Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neowyrm posted:

My love of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is very well documented, but I will say that this series and the films have some of the most boring-rear end music, like god drat. Brian Tyler's stuff is pretty good, but Ramin Djawadi and Bear McCreary are the worst

Weird, because Bear McCreary's soundtrack for BSG was absolutely incredible and even if you didn't like the style, at the very least very noteworthy and undeniably integral to the feel of the show in a way very few soundtracks are. I've never seen him do anything that standout on any other show, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

MikeJF posted:

Weird, because Bear McCreary's soundtrack for BSG was absolutely incredible and even if you didn't like the style, at the very least very noteworthy and undeniably integral to the feel of the show in a way very few soundtracks are. I've never seen him do anything that standout on any other show, though.

Yeah, is it McCreary (an insane opinion) or just the song he did for shield (a fair point)?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Human Target and Sarah Connor Chronicles soundtracks were good and I really like the Agents of SHIELD theme. Haven't had a chance to listen to the soundtrack yet, though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
TBH I don't remember a good theme that isn't from the 80's.

Edit: X-Files, I guess. But after that nothing comes to mind.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Neowyrm posted:

My love of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is very well documented, but I will say that this series and the films have some of the most boring-rear end music, like god drat. Brian Tyler's stuff is pretty good, but Ramin Djawadi and Bear McCreary are the worst

Uhhh.... wrong?

They occasionally get boring things to work with but I'd say they're both pretty amazing when it comes to stuff like Game of Thrones, Black Sails, BSG, Caprica, Outlander, Defiance, Da Vinci's Demons, Prison Break, Iron Man, and The Walking Dead.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Tarquinn posted:

Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and Raising Hope all come to mind.

Agents of SHIELD has a memorable sting, but like Daredevil, I can't seem to hum it without hearing an example.

Of course, I'm talking about personal mindworms, your results may vary.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I really hope we get an equivalent to "Prelude to War" eventually. Probably my favorite song from the BSG soundtrack.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Phylodox posted:

The Human Target and Sarah Connor Chronicles soundtracks were good and I really like the Agents of SHIELD theme. Haven't had a chance to listen to the soundtrack yet, though.

Human Target had a great season 1 soundtrack and theme but that second season was pretty bad. Ruined a good show.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Digital Jedi posted:

Human Target had a great season 1 soundtrack and theme but that second season was pretty bad. Ruined a good show.

That's because they fired Bear McCreary

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and Raising Hope all come to mind.

Agents of SHIELD has a memorable sting, but like Daredevil, I can't seem to hum it without hearing an example.

Of course, I'm talking about personal mindworms, your results may vary.

I'll give you GoT, but I have watched every episode of TWD and cannot remember its theme for the life of me.

But yeah, the problem seems to be two-fold. First, as a kid I was paying more attention to TV and secondly, there have not been really all that many theme songs that play at the start of the episode since they started doing that one second intro showing just the title. I was a huge fan of that, but now I want longer titles back for some reason.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Shows with a catchy enough theme song make you want more than the one second title card.

Raising Hope, for instance, was catchy enough, and went back and forth from one second title card/full intro enough that it got stuck in my head.

The Walking Dead's theme is pretty simple, but there's that one bit where the "dread" kicks in that I can't shake.

Dexter also had a pretty memorable theme song and credits theme, now that I think of it.

I can think of more memorable themes, but I think that kids really do pay more attention to TV than adults, you're right.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The only Bear McCreary piece i really find memorable is the Walking Dead theme, but i am also one of those people who never notice soundtracks, unless they are really good or really bad.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tarquinn posted:

FarScape, Mad Men...

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Tarquinn posted:

Adventure Time.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Oasx posted:

The only Bear McCreary piece i really find memorable is the Walking Dead theme, but i am also one of those people who never notice soundtracks, unless they are really good or really bad.

Have you not seen BSG? A Good Lighter, Passacaglia, Prelude to War, Admiral and Commander, and the theme are all fantastic pieces.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Flash has an awesome theme, too. Can't wait for that soundtrack to be released.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I like White Collar but that partly because it's short and to the point. Still, after all these years "best opening credits" still belongs to either M*A*S*H or Cheers.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I like White Collar but that partly because it's short and to the point. Still, after all these years "best opening credits" still belongs to either M*A*S*H or Cheers.

Or OG Star Trek.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Pander posted:

Have you not seen BSG? A Good Lighter, Passacaglia, Prelude to War, Admiral and Commander, and the theme are all fantastic pieces.

"Resurrection Hub" was instantly memorable to me.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Digital Jedi posted:

Oh man I forgot all about Human Target

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So far I'm really enjoying the soundtrack. Rocket Launch, Aftermath of the Uprising, and Cello Concerto are the stand-outs after one listen.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Strong start to the dub-off.

Some of Bear's music is excellent though - BSG is obviously excellent, but I started watching Black Sails purely because I saw he had scored it and really enjoyed that. Liking Outlander as well although I'm only a few episodes in.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
In the 0.001% chance that there's still people that haven't seen the end of last season (or if you want to refresh your memory of what happened back in May), they're re-airing the 2nd part of last season's finale right now on ABC.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh man I forgot all about Human Target

Season 1 is just great. Season 2 is not. Only Guerrero's scenes are worth watching.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Digital Jedi posted:

Season 1 is just great. Season 2 is not. Only Guerrero's scenes are worth watching.

Jackie Earle Haley really needs to be a superhero again...or at least Guerrrero

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
AoS has uploaded their entry!
https://www.crowdrise.com/dubsmashwars

Upped the game a bit too.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ensign_Ricky posted:

drat, Skye workin on the guns

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

PunkBoy posted:

I really hope we get an equivalent to "Prelude to War" eventually. Probably my favorite song from the BSG soundtrack.
One Year Later is another great track. He really added a lot to the mood of the show, especially with character-specific themes which I don't know if he's done for other shows. Lee's theme was probably the standout for me (the main Olympic Carrier melody).

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, it's hard to be consistently great, and his career blew up after BSG so he got deals to score a ton of shows/films/games. It doesn't help that a lot of the projects he's scored since then haven't been all that good to begin with.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

uh, THAT'S NOT HER NAME!

but yeah those guns :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh yea, that was a good step up there.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I have a feeling we're gonna she her kicking rear end every episode this season.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

ahaha, AoS wins by a mile

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
BSG and Buffy are the only shows I can think of where the intro music actually added in a 'more than the sum of its parts' way. Maybe Scrubs and Firefly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The theme for Black Sails is really cool and his music seems to be better when he has the freedom to use weird instruments.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

BSG and Buffy are the only shows I can think of where the intro music actually added in a 'more than the sum of its parts' way. Maybe Scrubs and Firefly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGa_7r6mPJU

X-Files too for sure

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

twistedmentat posted:

I have a feeling we're gonna she her kicking rear end every episode this season.

I am looking forward to the inevitable SkyeDaisy vs. Ward fight.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That's ... not even a question of who wins that round. I do have to wonder - what were those "wrecking balls" doing before used in the clip? Was that a prop warehouse or something?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Patton Oswald makes everything better.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Air is lava! posted:

Patton Oswald makes everything better.

Well, between him and Miss Piggy he is the better Muppet.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

double nine posted:

That's ... not even a question of who wins that round. I do have to wonder - what were those "wrecking balls" doing before used in the clip? Was that a prop warehouse or something?

They look like mashed together exercise equipment to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Vitamin P posted:

Was always fond of Community's, especially the subtle changes to the visuals. Friends was iconic as well. Not good, but iconic.

• Locked thread