Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think the devs 'clarified' the item interation rule to let you draw basically as many weapons as you could use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do magic thrown items return to your hand in 5e like they did in 4? 'Cause "I just gave my best weapon to the enemy" is also a bit of an impediment.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No. Or at least not that I can find a rule about. Ask your DM, I guess.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In a recent game we had someone play a Dex based barbarian/ rogue. The uses finesse weapons for the DEX stats and put all the STR points into more CON and Dex. Dual wielder + reckless attack + sneak attack is brutal.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

In a recent game we had someone play a Dex based barbarian/ rogue. The uses finesse weapons for the DEX stats and put all the STR points into more CON and Dex. Dual wielder + reckless attack + sneak attack is brutal.

Reckless Attack only works on attacks that use Strength though?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Generic Octopus posted:

Reckless Attack only works on attacks that use Strength though?

Finesse weapons can use either Str or Dex, as the user prefers. So yeah you can pick up two short swords and dual wield them with reckless-sneaks.

But since sneak attack is only once per turn, and his base Str lags behind, and also his multiclassing lowers his SA dice... it's still pretty much pants. A regular dual wielding Rogue can do much more damage with a nearby ally, a factor that's practically guaranteed in a team-based game like D&D. Or you rely on hand crossbow sniping for same damage at range with constant stealth.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Or just be a swashbuckling rogue and have constant sneak attack.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sage Genesis posted:

Finesse weapons can use either Str or Dex, as the user prefers. So yeah you can pick up two short swords and dual wield them with reckless-sneaks.

I know how Finesse weapons works; I'm saying that Reckless Attack specifically requires the attack to be made with Str to trigger.

Reckless Attack posted:

When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.

Like, is the barb relying entirely on Advantage to hit at that point? 'cause if he's dumping Str for Dex and Con his to-hit with Reckless is kinda bad. That's my point of confusion.

Obviously the solution is to just get bit by a Werebear for free Str.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 4, 2015

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I guess it's important to know my main roll 20 table has interpreted reckless attack to mean it just has to be a weapon that can use strength, not that the attack itself uses strength. Also a houserule that with dual wielder feat you can treat your attacks as simultaneous for the purpose of sneak attack and therefore roll sneak attack twice if both hit.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I guess it's important to know my main roll 20 table has interpreted reckless attack to mean it just has to be a weapon that can use strength, not that the attack itself uses strength. Also a houserule that with dual wielder feat you can treat your attacks as simultaneous for the purpose of sneak attack and therefore roll sneak attack twice if both hit.

Yes, changing the rules helps that build significantly.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So just like fantasy football, any discussion about the week's results first require any explanation of how the rules deviate from the official ones?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Generic Octopus posted:

I know how Finesse weapons works; I'm saying that Reckless Attack specifically requires the attack to be made with Str to trigger.

Like, is the barb relying entirely on Advantage to hit at that point? 'cause if he's dumping Str for Dex and Con his to-hit with Reckless is kinda bad. That's my point of confusion.

Obviously the solution is to just get bit by a Werebear for free Str.

Sure and I agree with that. It's something that sounds cool on paper I guess but in practice is...

Soylent Pudding posted:

... up to the DM, I guess. :cripes:

You know, if you're going to post about how a particular combo is brutal, please in the future also mention how you're not actually using the official rules.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Genesis posted:

You know, if you're going to post about how a particular combo is brutal, please in the future also mention how you're not actually using the official rules.

What are you, some kind of fuckin' rules lawyer? Get outta here. Ask your DM fo' life.

(I'm joking)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Do Druids get a proficiency bonus while transformed? This came up last night when our friend-turned-giant-spider was trying to bite a cultist. I wish I could remember the exact rationale for why they might but I wasn't playing the PC in question.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Sorry about that. Dashed off a quick post and didn't think to point out that my groups veteran DMs homebrewed some rules to try and keep martial classes capable with spellcasters at higher levels.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Fuligin posted:

Do Druids get a proficiency bonus while transformed? This came up last night when our friend-turned-giant-spider was trying to bite a cultist. I wish I could remember the exact rationale for why they might but I wasn't playing the PC in question.

Sort of, but not like you think.

Your normal game statistics are replaced by those of the beast, and they already include its own proficiency bonus. You do get your own, original proficiency bonus to skills and saves, except if the animal already has proficiency in it as well (and then you'd use the higher of the two).

In the case of biting however, you simply use the creature's statistic. Which already includes its own proficiency bonus, but you don't get to replace it with yours. Just use

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I want to make a cleric of Beshaba, but the recommended domain Trickery doesn't seem to fit that very well. Any ideas?

More specifically, I want something more based around the theme of fortune than thievery.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 5, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Divination Wizard or Lore Bard.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Skellybones posted:

I want to make a cleric of Beshaba, but the recommended domain Trickery doesn't seem to fit that very well. Any ideas?

More specifically, I want something more based around the theme of fortune than thievery.
In that context I would think of Trickery as: "Do what I want or something bad will happen", you either manipulate them into doing your thing, or you engineer a bad outcome for them.

Lazy wiki pull:

quote:

She is renowned for being spiteful and malevolent, and her priests manipulate common folk into revering and providing for them by acting mysteriously and playing on morbid fears.

quote:

Beshaba's aim in life is to desiccate and disintegrate her antithesis, "Lady Luck".

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
More from the D&D Facebook page:

"Geek culture and nerd culture is now just culture," said Chris Perkins.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Shouldn't another Unearthed Arcana be coming soon?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ryuujin posted:

A design team member had to take a day off to wait for the cable repair guy so all releases have been pushed back two months.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I'm sure this is a joke, I think, but man it is so sad that there is even an "I think" in that statement. Then again Unearthed Arcana is, possibly, the only thing WotC even makes. Assuming they actually have any control over it, since everything else that gets released is done by third party. If they don't do Unearthed Arcana then the question would be, what do they do?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

It leaked. Check out d20srd.org

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I DM'd a game of 5e last night, and it went much better than my first two experiences with the system. I recorded it, so if anyone wants to listen to a 2-hour level 1 session of 5e by someone that's been influenced way too much by Gumshoe, here you go.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
This could also fit in the DM advice thread, but it's specific to 5e so I'll post it here: I've started DMing a 5e game, and I've noticed that the players tend to just back into a corner/down the hallway whenever a fight starts. Any ideas on how I could get them to move around more, other than putting fire under them that they'd want to avoid standing in? I'd rather not ambush them from all sides or lock the door behind them every time. I feel like I should be placing objectives around the area they're fighting in, but I can't think of any beneficial resources in 5th edition that they'd value in the middle of combat.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How much of the party is melee and ranged? If the enemy don't follow them but start throwing or shooting things at them, that could encourage them to move forward.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Back in 3.5, hunkering down in a corner or a hallway was tactically sound because the meatshields' ability to actually shield the soft members of their team was fairly limited. If your players are acting on that instinct, just make battle maps with enough walls and choke points that the players feel comfortable moving around and between. Combine this with ranged or otherwise elusive enemies they need to move out to confront, so you give them an incentive to take that first step.

Also experiment with environmental effects, like fire that periodically shoots into specific squares, or a massive blade that swings across a corridor, or treasure chests that slowly descend into lava, or whatever.

Spam Down B
Oct 1, 2008
Gradenko your accent reminds me of my hometown :3

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fighting in a hallway makes sense if you don't have the abilities to prevent monsters from hitting your back-line and have to resort to physically blocking monsters with yourself. You can give them objectives and incentives to venture out, as the two posters above me have mentioned, but I think that also includes a gentleman's agreement that you as the monster-controller won't (always) dance around the Barbarian's reach.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Vanguard Warden posted:

This could also fit in the DM advice thread, but it's specific to 5e so I'll post it here: I've started DMing a 5e game, and I've noticed that the players tend to just back into a corner/down the hallway whenever a fight starts. Any ideas on how I could get them to move around more, other than putting fire under them that they'd want to avoid standing in? I'd rather not ambush them from all sides or lock the door behind them every time. I feel like I should be placing objectives around the area they're fighting in, but I can't think of any beneficial resources in 5th edition that they'd value in the middle of combat.

Not 5e specific, but stuff that will get them to move:

Fire
Enemies raining missiles on them from behind cover (maybe through arrow slits or murder holes so they have to get into the next room, fight the guards, and then take out the archers).
Fire
Numerous enemies that constantly harrass and retreat. How many are there? It seems like they'll never run out! They're plinking us slowly to death!
Fire
Objectives that have to be captured/stolen/activated/deactivated/broken/saved/etc that the enemies are trying to (opposite thing) or (plot point happens / doesn't happen)
Fire
The floor is lava (acid, poison, gone) if you stand on it for too long or if you bunch up too much. Could be a volcanic area with a thin rock crust over magma, could just be rotting planks over a sewage pit.
Fire
Ceilings that drop dangerous poo poo on you if you stand in one spot too long. Stalactites. Acid mold. Jetpack orcs. Whatever.
Fire
Enemies that place AoEs on them. Maybe it takes a round for the baddies to re-aim the catapult or whatever so you're safe if you move more than X from your start point.
Fire
Dangerous stationary objects (catapults, lightning towers, missile launchers, magic crossbow turrets) that are immune/resistant to most kinds of damage but susceptible to "jam a rock in the barrel/gears/whatever" or that maybe just have an off switch.
More fire.

I mean, you mentioned not wanting to use fire, but "make them move out of the AoE" is probably the best way to make people move after "you have to get to the macguffin", and there can't always be a macguffin, so get creative with AoEs instead.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 7, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Vanguard Warden posted:

If the players are the invaders (assuming a dungeon/cave/lair), theres no reason that the monster/creatures wont just back off and wait as well. They live there whats their hurry?

The players can either advance, or pack up and go home.

(Not all the time of course, but use the IQ level and creature type of the encounter to decide how crafty the things will be.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FRINGE posted:

If the players are the invaders (assuming a dungeon/cave/lair), theres no reason that the monster/creatures wont just back off and wait as well. They live there whats their hurry?

The players can either advance, or pack up and go home.

(Not all the time of course, but use the IQ level and creature type of the encounter to decide how crafty the things will be.)

This is how Hackmaster gets you to handle it in Little Keep On The Borderlands.Several of the factions can just scorched-earth retreat through their whole sections of the map, and then get clean away at the end. Or gently caress you up through a couple of retreat-and-activate-the-trap sections and then flank you. Or, you know, just wait you out. Like you said, they live there.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Playing the party's rogue. Habitually roll 1's to the point of absurdity. Looking at either lucky feat or dungeon delver to help ameliorate this. Thoughts?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lucky is pretty much always a good idea. There's some rules-lawyery shenanigans about the official ruling where if you use Lucky while you have disadvantage, you roll three d20s and pick the one you want to use. There's a case to be made that it's thematically appropriate, but just something to be aware that this is a feat with some vaguely worded mechanics that might cause friction if people don't agree on the reading/ruling.

The thing about Dungeon Delver is that it's so strong that it could possibly throw off how your DM adjudicates traps and such: they might end up jacking up everything's DCs to "make up" for the fact that you're rolling with advantage against all of them.

Ideally they shouldn't as it's a bonus, but even if your DM is aware that they shouldn't be doing it, they might end up doing so anyway subconsciously.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Been asked to join in on the new Encounters season - apparently it now uses the Madness rules because Demons are scary yo. I've tried figuring out how this works and what ability it's based off but all I can find in the DMG is that it's either Charisma or Wisdom. Can I choose which one to use for my saves?

Also, apparently http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm got smitten out of the air by WotC and it's now only allowed to present the free PDF stuff - is there any other 5e character builder/generator around?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Commissar Kip posted:

Been asked to join in on the new Encounters season - apparently it now uses the Madness rules because Demons are scary yo. I've tried figuring out how this works and what ability it's based off but all I can find in the DMG is that it's either Charisma or Wisdom. Can I choose which one to use for my saves?

Also, apparently http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm got smitten out of the air by WotC and it's now only allowed to present the free PDF stuff - is there any other 5e character builder/generator around?

The Fantasy Flight one is the only one and only if you spend an awful lot of money.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ActusRhesus posted:

Playing the party's rogue. Habitually roll 1's to the point of absurdity. Looking at either lucky feat or dungeon delver to help ameliorate this. Thoughts?

Die, swap to a spellcaster, proceed to automatically succeed on things without rolling.

There's not a hell of a lot you can do to ameliorate poor dice rolling, though lucky will help somewhat. Just be sure to actually use lucky if you take it; don't save it up "just in case" and then never actually activate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's also busting your rear end/slipping the DM :tenbux: to gain Inspiration, and the Hero Points variant rule.