Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Funky Britches posted:

Anyone know where you get the mist parasites?

Easiest place is probably the Code Talker mission, kill the snipers and Fulton them. Works with any other Skull too, and I think Fultoning the puppet soldiers from those side-ops works, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Konami's gonna make a Pachinko machine out of the MGS IP like they did with Castlevania, just you wait.

The true Metal Gear.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Easiest place is probably the Code Talker mission, kill the snipers and Fulton them. Works with any other Skull too, and I think Fultoning the puppet soldiers from those side-ops works, too.
Fultoning puppets actually give them to you as soldiers with the same medal that Old Mother Base survivors get.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 7, 2015

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
I agree with a lot of the criticism of this game and the whole series, but I actually really enjoy the story for what it is.

I wish I had the chance to "BECOME A DEMON" in this game, the closest we got was the infection mission.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Dohaeris posted:

So how did Ocelot meet up with Liquid for MGS1?

Ocelot joins Foxhound after big boss right??

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

The snipers give me the camo ones, not the mist ones. Is it random which ones you get? Or do the controlled soldiers give you mist ones?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Sometimes I tranquilize someone in the face and they drop instantly with the ZZZs, and then they get up again like two seconds later even though there's no other noise/whatever going on. What is happening?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Funky Britches posted:

These give me the camo ones, not the mist ones. Is it random which ones you get?

Bring a rocket launcher to the Kaz rescue mission, the skulls you're meant to evade at the end there are killable, and give mist parasites.

Neo Rasa posted:

Sometimes I tranquilize someone in the face and they drop instantly with the ZZZs, and then they get up again like two seconds later even though there's no other noise/whatever going on. What is happening?

Is there an enemy vehicle nearby? They can honk to wake up sleeping guards.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Bring a rocket launcher to the Kaz rescue mission, the skulls you're meant to evade at the end there are killable, and give mist parasites.

Is there an enemy vehicle nearby? They can honk to wake up sleeping guards.

This is exactly what is happening.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Neo Rasa posted:

This is exactly what is happening.

Also this is the spoiler thread. I'm just making 100% sure that you're aware of it since your first post was a gameplay question rather than something about the plot.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Captn Kurp posted:

I agree with a lot of the criticism of this game and the whole series, but I actually really enjoy the story for what it is.

Yeah, I agree with this. I liked what we saw of Quiet (still keeping the butterfly emblem for now though), the Paz saga and resolution, the parasites and metal archaea are classic MGS along with fanservice as the precursor to nanomachines, there just wasn't enough fun interaction for whatever reason. The gameplay makes it the best open world action game yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lovely Wizard posted:

Also this is the spoiler thread. I'm just making 100% sure that you're aware of it since your first post was a gameplay question rather than something about the plot.

This is exactly what is happening. :downs:

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Ocelot joins Foxhound after big boss right??

I have no idea. It seems like Ocelot would be all "Aren't you that lovely kid that stole my robot?" Not "can I build a weird wire basement in your alaska base?"

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Man I completely forgot those existed. Do those even show up anywhere else?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I've heard a lot of back and forth, but do you straight lose Quiet for post-game content if you finish the game no matter what?

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

Ocelot is used to playing the spy game, while I doubt the story was this fleshed out, I would believe he would have joined in an attempt to keep tabs or maybe influence the group. I'm assuming he knows that Big Boss was still alive during the time and was acting in his interest. During MGS1 he also wasn't entirely aligned with Liquids interests, further suggesting he was acting as a spy.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

I've heard a lot of back and forth, but do you straight lose Quiet for post-game content if you finish the game no matter what?

Yes, I tried redoing the mission that gave her as a buddy but no luck! She's been removed from every list and menu. You lose her if you do her specific mission, not sure which one it is but people are using the butterfly emblem thing to prevent her story related quest from appearing that causes her to leave.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Captn Kurp posted:

Yes, I tried redoing the mission that gave her as a buddy but no luck! She's been removed from every list and menu. You lose her if you do her specific mission, not sure which one it is but people are using the butterfly emblem thing to prevent her story related quest from appearing that causes her to leave.

I guess that kind of makes sense story-wise but doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for post-game loving around.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks though. I guess I won't dump too much money on her then

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dohaeris posted:

I have no idea. It seems like Ocelot would be all "Aren't you that lovely kid that stole my robot?" Not "can I build a weird wire basement in your alaska base?"
He would but that's why I liked the post-ending dialogue between Miller and Ocelot that was posted a few pages ago. While discussing the real Big Boss creating Outer Heaven without Miller's involvement, Miller says he's going to help Solid Snake and the fake Big Boss get stronger so they can take out Outer Heaven. Ocelot laughs and says that if Miller picks one Snake, he'll have to join the other to keep things balanced.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I guess that kind of makes sense story-wise but doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for post-game loving around.
It certainly doesn't and it sucks a whole lot. I don't see why they don't just slide in a "phantom" Quiet for the end-game. You just need a quick audio tape of Ocelot saying "She's not the real thing but because of <parasites> she's about the same shot. Give her a test on the field." and everybody would be happy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Quiet you fight during the Extreme mission of her boss battle is even different looking, having blonde hair and a soldier uniform. I thought you might get a non-canon copy of her if you beat it after doing mission 45.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Broken Cog posted:

The Quiet you fight during the Extreme mission of her boss battle is even different looking, having blonde hair and a soldier uniform. I thought you might get a non-canon copy of her if you beat it after doing mission 45.

...That's the Sniper Wolf costume.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Funky Valentine posted:

...That's the Sniper Wolf costume.

Ah, that explains why you unlock that after beating that mission (which I couldn't check out because I had already done mission 45 beforehand).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Broken Cog posted:

Ah, that explains why you unlock that after beating that mission (which I couldn't check out because I had already done mission 45 beforehand).

Is dropping a box on her still a good way to beat her on Extreme?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Funky Valentine posted:

Is dropping a box on her still a good way to beat her on Extreme?

nnnnnnope! She moves out of danger as soon as you call them in.

I've got her to about half health on Extreme a few times then died cause of the slightest fuckups in timing. It's such a brutal battle.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Even in the original mission, I could never get the supply drop strategy to work. She always moved out of the way. For extreme, I just spawned a tank and hosed her up from the confines of my steel sanctuary.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Captn Kurp posted:

I wish I had the chance to "BECOME A DEMON" in this game, the closest we got was the infection mission.

You know that there are Heroism point in the game but what you probably don't know if that there are hidden Demon points too, that you get for killing a lot and doing bad poo poo in general (you get most of them by building a nuke).
Accumulating Demon points will slowly make your horn longer, leave permanent blood stains on your gear that you can't wash away and eventually you'll leave a trail of blood after you which enemies will be able to track.

In It For The Tank posted:

Even in the original mission, I could never get the supply drop strategy to work. She always moved out of the way. For extreme, I just spawned a tank and hosed her up from the confines of my steel sanctuary.

Pfft! The real way to do that fight, Extreme version too, is an honest sniper duel.
I didn't even bother moving from the spawn point.

The hardest part of that mission is quickly figuring out the bullet-drop you need to adjust for, at her various sniping points, and after that it's a piece of cake.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 7, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hah, I didn't know about the blood trail. There's no way to come back from Demon status, is there? If not, I foresee a bunch of whining after people build nukes for the achievement without realizing what it will do.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

nnnnnnope! She moves out of danger as soon as you call them in.

I've got her to about half health on Extreme a few times then died cause of the slightest fuckups in timing. It's such a brutal battle.

2 sleeping gas bombardments KO her. No S rank though!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I didn't bother wasting time to harvest parasites to make the parasite suits. But judging by the youtube videos I've watched it seems like it only gives you the stone armor. That loving blows. I was totally expecting to be able to jump around like an idiot at lightning fast speeds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hah, I didn't know about the blood trail. There's no way to come back from Demon status, is there? If not, I foresee a bunch of whining after people build nukes for the achievement without realizing what it will do.

You can, but it's hard.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Every time you pass another stage toward becoming a demon the number of points in each "range" increases such that it's really hard to get back down. In theory if you did it'd be really hard to ever go back up though.

You can lose Demon Points by maxing out your buddies (-5000 each one time), rescuing all animal species (-10000 once), disposing of ten nukes (-30000 for 10, beware that building one nuke is +50000), Fultoning child soldiers (-120 per), or visiting the Animal Conservation Platform (-300 each time, and the guide claims it's repeatable). So if you wanted to shed Demon Snake status redoing Mission 23 or spamming visits to the zoo could do it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Part of me wants to do it because it looks pretty neat and I'm eventually going to build a nuke anyway just for the trophy, but I'm not sure how annoying the blood trail thing would be and that sounds like a massive chore to get rid of it. Hmm...

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

Captn Kurp posted:

I had so much fun with this game and binged through it and was all looking forward to 100%ing it, and then my quiet left forever. She's one of the most fun ways to take on encampments and I don't think I want to do the remaining 40% completion without her, but I'm certainly not gonna start the game again.

I don't even mind the terrible incomplete story as much as I mind this completely unsignposted removal of a major mechanic as a "reward" for finishing all the story.

I really wish like someone said they made some bull crap clone excuse and let you keep playing with her because it INSTANTLY killed my desire to keep playing any end game content.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
DDawg is here to stay with us, and that's all that matters. :colbert:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Funky Britches posted:

The snipers give me the camo ones, not the mist ones. Is it random which ones you get? Or do the controlled soldiers give you mist ones?

The 2 missions in Afghanistan with Skull units are the mist type

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

So do you have to boot out literally every soldier that speaks Kikongo? I'm considering doing it before that point in the story to see what happens but god drat that's a lot of soldiers.

e: can you sick bay them or do you have to boot em out of outer haven?

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I really like Psycho Mantis' omnipotent presence in this game's story. It makes perfect sense that after these events, people like Sigint and the Armstech president Baker would have Anti-Psychic Brain Implants. Maybe Solid Snake gets some limited psychic resistance from his nanomachine cocktail, which is why Meryl could be so easily controlled, but Solid Snake only gets flashes of "psychic feedback." Maybe this is why the second controller trick works for him. Everybody mostly ignores Psycho Mantis in this story cause he's selectively manipulating everybody's perceptions and memories, kind of like The Silence from Doctor Who. He has the power of a god.

Once somebody catches on to this, it would become a priority to R&D Anti-Psychic Implants. By the time we meet Psycho Mantis again in 2005, his power has been nerfed by age and the ubiquity of implants that straight-up block his power. He becomes a sad old man who does cheap parlor tricks like telling me I play Castlevania because technology and time have neutered him.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
This game fits in pretty well with the theme of magic disappearing as the patriot's control grows and the war economy starts kicking into gear. Also it's pretty funny how all of Skullface's stuff ends up getting co-opted by the patriots, REX is basically just a knockoff Sahelanthropus and the Nanomachine system is a more refined version of the parasites.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The open world and Mother Base/resource system are the two big offenders I think. Every problem I have with the game stems from them in some way. I just imagine how much more fun the game would be not navigating menus, sitting through unskippable helicopter scenes, fultoning everything in sight, or travelling through a lifeless open world. A hub and spokes style mission system would have worked much better. You'd gain a finite number of points which could then be spent on specific gadgets that would compliment your playstyle or help overcome the enemy's upgraded AI/shooting ability/gadgets/number or whatever in subsequent missions. Invisible, Inc., despite being a completely different game, provides the sort of model I think would be interesting.

The story is whatever. It's serviceable. I just don't get the people who swear off the game because of the ending but ignoring the utter tedium of much of the gameplay. When it works, it works extremely well. When it doesn't, it's Fulton and Helicopter Rides: The Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I think everyone posting in this thread should be banned in a thematic parallel to boss' purge of mother base.

• Locked thread