of child Martin Short overshadows the wretched sadism of the plot, but they're really equal factors in making the film so repulsive.

It seems to make up part of a movement to make children's entertainment as vicious as possible, along with the Problem Child films that came out at about the same time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

In Robin Williams mind, One Hour Photo was a comedy.

This probably isn't true, but he was probably completely aware of how hosed up movies like Mrs. Doubtfire were.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

This probably isn't true, but he was probably completely aware of how hosed up movies like Mrs. Doubtfire were.

Yeah,but he was already rich at that point and probably had tons of options for roles, so why did he make that one?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Yeah,but he was already rich at that point and probably had tons of options for roles, so why did he make that one?

I'm not even sure the fact that the premise is totally hosed up is a mark against it. Like, it's basically a movie for kids and people who like dumb humor and like Robin Williams. The fact that it's actually hosed up and weird isn't really a big deal because it's not like actually endorsing the behavior, except tacitly by having the protagonist of a movie do it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snak posted:

I'm not even sure the fact that the premise is totally hosed up is a mark against it. Like, it's basically a movie for kids and people who like dumb humor and like Robin Williams. The fact that it's actually hosed up and weird isn't really a big deal because it's not like actually endorsing the behavior, except tacitly by having the protagonist of a movie do it.

And he "wins" and is rewarded for his incredibly hosed up behaviour. It's like Revenge of the Nerds basically. If a character does a majorly hosed up thing and is rewarded for it – with no commentary (like in Nightcrawler where the movie itself tells us that he is despicable) – then the movie basically condones their actions.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Snapchat A Titty posted:

And he "wins" and is rewarded for his incredibly hosed up behaviour. It's like Revenge of the Nerds basically. If a character does a majorly hosed up thing and is rewarded for it – with no commentary (like in Nightcrawler where the movie itself tells us that he is despicable) – then the movie basically condones their actions.

Are you saying Nightcrawler condones his actions?
Can a movie not show a slice of a hosed up characters life without condoning? I think you have to be able to leave it up to the audience at some point; even if the main reading is incorrect. Just like Wolf of Wall Street

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bows1 posted:

Are you saying Nightcrawler condones his actions?
Can a movie not show a slice of a hosed up characters life without condoning? I think you have to be able to leave it up to the audience at some point; even if the main reading is incorrect. Just like Wolf of Wall Street

I am saying that Nightcrawler does not condone Lou's actions. Read what I posted again.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
My parents let me see all kinds of horrible and inappropriate poo poo, and Clifford was still more upsetting than anything I can think of.

Also, of those ill-judged family comedy movies that Robin Williams made in the 90s, Patch Adams was the most obnoxiously cloying. Not only did he have that saccharin stomach turning tendency to try and make you feel warm and fuzzy, there almost always had to be scenes to showcase Robin doing his manic improv shtick. How many films did he suddenly start doing an elderly Jewish man voice for no reason? I feel like the only time it ever worked on film was in Aladdin.

And Jesus Christ, what was Coppola thinking when he directed Jack?

Also, Being Human was affecting in all of the worst, unintentional ways. I'm possibly the only person that saw it though. Only made 5% of its budget back.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heteroy posted:

My parents let me see all kinds of horrible and inappropriate poo poo, and Clifford was still more upsetting than anything I can think of.

Also, of those ill-judged family comedy movies that Robin Williams made in the 90s, Patch Adams was the most obnoxiously cloying. Not only did he have that saccharin stomach turning tendency to try and make you feel warm and fuzzy, there almost always had to be scenes to showcase Robin doing his manic improv shtick. How many films did he suddenly start doing an elderly Jewish man voice for no reason? I feel like the only time it ever worked on film was in Aladdin.

Also, Being Human was affecting in all of the worst, unintentional ways. I'm possibly the only person that saw it though. Only made 5% of its budget back.

Also it was a tremendous insult to the real Patch Adams, who despises it and whose genuine positive legacy will be forever tarnished by that manic piece of poo poo's poor judgment.

At least the real Oliver Sacks was on Radiolab a bunch so that people know more about him than Awakenings.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Seeing Patch Adams as a kid was the first time I ever felt personally affronted by a film.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
What are you guys talking about? Clifford is amazing. Complaining that Charles Grodin yells at a kid at the end is like saying Pee Wee's Big Adventure is irresponsible for letting a kid go on a cross country road trip by himself.

Actually both movies are thematically similar if not tonally. They're both about the singular focus of kids before they learn to empathize with the people around them so they exhibit sociopathic behavior to get what they want.

And both movies are hilarious.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Mrs. Doubtfire is basically about the American Dream. That you are entitled to lie, cheat, steal, and attempt murder to achieve what you feel you deserve.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Jack Gladney posted:

Also it was a tremendous insult to the real Patch Adams, who despises it and whose genuine positive legacy will be forever tarnished by that manic piece of poo poo's poor judgment.

At least the real Oliver Sacks was on Radiolab a bunch so that people know more about him than Awakenings.

I thought I was crazy for a moment, but Awakenings is Oliver Sacks, not Patch Adams.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jack Gladney posted:

I always felt bad for the lady that Dangerous Minds was based on because apparently that movie and the TV show spinoff torpedoed her career because she didn't own the rights or have creative control over what they had "her" saying and doing and people thought she was really doing things like taking her students to strip clubs as a fundraiser.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

KidVanguard posted:

What are you guys talking about? Clifford is amazing. Complaining that Charles Grodin yells at a kid at the end is like saying Pee Wee's Big Adventure is irresponsible for letting a kid go on a cross country road trip by himself.

Actually both movies are thematically similar if not tonally. They're both about the singular focus of kids before they learn to empathize with the people around them so they exhibit sociopathic behavior to get what they want.

And both movies are hilarious.

I nearly included that I had a similar intuition regarding connections between these two movies. They both feel sort of like creepy old carnival rides. With Clifford, though, you feel like the scary clown might try and touch you, while Pee Wee is content to play with himself.

I don't even think I can say which one is better, but I can say that Clifford piles on a much greater atmosphere of menace. I think, seeing it as a little kid I was probably confused that creepy Martin Short boy clearly wasn't supposed to be the good guy, but Grodin wasn't likable or relatable for a child to really get behind either.

I remember this had a funny review from Siskel & Ebert. They hated it and couldn't get past the creepiness of Short. Siskel said he made the mistake of taking a friend's kid to see it, and, aghast, Ebert said it would have been more appropriate to bring him to see The Good Son.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Heteroy posted:

Coppola's last gasps of greatness were The Godfather Part III and Bram Stoker's Dracula. I don't know what the gently caress happened to him after that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Timby posted:

Coppola's last gasps of greatness were The Godfather Part III and Bram Stoker's Dracula. I don't know what the gently caress happened to him after that.
Not after, before. Everything you need to know about what happened to Coppola's career can be learned by studying One from the Heart (1981).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Heteroy posted:

Francis Ford Coppola posted:

People feel the worst film I made was Jack. But to this day, when I get checks from old movies I've made, Jack is one of the biggest ones. No one knows that. If people hate the movie, they hate the movie. I just wanted to work with Robin Williams.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Timby posted:

In Godfather Part III Michael unironically says "we need to save the Pope" so I think those were just gasps sans greatness.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Dracula is pretty rad

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

EmmyOk posted:

In Godfather Part III Michael unironically says "we need to save the Pope" so I think those were just gasps sans greatness.

Godfather 3 is a decent movie with some good stuff in it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It is a terrible film and is in fact not decent at all. All the romance stuff is dreadful and also

EmmyOk posted:

In Godfather Part III Michael unironically says "we need to save the Pope"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For some reason you think that is a bad line.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A lot of the film seems very overblown and almost like a saturday morning cartoon, the helicopter attack and that line are prime offenders. The plot also felt far more out there and twisted than the previous films. By itself it probably would be not so bad but compared to the other two it fell flat because it just wasn't as good as well as not really fitting in with them as the final piece of the trilogy. Also that line is dreck.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
No it is wacky and goofy and therefore it is a very good line.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Take the over-the-top helicopter attack and Sofia Coppola out and I honestly think it's excellent. It's a gorgeous film and I love the political intrigue with the Vatican.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Plus, it gave us...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpVyMAlPBs

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I am saying that Nightcrawler does not condone Lou's actions. Read what I posted again.

Sorry! Was not in the right mind.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

Cool World is a typical 50 for me. I can't think of any emotions I had from watching it.

My 0s are films that I find morally wrong. They're cancerous to the art of cinema. The Princess Diaries, Mrs. Doubtfire, Patch Adams, Ghost Dad, and Nothing But Trouble to name a few.

3/5 of those are still worth seeing at least once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocS2GFICJoY

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
I saw Mrs. Doubtfire when it was released and had a definitively negative reaction to it. I wasn't even sure why. The reaction was visceral, and I didn't bother to analyze it except that if it had gone on for another ten minutes, I fear I would have thrown myself at the screen trying to claw my fingernails into Robin Williams's eyes. But the stuff folks have said here seem pretty spot on.

Now, then...am I the only one who had a similar reaction to Forrest loving Gump? Not that it was creepy in the same way, but it just seems terribly wrongheaded in a way I can't put my finger on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

No, that's definitely a valid reaction to Gump. Speaking of movies that discard the source novel, Zemeckis and company basically removed all the satirical elements from the original book to create a very narrow and nostalgia-drenched look at the Sixties and Seventies where anyone involved with any kind of social change or counter-culture is painted as a victimizer or a victim, and the dull-witted guy who just goes with the flow ends up leading a charmed life.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No, that's definitely a valid reaction to Gump. Speaking of movies that discard the source novel, Zemeckis and company basically removed all the satirical elements from the original book to create a very narrow and nostalgia-drenched look at the Sixties and Seventies where anyone involved with any kind of social change or counter-culture is painted as a victimizer or a victim, and the dull-witted guy who just goes with the flow ends up leading a charmed life.

That sounds about right. I recall a few years ago, someone on another forum (I don't remember where) posted the opinion that—and I paraphrase here—the message of the movie is that the way to get along in life is to be dumb and have no ambition. I liked it, but it didn't seem to quite sum up what I felt I wanted to object to. As far as the novel is concerned, I didn't read it. But if it's more satirical, I might be open to giving it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is certainly an interpretation, but it's like Newt Gingrich's reading.

Forrest is a "slow" man but he's not ignorant to his own condition. One of the most powerful scenes in the movie is when he meets his son for the first time and is worried that his son was as dumb as he was. Gump's character arc through the film is developing the capacity to express his emotions, especially to the one he's loved since high school (or before).

If they wanted to portray him as a simple Conservative fella who just Did Right™ there would've been numerous opportunities to do so that they didn't do (the speech at the Vietnam protest, for example).