Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Guavanaut posted:

Presidential veto would be the obvious one. I can't think of any single individual who has that power of veto in a Westminster system, except for in the Commonwealth Realms where a monarch who would never dare use it has it.

There's also presidential immunity. With a Prime minister you can just replace him with another from the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nintendo Kid posted:

Haha you don't know anything about politics. Why don't you go ahead and describe these supposed quasi-royal powers (which are probably just powers that the prime minister or whatever the gently caress has in other countries),

Haha, you don't know anything about politics (of non-presidential systems of government). How about the ability to wage war without Congress' approval? Angela Merkel would be out of a job if she did what Bush/Obama had done.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

Presidential veto would be the obvious one. I can't think of any single individual who has that power of veto in a Westminster system, except for in the Commonwealth Realms where a monarch who would never dare use it has it.

The veto can be overridden by the legislature. Just like with the Presidents or equivalents in a bunch of European countries, or like in Icleand where instead of the overriding being done by the legislature, it's instead done by a country-wide referendum.

Kurtofan posted:

There's also presidential immunity. With a Prime minister you can just replace him with another from the party.

The Congress is free to remove the President if they choose to successfully impeach him. He's no more immune than the congress members are. Don't know where you got the idea he's untouchable.

Nixon would probably have been impeached if he hadn't been smart enough to resign.

No, as then you'd see the pale blue/green up the coasts instead of just extreme southern parts.

Torrannor posted:

Haha, you don't know anything about politics (of non-presidential systems of government). How about the ability to wage war without Congress' approval? Angela Merkel would be out of a job if she did what Bush/Obama had done.

What about it? Congress chose to authorize that power in the past, particularly through various military treaties. Also last I checked many if not most royals aren't allowed to wage war without their parliaments' approval. So it's a bit anachronistic to call that quasi-royal isn't it?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Congress is free to remove the President if they choose to successfully impeach him. He's no more immune than the congress members are. Don't know where you got the idea he's untouchable.

Nixon would probably have been impeached if he hadn't been smart enough to resign.

There's no impeachment process in France.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

The guy specifically asserted that the American president is quasi-royal.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Maybe there should be a monarchy thread.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kurtofan posted:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nintendo Kid posted:

The guy specifically asserted that the American president is quasi-royal.

Well I was talking about presidents in general.

yeah great, very stable system of politics. "hope a revolution bursts out, with all the problem it entails".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nintendo Kid posted:

The veto can be overridden by the legislature. Just like with the Presidents or equivalents in a bunch of European countries, or like in Icleand where instead of the overriding being done by the legislature, it's instead done by a country-wide referendum.
And in some constitutional monarchies the royal veto can be overridden by the highest court, or in the case of the Belgian example given earlier the same effective thing can be achieved by other means. It's still giving a single person power of veto over the entire legislature, which de facto hasn't existed in Westminster systems since the 18th century. There is no singular person with that kind of veto power in a Westminster system whether it can be subverted or not, except in Westminster systems with royalty.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Something weather related I'm guessing. Not climate zones though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nintendo Kid posted:

What about it? Congress chose to authorize that power in the past, particularly through various military treaties. Also last I checked many if not most royals aren't allowed to wage war without their parliaments' approval. So it's a bit anachronistic to call that quasi-royal isn't it?

That's the point, ceremonial monarchs don't have their old royal powers anymore, which is one of the reasons why they are acceptable now.

And you really think that Obama's war against ISIS is authorized by the Iraq AUMF?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kurtofan posted:

yeah great, very stable system of politics. "hope a revolution bursts out, with all the problem it entails".

It was meant as a joke, so please relax.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Torrannor posted:

That's the point, ceremonial monarchs don't have their old royal powers anymore, which is one of the reasons why they are acceptable now.

And you really think that Obama's war against ISIS is authorized by the Iraq AUMF?

I assure you that congress is extremely in favor of bombing ISIS. Hell what they want is more troops on the ground.

They keep reauthorizing the money to keep up the military stuff which is approval as all hell. Sounds more like you're upset that the precise mechanism of wars isn't exactly the same as pedophile island uses. If they weren't down with it, he couldn't afford to do it.

Grand Fromage posted:

Something weather related I'm guessing. Not climate zones though.

That's getting pretty close!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Anyway try this one:

Some kind of old growing/planting season map?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Here's the full original image:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Could also be 'best times to visit parts of the US' :v:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Anyway try this one:

Snowfall amounts.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Gulf Coast and the Sonoran Desert are the only parts of continental U.S. not to have fall colors?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
e: gently caress wrong page

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

Seems gay and retarded lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nintendo Kid posted:

the color of her hair

euclidian88
Aug 3, 2013
To be fair the value for money of the royal family is seeing a whole load of autists sperg out over it. So good job thread.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

the color of her hair

Outer Banks through Texas and California seem to have got it straight.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Kurtofan posted:

the color of her hair
Great, now I have that song running around in my head.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Phlegmish posted:

Really? Through which democratic channels have they expressed that preference?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liechtenstein_constitutional_referendum,_2012

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

quote:

The Royal family threatened to veto the referendum if it resulted in a vote in favour of removing the veto.

:laffo:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Liechtenstein is crazy because the prince has actual power. It's also a backwards shithole considering topics such as abortion.

It's not a good example of a 21st century constitutional monarchy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

Haha you don't know anything about politics. Why don't you go ahead and describe these supposed quasi-royal powers (which are probably just powers that the prime minister or whatever the gently caress has in other countries),

1930s, the one who abdicated. Real piece of poo poo, that guy.

Very carefully.

Anyway try this one:

Growing Zones? Or something to do with first frost?

edit: oh missed a page

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 7, 2015

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Donations in support and against Prop 8 a few years back.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Dang, I was going to guess "grooviest color in 1975".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Jaramin posted:

Donations in support and against Prop 8 a few years back.
This map still obscures how the campaign was funded by the Mormon church.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurtofan posted:

Hey, it worked the last four times. For a while.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Echo Chamber posted:

This map still obscures how the campaign was funded by the Mormon church.

Nah, you can see the huge swathe of pink dots under the blue lines from New England. I was expecting them to come from the South, too, so it was all the more jarring.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Orange County being full of conservative dickwads is not surprising either.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Living quarters of people who have a genetic mutation for upside down nose growth.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The Crown Estate:

I pulled this from the official website, which says that the Crown Estate isn't actually the Queen's personal property; it's owned by "the Crown" in the sense of the sovereign. Okay, that makes sense. But then it also says that the Queen gets a guaranteed 15% of the income from the estate, so isn't that kind of a personal property interest? It's really hard for me to believe that the Queen (or her people) just sit back and passively accept that their income might rise or fall, without getting involved with political/policy decisions about how the Estate should be managed.

I also have some other, less politicized questions. Is this the only public land in the UK, or does the government own land outside of this legal structure? (I know from the website that the Windsor family own personal property outside this structure.) What's the management philosophy for the land? Is the main goal to generate revenue, or are there conflicting goals (environmental protection, wind power, etc). What happens when two goals conflict? I know in the US, Congress has set out broad legal frameworks to govern this (so the Interior Department can't just drill for oil in a wilderness area). But maybe in a parliamentary system, there's not that kind of check and balance?

Spam is haram.

The Crown estates are super complex but basically if the monarchy was abolished they get to keep them and pretty much everything belonging to the Crown as they surrender them to Parliament in return for not having g to pay the Civil Service anymore.

Austria is currently working on just how much they owe Otto Von Hapsburg for a very similar reason, but courts say its a lot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I wanted to say "Germans", but Germans would be more prominent in the middle bits and less prominent in New England. So - Serbs?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

The Crown estates are super complex but basically if the monarchy was abolished they get to keep them and pretty much everything belonging to the Crown as they surrender them to Parliament in return for not having g to pay the Civil Service anymore.

Austria is currently working on just how much they owe Otto Von Hapsburg for a very similar reason, but courts say its a lot.

there's this thing called nationalization that britain has done some of in the past :ussr:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

there's this thing called nationalization that britain has done some of in the past :ussr:

Nationalization is not a permanent solution, if history is something to go by. Sbaldrick mentioned an example from Austria. Similarly the Czech republic is still dealing with returning property to the Church and to aristocrats, more than half a century after nationalization. Needless to say it inspires less than elegant popular passions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The Crown Estate:

I pulled this from the official website, which says that the Crown Estate isn't actually the Queen's personal property; it's owned by "the Crown" in the sense of the sovereign. Okay, that makes sense. But then it also says that the Queen gets a guaranteed 15% of the income from the estate, so isn't that kind of a personal property interest? It's really hard for me to believe that the Queen (or her people) just sit back and passively accept that their income might rise or fall, without getting involved with political/policy decisions about how the Estate should be managed.

I also have some other, less politicized questions. Is this the only public land in the UK, or does the government own land outside of this legal structure? (I know from the website that the Windsor family own personal property outside this structure.) What's the management philosophy for the land? Is the main goal to generate revenue, or are there conflicting goals (environmental protection, wind power, etc). What happens when two goals conflict? I know in the US, Congress has set out broad legal frameworks to govern this (so the Interior Department can't just drill for oil in a wilderness area). But maybe in a parliamentary system, there's not that kind of check and balance?

It's administered by a public trust, which is owned by Parliament. The Treasury takes in whatever revenue it generates, and that money goes into general revenue, less whatever the current deal is with the monarchs, which is the 15%. George III essentially traded it to Parliament in exchange for them assuming the cost of the administering the state, because the revenues from the Crown Estate couldn't pay for it anymore. So it's really just public land, but with a fancy name owing to the history, same as Crown Land here in the Dominions. It's administered according to whatever rules Parliament feels like setting for itself, because Parliament is sovereign.

Various branches of the government definitely do own land outside that structure. The military owns plenty of the country, just like anywhere (except Costa Rica I guess?); other government departments do too. Lots of public land floating around, but usually owned by a more local authority rather than the United Kingdom at large.

The monarchy owns land separately from that too, I think Balmoral Castle is properly owned by the Queen, although I have no idea if it's just a fee simple title, or something more unusual.

steinrokkan posted:

Nationalization is not a permanent solution, if history is something to go by. Sbaldrick mentioned an example from Austria. Similarly the Czech republic is still dealing with returning property to the Church and to aristocrats, more than half a century after nationalization. Needless to say it inspires less than elegant popular passions.

Since Parliament is supreme, there's nothing that could legally stop them from confiscating whatever land rights they wanted, or just refusing to pay the monarchy. But yeah, the public would be pissed.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 8, 2015