Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Xun posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask buuuttt

I'm a poor college student and my roomates bought a bunch of frozen chicken breast. Anyone have some recipe suggestions? I'm not looking for anything super fancy but I'm tired of eating sad, bland, white chicken cubes. :v:

Brine the whole breast with salt/lime/tiny bit of vinegar/dill/¿maybe soy sauce? then either cook on the grill or sear and bake. Let it rest, throw it into wraps/sandwiches/eat with some kind of sauce on the side/w/e.

As much poo poo is it gets, chicken titty is pretty versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

I really love red braised chicken breast. I tend to add a bit of bacon to the sauce,though. Generally bacon goes really well with chicken breast.

You can also make schitzel from chicken breast.

I'm pretty sure I make schitzel from everything I eat.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How confident are you at shallow frying? Because I made these recently, and they turned out loving delicious. It calls for chicken thighs, but you can use breasts if you let them sit in the brine a bit on the longer side.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That looks fantastic, but I'm always afraid that hot oil in my dutch oven is going to either smokescreen me, or burst into flames Masaokis style. Probably why my carnitas never come up super crisp at the end, but rather burnt to the bottom of the pan.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Partycat posted:

That looks fantastic, but I'm always afraid that hot oil in my dutch oven is going to either smokescreen me, or burst into flames Masaokis style. Probably why my carnitas never come up super crisp at the end, but rather burnt to the bottom of the pan.

Grab yourself a cheap-rear end meat thermometer. Ideally, it should have a little clip for holdijg it on the side of the pan, and little temperature ranges on it for the various meats as well as deep frying. You can use an analogue one, and it should cost like $6. I fried mine in a cast iron pan, and had no issues because as soon as the oil got halfway through the "deep fry" temperature range, I turned the heat down. Other than that, use canola, vegetable, peanut, or safflower oil for frying like this, since the smoke point is pretty high with all of those. I used canola and the oil never smoked at all.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Chicken breast needs a sauce.

Stirfry (all you need is dark soy, light soy, oyster sauce, vinegar or shoaxing wine, white pepper, green onion, garlic, chicken stock, cornflour/starch and optional chilli. Plus stir fry veg like carrot, celery, broccoli, snow peas or beans)
Slice and marinate the chicken, fry, fry veg, simmer in stock, add more sauce. Serve with fried noodles for chicken chow mien, boiled noodles for chicken lo mien, serve with rice for hunan chicken.

Curries: malay curry, thai red, green, yellow or massaman curry. Curries have a longer cook time so thighs are prefered but can use breast if you use less liquid and a shorter cook time.
Same goes for indian curry recipes like rogan josh, tikka masala, korma chicken

Grilled chicken and veg plus sauce
I like doing a tomato sauce with kalamata olives like a cacciatore. Serve with veg or pasta.
Can precook the chicken and throw it into a pomodoro (simple light tomato sauce), primavera, aglio e olio or a nice lemon and garlic sauce, or even a risotto.
I also like messing around with some poulet a l'estragon recipes, or making a bell pepper based sauce like poulet basquaise.

Make some easy sauces like honey and mustard or a creamy mushroom sauce to serve on grilled chicken. Or a herb sauce or salsa.

There's also a recipe out in the wiki for chicken masala that's interesting to try if you have chicken breasts.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chicken_Marsala

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 6, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

neogeo0823 posted:

Grab yourself a cheap-rear end meat thermometer. Ideally, it should have a little clip for holdijg it on the side of the pan, and little temperature ranges on it for the various meats as well as deep frying. You can use an analogue one, and it should cost like $6. I fried mine in a cast iron pan, and had no issues because as soon as the oil got halfway through the "deep fry" temperature range, I turned the heat down. Other than that, use canola, vegetable, peanut, or safflower oil for frying like this, since the smoke point is pretty high with all of those. I used canola and the oil never smoked at all.

Thermometer is definitely the way to go. Good advice.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah I presume he's talking about that big ol' square goober you can get with the probe.

I did a curry yesterday, and aside from having to grab a can of coconut milk, it came out okay. Not really any spice to it despite throwing Anaheim peppers and chili powder... oh and those wacky dried Indian chilis into the sauce to simmer. However, it was pretty easy to do. Garlic and onion are staples, and now I have a sack of turmeric and cardamom or what ever else to try this experiment again.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Why are Pinterest meals either inedibly healthy #paleo #raw treebark or chicken and canned soup with cheese vomit?

I've found a few things, but Jesus it is one or the other.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
chicken breasts are insanely expensive in england and bad for poor people on a budget. are they cheap in the US?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

chicken breasts are insanely expensive in england and bad for poor people on a budget. are they cheap in the US?

Less expensive than beef but more expensive than any other cut of chicken. Sometimes by nearly 2x the price.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Eponine posted:

Why are Pinterest meals either inedibly healthy #paleo #raw treebark or chicken and canned soup with cheese vomit?

I've found a few things, but Jesus it is one or the other.

Don't use Pinterest. My wife uses Pinterest and none of the food looks good at face value. It can sometimes be ok if you're using it for inspiration, but never follow whatever the actual recipe is. For my recipes, I have a few places I go to. Primarily, I'll go to Budget Bytes, and Allrecipes, and secondarily to Food Network, and Food.com, and Epicurious. If I can't find something good at those places, I'll google around for things from other websites. Those sites are, of course, not exhaustive, and I don't guarantee the healthiness or edibility of the recipes they have, but they've been pretty good to me overall, and really, a good bit of common sense goes a long way.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 6, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seconding Budget Bytes, just make sure you take a critical look at amounts of liquid author suggests.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Jose posted:

Most butchers around here will do 5KG of chicken breast for £20 of course at that price they aren't going to be free range.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

kalstrams posted:

Seconding Budget Bytes, just make sure you take a critical look at amounts of liquid author suggests.

I've not rally had a problem with liquids, but yeah, always double check every recipe against your better judgement. When in doubt, try it exactly as it's written, then modify to taste. This rule does not apply to spices and seasonings though. For example, The first time I tried to make Cacio e pepe(not this recipe, can't find my original), the recipe ended up calling for WAY too much pepper. Like, double what it actually needed. Thankfully, I kinda figured that out when i looked at it and went "Hmm, that doesn't seem right".

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Don't use Pinterest. My wife uses Pinterest and none of the food looks good at face value. It can sometimes be ok if you're using it for inspiration, but never follow whatever the actual recipe is. For my recipes, I have a few places I go to. Primarily, I'll go to Budget Bytes, and Allrecipes, and secondarily to Food Network, and Food.com, and Epicurious. If I can't find something good at those places, I'll google around for things from other websites. Those sites are, of course, not exhaustive, and I don't guarantee the healthiness or edibility of the recipes they have, but they've been pretty good to me overall, and really, a good bit of common sense goes a long way.

I think allrecipes.com isn't a great resource, I've seen some really awful recipes there and food.com. lots of pulled chicken breast and canned soup monstrosities and ketchup-based pad Thai over there. There are a few things that are good from there but they are among a lot of crap.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Nicol Bolas posted:

I think allrecipes.com isn't a great resource, I've seen some really awful recipes there and food.com. lots of pulled chicken breast and canned soup monstrosities and ketchup-based pad Thai over there. There are a few things that are good from there but they are among a lot of crap.

Well, yeah, that'll happen when you have a site that is over 99% user generated content. That's why I say use your judgement. A good amount of it is trash, but there's some gems in there if you sort by rating/popularity and then take a look at the top few that come up.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Chicken breast gets to $1.49/lb on occasion, but thighs, legs, whole are going to be cheaper. Depending on how much you want to eat or what you are doing with it, the extra money can be worth saving some prep time, but that doesn't fall within the purview of value when you're talking cutting a couple of breast over several meals.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every review on allrecipes:

"I replaced the pancetta with spam and the eggs with nacho cheese sauce. I'm on a low carb diet, so instead of spaghetti, I slammed my dick in the door. Did not enjoy. 2 stars"

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Gaz2k21 posted:

Most butchers around here will do 5KG of chicken breast for £20 of course at that price they aren't going to be free range.

Google conversions gets me $30 for 11 lbs of chicken breast, so ~$2.75/lb. That's about right for the US, for boneless, fresh, non-free-range chicken breast. Free range is double that or more, bone-in is half that (not free range), at least around me. Sale prices run a bit less, meat departments tend to be loss leaders in getting customers into the store.

Interesting to see how things compare. Do you have to buy that volume to get that price, or is that just an example of British folk bein obtuse and I should be thankful you didn't express it in hogsheads or stone or something?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
If I'm planning to eat a lot of chicken, I normally buy 2x whole chickens @ $4 Australian per kg. That gives me 4x thighs for 1 meal for 4 serves, 4x breasts for 2 meals for 4 serves, and 4x drumsticks and wings to roast for 1 meal for 4 serves.

If I'm lucky and it's in stock, I can buy a 2kg bag of frozen pieces for $4, there's often some breast meat in that bag because they don't cheap out and fill them just with wings.

Regular chicken breasts are $14/kg though, with thighs being $11/kg. If I'm not planning to eat a lot of chicken that fortnight or the freezer is already to full with precooked meals/leftovers or other meat, I will buy either of them - just 400-700g.
But it seems breasts are nearly always on sale @$9/kg, and thighs never seem to go on sale.
So even though I cook on a budget, I often end up with chicken breasts.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 7, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I eat almost no chicken because of the expense of quality birds and the rarity of birds for butcher. When we do get them we make a nice roast whole chicken.

What I DO do is pick up a bunch of turkeys after Thanksgiving to eat throughout winter, and in the fall the ducks and geese fall from the sky, so to speak, but that's about it for poultry in our diet. But if you don't mind not having chicken all the time it's not bad - makes it taste better when you do have it.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
Hey all, yesterday I bought pork shoulder steaks cause they were super cheap and I wanted to switch things up from chicken. Is anything I should know about how to cook these for maximum goodness? Usually, I cook my meat to be versatile enough to be used in an a assortment of things over the course of the week. I don't have a grill. Any quick suggestions before I wing it? I have an electric skillet, cast iron skillets, non-stick pans, and a crock pot for reference on the tools available to me.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Shoulder steaks are odd and I don't know why people buy them. Pork shoulder should be slow-cooked, and steak cuts are meant to be cooked quickly.

I'd do shredded pork in the crock pot, if it were me. Being cut into steaks rather than a roast won't change anything much.

Here's a super basic version:
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pulled_pork

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

Google conversions gets me $30 for 11 lbs of chicken breast, so ~$2.75/lb. That's about right for the US, for boneless, fresh, non-free-range chicken breast. Free range is double that or more, bone-in is half that (not free range), at least around me. Sale prices run a bit less, meat departments tend to be loss leaders in getting customers into the store.

Interesting to see how things compare. Do you have to buy that volume to get that price, or is that just an example of British folk bein obtuse and I should be thankful you didn't express it in hogsheads or stone or something?

Free range boneless skinless chicken breast is about the same price as steak in most supermarkets at about £15/kg. It drops to like £5/kg for non-free range. You can buy a whole free range chicken for the price of 2 free range chicken breasts usually

Pork is really cheap though no matter what cut you buy.

As someone who basically never eats turkey, how much meat do you normally get off a whole leg? They're pretty cheap but I don't know if the large amount of weight is mostly inedible

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Jose posted:

Free range boneless skinless chicken breast is about the same price as steak in most supermarkets at about £15/kg. It drops to like £5/kg for non-free range. You can buy a whole free range chicken for the price of 2 free range chicken breasts usually

Pork is really cheap though no matter what cut you buy.

As someone who basically never eats turkey, how much meat do you normally get off a whole leg? They're pretty cheap but I don't know if the large amount of weight is mostly inedible

Think of turkey legs as upscaled chicken legs, with the exception of a couple of hard slivers of connective tissue calcified tendons you'll have to be aware of and remove after cooking.

Took me a minute to find what those were. Discussion link:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=742027

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

TheNothingNew posted:

Shoulder steaks are odd and I don't know why people buy them. Pork shoulder should be slow-cooked, and steak cuts are meant to be cooked quickly.

I'd do shredded pork in the crock pot, if it were me. Being cut into steaks rather than a roast won't change anything much.

Here's a super basic version:
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pulled_pork

Whenever I get pork steaks, I do a chinese dish, or vietnamese pork chilli and mint recipe. Or marinate in buttermilk or straight out braise them in milk, or pound them out and do a breaded "country fry" style recipe with lemon and thyme. E: Or pork adobo

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 7, 2015

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Chicken must be super cheap in my area, because these prices seem pretty high. I mostly prefer to buy my chicken whole ( $1.29/lb ), though one grocery chain in the area does fresh chicken breast out of the butcher's case for $1.99/lb. And the whole chickens do sometimes go on sale for cheaper.

So even if they aren't on sale, I can break down two whole chickens around five to six pounds each into four chicken breasts, four leg quarters, and one pack each of tenderloins (4) and wing drummettes (8). Plus a couple quarts of excellent homemade chicken stock, all for about 15 dollars.

The local ethnic markets aren't usually any cheaper for meat, though the selection of unusual cuts ( Beef, uh, fries ) and type ( Goat meat! ) make up for it. They do, however, have by FAR the best prices on spices and produce, as around here things like scallions are like 89 cents a bundle, whereas the Super G has them for 2/1.00.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

Think of turkey legs as upscaled chicken legs, with the exception of a couple of hard slivers of connective tissue calcified tendons you'll have to be aware of and remove after cooking.

Took me a minute to find what those were. Discussion link:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=742027

I had no idea. My parents never get turkey for christmas so I rarely ever eat it and usually have breast meat when I do. Thanks for that

Would much needed to be done if the legs were used for a stew?

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 7, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jose posted:

I had no idea. My parents get turkey for christmas so I rarely ever eat it and usually have breast meat when I do. Thanks for that

Would much needed to be done if the legs were used for a stew?

Are you cooking the bird then using the leftovers for stew, or throwing whole raw drumsticks in? If the former, carve the bulk of the meat off the drumstick and reserve, then make stock from the bones/cartilage/bits you don't want to eat. Add carved meat to stew at end.

If the later, I'd reccomend this peice of reading http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/stewed-turkey-with-herbs-and-onions-235929

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Kafka Esq. posted:

Two sirloin steaks of a decent size would be easily thirty dollars here. One if the reasons the anova I got for free is still sitting in the packaging.

Eggs.

Also you can cook a cheaper cut of meat like chuck at 130/131 F for 24+ hours and get tender but med rare chuck.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mich posted:

Eggs.

Also you can cook a cheaper cut of meat like chuck at 130/131 F for 24+ hours and get tender but med rare chuck.

This. Eggs and I do some Top Round cuts that my store markets as "London Broil" for some reason and sell for about $3-4 per lb and sous vide great at 133F for 4-6h.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

This. Eggs and I do some Top Round cuts that my store markets as "London Broil" for some reason and sell for about $3-4 per lb and sous vide great at 133F for 4-6h.

London Broil is amazing and has been, for a very long time, my favorite steak. My mom and dad make it perfectly. It's a big slab of top round that you marinate in MOM'S VERY SECRET MARINADE that's probably just italian dressing, worcestershire and soy sauce.Then you grill it quick and rare, slice it thin across the grain. That was the only way we ever had steak when I was growing up (I am so super spoiled).

The only problem with our love of London Broil is that dad tries to cook every steak that way, by marinating the hell out of it first. No dad, you don't have to marinate a New York Strip. Please put the italian dressing back.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 8, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

London Broil is amazing and has been, for a very long time, my favorite steak. My mom and dad make it perfectly. It's a big slab of top round that you marinate in MOM'S VERY SECRET MARINADE that's probably just italian dressing, worcestershire and soy sauce.Then you grill it quick and rare, slice it thin across the grain. That was the only way we ever had steak when I was growing up (I am so super spoiled).

The only problem with our love of London Broil is that dad tries to cook every steak that way, by marinating the hell out of it first. No dad, you don't have to marinate a New York Strip. Please put the italian dressing back.

Cool, thanks for the info. I typically sousvide mine with some worcestershire and/or soy sauce in the bag and then dry / quickly crisp the outside in a little butter in a hot skillet and it comes out just about fork tender most always. Really nice most of the time and way cheaper than other typical steak cuts.

How long do they marinade for? Might try to prep it that way next time just to compare the techniques.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Fo3 posted:

...Regular chicken breasts are $14/kg though, with thighs being $11/kg...

I don't know which part of Australia you're in but in Melbourne a local butcher (particularly if they're Halal or Asian) should have chicken at half that price.

The supermarkets here charge so much for meat, I don't know why anyone buys from them instead of going to a proper butcher.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The only butchers near where I live charge more than supermarkets. Most of them cater to the gourmet high quality side of things.
There's a few butchers around in Perth cheaper, but they are too far away to be economically viable.
I don't buy my meat from coles or woolworths unless it's on sale though. I don't eat meat every meal, so that's not a big deal to me.
Managed to get 500g lamb mince from coles for $4 (reduced), and 900g chuck from spud shed for $7 (also reduced). That will be the only meat I have this fortnight.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 8, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I can buy boneless, skinless chicken breast 3 ways:

Fresh from the butcher for $1.99 or so a pound. I cook for one so I rarely do this option.

Individually quick frozen for about $2.99 a pound. Usually a 3lb bag for $8.99/$9.99. Convenient because I can pull out 1-2 at a time.

Packaged from the big farms (Tyson, Perdue) for $3.99/lb. Usually use a whole pack of these at once (1-2lbs)

I rarely buy a whole bird. I can get it already cooked at the grocery story (rotisserie style) for the same price. If I buy a whole one I roast it anyways, very rarely do I break it all up etc.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

How long do they marinade for? Might try to prep it that way next time just to compare the techniques.

2 hours at the least, 8 if you can stick it in the fridge in the morning. Just don't forget the ZESTY ITALIAN. Or just a home made Italian dressing of olive oil, basalmic, crushed garlic, several red pepper flakes ( don't want to go too ZESTY), basil and oregano. Then some Lea and Perrin's and decent soy sauce. All in a zip lock bag, just enough marinade to get it to stick everywhere, don't drown it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Xun posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask buuuttt

I'm a poor college student and my roomates bought a bunch of frozen chicken breast. Anyone have some recipe suggestions? I'm not looking for anything super fancy but I'm tired of eating sad, bland, white chicken cubes. :v:

Brine in, well, brine (salt and water, nothing else) for an hour or so. If you want to splurge, soak it in buttermilk for an hour or so.

In a freezer bag mix up some flour, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika. Put your brineded chicken parts, on at a time, in the bag and shake the poo poo out of it. Alternately, you can mix the breading up in a bowl and smoosh your chicken parts into them.

Fill a pan 1/2-1 inch full (ideally, enough to cover the chicken parts completely, but that much oil costs money) of shortening (if you're broke, vegetable oil will work). Heat that poo poo up until it is ready to fry, that is, if you drop something in ti, it immediately sizzles up good.

Drop your breaded chick tit into the oil or shortening (average pan can pr'lly hold 3 or four comfortably). Flip it over after a few minutes then flip it over again then probably one last time. You want to get the chicken fully cooked, and you want the breading browned, but not burnt. Use a test piece, after maybe 10 minutes of frying and flipping, pull one out, slice it open and see if it looks done (done for chicken breast is all white, no pink). If it does not look done, make an educated guess as to how much longer it and its brethren need to cook. Try that duration and test again. Err on the side of overcooking as you can't really overcook chicken. When they're done, pull your pieces out, towel off the oil, let them cool for a few minutes and eat them.

Chicken in cream/Marsala sauce over pasta is also good. It's not exactly cheap but, ehnn..

Skin and bone your chicken breasts.

Slice up some carrots

Optionally, slice up an onion

Melt a stick of butter into a pan (medium heat, butter burns easily)

Crank up the heat, toss your carrots and chicken (and onion if you want it) into the pan.

Toss in some salt.

Saute that poo poo until it's nicely browned. You do this by cooking over high heat, using plenty of lube (butter in this case) and flipping/stirring fairly frequently. If the chicken was previously frozen, it will probably dispel a lot of water. This needs to be drained by putting a knife over the edge of the pan and carefully draining the liquid into the sink.

Once your carrots and chicken have browned, pour in about a cup of marsala wine (you can use cream/sweet sherry as well).

Stir everything around and let the wine cook down some.

Slowly pour in a container of heavy cream, stir constantly to prevent curdling.

Lower the heat to a simmer. Probably add a little more salt, some black pepper, maybe some thyme. If you want to put a bay leaf or two in, don't do it now, you should've done it when you first added the wine.

Simmer for a little while. The longer it simmers (up to about an hour) the better it will be, but if you're hungry now, pull it when you can wait any longer.

Server over noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

its no big deal posted:

2 cups  flour
1/2 cup  sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients and combine gently. Do not over mix. Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing onto wire rack to cool.

I made this yesterday, and it was simple and delicious. Exactly what I was craving to have with soup or tea.

FWIW, because the recipe didn't specify I used bread flour, and it worked great. I also used salted butter and it didn't hurt anything. Next time the only thing I would change is spraying my hands with canola oil before I handle the dough, because it's super sticky.

Anybody on the fence about making this totally should.

---

I also tried a new slow cooker meal yesterday that went really well. It's basically this recipe here: (http://www.popsugar.com/food/Slow-Cooker-White-Beans-Tomatoes-Pancetta-36740436), but with the overpriced ingredients replaced with normal ones.

Put into your crock pot:

-8oz dried white beans (I used great northern)
-bay leaf
-some garlic cloves, minced
-2 chopped sweet onions, medium sized
-1 14oz can of peeled tomatoes, crushed
-some thyme (I used like 3 sprigs? Dried to taste would work fine too)
-4 cups water
-4 tablespoons olive oil
-3 or 4 pieces of chopped up bacon

Let it cook on high for about 6 hours, then add some salt and pepper to taste. Let is do its thing for another hour or two, then enjoy. After I put mine in a bowl I poured some extra olive oil it and shaved some parmesan on top, which was really tasty.

FWIW The author of the original recipe also suggests throwing in a parmesan rind at the start, which does get really melty and delicious in the slow cooker...but is frankly an unnecessary expense unless you have it around and doesn't make that much change to the overall flavor.

It made enough to feed myself, husband, and grandparents. Left enough for some lunch too. Not bad!

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 14, 2015