Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

kznlol posted:

I think you'd have a pretty weak argument if you tried to say that cutting 10 hours of stand up comedy to 30 minutes adds as much value as cutting 10 hours of a stream to 30 minutes does.

Actually it would be a pretty strong argument? Just because you say "only part of a thing is valuable to me" doesn't actually make it so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Has nobody ever told LD that shiruken is not a word or does he just not care

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
(This post is long. I'm sorry. Just move to the next one if you don't care about the legality of YouTube videos.)

Wezlar posted:

I'm genuinely confused as to how this makes sense. For example If I cut 10 hours of Louis CK stand up into a 30 minute montage can I monetize that on youtube?

edit: On the topic of the pros not losing money because they don't cut the footage up etc. that's a pretty narrow outlook. They still own the footage, just because NoobfromUA is faster to cut it up and put it on youtube doesn't mean they no longer own it.

Streaming a game itself is the kind of act that normally would be considered a massive copyright violation, though a lot of people think simply talking over it with relevant things to say transforms it into a newly unique work. It's not court-tested, and it's probably better that way given that it might not pass if it did. I mean, Rifftrax doesn't get to hand out royalty-free copies of The Dark Knight with their satire track layered on it. On the other hand, PewDiePie adds himself screaming and falling out of a chair to footage of a zombie game, and he's literally a millionaire while the zombie game mostly gets unexpected publicity, because the addition of his reaction is considered to transform the nature of that video.

If game copyrights were defended as vigorously as some other visual mediums, who the gently caress knows if Twitch would have streams of anything other than abandonware and indie games.

The only way a streamer could really stick a copyright strike against NUA is if his video is a sourced from their own stream, and the streamer could point to the stream where it came from. If I just want to spectate PPD playing whatever in DotaTV, set the camera and the fog to his perspective, and record it, I can. I don't owe him a thing. If somebody streams their hosted Street Fighter open lobby, they don't owe whoever shows up to play in that lobby any of the channel revenue, just as you don't get a share of Arteezy's stream money by playing ranked and being matched with him ("I supported ur rear end on strim give me money!")

But if PPD makes a video commentating with his draft strategy or whatever and I just duplicate that on my channel with his annotation and no other changes, then that's his content and can be reported for stealing his content.

It's not too surprising, but YouTube has a big community of people making videos presenting the different facets of uploading game footage and how to do it as legally as possible. They do a much more thorough job than the Twitch community largely can be bothered with because they have to deal with Content ID. In fact, a large part of Twitch's pitch to streamers is the idea that it's easy; encouraging people to just sign up and stream poo poo and let administration sort it out.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 7, 2015

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
whys every retard who weighs in on this noobfromua poo poo just regurgitate wrong poo poo abotu fair use gently caress

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

shirooken

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Digital Chaos will debut vs. Root in the Nanyang Dota 2 Championships: American Qualifiers at 6PM EDT.

Won't be able to view watch it unfortunately but I'm super interested in the the Biryu hype.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Stop posting craptacular

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Won't someone think of the content producers?!?!?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Khagan posted:

Digital Chaos will debut vs. Root in the Nanyang Dota 2 Championships: American Qualifiers at 6PM EDT.

Won't be able to view watch it unfortunately but I'm super interested in the the Biryu hype.

Word seems to be that they've been getting dumpstered in scrims but I'd be surprised if they don't destroy ROOT

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Why does anyone give a poo poo about what arteezy/zai thinks? They make money streaming unlicensed music every day, why should anyone respect their copyright claims?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

TheRat posted:

Why does anyone give a poo poo about what arteezy/zai thinks? They make money streaming unlicensed music every day, why should anyone respect their copyright claims?

It's about ethics in gaming journalism.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if the players didn't want him doing it they should post their own matchmaking games up. or is it just redarchon that does that.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Wezlar posted:

Word seems to be that they've been getting dumpstered in scrims but I'd be surprised if they don't destroy ROOT

Source?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

icefrog told him to start pronouncing aegis wrong after i got him into the habit of saying it right because "in dota it's ayjis"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Reddit blows up every slight controversy because hot takes get you upvotes and now I guess we have to talk about it because some guy keeps writing essays on the subject

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Goetta posted:

Reddit blows up every slight controversy because hot takes get you upvotes and now I guess we have to talk about it because some guy keeps writing essays on the subject

I just went to the Dota 2 reddit and there are 9 threads about it on the first page. Truly a miserable world we live in.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Stop posting craptacular

You really seem to like bitching about it in this thread, though.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

TheRat posted:

lmao

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

People were talking about them getting 3-0'd by complexity and masons team on GrandGrants stream on Friday

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

The Real Foogla posted:

Actually it would be a pretty strong argument? Just because you say "only part of a thing is valuable to me" doesn't actually make it so.

No, it's actually a disastrous argument.

I'm sure you watch streams specifically for the 35 minute queues.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
there is going to be more na dota on beyond the summit in four hours.

really had to dig to find that info.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

This is like the best of mixing people who think they are morally right to torrent movies because they want free movies and people who got their law degree on wikipedia.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 7, 2015

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
There are two different joinDOTA sets going on so :shrug:

Stop posting, start watching.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

imagine if demon had stole the purse when reddit existed and there had been 20+ simultaneous discussions about the ethics of it

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Holy poo poo Miggel is on this Danish Bears team, that guy haven't played pro dota for two years. He was my favorite clock player back on Sigma :allears:

Also 11% odds for Danish Bears against Kuros team and they're winning right now, dota2lounge in action

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
If they dont rax in the next 10 minutes PL is going to get too huge.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
these casters on helfa are retards.

*slack jaw voice*: what how did am lose? wut, no one on his team has farm huh

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Danish bears has exMYM players and Miggel? Miggel is awesome that dude has no fear and always makes sick plays back then. 5Jungz is poo poo

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

RiskyChris posted:

If they dont rax in the next 10 minutes PL is going to get too huge.
Well, they got a lane of rax but PL is still getting huge, and PA is going to have problems if this goes much later.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
This Magnus and Lina combo need to do more than hide behind the PA.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

Incoherence posted:

Well, they got a lane of rax but PL is still getting huge, and PA is going to have problems if this goes much later.

Yeah way too passive play after they did quite well aggressive early on. Pl is actually unkillable now.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
5Jungz just threw that teamfight somehow.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

RiskyChris posted:

Yeah way too passive play after they did quite well aggressive early on. Pl is actually unkillable now.

ok

Also lol at some of the crits and bashes in that fight.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Incoherence posted:

5Jungz just threw that teamfight somehow.

The "somehow" was Ace getting every proc known to man

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
That PA buyback bait though

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

l m a o 5Jungz

Ace is the luckiest fucker

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ace went full bashlord

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
Basher what a fuckin item.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i can't believe people in this thread are falling for the hyper carry masturbatory line of thought.

you can't win if you are 30k gold behind, they didn't show the gold graph because they want to make the game seem closer than it actually is by invoking the inevitability of pl even though they had the tools to deal with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Arteezy was right

• Locked thread