Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Valeyard posted:

Arrived in London and want to off myself, I got stuck in a lovely room that is smaller than all the other small rooms, and its boiling

Small rooms and extortionate rent are the norm sadly. I hope you like your new job though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

coffeetable posted:

Matlab: Programming Fundamentals is what i wanted it turns out. discoveries so far
  • wtf

welcome to matlab.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
valeyard was here

so was tef

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Valeyard posted:

Arrived in London and want to off myself

welcome to london

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
Dear fellas, I can't believe how fast things move in a startup. I saw a gantt chart once when I was a freshman, but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big drat hurry. The HR department got me into this halfway house called a "hacker hostel" and a job running automated tests. It's mind-numbing work and I try to keep up, but my head hurts most of the time. I don't think the QA manager likes me very much. Sometimes after work, I go to the pit and pretend I'm drowning in balls. I keep thinking a developer might just show up and say hello, but they never do. I hope wherever they are, they're doin' okay and makin' cool apps. I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm drowning in balls. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a virus and infect the network so they'd send me home. I could dox the manager while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I have too much college debt for that sort of nonsense any more. I don't like it here. I'm tired of being annoyed all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for a nondescript CJ like me. P.S: Tell Shaggar I'm sorry I made fun of Microsoft. No hard feelings.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

DaTroof posted:

Dear fellas, I can't believe how fast things move in a startup. I saw a gantt chart once when I was a freshman, but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big drat hurry. The HR department got me into this halfway house called a "hacker hostel" and a job running automated tests. It's mind-numbing work and I try to keep up, but my head hurts most of the time. I don't think the QA manager likes me very much. Sometimes after work, I go to the pit and pretend I'm drowning in balls. I keep thinking a developer might just show up and say hello, but they never do. I hope wherever they are, they're doin' okay and makin' cool apps. I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm drowning in balls. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a virus and infect the network so they'd send me home. I could dox the manager while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I have too much college debt for that sort of nonsense any more. I don't like it here. I'm tired of being annoyed all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for a nondescript CJ like me. P.S: Tell Shaggar I'm sorry I made fun of Microsoft. No hard feelings.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

DaTroof posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

DaTroof posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

DaTroof posted:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

DaTroof posted:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

gonadic io posted:

something like this as a rough framework? if this state machine is to maintain the state across the entire program then it needs access to the object that it's attached to which sets off a red flag
I can't read Scala good but you can represent each of the workers and each of the blocks as their own state machines via data structures you carry around.

A state machine in this case can be represented as a tuple of {StateName, Data}, and state transitions are effected by a function/method call of the form handle(Event, StateName, Data) returning an updated {NextStateName, NextData} or optionally also returning a value Value (so {Value, NextStateName, NextData}).

This basically means that a new FSM for a block would be {PENDING, Data} where Data can be stuff like the location of the block or whatever it needs to represent itself. A worker could be {IDLE, WorkerData}, while a busy one would be {SCHEDULED, ...}.

Put all of these in a data structure (linked list, octree, whatever). Whenever you add a new block, you can find a worker and tell it about it:

worker_handle({newblock, BlockLocation}, IDLE, WorkerData)

The worker can do its thing, decide to pick up the block as a task (and return {true, SCHEDULED, store(Block, WorkerData)} and then you update the block to let it know about it back), ignore it (and return {false, IDLE, WorkerData} with the same one), and so on.

Gaining persistency then only requires you to store all of the blocks and workers in their current state.

Now if you're in Scala and using Akka, you can take this and transform each of them into a concurrent worker (Erlang-style) that just loop over the state name and data. Transform events into messages, and so on, and they become independent entities.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 7, 2015

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

DaTroof posted:

oh my god.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

DaTroof posted:

Dammit, why can't I 5 a single post.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

DaTroof posted:

my favorite movie

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

suffix posted:

the done thing is to maintain a bunch of linked lists so you can quickly find all workers, or all idle workers, or all build orders, etc

that's a lot faster to update than a database
and a lot more bug-prone, e.g.: http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/tough-times-on-the-road-to-starcraft
i'd never seen this before and as someone who spent a good chunk of the 00s modding starcraft, including some primitive poking around in the exe near the end, this is really cool

the bit about units, doodads and flingys was very familiar though i remember it a bit differently. otoh i obviously only know it off the names of the data files used not the internal class names so it wouldn't surprise me if we're both remembering right and the names were out of sync because lol @ everything else that happened in that project

as i recall the data heirarchy for a unit and its graphics went like units.dat -> flingy.dat -> sprites.dat -> images.dat
then one of those last two also referenced entries in iscript.bin which i guess would've been different from an exe structure perspective but was important for modding as it had the scripts for which sprite frames to use for different things
units.dat would also reference other files like orders.dat and weapons.dat
weapons.dat would also point to i think a flingy for weapon projectiles but i think maybe only a sprite or something for explosions because why not
orders.dat i think also referred to weapons.dat and iscript.bin for certain things
doodads were just a terrain feature but some of them would also refer to entries in units.dat or images.dat for special uses

my main actual contribution to the starcraft modding community was being the one to suggest (i'm just the ideas guy) to one of the later generations of modding tool makers (the first generation had pretty much all moved on by the time i got involved, at least one of them to a job at blizzard working on warcraft 3) that the editor for all the various data files should have buttons to quickly go from say a units.dat entry to the flingy.dat entry referenced by it, or for a given images.dat entry list all the entries in sprites.dat and whatever the gently caress else that reference it (i'd stolen that idea from a tiberian sun modding program i'd used)

there was some other cool stuff like you could do buffer overflows in the map editor - certain triggers to create or detect units took int32s for both the player ID and unit type even though there were only up to 8 players (technically 12 behind the scenes) and i think maybe 256 or less units.dat entries. the map editor only let you put valid entries but the game client itself didn't check it and the map file format was cracked open pretty quickly, though afaik it took a few years before people started loving with memory like that. pretty quickly after that though someone sent blizzard a POC of some heinous poo poo, so they patched in proper validation for the ones that wrote memory, but iirc left the read-only ones as-is which I think people took advantage of to do some pretty cool things with reading game state that couldn't normally be done with the normal triggers (though the map had to be updated after each patch as the memory locations moved around). i think someone also made a plugin that people could use with their mods to bypass the write validation if they wanted to do extra stuff in their mods' maps; which i guess was fine since, while blizzard had to fix it because it could easily affect people with an unmodded game just from joining someone's custom game on battle.net, when people got into unofficial and unsupported mods it all involved running exes from the internet before the advent of UAC so yolo

also one of the later starcraft patches years after release was super broken because they finally upgraded to a newer version of visual studio and had to release a followup patch pretty quickly afterwards lol

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 7, 2015

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

DaTroof posted:

jesus christ

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

hang in there valeyard

Soricidus posted:

what if the ceiling's too low

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i have a vm that's running headless 100% of the time my desktop is running. should i use vagrant or docker to script it?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blinkz0rz posted:

i have a vm that's running headless 100% of the time my desktop is running. should i use vagrant or docker to script it?

i dont understand your question

i dont think docker is what you want though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
maybe docker is what you want. it depends.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Blinkz0rz posted:

if you want an actual vm then you gotta use vagrant. i prefer docker though b/c you can access the GPU from it

what're you using it for

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DaTroof posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

Arrived in London and want to off myself, I got stuck in a lovely room that is smaller than all the other small rooms, and its boiling

at least work will be-- oh, sorry

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

coffeetable posted:

if you want an actual vm then you gotta use vagrant. i prefer docker though b/c you can access the GPU from it

what're you using it for

i'm running a java app in the background but i want it sandboxed because it accepts connections from the outside world. i've been using a vm managed and provisioned by vagrant up until now and it works ok but weird stuff happens if the vm gets cold rebooted like when i restart my computer

i'd rather have something that just manages the app itself but doesn't have the extra stuff that the vm does

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm running a java app in the background but i want it sandboxed because it accepts connections from the outside world. i've been using a vm managed and provisioned by vagrant up until now and it works ok but weird stuff happens if the vm gets cold rebooted like when i restart my computer

i'd rather have something that just manages the app itself but doesn't have the extra stuff that the vm does

yeah that sounds like a docker use case. you should be able to get that up and running in docker very quickly

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
honestly after docker the only time i find myself reaching for a full vm is when i want something to run dockers in

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

jony ive aces posted:

there was some other cool stuff like you could do buffer overflows in the map editor - certain triggers to create or detect units took int32s for both the player ID and unit type even though there were only up to 8 players (technically 12 behind the scenes) and i think maybe 256 or less units.dat entries. the map editor only let you put valid entries but the game client itself didn't check it and the map file format was cracked open pretty quickly, though afaik it took a few years before people started loving with memory like that. pretty quickly after that though someone sent blizzard a POC of some heinous poo poo, so they patched in proper validation for the ones that wrote memory, but iirc left the read-only ones as-is which I think people took advantage of to do some pretty cool things with reading game state that couldn't normally be done with the normal triggers (though the map had to be updated after each patch as the memory locations moved around). i think someone also made a plugin that people could use with their mods to bypass the write validation if they wanted to do extra stuff in their mods' maps; which i guess was fine since, while blizzard had to fix it because it could easily affect people with an unmodded game just from joining someone's custom game on battle.net, when people got into unofficial and unsupported mods it all involved running exes from the internet before the advent of UAC so yolo

also one of the later starcraft patches years after release was super broken because they finally upgraded to a newer version of visual studio and had to release a followup patch pretty quickly afterwards lol

coming in as a mapmaker, this was the coolest. I had thought part of it was that it would also crash any non-windows client, but an actual exploit makes more sense in retrospect since lol who used a mac.

starcraft 1 mapmaking was the golden age in terms of resourcefulness and ingenuity. unintended behavior like no-op waits to force trigger evaluation to happen as fast as possible, death counters to keep track of stats, disabling units to get effects like perma-cloaked bunkers and marines, and text stacking by forcing overruns w/ weird tabs or whatever. just take a look at this to see what i mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG7kUJk-BAw

that's not even counting the in-game exploits, a lot of which could be done by hand. my favorite was that, using the fact that the sub-menu is changed asynchronously from unit selection, you could briefly attempt to execute actions on one unit that were available to another. you sadly couldn't execute an action that wasn't available to that unit, but there was one that was available to several zerg units: burrow. A unit set to burrow would have its submenu lose context until it had burrowed, at which point it would switch to show unburrow. by switching to an already burrowed unit then quickly switching back to the burrowing unit, you were able to hit unburrow before that unit had finished burrowing. the result was an unburrowed, movable unit that had no collision detection whatsoever. you could stack these units and pass through whatever you wanted.

zerglings burrowed too quickly to reliably do this by hand and lurkers were useless above ground, but hydralisks were perfect. stacking like 50 of these things and ripping through anything was amazing.

EDIT: found a video of the aftermath of the glitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrNxjyQjPZU

FamDav fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 7, 2015

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
oh man, when I was a kid I always wondered how map makers did things like that which weren't possible with the basic map editor. the truth is pretty loving cool. my favorite starcraft 1 thing was the trainers that let you 'unshare' vision with yourself, which let you do stupid poo poo like stack 50 photon cannons on the same tile, or fly terran buildings into the enemy base and land them on poo poo (destroying them). I didn't learn how to create hacks like that myself until c&c generals, which coincidentally also had some game breaking bugs.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blinkz0rz posted:

you should use configuration management to set up the VM, and then you can use any technology you want to handle starting/stopping it

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
just got my offer letter. I'm a Noogler now (short for New Googler) and a thorougly deece six point five is coming my way starting end of the month. I'm a successful terrible programmer.

this is impressive because of how completely i min/maxed my college gpa. specifically: i minimized it, achieving the most optimal overall gpa of 2.0, the lowest you can possibly graduate with.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

just got my offer letter. I'm a Noogler now (short for New Googler) and a thorougly deece six point five is coming my way starting end of the month. I'm a successful terrible programmer.

this is impressive because of how completely i min/maxed my college gpa. specifically: i minimized it, achieving the most optimal overall gpa of 2.0, the lowest you can possibly graduate with.

did you remember to ask in the interview whether you'll have to bring your own gloves to clean the toilets with?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
so does a new googler get like, $150k + bonuses because that still isn't enough to me to live in the bay area.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
"look at all these figgies!"

*lives in a place that essentially caters to people making 7 figgies*

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

:eyepop:

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
i live in brooklyn, which is probably cheaper than sf. I live with roommates but a decent 1 bedroom is definitely affordable on this salary.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

google is the most shameful loving corporation jesus christ

like are you fuckin kidding me

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

a decent 1 bedroom is definitely affordable on this salary.

:pwn:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bloody posted:

google is the most shameful loving corporation jesus christ

like are you fuckin kidding me

not a cult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010