Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I'm in Canada so I guess black willow's my first pick. This stuff doesn't generally seem like it's worth selling- I'm assuming I pretty much have to luck into finding a recently-felled tree to get a hold of some?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I'm in Canada so I guess black willow's my first pick. This stuff doesn't generally seem like it's worth selling- I'm assuming I pretty much have to luck into finding a recently-felled tree to get a hold of some?

Maybe find someone who has a willow tree and ask if you can chop a branch off? It's not like you need an especially large amount of it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Seems to me the problem is that wood is the wrong material. Metal makes a better spring. Maybe a hybrid of materials.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The other thing which sprang (:v:) to mind as fitting those particular characteristics was drumsticks, which according to wiki are usually made of hickory, maple or occasionally oak. So that might be another option.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Well crap :mad: Lost out on the clamps. The fella said he'd hold them for me, and today was the first day we were both free. I called ahead and found that someone basically bought up his entire shop yesterday (he was selling lots of power tools and the like) and wanted the clamps along with 'em; offered an additional $100 and the dude said okay. Ah well.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Skimmed through the last few pages and didn't see any mention of it, so here ya go. Grizzly is recalling some 10 inch hybrid table saws due to the possibility of the drive pulley contacting the blade and throwing shrapnel at you.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
All done the end table for my living room. Cherry with a spalted birch panel for the door. I made it to match my stereo stand, needs a bit of sun to darken a bit more to truly match.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

All done the end table for my living room. Cherry with a spalted birch panel for the door. I made it to match my stereo stand, needs a bit of sun to darken a bit more to truly match.

Nice. drat nice, in fact. Funny that walnut bleaches in sunlight and cherry darkens....I don't think I knew that about cherry.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Does anyone have a domino and want to share their thoughts? I don't really see any negative reviews besides price. I have a project coming up that it would be useful for and the wife wanted to buy me one to celebrate passing my boards.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So what tips for keeping that expensive varnish fresh have you people got? Been looking around and what seems a good idea are dosing/dispening pumps, that way I can just keep a premixed batch of wiping varnish or poly and pump out what I need and never open a jar again.

I just bought 3 of ebay that can be attached to things like glass coke bottles and whatnot.

Keeping opened jars upside down is another thing I see repeated often.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
I've read that bloxygen is the good stuff for keeping finishes nice.

It's basically a squirt can of argon. Noticed the other day the hardware store is now selling small bottles of argon for welding purposes so all I gotta do is source some hose and a tap and it should be right to try. I think.

Although all my non water based finishes are gone off in the can at the moment so I don't have much incentive to try it out yet!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Made a small octagonal patio table:

Applied stain, I am not sure if this table wouldn't have looked nicer without it and just gone directly to spar varnish, but oh well I wanted it to fit in with the furniture it will go along with. Going to varnish it later:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nice, I like the big chunky splines.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Made a small octagonal patio table:

Applied stain, I am not sure if this table wouldn't have looked nicer without it and just gone directly to spar varnish, but oh well I wanted it to fit in with the furniture it will go along with. Going to varnish it later:

I like a light stain on pine and all the various coloration that comes with. I did a similar color yesterday on a pine 6 panel door I've been installing in a pocket.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Holy hell jointers are heavy. Finally found a craigslist deal too tempting to pass up and got a busy bee (Canadian equivalent to grizzly apparently) 6" jointer in nice shape for $110. Not particularly fun trying to lift that into the back of an suv to bring home but we managed. I think it probably weighs around 200lbs. Disappointing that I won't be able to put it to use until I get a bit more free time to clear some space in the garage.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm a basic wood-worker looking to continue my skills / abilities.

I'm looking at a way to use my router (Sans table for now) to follow another piece/pattern below it.
Basically I have a template of something cut out and ready to go and I want to follow it easier than making 20 cuts and working with my band saw.. me and band saws don't' work well and it's hard to get a symmetrical thingamajig (in this case shield, or doll cradle)

this is the router bit I want right?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_72256-353-85441MC_1z0vita__?productId=1099107&pl=1&Ntt=1%26%2334%3B+flush+trim

I'm interested in the 1/2 inch shank over the 1/2 inch shank one for durability.. if it's not going to make a difference I"d rather go 1/4 in ch shank because then I don't need to change collets and bits.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Squibbles posted:

Holy hell jointers are heavy.

Oh yes. Real machines are heavy as hell. I never realized band saws were so heavy until I had to move a vintage Delta.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I really can't afford it, but I'm really considering offering this guy $1000.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tater_salad posted:

I'm a basic wood-worker looking to continue my skills / abilities.

I'm looking at a way to use my router (Sans table for now) to follow another piece/pattern below it.
Basically I have a template of something cut out and ready to go and I want to follow it easier than making 20 cuts and working with my band saw.. me and band saws don't' work well and it's hard to get a symmetrical thingamajig (in this case shield, or doll cradle)

this is the router bit I want right?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_72256-353-85441MC_1z0vita__?productId=1099107&pl=1&Ntt=1%26%2334%3B+flush+trim

I'm interested in the 1/2 inch shank over the 1/2 inch shank one for durability.. if it's not going to make a difference I"d rather go 1/4 in ch shank because then I don't need to change collets and bits.

Those are fine. I think you mean 1/2 over 1/4 shank? You get much better torque translated with the bigger shaft, less chatter, smoother cut, etc. I've got a pile of Grizzly bits, never had a problem with them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hypnolobster posted:

Chingala that's a hella jointer and hella deal! That's sad and you see it all the time, guys been in the bidness for decades, health issues force them to sell.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

This is the most impractical thing to move unless you have a legitimate woodworking business going I imagine. Then it sinks through the floor.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Moving it isn't a problem, it's more that I don't even own a planer yet that makes it impractical. But at the same time, I'd really like a 8" jointer over a 6, and most 8" used jointers are at least $700+

At that point, why not spend the extra few hundred bucks for an ancient, infinitely repairable monster that's twice the size (and will hold value forever).

e: can you tell I'm trying real hard to talk myself into buying it?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hypnolobster posted:

Moving it isn't a problem, it's more that I don't even own a planer yet that makes it impractical. But at the same time, I'd really like a 8" jointer over a 6, and most 8" used jointers are at least $700+

At that point, why not spend the extra few hundred bucks for an ancient, infinitely repairable monster that's twice the size (and will hold value forever).

e: can you tell I'm trying real hard to talk myself into buying it?

I've seen rigged up add-on things that use a big jointer as a planer, so if you went that route you've got a 16" planer too. 3-phase, I'd guess?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've got a bigass 5hp 220 single phase motor sitting around just waiting to run that thing. It's 3ph as it sits.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Those are fine. I think you mean 1/2 over 1/4 shank? You get much better torque translated with the bigger shaft, less chatter, smoother cut, etc. I've got a pile of Grizzly bits, never had a problem with them.

Like I said.. my other bits from my starter kit are 1/4 and if it didn't make a difference I'd keep the 1/4. but the above means that I'll get the 1/2 inch.
Back to page 247 where I Belong.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hypnolobster posted:

I've got a bigass 5hp 220 single phase motor sitting around just waiting to run that thing. It's 3ph as it sits.

It's calling your name....

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

That and this bandsaw have been on the NW ohio / SE michigan craigslist for so long. I'd just have to knock down a wall or two to get either in.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I hate you all a little bit. I've been watching CL for months now waiting for a good band saw to come up for reasonable money and it's just not happening. My theory is that Las Vegas was never that kind of city. We don't have the industrial heritage to support an inventory of old tools. Instead I get a bunch of HF stuff for "might as well buy it new" prices.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

King Hotpants posted:

I hate you all a little bit. I've been watching CL for months now waiting for a good band saw to come up for reasonable money and it's just not happening. My theory is that Las Vegas was never that kind of city. We don't have the industrial heritage to support an inventory of old tools. Instead I get a bunch of HF stuff for "might as well buy it new" prices.

Similar boat here. There isn't much variety and when anything remotely like a good deal pops up it's sold literally in minutes.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Made a guitar stand out of African Mahogany. Happy with how it turned out. The guitar fits in there well and the grain on this wood is amazing. It's almost holographic and changes as the viewing angle changes. I went to the hardwood store without any specific wood in mind, just wanted to use something different than walnut for a change and was really glad they had this.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrPete posted:

I've read that bloxygen is the good stuff for keeping finishes nice.

It's basically a squirt can of argon. Noticed the other day the hardware store is now selling small bottles of argon for welding purposes so all I gotta do is source some hose and a tap and it should be right to try. I think.

Although all my non water based finishes are gone off in the can at the moment so I don't have much incentive to try it out yet!

That's one of those simple things you wonder why nobody'd thought of it yet. Also :lol: that's the shortest MSDS I've ever seen -- the whole point is that it's completely inert, the only hazard is letting it displace your oxygen.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I did just the worst thing. I'd decanted some varnish into a jar and diluted it, applied it on the table and then I just forgot the jar sitting outside, with the lid open overnight! And I could tell the temperature had dropped below freezing too.

EDIT:
Also I am thinking about dropping some cash on better sandpaper. I have this Festool RTS 400 sander and I am just using it with big round cheapo sandpaper that doesn't even fit properly. So I was thinking I'd buy some bulk sandpaper from Germany, I can get 100x and 50x packs, I think I could go for two packs, one 100 and one 50, or maybe 3 x 50 packs.

But what grits?! I am thinking 60 120 320, but that's just of the top of my head.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 11, 2015

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Heed the siren call of mirka, life's too short for bad sandpaper.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I was under the impression that festools own sandpaper was high quality?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm sure it's fine, I'm just having flashbacks to my foolish purchase of Lidl sandpaper.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Started looking at Mirka anyway, I suppose I should support locally made stuff, seems to be considered to be even better. And it's main plant is in Jeppo, of all places, I've driven past there a few times. That's just awesome, little Jeppo home of potato farmers and world famous Mirka.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
And I stand in Nykarleby this very moment, looking at plywood :finland:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Let me know what prices they had. Used to buy via work but not sure if it's worth it, 30 euros a piece for a full sheet, no difference if it's 4mm or 9mm. The time before that I got 12 and 18mm birch plywood for 20 euros a piece. I was told their supplied (Finskas) had been bought up by Stark and it seems that whenever some company merges into a bigger one, everything goes to heck.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Another vote for Mirka paper. Stuff owns and isn't gently caress off expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dumbass basic lumber questions: I want to knock some shelves/racks and a workbench together to turn my garage from cuboid of junk to usable workspace, I naively thought I'd use 2x2 and 2x4s, turns out A: it's all metric over here and B: there's a dozen different types and I basically realised I know nothing about wood.

So do I want untreated sawn timber, 47x100 & 47x50? Or should I be buying CLS or C16 or what?