Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

I've been having trouble today downloading too. I finally got the one I want to read going though, but it's slow going.

EDIT: BULLSHIT! The issue I was trying to download finished, still won't let me read it because the app says it's not done, even though all the pages finished downloading.

Have you reported it to the support team at comixology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Think this is an issue I had a few weeks back if it's not showing in the purchased list, basically turn it off and on, i.e. log out of the app then log in again.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How long does it take for prices to drop from 3.99 to 1.99 for Marvel books?

I'm missing Secret Avengers 8 which is about 8 months old but still full price.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

hadji murad posted:

AFAIK Marvel books don't really see permanent price drops

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

hadji murad posted:

It takes about a year. They don't work like other publishers who drop prices for single issues, they usually drop the price of entire arcs for a given series.
Typically, looking at recently reduced Marvel books, I see Captain Marvel #1-5. That's from spring/summer last year.

I assume this is all because they don't want to be in a situation where their digital trades cost more than separate issues.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Valiant has an insanely good deal on "Groupees" (which I've never heard of).

Related, you can't import outside CBRs into the Comixology app, can you?

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

zoux posted:

Valiant has an insanely good deal on "Groupees" (which I've never heard of).

Related, you can't import outside CBRs into the Comixology app, can you?

Good deal indeed. It's essentially the Valiant Humble Bundle with more stuff in it. I might buy just for the X-O trades beyond Volume 3, as that's where the Humble Bundle stopped.

And no, you can't import non-CMX books into Comixology. In an ideal world, bundles would give you Comixology codes, like games do with Steam, but sadly I don't see that happening.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not a huge deal, it's just more that I'd rather have all my stuff on one app or library than fractured between my loose CBR reader, Comixology and Kindle.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Bought the Groupees bundle and amateurish doesn't begin to describe it:
- some X-O trades are PDF only, no CBZ.
- they actually loving zipped their CBZ files. That makes them unusable when directly downloaded on an iPad while having zero benefit for anyone - zipping a zip file is useless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can you unzip the zipped files that didn't need to be zipped in the first place? Also most comics readers do PDFs right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Comixology have announced that Weekly Shonen Jump is now available in English on the same day as the physical release in Japan. So, that's nice.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Kins posted:

Comixology have announced that Weekly Shonen Jump is now available in English on the same day as the physical release in Japan. So, that's nice.

Yeah it's actually been like that for 2+ years now but you've had to subscribe directly through their website. It's only like $25 a year but it's not the same magazine they put out in Japan. Only certain series come over. I assume you can now get individual issues through comixology as well? That would be nice because WSJ's interface on tablets is terrible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I assume none of the issues are good staring points or have one-and-done stories.
200something pages for $1 seems like a bargain, but I'll just go back to ignoring manga :)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I assume none of the issues are good staring points or have one-and-done stories.
200something pages for $1 seems like a bargain, but I'll just go back to ignoring manga :)

They have new series pretty consistently, but if you want to enjoy an ongoing, you pretty much have to go and read it from the beginning. It's not great for new readers but it's a great alternative for people who want to support series instead of reading scanlations.
There are one shots once in a while but not every week. If there is a series that seems interesting you'd be much better off buying the volumes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/DC-on-TV-Sale/page/7917?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
:siren:Gotham Central:siren:
Penguin: Pain & Prejudice
Gotham Underground
Batman & The Outsiders assortment
Green Arrow: Year One
:siren:N52 Green Arrow #17-34 (Jeff Lemire/Andrea Sorrentino run):siren:
The Flash: Rebirth
Classic Flash assortment
:siren:iZombie:siren:
N52 Kitana

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Half off Fantagraphics with the code "INDIE" (though their tumblr said the code is "COMIX").
https://www.comixology.com/Fantagraphics-Sale/page/7916

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I grabbed a Tab S 10.5 inch yesterday since the S2 is going to be a 4:3 aspect ratio, and I wanted 16:10 for comics.

Holy poo poo. Comics look loving insane on this thing.

Came with a 3 month trial of Marvel Now! But, the scans on Comixology look a lot better when zoomed in on pannels. So, I think I might just go that route.

Wish I had done this sooner.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

That's a good sale but some of the books are poor fits for tablets, mostly due to size. Stuff that should be good:

Any of the EC Comics Archives
I think anything by Jason
Megahex was fine
Prison Pit
Hate
Maybe the Jim Woodring books
Tales Designed to Thrizzle
Non-Love & Rockets Hernandez Bros books

Stuff that might be compromised:
Love & Rockets (may be ok)
Ditko Archives
Sock Monkey
How to be Happy (what little I've read seems off-size)

Stuff that's going to be rough:
Hip Hop Family Tree
Arsene Schrawen (in addition to size IMO the paper/ink texture lent something to the book, kinda hard to explain)
Cannon
Krazy & Ignatz

I also think those are all good buys. I thought Black is the Color was poor.

Please recommend more because other than the Ditko Archives I'm not sure what else to buy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Half off Fantagraphics with the code "INDIE" (though their tumblr said the code is "COMIX").

Yusssss.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Uthor posted:

I'd recommend Hate by Peter Bagge, and I Killed Adolph Hitler. Also The Squirrel Machine is beyond weird.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I want the first issues of Usagi Yojimbo. They're still up on the Dark Horse app I guess...

e: They are published by Fantagraphics, available on the Dark Horse app but not on Comixology.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Does anyone know if there is any notable additional content in the Tales Designed to Thrizzle collections over getting the individual issues? I generally prefer collections over individual issues, but the price difference is quite significant.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone that was interested in WSJ being on Comixology might be interested to know that they just dropped a ton of new manga on the site, the U.S. might have already had it but in the UK at least it's new and there's a lot of good stuff like Attack on Titan. Only down side is that they're not using guided view for it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Specifically they have added a bunch of Kodansha stuff. Out of what was released, the first volume of Inuyashiki was pretty good, Attack on Titan is pretty good, and I've heard really good things about Vinland Saga but never read it myself.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I got a couple Krazy & Ignatz collections in the Fantagraphics sale, and it's incredible how out there and enjoyable they are for newspaper strips from the 1910s.
They're like underground comics from 50 years later.

And to the post above, I'm finding them easy enough to read fit-to-width landscape on an iPad mini.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Star-Wars-Collections-Sale/page/8012?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

https://www.comixology.com/Dark-Horse-Omnibus-Sale/page/7981?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

https://www.comixology.com/Atomic-Robo-Sale/page/7976?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Part of me wants to check out some of that Dark Horse superhero stuff like X.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Does anyone use the Metro app Cover? It owns, but I can't get it to generate thumbnails.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Atomic Robo and Star Wars? This isn't fair to my wallet.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Is there any "must read" Atomic Robo? I've enjoyed the free ones I've read on Comixology but no idea what to get from the sale.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not fully caught up on the series, but they're all pretty good and standalone. I'm partial to Atomic Robo & The Shadow From Beyond Time because I really like stories that play with time/the fourth dimension. Atomic Robo & The Flying She-Devils of The Pacific is full of bad-rear end women and I appreciate that.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

LordPants posted:

I'm going to give Nexus and Grendel a try. I've been meaning to for twenty years and this sale just reminded me of both books.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Is there any "must read" Atomic Robo? I've enjoyed the free ones I've read on Comixology but no idea what to get from the sale.

The correct answer here is "All Of Them". :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

plainswalker75 posted:

The correct answer here is "All Of Them". :colbert:

Basically, yes. There's only 9 volumes, so just start at the start and see if you like it. If you want Dr Dinosaur, though, he first appears in volume 4, I believe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LordPants posted:

Can we consider The Mask a superhero, so I can recommend the first omnibus?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Superior Spider-Man sale on Comixology - frankly, one of my favorite story arcs in the series and another piece of evidence solidifying that Peter Parker's substitutes and analogs are always cooler and more fun than he is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not a lot of comics in the Humble Neil Gaiman Bundle, but I'm sure he has a lot of crossover with comic readers. There are some comic collections that also include Alan Moore at the higher levels.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Anybody read anything on an iPad Mini? Can you get the job done? I own an aging 16:10 Android that's on the edge of obsolesence and even if I do make that my dedicated comic reader I don't want to lug it around with a more modern tablet with me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Anybody read anything on an iPad Mini? Can you get the job done? I own an aging 16:10 Android that's on the edge of obsolesence and even if I do make that my dedicated comic reader I don't want to lug it around with a more modern tablet with me.

It's fine for me. I read fit-to-width landscape and it's big enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Craptacular! posted:

New iPads were just announced today so there should be a price drop very soon