Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm running a custom trade republic where the Hansa used to be, and I'd love to get some vassals, but of course over there they're all in the HRE. Other than going to war with them, is there way to vassalize any of them?

I don't really want to go to war with them, either, because them being in the HRE Austria will stomp my poo poo.

You're poo poo outta luck unless you can join the HRE, and even if you join you'll still have to forcibly vassalize most of them since as a merchant republic you get a penalty towards diplo-vassalization along with the penalty for your target being an HRE member (which still applies if you join).

The lack of royal marriages and various penalties make diplo-vassalization tough for a merchant republic, plus you're a non-HRE member with almost nowhere but the HRE to go.

Seriously just play regular Hansa. You can even do the trick where you culture swap and form Prussia, still, I'm pretty sure. A merchant republic with Prussian ideas... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
So I haven't played in a while and I'm going to do an achievement run, starting as France going for the Big Blue Blob achievement first. Is there any advice for someone who hasn't played in ~6 months? I figure the strategy is going to be going for Med to get to the Balkans and Scotland to get to Scandinavia then either push against Russia or Ottomans, depending on who is more available. Any other advice?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

fermun posted:

So I haven't played in a while and I'm going to do an achievement run, starting as France going for the Big Blue Blob achievement first. Is there any advice for someone who hasn't played in ~6 months? I figure the strategy is going to be going for Med to get to the Balkans and Scotland to get to Scandinavia then either push against Russia or Ottomans, depending on who is more available. Any other advice?

There have been an enormous amount of changes in the last six months, BBB is a very tough achievement to dip your feet into. But most people I have seen have gone the Scandinavia route since the provinces are cheap and there isn't much coalition risk.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Marenghi posted:

Just paid full price for this on Steam only a few days ago, is it possible to get a refund and buy this version instead?

No refunds on DLC.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Can you seize the last province from an OPM protectorate?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Roadie posted:

Can you seize the last province from an OPM protectorate?

no

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Poland is fighting with me against Denmark in Sweden's conquest war. If I declare war now, will Poland be able to join this war against the Hansa if the war against Denmark ends?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Poland is fighting with me against Denmark in Sweden's conquest war. If I declare war now, will Poland be able to join this war against the Hansa if the war against Denmark ends?

As long as the war you're in with Poland lasts longer than six months, they won't be able to be called in against you.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

firestruck posted:

As long as the war you're in with Poland lasts longer than six months, they won't be able to be called in against you.

Uh well my war with the Hansa went on for a year before the war with denmark ended. Poland still joined the war against me. Guess I can throw this prussia save in the trash.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Uh well my war with the Hansa went on for a year before the war with denmark ended. Poland still joined the war against me. Guess I can throw this prussia save in the trash.

Consider the fact that if you're relying on a shared war to keep someone from going to war with you, you're on a time table and they will eventually join.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

It's a defensive war for them, pretty sure they can join no matter the time frame.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Tsyni posted:

It's a defensive war for them, pretty sure they can join no matter the time frame.

That would've been nice to know. I guess I got off easy though since The Hansa only made me release Munster and Luneburg before Poland could really steamroll me. Still annoying though.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Man, creating a vassal persia as the Ottos is hilarious. ~300-400 development worth of reconquest at little to no effort. The only remotely challenging aspect is ensuring your vassal doesn't get enough defections to skyrocket their liberty desire.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cynic Jester posted:

Man, creating a vassal persia as the Ottos is hilarious. ~300-400 development worth of reconquest at little to no effort. The only remotely challenging aspect is ensuring your vassal doesn't get enough defections to skyrocket their liberty desire.

That whole part of the map is loving vassal gold, Iraq / Persia / Afghanistan have like 700 development of provinces between them

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cynic Jester posted:

The only remotely challenging aspect is ensuring your vassal doesn't get enough defections to skyrocket their liberty desire.
Does it even matter? I've never seen anyone support their independence even when LD was maxed out. I think it's because Persia is Shia and there's no other Shia country big enough to dare to challenge you.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

I've never had Persia rebel, but usually I vassalize Persia as part of a wc attempt, so I'm usually big.

It honestly seems kind of iffy to me for those countries to break away, fully formed like that. It seems like they should break away into dozens of squabbling OPM warlords and need to be unified through force/diplomacy.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Over at the multiplayer thread, we're still looking for people to fill in some gaps, and new people to introduce to the vast political intrigue of multiplayer. We play on Saturdays from 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM Eastern American time. The year is 1593, and the Europeans are just now beginning to exert their influence over Asia. There are still a few big countries in the west that we want to fill out, and there's a handful in southeast Asia with your name on it. If you're interested, head over to the multiplayer thread and let us know.

Meanwhile, here's a map of the world in the goon controlled world of 1593, and some very interesting data that we post after each session (green delineating countries in the Holy Roman Empire, which includes Byzantium :eyepop:):

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Perusa :helladid:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lori posted:

Over at the multiplayer thread, we're still looking for people to fill in some gaps, and new people to introduce to the vast political intrigue of multiplayer. We play on Saturdays from 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM Eastern American time. The year is 1593, and the Europeans are just now beginning to exert their influence over Asia. There are still a few big countries in the west that we want to fill out, and there's a handful in southeast Asia with your name on it. If you're interested, head over to the multiplayer thread and let us know.

Meanwhile, here's a map of the world in the goon controlled world of 1593, and some very interesting data that we post after each session (green delineating countries in the Holy Roman Empire, which includes Byzantium :eyepop:):

That's a rad call to arms.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
You guys don't want to lose prestige, do you?

Player map:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Let's say I wanted to colonize the Eastern Seaboard as the Ottomans. What would be the quickest way to make this happen? I'm doing it all for a stupid pun.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Fister Roboto posted:

Let's say I wanted to colonize the Eastern Seaboard as the Ottomans. What would be the quickest way to make this happen? I'm doing it all for a stupid pun.

Defend Granada, use that as a pretext to take the Canaries or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess that would work. I wouldn't be able to core the Canaries until dip 7, though I'd need that for colonization anyway.

e: also the latest patch made it so you can't take provinces that you can't core, right?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Fister Roboto posted:

I guess that would work. I wouldn't be able to core the Canaries until dip 7, though I'd need that for colonization anyway.

e: also the latest patch made it so you can't take provinces that you can't core, right?

In that case grab something off of Aragon first, e.g. Malta.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah grab Malta, The Baleres, and the Canaries then go to town. Please share screenshots once you have created your abomination great pun.

edit: If Portugal is involved: grab Madeira, the Azores, and Ceuta, too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Obliterati posted:

You guys don't want to lose prestige, do you?

Was going to backstab you and take your provinces soon anyway, sorry...not answering this call.

(I would but I can't play on Saturdays :()

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
It turns out Revoking the Privilegia is an excellent way to get One Family to Rule Them All and Black Jack. Sometimes you just need to load up a game in the HRE and do that, the vassal swarm is such a great stress reliever. With an Absolute Monarchy, a Commandant adviser, the level 3 Commandant's special event that gives you 10 discipline for 10 years, Full Quality, Espirit De Corps, and 5 discipline from your national ideas, you can get 135% Discipline. If you were Prussia/Brandenburg that'd go up to 137.5%. I wonder if it can get any higher through any other combination of events?

Node fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 7, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Node posted:

I wonder if it can get any higher through any other combination of events?

There's a couple of policies as well as a Protestant aspect that increase discipline. I wouldn't be surprised if 150% is somehow possible.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

I think there were patches between this and now that means this is no longer possible, though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Among other things that's before they halved Discipline pretty much across the board. It's also pre-Policies. That's pretty ancient.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I think there were patches between this and now that means this is no longer possible, though.

What the gently caress. It'd be like modern day marines with M16s and rocket launchers taking on platoons of Napoleonic Squares. That's obscene.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Most of the discipline buffs were halved a while ago.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Which means you could still get somewhere close to 150%.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bel Monte posted:

Cross posting from the crusader kings thread, Common Sense is $3.74 right now here: http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4547/Europa-Universalis-IV-Common-Sense/
You can pick up a cheap horse lords DLC there too for the same price if you like CKII.

Thanks for posting this!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Although back before the discipline re-work it only worked as an offensive modifier. Now it cuts both ways, in that high discipline means your guys do more damage and receive less damage in return.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That's also from back when the Swedish Military Reforms event gave you some rediculously huge stack of modifiers permanently.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabidWeasel posted:

That's also from back when the Swedish Military Reforms event gave you some rediculously huge stack of modifiers permanently.

Sweden still has some of the best events in the game and it's like, come on man.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Well, if you're like me and you haven't played EU4 in a long time and are missing almost all the DLC, you can get it all for a really good price with the Humble Store's create your own bundle. You can get everything for like 14 bucks if you get it up to the 5 game, 90% off tier.

EU4 Base+ DLC Collection+ Art of War Collection+ Common Sense Collection+ El Dorado Collection =$17

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/bundle/paradoxinteractive/

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 7, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Which means you could still get somewhere close to 150%.

Best you can get before event modifiers should be Protestant Prussia

Prussian NIs 7.5%
Protestant church aspect 2.5%
Absolute monarchy 5%
Adviser 5%
Offensive ideas 5%
Quality ideas 5%
Quality + Economic policy 5%
Quality + Religious policy 2.5%

sum total 137.5%

You can get another 10% from events for having a 3 skill Discipline adviser and maybe there are some other events as well. I would say above 120% is a LOT of Discipline, above 130% you're pushing the limit of what's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I started a game as Muscovy with a goal of racing to Westernize and to make it to the Pacific as fast as possible. I just annexed Danzig in 1533 and only have admin tech 8 :( In the East I just reached lake Baikal. Feeling pretty good about it. I went Exploration then Expansion and I am not regretting it. I converted Kasimov and freed Qasim and am now feeding them the steppes.

Pellisworth posted:

Best you can get before event modifiers should be Protestant Prussia

Prussian NIs 7.5%
Protestant church aspect 2.5%
Absolute monarchy 5%
Adviser 5%
Offensive ideas 5%
Quality ideas 5%
Quality + Economic policy 5%
Quality + Religious policy 2.5%

sum total 137.5%

You can get another 10% from events for having a 3 skill Discipline adviser and maybe there are some other events as well. I would say above 120% is a LOT of Discipline, above 130% you're pushing the limit of what's available.
I think the Ottomans may be able to equal that because they get 5% from their traditions and 5% from having the Janissaries.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 7, 2015

• Locked thread