Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

ah gently caress it, please pay attention to me. I like it when people talk about me, good or bad. I'm a big big weenie about computer terms. And I mean terminology, not terminals, like old computers, ha ha. Ah gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone with a -30k post count is accusing me of attention whoring. That's loving hilarious.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you guys want internet bully other posters, someone in the Jimmy Pardo thread thinks that a C+ rating is bad. Heh. Friggin' dork.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

This thread is being pretty pants right now, let's swing it back to mustard.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

If you guys want internet bully other posters, someone in the Jimmy Pardo thread thinks that a C+ rating is bad. Heh. Friggin' dork.

oh cool I was wondering where the jimmy pardo thread was.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I don't get your Earwolf in-jokes, but I am willing to learn.

(larry miller was not a good ep)

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'm one of those freaks going through old episodes of stuff and holy poo poo I love the intro segment of the Ben Schwartz episode with engineer Sam

"Someone makes a powerful move when they want to assert being powerful

"And that's the only thing I could think of the whole time, was about Sam, thinking of Sam, killing him, hurting him"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Is cardboard on wolfpop any good?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not really. I mean, it's cute and Sommer is charming, but it's very light fare and his nervous energy isn't great when it's not pointed at something specific.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
New Hollywood Handbook today and I already love it by just reading the title of the episode

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's a good episode but weird that there are 15 minutes of ads in the first 17 minutes

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That's Earwolf's thing now. And yeah, I was even getting fatigued by a Hollywood Handbook ad, which I thought could never happen. I didn't send up skipping it because it was still funny though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

feedmyleg posted:

Not really. I mean, it's cute and Sommer is charming, but it's very light fare and his nervous energy isn't great when it's not pointed at something specific.

I listened to half of the first episode this morning and yeah... Not great. Sommer seems a little overwhelmed and has a lot of ideas that don't go as far as he wants them to. I'm willing to stick with it for a while to see if it gets better but it looks like there's been a huge hiatus since the last one.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

UP AND ADAM posted:

That's Earwolf's thing now. And yeah, I was even getting fatigued by a Hollywood Handbook ad, which I thought could never happen. I didn't send up skipping it because it was still funny though.

Problem is that they reuse the Wolfman Jack ad and it's pretty long!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Cloks posted:

I listened to half of the first episode this morning and yeah... Not great. Sommer seems a little overwhelmed and has a lot of ideas that don't go as far as he wants them to. I'm willing to stick with it for a while to see if it gets better but it looks like there's been a huge hiatus since the last one.

Ya, he's given up on the show it seems. I really wanted to like it, listened to most episodes, but ya, very nervous energy.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Scott's ad reads are so goofy because of the word association game that's constantly running in his mind. Like, he'll get hung up on a word he's just said and try to make something out of it and then have to do DECLARATIVE AD COPY TALKING POINT to get himself back on track :v:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Mr. Squishy posted:

Problem is that they reuse the Wolfman Jack ad and it's pretty long!
Yeah, that's the only downside, their ads are the loving best and honestly part of the show imo, but it hinges on them being unique to the episode...which is a tall order, but (one of the reasons) why HH rules

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Does anyone listen to Maltin on Movies? I eventually gave up on it despite enjoying Maltin himself because the co-host was so boring and only agreed with everything. Just wondering if it ever got any better.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

MY ABACUS! posted:

Does anyone listen to Maltin on Movies? I eventually gave up on it despite enjoying Maltin himself because the co-host was so boring and only agreed with everything. Just wondering if it ever got any better.

I also gave up on it because of Boring Vaughn.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a good episode but weird that there are 15 minutes of ads in the first 17 minutes

Yeah this was actually hosed up. I just skipped all of it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"Speaking of fifteen million dollars, how's Howl going?"

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I thought the same thing, but the rest of the episode was a total Snüs-fest.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

seriously this is an all-time ep of hollywood handbook

"So, watch 'Way of the Gun', which is probably on Amazon... or Howl?"

cams fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 8, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

MY ABACUS! posted:

The sad thing is that Baron Vaughn is actually a really great stand-up. Saw him on Saturday and he crushed. But I listened to the first 15 eps of Maltin On Movies and I don't think he made one joke. That's the whole reason you're the co-host!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Cloks posted:

Is cardboard on wolfpop any good?

If you are already obsessed with board games like I am, then yes. It's very good. It's the best board game podcast there ever was.

If you're not interested in board games at all... then no, not really. He has some good stories, but the focus is squarely on board games.

(And BTW, it took him a few episodes to find his feet, just like most podcasts.)

If anyone is interested, the Nate Corddry episode was very good, and it turns out that his game obsession is very specific and very nerdy even by niche board game standards, which is really saying something.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Cloks posted:

it looks like there's been a huge hiatus since the last one.

Yeah, in the last episode, Rich said that it was more work than he expected and he got busy with other things, so he was taking an indefinite break. I hope it comes back, maybe with a cohost who can do most of the pre-show work.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MY ABACUS! posted:

I was enjoying the first 10 episodes or so, but then I realized that they never really said anything that interesting about the movies. Every once in a while there might be an ok point, but it never really went any deeper than this was a cool movie.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The sad thing is that Baron Vaughn is actually a really great stand-up. Saw him on Saturday and he crushed. But I listened to the first 15 eps of Maltin On Movies and I don't think he made one joke. That's the whole reason you're the co-host!

Respect capture. For some reason, being in a room with Maltin makes for Respectful Vaughn. BV is fine on other shows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I like that they are both very knowledgeable about films. That's about it.

At least with The Canon the hosts have personalities, opinions, and attempt to discuss the films from different angles and perspectives. Even if some of that can be to its detriment at times, it's at least interesting and has a premise beyond "hey let's talk about a few loosely connected movies this week" once you get beyond the first argumentative/insulting/contrarian episodes. The versus episodes are the best, they should do more of those.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

feedmyleg posted:

At least with The Canon the hosts have personalities

let's not say things we can't take back

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Homework Explainer posted:

let's not say things we can't take back

I only listened to the first episode but it's a masterclass in what a horrible podcast should be.

Dude: Goodfellas is so good!!!!!!!!!!!
Lady: Uh, actually, it's not because the August 20th 1990 issue of The Star Ledger quotes a member of the Italian Anti-Defemation League who says its portrayal of Italians is racist.
Dude: That's so stupid!!!!! The movie is amazing!!!!!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I, personally, do not like Clod Dockerspants on HH and wish he'd go back to his stupid old CBB where he belongs

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

in before someone says "ehh... wrong" to me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Aassimilate

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
Hardcore Game of Thrones is fantastic and a must listen for any GoT and HH fan. Dude does a spot on Carlin.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Hollywood Handbook is the penultimate sum of mankind's combined greatness and we are all better for it.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
OK, but what is the last sum of mankind's combined greatness?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

The previous CSOMG (combined sum of mankind's greatness) was Reality Show Show

but before that we just wandered in darkness, an unending sorrow and apathy plaguing our existence. No purpose lived.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I remember when they switched over (two years ago :() and most everyone was down on the new show, but I'm pretty sure HH has achieved greater heights than RSS. I'm glad they keep getting their podcast paid for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just got around to listening to the Pauly Shore episode last night. I kinda felt bad for him at first because he was so obviously clueless and a bit uncomfortable with being there, but he was enough of a prick about things for that to go away pretty quickly. Really great ep all around, what with Sean getting called a homo and Hayes' explanation of The Popcorn Gallery, but Engineer Cody Cody definitely stole the show.