Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rejutka posted:

Nope, glib. It's like people making another film out of the Mad Max franchise and everyone's on scooters.

I'm trying my drat best to make sense of this and its just not happening.

Are you secretly a gimmick account using a markov model to post? If so you just turing tested the poo poo out of us. If not please seek medical help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm trying my drat best to make sense of this and its just not happening.

Are you secretly a gimmick account using a markov model to post? If so you just turing tested the poo poo out of us. If not please seek medical help.

Nope but -

ElGroucho posted:

Let's all get mad that people disagree with our assessments of movies in the PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread

*Shrugs* Move on?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

John Big Booty posted:

It's not very good.

Star Trek in general? No loving poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

You keep using this word. I do think it means what you think it means.

Alternatively, just how autistic are you?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I'm curious, what exactly would JJ have had to do in order to fulfil your nebulous requirements to make a movie that is sufficiently "Star Trek"?

Also Into Darkness was complete poo poo, we can agree on that at least.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
gently caress me, just how many people are related to/suck off the teat of J J Abrams?

Glib - superficial, thoughtless, insincere resemblance the gently caress you want?

What the gently caress did I do to rear end to mouth your mother?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rejutka posted:

gently caress me, just how many people are related to/suck off the teat of J J Abrams?

Glib - superficial, thoughtless, insincere resemblance the gently caress you want?

What the gently caress did I do to rear end to mouth your mother?

lol, I didn't even like those movies. And I'm going to go ahead and check off "extremely/dangerously autistic" here on my sheet.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

rejutka posted:

Nope, glib. It's like people making another film out of the Mad Max franchise and everyone's on scooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qCj2Z_mph0

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EmmyOk posted:

content: I have started watching 24 and I really like the idea that each episode is an hour of real time in the show. However this is actually a lie as the episodes are only forty minutes.

24 would have been a much better show if every season wasn't about Jack loving Bauer. Like, it was a cool concept for season one, but switching to some other agent having a really lovely day for the next one would've been so much better.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Who What Now posted:

lol, I didn't even like those movies. And I'm going to go ahead and check off "extremely/dangerously autistic" here on my sheet.

Lol you sound like a neurotic retard yourself, but please continue with the armchair psychology.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dewgy posted:

24 would have been a much better show if every season wasn't about Jack loving Bauer. Like, it was a cool concept for season one, but switching to some other agent having a really lovely day for the next one would've been so much better.

That makes sense instead of everything happening to one guy. I am on season 1 still and it is pretty neat though that Tony guy is a real jerk. Jack's wife is pretty badass which I liked.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm not good at stopping terrible derails, but here's a really stupid complaint:

I hate the end of Black Sheep when Chris Farley gets his jacket caught in his father's private airplane. Just take the drat jacket off, you doofus. I get that it's supposed to be funny, but he's still hanging off the plane when it gets airborne; does he just die after the camera fades out to credits?

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

FELD1 posted:

I'm not good at stopping terrible derails, but here's a really stupid complaint:

I hate the end of Black Sheep when Chris Farley gets his jacket caught in his father's private airplane. Just take the drat jacket off, you doofus. I get that it's supposed to be funny, but he's still hanging off the plane when it gets airborne; does he just die after the camera fades out to credits?

There was never a sequel, so probably.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ernest Hemingway posted:

There was never a sequel, so probably.

He lands in Ohio, gets terrible amnesia, and is taken in by Brian Dennehy.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

My IIMM is that I misread the title as Mad Max Gokart Paintball War 40K, and there were no orks :orks:

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Aleph Null posted:

As much as I like that idea (read the Eugenics War series and you can see Gary and Kahn interact), Gary 7 was alive in the 1960s. How would they bring him forward?

In TOS he was a time traveler from the 24th century sent back terminator style to end a war against somebody who probably had a weird forehead. Since he was never mentioned again in the series they could have gone pretty much anywhere with it.

EmmyOk posted:

Star Trek is like all those old properties that are kind of silly but fans harp on about their artistic integrity. People complained that the new Ninja Turtles film was somehow an affront to their cartoon/comic about mutant ninja turtles that was made to sell toys. Kids loved the new TMNT film just like kids loved the old ones, adults who can't let go of childhood hated it.

I haven't seen the new Turtles movie, but the biggest complaint about Micheal Bay movies is that they aren't about the actual property. He just uses whatever franchise he's working on to deliver a love story about people that nobody cares about.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Throwing Turtles posted:

In TOS he was a time traveler from the 24th century sent back terminator style to end a war against somebody who probably had a weird forehead. Since he was never mentioned again in the series they could have gone pretty much anywhere with it.

That episode was the worst episode of the original series and just a back door pilot.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

rejutka posted:

I want to like Star Trek why is this excrement getting in the way of me liking Star Trek?

I agree, TOS is excrement that gets in the way of your enjoyment of the new movies. Good assessment rejutka!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irrationally irritating youtube moments: The gokarts obviously had a lot of effort put into them and look awesome. The war rig? Yeah let's put a plastic tank in the bed of a lovely Dodge Ram.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

EmmyOk posted:

Star Trek is like all those old properties that are kind of silly but fans harp on about their artistic integrity. People complained that the new Ninja Turtles film was somehow an affront to their cartoon/comic about mutant ninja turtles that was made to sell toys. Kids loved the new TMNT film just like kids loved the old ones, adults who can't let go of childhood hated it.

In all fairness TMNT was a total mess. It was basically 3 lovely movies cut up and stitched into one incoherent film. The thing that bugs me is that like the transformers movies, they decide to take the least interesting character and focus the entire movie around them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I only watched the first of the new Star Trek movies, but the thing I thought it did wrong was not make it about exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilisations and boldly going where no one has gone before. I don't like TOS and I've no idea how its movies stack up, but I also hated all the TNG movies for basically the same reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I only watched the first of the new Star Trek movies, but the thing I thought it did wrong was not make it about exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilisations and boldly going where no one has gone before. I don't like TOS and I've no idea how its movies stack up, but I also hated all the TNG movies for basically the same reason.

That's not their mission until the end of the movie though.

It's even the closing narration.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The old Star Trek movies had glittery aliens and I don't know what else because I didn't watch them. The new ones had car chases and explosions.

Pretty sure we know which ones are better.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Tiggum posted:

That applies to pretty much none of the movies, except maybe I and V, some of the worst Trek movies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not terribly invested in the startrekness of the new Star Trek movies*, but Simon Pegg is (co)writing this next one so I feel like it's gonna work out pretty alright either way.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not terribly invested in the startrekness of the new Star Trek movies*, but Simon Pegg is (co)writing this next one so I feel like it's gonna work out pretty alright either way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I liked Paul, though.

The other one I watched and it was so forgettable, I ... for got how it ends.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is a legitimately funny movie that also features Jason Bateman of all people cold-bloodedly shooting a motherfucker in the chest while driving.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is a legitimately funny movie that also features Jason Bateman of all people cold-bloodedly shooting a motherfucker in the chest while driving.

Yeah that character was cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inzombiac posted:

I liked Paul, though.

The other one I watched and it was so forgettable, I ... for got how it ends.

With him crossing the line after eight or so hours.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

EmmyOk posted:

Star Trek is like all those old properties that are kind of silly but fans harp on about their artistic integrity.

Audiences nowadays are insecure and loving terrified of liking anything perceived as "silly". "Silly" is not all Star Trek was either, but in the public consciousness Star Trek has been overwritten by the memes about it

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

hackbunny posted:

Audiences nowadays are insecure and loving terrified of liking anything perceived as "silly".

Guardians of the Galaxy, and to a lesser extent to Marvel franchise as a whole, is goofy as hell.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Are these supposed to be examples of bad movies?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Blast Fantasto posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy, and to a lesser extent to Marvel franchise as a whole, is goofy as hell.

But on the other hand we have DC Comics, who plan to grimdark the poo poo out of you.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've noticed Cinema Discusso seems to prefer their superhero films to be super nine eleveny and Batman's Shameful Secret tends more toward optimistic fun of the marvel stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I've noticed Cinema Discusso seems to prefer their superhero films to be super nine eleveny and Batman's Shameful Secret tends more toward optimistic fun of the marvel stuff.

BSS complains all the Marvel stuff is the same, and then complains that DC isn't more like Marvel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ignite Memories posted:

To be fair, as someone who hates the Man of Steel-Dawn of Justice poo poo, I can understand not liking superhero fight destruction being sanitized and handwaved.

Aphrodite posted:

BSS complains all the Marvel stuff is the same, and then complains that DC isn't more like Marvel.

All DC stuff is the same too, though. Marvel movies are formulaic while DC films are less cookie cutter but all Nolan-ish and grimdark.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's only one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Not if you count the previous Batman trilogy the current movies are desperately trying to be. I saw a headline that was like, "New Dawn of Justice pics show angry Superman, brooding Batman" and thought that's what the name of the movie should be, Angry Superman v Brooding Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked the dark reimaginings of stuff before they became the only type of film. Someone recently made a Power Rangers one where it's all dark and evil which was pretty dumb imho. I liked Man of Steel in a lot of ways but it was hard to buy their "he gives us hope and light" message when he bashed up all those buildings.