Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Aurora posted:

It'd probably be cricket or something

That and Gyro is Italian

Jojos Bizzarre Bocce Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it is already established that soccer is the official game of jojo's bizarre adventure. or at least, 'soccer but the ball is filled with deadly toxins'

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it is already established that soccer is the official game of jojo's bizarre adventure. or at least, 'soccer but the ball is filled with deadly toxins'

What about chariot racing?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

um,

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
There's gotta be some some universe where Xtreme Football took off. In that universe, it is the sport of choice for JoJo's.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The Miami Dolphins are canon, after all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favorite thing about Dio is just Diego from Part 7. He's cool.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
My favorite thing is that one time he gave his boyfriend a bone to remember him by.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my favorite thing is that the world's most evil dude liked to lounge around in bed and talk about France with his boytoy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm reading Stone Ocean right now and I'm really confused why Dio's flashbacks all seem to take place in broad daylight, did Araki just forget he's a vampire?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm reading Stone Ocean right now and I'm really confused why Dio's flashbacks all seem to take place in broad daylight, did Araki just forget he's a vampire?

He also completely forgets about the neck scar IIRC, and the ear birthmark but that got forgotten about a long time ago

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ekusukariba posted:

He also completely forgets about the neck scar IIRC, and the ear birthmark but that got forgotten about a long time ago

Maybe he's using The World to freeze the light in place and all their conversations are taking place in anime time

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Doesn't matter what it is outside, he's inside.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

another thing I like: DIO learned about how well electric lamps work by hanging out with his boyfriend in what looks like hotel rooms and still lived in a hazy castle shrouded in darkness and mist

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

setafd posted:

another thing I like: DIO learned about how well electric lamps work by hanging out with his boyfriend in what looks like hotel rooms and still lived in a hazy castle shrouded in darkness and mist

isn't Pucci like 15 in those flashbacks

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

setafd posted:

IIRC, he moved to that castle around the time the Crusaders arrived in Egypt, so the Pucci conversations could just predate the party mansion.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

isn't Pucci like 15 in those flashbacks

I dunno but it was gay as hell and I loved it

hoobajoo posted:

IIRC, he moved to that castle around the time the Crusaders arrived in Egypt, so the Pucci conversations could just predate the party mansion.

that's even worse

he found out about artificial lighting and STILL got a darkass castle

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favorite thing about Dio is just Diego from Part 7. He's cool.

Fair enough! Dio and Pucci is mine possibly. I have an Agenda.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Dio just wanted a thematically apropriate location to have a showdown with his nemeses but he didn't know when they would arrive so he had to live there for a few weeks.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

setafd posted:

I dunno but it was gay as hell and I loved it

that's even worse

he found out about artificial lighting and STILL got a darkass castle

I just went back and checked and apparently the Pucci/Dio party-boy scenes were in 1989 and Pucci was 16.

EDIT: On topic, my favorite thing about Dio is that he doesn't give a gently caress about anything and yet is still justifably annoyed at Vanilla Ice's inability to use a door.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

He probably had the lights on for his boyfriend's benefit. Alternately they had to turn them all off so Terence could run his game consoles due to the lovely state of Egyptian power service.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Pensive posted:

Dio just wanted a thematically apropriate location to have a showdown with his nemeses but he didn't know when they would arrive so he had to live there for a few weeks.

and in the end everyone ended up running out on the streets anyway :smith:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Tenore Sax

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

LordLeckie posted:

Tenore Sax

Huh, good answer

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TWIST FIST posted:

and in the end everyone ended up running out on the streets anyway :smith:

It's not like Dio wanted to have a fair fight or anything, given the chance he's have sucker punched Jotaro and killed him before he could even figure out what The World does

No sympathy for Dio

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Araki has a stage play adaptation of some non-Jojo stuff coming out http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-07/jojo-creator-prison-break-stage-play-casts-eriko-hatsune/.92605

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Probably a good thing he's not doing the costumes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Just finished reading part 5, Jojopinions follow:

I loved it most of the way through, even though GioGio forgot about his stand's most useful ability (and the sped-up perception thing), wasn't too keen on it becoming a discount Crazy Diamond about 3/4 of the way through - the ending was a bit of a mess though. Also, if you're going to have a power as complicated as Diavolo's, at least be consistent with it.

While I'm moaning: too many stands had the power to make something become soft.

In all: good, but no part 4. Was at its best when people were resolving mundane problems with totally sensible tactics, such as turning one of their teeth into a jellyfish.

I agree that the ending was a mess. I'm not sure if King Crimson was actually inconsistent or just seems that way due to a combination of the strangeness of the concept, a bad translation, and Diavolo not always spelling out how he pulls off particular tricks. For example, the odd bit where Bruno sees himself could be explained as Diavolo giving Epitaph to Bruno.

Giorno not using the damage redirection ability is odd. You could come up with a bunch of contrived Watsonian explanations, but I think Araki just quietly dropped it because Gold Experience is powerful enough as it is.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 11, 2015

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Dzhay posted:

Just finished reading part 5, Jojopinions follow:

I loved it most of the way through, even though GioGio forgot about his stand's most useful ability (and the sped-up perception thing), wasn't too keen on it becoming a discount Crazy Diamond about 3/4 of the way through - the ending was a bit of a mess though. Also, if you're going to have a power as complicated as Diavolo's, at least be consistent with it.

While I'm moaning: too many stands had the power to make something become soft.

In all: good, but no part 4. Was at its best when people were resolving mundane problems with totally sensible tactics, such as turning one of their teeth into a jellyfish.

When I've said before that gold experience confuses me it's more because abilities ate forgotten or morph in odd ways.

The ending was definitely odd. I chalk a lot of it up to translation- that sort of epilogue with the stone would have been much more poignant had it been translated better.

But I love Vento because the gang is fun and the stands are interesting. Bruno and Mista's stands in particular? Also, I love Risotto Nero and having Polnareff come back was nice.

I find that rereading chapters as they are translated makes it more fun.

I know there are folks who aren't as into the colored part four stuff, but the guy typesetting for that is partway through highway star now and boy does that look nice in color. Crazy Diamond's stand cries look cool.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ascalapha odorata posted:

When I've said before that gold experience confuses me it's more because abilities ate forgotten or morph in odd ways.

The ending was definitely odd. I chalk a lot of it up to translation- that sort of epilogue with the stone would have been much more poignant had it been translated better.

But I love Vento because the gang is fun and the stands are interesting. Bruno and Mista's stands in particular? Also, I love Risotto Nero and having Polnareff come back was nice.

I find that rereading chapters as they are translated makes it more fun.

I know there are folks who aren't as into the colored part four stuff, but the guy typesetting for that is partway through highway star now and boy does that look nice in color. Crazy Diamond's stand cries look cool.

Vento probably has the best core group of protagonists if for no other reason than how well they all play off of each other. Say what you want about the Stardust Crusaders, but they never bonded on the level that allows face-licking and piss-drinking.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol that one scene at the start of Part 5 that they don't ever do again

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Naerasa posted:

Vento probably has the best core group of protagonists if for no other reason than how well they all play off of each other. Say what you want about the Stardust Crusaders, but they never bonded on the level that allows face-licking and piss-drinking.

Giorno has some weird friends.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Such a well knit group. Fugo who helps in all of one fight and says if Giorno gets caught it's his own problem, none of them really care that Fugo left the group just kind of like "Sure, whatever loser", Trish who helps out once, and Mista going out alone to take on Prosciutto as no one backs him up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked the part where giorno decided the best way to deal with a guy that can freeze everything is to drive into some water

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Giorno's not very smart and I died laughing at that

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked the part where giorno decided the best way to deal with a guy that can freeze everything is to drive into some water

Sometimes when JoJo battles start and protagonists make bonkers decisions I just sit back and think well ok, there's some weird weakness they've somehow divined that we can't see yet but uhh yeah when he went into the water all i could think is 'this idiot is going to become a gang star eh?'

A couple components would be better had they been fleshed out more, like Doppio (though again, that could be translation). As funny as it is to have a man in a turtle explaining multiple personalities, that left me understanding less than I had before.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I feel like King Crimson's power suffers from it being really hard to show in comic form on top of the it being badly translated. It's really difficult to have a Stand that "frame skips" when you're seeing things frame by frame anyway.

King Crimson will be way less confusing when (if) it's animated.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The time skip stuff I 'get' inasmuch as I think anyone can get it, and Doppio is basically 'this is what happens when you have multiple personalities AND a Stand," right? Like it's a Stand manifestation of his old self?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I like King Crimson

though I know that's a controversial stand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ascalapha odorata posted:

The time skip stuff I 'get' inasmuch as I think anyone can get it, and Doppio is basically 'this is what happens when you have multiple personalities AND a Stand," right? Like it's a Stand manifestation of his old self?

I think Doppio looks different because Diavolo is contorting his muscles? I feel like that was mentioned somewhere, that its more of a posture thing and not a stand power that the two of them look different.