Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You want a Gyuto, they are the most general purpose type of kitchen knife, equivalent to a western Chef's Knife.

Also stainless steel is just as good and sharp as carbon steel these days, you should make your choice based on the qualities of the knife other than the steel used, things like how hard the steel was tempered, the profile and geometry of the blade, handle choice and so on make a much larger difference.

With that said here are some knives to look at:

Tojiro DP 240mm Gyuto: The basic, cheap option, very good value for the money, western style handle. It's thicker than I would like which impedes it's cutting performance but you need to spend a lot more to see definitively better results.

Tanaka Ginsan Gyuto 240mm: I've always liked Tanaka's stuff for how cheap and high quality it is. This one is stainless steel, Ginsan to be exact. I rather like this steel, it sharpens easily, gets very sharp and holds an edge pretty well. The blade will be a little rough around the edges and you might need to take some sandpaper to the spine to soften the edges, other than that it should be a really nice knife and a real step up from the Tojiro.

Sukenari Ginsan Gyuto 240mm: This one is very nice, it's not quite as thin as the Tanaka above but it has a very nice taper into a thin tip that is great for finer work. It's neither very thin nor very thick, right in the middle and it feels fairly robust without sacrificing much cutting performance. Like all Sukenari knives it is superbly finished with a nicely rounded spine and choil, a very elegant knife without any fancy finish like damascus and such.

Shiro Kamo AS Gyuto 240mm: I have a gyuto in R2 steel from the same smith and it's my favorite knife. Great cutting performance, feels very robust and sturdy unlike some of the super thin knives out there. This one is made of Aogami Super steel, it's very hard and holds an edge very well, it is a carbon steel so you will need to take some extra care to keep it dry and clean. The cladding is soft iron and will also need to be kept dry and clean. Honestly I feel that the Shiro Kamo knives should be selling for $100 more than they do right now, my Shiro Kamo R2 is easily better than knives I have spent over $350 on.

Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the recs.Yes, I should have also mentioned that I was looking mostly at Gyutos. I will look into these when I have some free time later this week.

guppy posted:

What's your budget?

Maybe in the neighborhood of a hundred bucks for the chef style knife? Of course, if there is something serviceable for less that is great likewise if there is something that is absolutely killer for a bit more than is fine too. But that is what I had in mind.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I want a bigger (longer) slicer, I made sushi this weekend and I realized my fibrox just isn't long enough to do few strokes. What can anyone recommend? I'd spend up to $150-200 but would be happy to pay less.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hed posted:

I want a bigger (longer) slicer, I made sushi this weekend and I realized my fibrox just isn't long enough to do few strokes. What can anyone recommend? I'd spend up to $150-200 but would be happy to pay less.

How long are you looking for? There are some Sujihikis around 10" long that are reasonably priced, any preference as far as reactive vs stainless steel?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
FYI the Tojiro DP suji is far too flexible, mine bends regularly in my bag, it's practically unusable after 4 years.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would say 8-10". I can go either way on metal, I do most of my prep with cleavers these days and have some carbon steels. I'm basically looking for something to complement that fibrox slicer that I'll use for breaking down birds to slicing off sashimi from a hunk of fish. Maybe I actually should have two knives, I'm not sure.

e: like should I be looking at getting a boner and fillet?

Hed fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 7, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hed posted:

I would say 8-10". I can go either way on metal, I do most of my prep with cleavers these days and have some carbon steels. I'm basically looking for something to complement that fibrox slicer that I'll use for breaking down birds to slicing off sashimi from a hunk of fish. Maybe I actually should have two knives, I'm not sure.

e: like should I be looking at getting a boner and fillet?

I like something small and nimble for boning and something long for slicing things like roasts, large pieces of fish and so on. Though most of the time for slicing I just get lazy and use my gyuto, it does the job well enough most of the time.

I know Masamoto has a good rep for use in sushi and such, pretty expensive though. There is also this knife which is fairly thick at the spine and according to the description fairly rigid, it's a bit fancy looking and if you're a pro I'd be a bit nervous about theft.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

My fibrox slicer is 12 inches. Works great for $35.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys! That Masamoto looks like what I had in mind, so I'll add that to my wishlist. FGR is right, I looked at my fibrox and didn't realize they made longer versions. That should tide me over in the meantime. :cheers:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hed posted:

Thanks guys! That Masamoto looks like what I had in mind, so I'll add that to my wishlist. FGR is right, I looked at my fibrox and didn't realize they made longer versions. That should tide me over in the meantime. :cheers:

If you're gonna save up for the Masamoto you might want to get the 270mm version instead, assuming your work space allows it the extra length can be pretty nice and it's not a huge jump in price.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm thinking about getting a large CCK to chop up a bunch of vegetables. It seems like $100 could get a nice one. Do others find it gets as much use as I think I would?

Also what stones do people recommend for their edge pro knockoffs?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I actually like the smaller CCK cleaver (this one though LOL at the current price) and I say that as someone who has both the small and large ones. My chef's knife basically collects dust now since I started using it. Look at Radish's posts, but I have the Shapton glass 1k and 4ks and they made short work of the secondary edge sharpening compared to the included stones. I think I still used the included ones to reprofile the thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks Hed, the smaller one might be better for me as well. Your link didn't work but are you talking about the 1303?

And I found Radish's posts, can I just put those Sharpton's into the edge pro?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

sellouts posted:

Thanks Hed, the smaller one might be better for me as well. Your link didn't work but are you talking about the 1303?

And I found Radish's posts, can I just put those Sharpton's into the edge pro?

Yup, they fit right in, they come with a metal backing with the triangular tabs pre attached, you can see it on them here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shprostforep.html

I'd recommend something like a 1k+4k and optionally a 500 for reprofiling.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yep, sorry I botched the link but the 1303 is one recommended in this thread and I really enjoy using it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yup, they fit right in, they come with a metal backing with the triangular tabs pre attached, you can see it on them here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shprostforep.html

I'd recommend something like a 1k+4k and optionally a 500 for reprofiling.

For repro work I'd get the CKTG 140 plate because it's way too cheap not to. (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ck140grdiplf.html )

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Recommend me a knife GWS!

Ok actually it's not for me, it's for my wife. She would use a paring knife for all her chopping needs if I didn't shame her about it. I think she doesn't like the heft and overall size of a proper 8" or larger chef's knife.

I was thinking she might like a 6" or so nakiri. Any particular recs for that?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
How about the 7" Tojiro santoku? A little bit smaller than most chef's knifes, but still have some height to the blade.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
She might like a nice utility knife, they are basically shaped like a chef knife but in the range of 4" to 6" rather than the typical 8" to 12" that chef knives are. Dunno if you're set on any particular style though.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

rockcity posted:

How about the 7" Tojiro santoku? A little bit smaller than most chef's knifes, but still have some height to the blade.

I bought this expressly for my wife, who does not like the big heavy 9" chef knife I prefer. She loves it. 6 or 7 inch Santokus in my experience are great for people who for whatever reason feel uncomfortable with a full-size knife and would resort to a parer if left to their own devices.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Going to echo everyone else and say a santoku would be the best choice, it still has a lot of the versatility of a chef's knife or gyuto but it's good for people who don't like the length of those types of knives. The hight on them is also good for scooping stuff up which is always nice.

For recommendations there is always the Tojiro DP but if you want to make it a special present for her this one is very pretty, has great performance and won't break the bank.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Going to echo everyone else and say a santoku would be the best choice, it still has a lot of the versatility of a chef's knife or gyuto but it's good for people who don't like the length of those types of knives. The hight on them is also good for scooping stuff up which is always nice.

For recommendations there is always the Tojiro DP but if you want to make it a special present for her this one is very pretty, has great performance and won't break the bank.

I bought my mom the 8" chef knife version of that and it's awesome.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would also suggest a santoku, I love my petty knife but I don't think petty/utility knives are usually hefty enough to be all-rounders. Although my fiancée also loves that knife and uses it exclusively. I've been trying to convince her to use my santoku instead.

I don't know what you were looking to spend, but the Mac Professional santoku is 6 1/2" and is fantastic. Amazon has it for $104 right now. (The listing is for "Mac brand," but it looks to be the Professional.) You can go cheaper, the Superior series is $75, but I really prefer the Professional. Obviously price-wise the Tojiro DP is much cheaper than either of those at $47.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Another vote for a santoku.
If she's not keen on japanese made knives (extra blade care, sharpening and handle material/design), Felix (solingen), make a western style santoku that's easy to care for.
I bought one years ago before I knew where to buy Japanese knives, but still wanted to try a santoku It's the knife I allow my partner to beat up on these days and it's held up well.
They're a bit hard to find these days online, but maybe they are around in a B&M shop somewhere near you.

E: I just found my partner had thrown my felix santoku in the sink and piled a bunch of dirty dishes on top of it.
I would be crying if they did that to even my tojiros, but the felix is about 10 years old.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 17, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

E: I just found my partner had thrown my felix santoku in the sink and piled a bunch of dirty dishes on top of it.
I would be crying if they did that to even my tojiros, but the felix is about 10 years old.

My gf wanted to borrow my chef knife so I gave her my entry level Mercer (the one they give you at culinary school around here). She left it wet (had a couple rust spots when I saw it that I've since taken care of), under a heavy rear end wooden cutting board, and with sticky rice all over it.

Then she got mad when the next week she wanted to borrow my nice Shun and I said 'gently caress no.'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 17, 2015

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

What is a good stone grind for a Tojiro DP?

Also, a ceramic rod like this one a bad idea? Apparently it has a harder than usual ceramic involved, so it could sharpen instead of hone even a better steel?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Transmetropolitan posted:

What is a good stone grind for a Tojiro DP?

Also, a ceramic rod like this one a bad idea? Apparently it has a harder than usual ceramic involved, so it could sharpen instead of hone even a better steel?

Any stone of decent quality will work. There is noting wrong with using a ceramic rod, it's just that it's a supplement to sharpening on a stone, not a replacement for it. Any ceramic rod will sharpen and not just hone, it pretty much has to because japanese knives are hard enough that the edge does not deform very much, instead it just wears away.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I am saving up to buy some good maintenance gear since I now own a quality knife, better to research accordingly.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I own a fair number of nice knives. japanese high carbon, german, cheapo chinese, retail brands

does anyone have any suggestions for a knife that loving blows everything else away? like if I was going to spend over $200, what should I be getting? Is it all gimmick and ornate handle work at that point, and not so much about the knife itself?

I hate this company because of my interactions with them, so I definitely won't be buying this poo poo, but the JCK mr itou stuff always makes me go 0_0;;;

I feel like I should probably own something that respectable at some point in my life. of course I have no idea if the blade itself is a stamped piece of poo poo or not. thanks magic of the internet and spergy knife forums.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Moridin920 posted:

My gf wanted to borrow my chef knife so I gave her my entry level Mercer (the one they give you at culinary school around here). She left it wet (had a couple rust spots when I saw it that I've since taken care of), under a heavy rear end wooden cutting board, and with sticky rice all over it.
That's the thing about decent quality german knives like the felix, they won't rust if left wet, and they have poly/plastic three rivet handles instead of laminate, wood, or pakkawood like the tojiro or other Japanese knives. My felix santoku has been beaten on for about a decade and still looks OK.
I wouldn't give a knife to someone with a list of care instructions.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 18, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

mindphlux posted:

I own a fair number of nice knives. japanese high carbon, german, cheapo chinese, retail brands

does anyone have any suggestions for a knife that loving blows everything else away? like if I was going to spend over $200, what should I be getting? Is it all gimmick and ornate handle work at that point, and not so much about the knife itself?

I hate this company because of my interactions with them, so I definitely won't be buying this poo poo, but the JCK mr itou stuff always makes me go 0_0;;;

I feel like I should probably own something that respectable at some point in my life. of course I have no idea if the blade itself is a stamped piece of poo poo or not. thanks magic of the internet and spergy knife forums.

No idea about that particular knife but you do keep seeing increases in quality as the price goes up, though past a certain point you start seeing more tradeoffs to get more sharpness, edge retention and so on.

I'll go through some examples based on my own knives:

Konosuke Ginsan Gyuto 240mm: This is my most expensive and by far my sharpest knife, but it's also a good example of what I meant by "tradeoffs". The extreme sharpness of this blade comes from it's extreme thinness, while the blade is actually surprisingly durable it feels... Hmmm, not fragile, but using it feels like using a precision tool that if you make a small mistake with, say torquing the blade, will punish you. It feels like the blade might chip or crack and it forces you to pay very careful attention to what you are doing. But it rewards that with unsurpassed sharpness, especially on shallow ingredients like peppers where sometimes you can't feel the knife going through anything at all.

Shiro Kamo R2 Gyuto 240mm: This is my favorite knife. It is not as sharp as the Konosuke above but where the Kono is a scalpel, all precision and exactingness, the Kamo is a knife, it's ~90% as sharp as the Kono but where the Kono requires extreme focus to use the Kamo feels robust and fills it's user with confidence. I honestly think that in the Kamo I got a $350 knife, not a $260 one. It also maintains an edge for a long, long time. I'd highly recommend this knife.

But with these two knives you can see what I meant by tradeoffs, I like the Shiro Kamo better but clearly the smith who made the Konosuke Ginsan traded away some robustness for even more sharpness and it turns out that that tradeoff does not suit me. Another example would be the few knives made of ZDP189 steel, that steel is hideously expensive but can be hardened up to HRC 67-68, giving the knife insane levels of edge retention and sharpness but making it brittle enough that I would be very nervous using it. Really where you start seeing the embellishments bringing up the price is with exotic handle materials and such, my Konosuke has a yew wood handle, a pretty standard material. My Shiro Kamo's handle is made of ho wood, the most bog standard handle material in japanese knife making, all of the workmanship in both of those knives went into the making of the blade.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

Get on Bob Kramer's list. If you're lucky in a few years he will pick your name and you will be able to pay a shitload for one of his knives.

http://www.kramerknives.com

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It forces you to enter a credit card to register? ugh.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

sellouts posted:

Not surprising that he'd want to get some commitment from the people applying to the lottery, seeing as his knives can pull in $30,000+ at auction now.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

sellouts posted:

Yeah, I was reading the site last night. If you get picked to win and don't buy, they bill you $100 and ban you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suzdp189ki.html

If you're looking at $200+ knives, you have a lot of choices. Some high carbon steels are still in that range, like Moritaka, which can still be a little rough. It's not until you pass $400 that you are paying for absolute top quality and fit & finish. My boss has that Sukenari. It is the finest knife I have ever held, and is beyond razor sharp. ZDP-189 is a hell of a steel, and the knife is beautiful to look at.

You could also look at HAP40 knives, it's also a good steel.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, I was reading the site last night. If you get picked to win and don't buy, they bill you $100 and ban you.

That's a bit heavy. What does it cost them to just take the next name that comes up? Nothing.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
In the market for a new bread knife.

This is what I had before and I loved it:
http://www.amazon.com/Messermeister-Meridian-8-Inch-Offset-Scalloped/dp/B000MF67BE

This is what I'm looking at currently:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html
http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Class...of+super+slicer

I have a couple of cheap bread knives that have stayed sharp for about a year (they were never that sharp to begin with). The Messermeister stayed sharp for MUCH longer. Also, the offset blade is pretty nice on the knuckles. Probably leaning towards that Tojiro unless anyone has suggestions otherwise.

Also, I have this knife: http://www.japaneseknifecompany.com/products/knives/aogami-santoku
I need a steel for it and I'm terrified of getting something too hard and loving it up. Suggestions?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

angor posted:

In the market for a new bread knife.

This is what I had before and I loved it:
http://www.amazon.com/Messermeister-Meridian-8-Inch-Offset-Scalloped/dp/B000MF67BE

This is what I'm looking at currently:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html
http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Class...of+super+slicer

I have a couple of cheap bread knives that have stayed sharp for about a year (they were never that sharp to begin with). The Messermeister stayed sharp for MUCH longer. Also, the offset blade is pretty nice on the knuckles. Probably leaning towards that Tojiro unless anyone has suggestions otherwise.

Also, I have this knife: http://www.japaneseknifecompany.com/products/knives/aogami-santoku
I need a steel for it and I'm terrified of getting something too hard and loving it up. Suggestions?

1) Get the Tojiro ITK bread knife, it's amazing.

2) You don't steel metals that are that hard. At that level of hardness the metal does not deform much, it just tends to wear away so your only option is to actually sharpen it. If you look at some of my past posts in this thread I have made recommendations for easy sharpening systems, just click the "?" button on this post to find my past posts in this thread. :)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

1) Get the Tojiro ITK bread knife, it's amazing.

2) You don't steel metals that are that hard. At that level of hardness the metal does not deform much, it just tends to wear away so your only option is to actually sharpen it. If you look at some of my past posts in this thread I have made recommendations for easy sharpening systems, just click the "?" button on this post to find my past posts in this thread. :)

Awesome, thank you.

It looks like this Edgepro knockoff is the way to go, right?: http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-Professional-Kitchen-Sharpener-Fix-angle/dp/B00ABVS5VY.

If the stones that come with it are a bit rubbish, can you recommend me some stones specifically for my knife? Preferably on Amazon so I can order everything all at once. Maybe the Edgepro 220 and 400?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
New Kickstarter chef's knife, Kenji seems very happy with their prototype: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html

I love my Victorinox, but part of that is it's a full 12 inches, which is more comfortable at my height. Even so, with that kind of review, I'm willing to put down the $60.

• Locked thread