Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And with that, I am destitute.

Thank god, everything is back to normal. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Looks like someone finally ran out of money to bribe commissioners with :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mygna posted:

Looks like someone finally ran out of money to bribe commissioners with :colbert:

Uhh, yeah, but that was all the way back when my fighter lost.

e: Oh you meant Tiger Millionaire. Excuse me, but we're talking about my giant failures right now, thank you. :colbert:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Yep, thats about what I expected. My only real hope was to target the sword arm rather than a leg first and I guess Tiger wasn't feeling it.

Mygna posted:

What really happened was that the commissioners realized the exchange rate of tigerbucks to dwarfbucks is about 1 billion to 1.

The ideology eater fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 24, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hideous mole abomination vs hideous monkey abomination. Nice.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Bronze Match:siren:

Citizen Pain on the left (Tiger Man 1) and Tiger Millionaire on the right (Tiger Man 2). One is clad in all silver, the other in all iron. Both carry dual-mace-like weapons.

The fighters charge across the arena floor and forget to stop. With a clang they bounce off of each other and lay there stunned like a couple of cartoon characters. They get back to their feet and trade deflections for about 30 seconds.

Citizen Pain bashes Tiger Millionaire a few times but only causes bruises through silver armor.

Tiger Millionaire finally gets a blow through and smashes Citizen Pains eye into paste. A followup blow fractures Citizen Pain's left forearm through the iron armor. Citizen Pain drops his maul.

Citizen Pain tries a different tactic, but Tiger Millionaire is a heartless monster.

Tiger Millionaire smashes Citizen Pain's other arm into paste. Citizen Pain: I've been wounded. It's annoying. Another blow fractures his upper arm. Citizen Pain: Down I go. *Passes out*

One head smashing later Tiger Millionaire stands alone. King of the jungle if you will.

Winner: Tiger Millionaire

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 24, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm putting it all on morocco mole.

After all, if I lost to the winner that's basically the same as getting second place, right?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

At least I am champion among tigermen!

The build for anyone curious:
He has the following equipment.
Silver Mace
Silver Maul
Silver Helm
Silver Mail Shirt
Silver Greaves
Silver Gauntlets
Silver Low Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 8 Fighting (Expert)
Level 12 Hammer (Master)
Level 7 Dodging (Adept)
Level 10 Armor (Accomplished)

Edit: Also the reason that kittycat eyes didn't work was likely that one of them was totally pulped. Probably looked pretty brutal.

The ideology eater fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 24, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You could have gotten that win one fight sooner, you know. :mad:

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

You could have gotten that win one fight sooner, you know. :mad:

Molemarians are OP :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LorrdErnie posted:

Molemarians are OP :colbert:

That was your problem to deal with, not mine!

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well, RIP in peace Citizen Pain. You sure were, better than average? Yeah. Let's go with that. :unsmith:

I suppose I should post my build as well, since it's what the cool kids are doing:
Silver Maul
Silver Maul
Iron Helm
Iron Mail Shirt
Steel Greaves
Iron Gauntlets
Iron High Boots

Level 5 Fighting (Proficient)
Level 14 Hammer (Grand Master)
Level 4 Armor (Skilled)

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Looks like Citizen Pain used up all his luck one-shotting my strangler. drat.

So, I ain'tnt dead and I'll be running the Final soon! Place your bets, Folks!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm not sure how to feel about getting outmaneuvered like this in the betting....

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Go mole, go.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I really don't see the strangler winning this one since the mole gives zero shits about pain.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If only my ant would have survived until now, she has a record of beating to a pulp 100% of the molemarians she's fought.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

pun pundit posted:

If only my ant would have survived until now, she has a record of beating to a pulp 100% of the molemarians she's fought.

:argh:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren::black101:1051 Arena Test League - GRAND FINAL:black101::siren:

Welcome back to the arena for possibly the last time in this thread. 32 gladiators entered and one by one they've been killed off in various gruesome ways. We've had amputations, decapitations and bifurcations galore and we've seen a good variety of large and small fighters, weapons and armour strategies. Now we are down to the final two.

On the left of the arena please welcome the king of ironic nicknames, First Round Casualty! The strangler is managed by AnoHito, who comes looking for a win with his very first gladiator. First Round Casualty is 'unarmed' and wears a steel breastplate and greaves with iron gauntlets boots and helm.

On the right, raise the roof for Morocco Mole! This Molemarian is 3 for 4 on decapitations and is out for another one today. His manager iLonie is a veteran trainer but has never before reached a final. Morocco Mole caries his trusty steel longsword and wooden shield and wears full steel mail with leather underarmour.

Out of the gate, both warriors face the problem of armour. Morocco Mole's sword is turned by the Strangler's greaves and First Round Casualty's teeth can't punch through the Molemarian's boots. Another slash from Morocco Mole and a scratch from First Round Casualty end the same way.

Morocco Mole breaks the stalemate by charging First Round Casualty, finally breaking the Strangler off his foot. Rather than pressing his advantage on his prone opponent, Morocco Mole steps back to collect himself before launching in again.

First Round Casualty throws a double right hook as Morocco Mole closes, but finds only wood as his oponent's sword finds his left hand. The sharp steel cleaves through the iron gauntlet and out the other side, ruining First Round Casualty's left hand!

Blood gushes from the wound and the hand hangs useless, but First Round Casualty still has three fists swinging. Morocco Mole is forced onto the defensive as First Round Casualty launches forward. Morocco Mole can only block and dodge the flurry of blows, only managing to tap First Round Casualty on the legs in return.

As the flury of blows ends, Morocco Mole finds the only gap in First Round Casualty's defense and stabs once more at the strangler's injured hand. Iron and flesh are torn and it's all too much for First Round Casualty. The strangler sinks to his knees, cradling his ruined hand.

Morocco Mole grips his sword in both hands and winds up one final swing. First Round Casualty's head flies and Morocco Mole throws back his head and roars in triumph. One lucky fan in the crowd catches First Round Casualty's head.

:siren:All hail Morocco Mole as champion of the arena and his manager iLonie! Engrave his name on the wall of champions and remember him for evermore!:siren:

Combat Log

And we're done! Assuming we've got a fix for the copper dagger thing, we should be about ready to move on to Major League Fightin' in a new thread. Stay tuned for announcements on that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FRC for most misleading name.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Gratz, iLonie! Nicely done :)

iLonie
Feb 17, 2011

Ghostwoods posted:

Gratz, iLonie! Nicely done :)

Cheers! Basically the same build I've attempted each tournament - suspect giving up the extra points of human for the moles pain resistance, and prioritising weapon hand defence were the deciding factors.

Are we still doing rewards for tournament/bet winners, or just bragging rights?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, dude does love himself some decapitations.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Glazius posted:

Dang, dude does love himself some decapitations.
Worth noting: I write the intros before running the fight. I had no idea Morocco Mole was going to get that 4th decapitation at the start.

iLonie posted:

Are we still doing rewards for tournament/bet winners, or just bragging rights?
We haven't since Jazz took over, but I think we should. Problem is that it needs to be something fairly small to the point of being inconsequential. Maybe a minor points bonus, or even something like a different colour text for your fighter on screenshots.

Something to consider as we move into future tourneys.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bene Elim posted:

Problem is that it needs to be something fairly small to the point of being inconsequential. Maybe a minor points bonus, or even something like a different colour text for your fighter on screenshots.

An adamantine buckler maybe? It does the same job as a wooden one, except it's completely useless for shield bashing.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I guess FRC stood for Final Round Casualty after all! :haw:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I'm putting it all on morocco mole.

After all, if I lost to the winner that's basically the same as getting second place, right?

Oh, hey, I actually *am* second place. Neato.

Congratulations, iLonie.

It'd be cool to have a massive all champion brawl at some point, if the commissioners are up to it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

First Round, Last Round, close enough. Everyone knows the tournament doesn't really star until the finals, anyway.

Anyway, my build in case you're curious:

Iron Helm
Steel Breast Plate
Steel Greaves
Iron Gauntlets
Iron Low Boots

Level 14 Fighting (Grand Master)
Level 14 Wrestling (Grand Master)
Level 6 Striking (Talented)
Level 14 Biting (Grand Master)
Level 14 Dodging (Grand Master)
Level 6 Armor (Talented)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't get the bite he needed. No shake, no... bake?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Okay, the site is pretty much ready for the main "official" tournament, there are just a couple of things that I'd like to get done but aren't holding things up really:

- Team macros... these are not actually necessary but I'm sure the commissioners would appreciate it.
- Playoff seeding... the code for ranking the teams in preparation for playoff seeding is ready, but the code that actually seeds the teams to determine who plays whom, and who has home arena advantage, isn't done yet. But there would be at least a couple of months to finish that even after the season starts, so it isn't really holding things up.

--

Aside from that, here's what I was thinking for the next tournament:

- There will be 16 teams in four divisions. Each team fights each other team once, but they fight their own division opponents twice, once home and once away. Each team fights nine matches at home and nine matches away from home in an 18-fight season.
- Yes, that's an 18-fight season. Yes, that means this will be much bigger than anything we've done before in Arena Challenge. That said, there will be a small point bonus for fighters whose managers stay active each round.
- Eight teams would qualify for the playoffs. Each division champion would qualify, along with the four best other teams. Finishing in second place will not qualify you for the playoffs if you have a bad record in a bad division!
- I'm thinking we should have four-fighter teams, for a total of 64 participants. If there's enough interest, there would be five-fighter teams for 80 participants. If there's even more interest than that, the rules might change somewhat, as described in the next bullet point...
- If there's a huge amount of interest, we could have two conferences of four divisions each. There would be same 18-fight intra-conference grind within each conference, but with no inter-conference matches. The playoffs would also work the same way up to each conference champion. Then the conference champions would face each other (on a neutral site, perhaps? Think the NFL Super Bowl) for the championship! Maybe the conference championship could even be best two of three?

---

As you have probably already guessed, home-arena advantage will be implemented for the upcoming official tournament. That said, I was wondering...

- Is anyone actually interested in designing a home arena? This would require you editing the arena.txt file in the Dwarf Fortress folder, and me editing the site to allow you to submit it. There would also have to be ground rules, i.e. no creating an arena where both teams are on an island in lava just because your team is all archers. I haven't decided yet what the full extent of the ground rules would be just yet, but I'm open to suggestions. Maybe custom arenas would be something for a future tournament, but if there's enough interest we can consider it for this one.
- Another option for a real "home arena" advantage that I had considered was to automatically give fighters +1 to their best skill when fighting at home, in order to simulate a real "home arena" advantage. Because, after all, home is supposed to provide an advantage. But if this option is unpopular we can forget about it.

Why is Home Arena advantage important, you might ask? Because, in the playoffs, the more successful teams from the regular season will get to fight at home in the playoffs. But note that designing actual home arenas might delay the tournament for another week, as it would require additional code.

So, before we get started, I'd like to hear your ideas on how to implement Home Arena Advantage for this tournament. Should we:

(A) - Have teams design their own home arenas, even if it means waiting an extra week or two to get started? Teams who don't go that extra mile will get a default arena which will not provide any real advantage!
(B) - Give them a simple +1 to their best skill when fighting at home? This can simulate the benefits of playing in front of a friendly crowd, but once fighters finally reach Grand Master in a skill, fighting in a Home Arena doesn't mean so much anymore.
(C) - Ignore the whole home-advantage thing for this time around, even though this removes all post-season benefits from dominating in the regular season vs. barely qualifying for the post-season by the skin of your teeth?

And any other suggestions are welcome as well!

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 7, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
B
It's really hard to design an arena in a way that benefits a team, without literally building a moat between an archer and non-archer teams.
The part about a skillpoint bonus might work better if you phrase it as "best non-grandmaster skill"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

A definitely sounds the most interesting. Though there would have to be a couple groundrules or at least an unofficial 'no total bullshit' rule.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my dad posted:

B
It's really hard to design an arena in a way that benefits a team, without literally building a moat between an archer and non-archer teams.
The part about a skillpoint bonus might work better if you phrase it as "best non-grandmaster skill"

"I put 0 points in dodge. The fight is on 1-tile wide diagonal bridges over 10Z level drops into magma.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I like either A or B. I already designed an arena prior to this, and I can tell you that twisting arena.txt to do what you want can be a real pain, especially if you try to get fancy.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

my dad posted:

B

My thoughts exactly. Designing an arena that gives reasonable but not dominating home advantage is going to be extremely difficult. I'd rather see teams create memorable but non-advantageous arenas, and have the benefit happen mechanically behind the scenes.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A and B both sound fun to me.

I can see making your own arena to give your team a slight advantage something fun to make. There ahould be rules of course so that madly placed lava drops or unreachable ledges and such would be no-no, but maybe a few strategically placed walls could favor a melee team over a ranged one. Of course this could be balanced with a ranged team having a few strategically placed chasms to turn melee fighters into target practice as they take the long way around.

And by the way, if you make your own arena, can you choose the starting point for each team or will that be randomized? Will you start grouped, or spread out in the corners? How will that work?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'd be interested in having home arenas purely for flavour - that is, not allowing anything fancy (it's still a flat field with no amusing pitfalls), but letting managers play with the shape and materials to create something that looks interesting and recognisable. Meanwhile you'd also implement the "+1 to home team's best skill" thing.

Note that IIRC it's possible to add 1 even to a grandmaster skill, as there are four separate (but identically-named) levels of grandmaster, unless that has changed recently.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Maugrim posted:

I'd be interested in having home arenas purely for flavour - that is, not allowing anything fancy (it's still a flat field with no amusing pitfalls), but letting managers play with the shape and materials to create something that looks interesting and recognisable. Meanwhile you'd also implement the "+1 to home team's best skill" thing.

Note that IIRC it's possible to add 1 even to a grandmaster skill, as there are four separate (but identically-named) levels of grandmaster, unless that has changed recently.

"Legendary" skill level is actually multiple levels, but you can't give people legendary skill in the arena, afaik.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Can/will dudes climb/swim in the arena? This is important to my designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

There are two main problems with custom arenas.

1. It's really hard to edit arena.txt and have it come out as you want.
2. The AI is really, really bad at moving/pathing/dodging. Especially dodging. It will happily dodge off ledges or into lava.

As cool as the idea is, I don't think it's practical.

• Locked thread