Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I really hate Magic players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yawgmoth posted:

I think it's more the issue that whiny casuals are orders of magnitude more likely to whine that they didn't like it (especially on their cesspit of a forum) than anyone of any skill level is going to say "hey good job wizards I really liked this set and especially XYZ." So if you just look at who came to them and said a thing, it's wildly disproportionate.

You really think Mark Rosewater goes around trawling random forums to get feedback? He's talking based on the results of WotC's market research, not his casual browsing of MTG Salvation.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Try Ebay

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

This deck is doing pretty well and people are loving it on stream.....what, people want to buy the deck? Unacceptable!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

How do you even kill Lumbering Falls? We're gonna need Tec Edge up in here or your opponent's gonna need to have 0 other creatures and you have a sac effect.

By having a 4/4. If your deck doesn't run big enough creatures you might be in trouble though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Ahahahaha I have so many slivers I'm gonna be rich

Ojetor posted:

You really think Mark Rosewater goes around trawling random forums to get feedback? He's talking based on the results of WotC's market research, not his casual browsing of MTG Salvation.
No, I think WotC's market research is almost as bad as their digital product quality.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
"Many players did not like ROE draft because it operates on a completely different axis than other formats leading to you getting blown out if you draft it normally" just sounds like a valid argument market research aside. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Magic players are incapable of understanding that someone else didn't like a thing they liked to the point of assuming someone saying so must be lying.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
From what we've seen so far it certainly looks like they're trying to give the people who liked original ROE draft more of what they want while bringing in some of what people liked from Zendikar. If that Scythe Leopard is anything to go by, they're tuning down the power level of Landfall creatures a bit so I wouldn't expect any of the Plated Geopede type creatures that made ZEN draft so fast. I hope they actually managed to pull off a draft format where archetypes like Allies and Eldrazi Ramp are both actually good and viable.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Ojetor posted:

Ojetor posted:

I agree with you, but D&D next and RPGnet stand as pretty solid counterpoint :-p

A lot of people don't seem to grasp that Maro very much works in a world that assumes people who know nothing about magic, and don't interact much with the magic community. This crowd is very hard to work with because it's almost impossible to get data on them, but they're super important to the game because they're who transition into enfranchised players.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

+1 Untap up to 1 target creature and up to 1 target land.

-2 Reveal top 4 cards of your library. You may put up to 1 creature card and up to 1 land card into your hand. Put the rest into your graveyard.

-8 You get an emblem with "whenever a creature enters the battlefield under you control, you may have it fight with target creature and put 3 8/8 blue octopus into battlefield."

I'm not sure about the translation on that ultimate, sounds off.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 7, 2015

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
Awwww yussss Kiora

also:

Creature - Elemental
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on [CARDNAME].

Whenever damage is dealt to [CARDNAME], remove a +1/+1 counter and prevent that damage instead

E: it seems the guy who spoiled Ob Nixilis early was right:

Ob Nixilis Reignited
3BB
Planeswalker - Ob Nixilis
[+1]: Draw a card. You lose 1 life.
[-3]: Drestroy target creature.
[-8]: Target opponent gets an emblem with "When you draw a card lose 2 life."

GlennFinito fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 7, 2015

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

GlennFinito posted:

Scythe Leopard is probably one of the staples of the new coming standard.

I don't know, a 2/2 for 1 isn't that big a deal anymore, and I don't think that the upside is big enough to make it worth playing. Sure, you may get a 3/3 for one turn, but it's worse than a vanilla 2/1 after that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

+1 Draw a card, you lose 1 life
-3 Destroy Target Creature
-8 Whenever opponent draws a card they lose 2 life.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

+1 Draw a card, you lose 1 life
-3 Destroy Target Creature
-8 Whenever opponent draws a card they lose 2 life.

i'm the small, lava-filled holes where his nipples should be

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GlennFinito posted:

Awwww yussss Kiora

also:

Creature - Elemental
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on [CARDNAME].

Whenever damage is dealt to [CARDNAME], remove a +1/+1 counter and prevent that damage instead

I'm wondering if the damage is actually prevented if you don't have a counter to remove. The wording implies so, but I assume this is a fan translation so I'm not relying on that just yet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Some people are saying they're fakes, but I don't know, the link I got seemed to be off of Wizard's servers so :shrug:

Not to mention, the Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh image I got straight from here was posted on MTGS and they banned the guy who posted it for posting "bad fakes."

So I guess we will wait and see.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 7, 2015

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

+1 Untap up to 1 target creature and up to 1 target land.

-2 Reveal top 4 cards of your library. You may put up to 1 creature card and up to 1 land card into your hand. Put the rest into your graveyard.

-8 You get an emblem with "whenever a creature enters the battlefield under you control, you may have it fight with target creature and put 3 8/8 blue octopus into battlefield."

I'm not sure about the translation on that ultimate, sounds off.

For the ultimate, the emblem has the fight ability. After you get the emblem, then you get the three 8/8 octopi.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Booyah- posted:

For the ultimate, the emblem has the fight ability. After you get the emblem, then you get the three 8/8 octopi.

Needs a nontoken rider on the first clause though, otherwise it loops forever. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JerryLee posted:

Needs a nontoken rider on the first clause though, otherwise it loops forever. :v:

Good to see you are still illiterate.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JerryLee posted:

The ultimate is "You get an emblem with 'Your creatures fight when the enter the battlefield.' Then you get three 8/8s."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
MaRo stated that we're not getting all the enemy manlands in BFZ. We're getting a few in the next set (that has a stupid name.)

Also, does this mean that the black repeatable bitterblossom-esque card that ramps you is real? Because that thing is going to make delve unusable in standard.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

GeneX posted:

MaRo stated that we're not getting all the enemy manlands in BFZ. We're getting a few in the next set (that has a stupid name.)

Also, does this mean that the black repeatable bitterblossom-esque card that ramps you is real? Because that thing is going to make delve unusable in standard.

What was that supposed to do again?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
MaRo presided over the shitstain that was ZEN-WWK limited so I imagine his otherwise inexplicable disdain for ROE is borne out of irrational contempt for how poorly his set was received in comparison.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Good to see you are still illiterate.

Ah, I didn't parse the differences between the original posting of the ability and Booyah's correction.

e: And the elemental does indeed need a counter to get the damage prevention. Doesn't seem mythic at that point, to be quite honest.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Wurzag posted:

1B(B?) Enchantment.

Exile a card from the top of your opponents deck during your upkeep.

(1), return an exiled card to your opponent's graveyard: put an eldrazi scion into play.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Wurzag posted:

Pay 1, move a card from opponent's exile to the graveyard and get a 1/1 Eldrazi Scion with "sac: add 1"

Its not confirmed at all, some guy claimed it was real.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GlennFinito posted:

Awwww yussss Kiora

also:

Creature - Elemental

Haven't they only done that type of ability before on 0-toughness creatures so that if the last counter gets removed it dies? This guy just plain can't die to damage unless there's something lost in translation. Seems pretty good. Granted it still dies to "destroy target creature" spells and -X/-X effects so it's far from invincible.

Yup, there it is, damage only gets prevented if there's a +1/+1 counter to remove.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i wish ob nixilis's +1 was targeted. welp,

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Wurzag posted:

1, Put an opponents card from exile into their graveyard: Make an Eldrazi Scion token.

Add Impact Tremors (and a RIP effect where valid) for spice and just laugh your way to the bank.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

GeneX posted:

So assuming a 3/2 split and all five colours represented in BFZ, RW/BG, RW/WB, WB/RU are the likely combinations

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Ah, I didn't parse the differences between the original posting of the ability and Booyah's correction.

e: And the elemental does indeed need a counter to get the damage prevention. Doesn't seem mythic at that point, to be quite honest.

Seems like a Limited Bomb Mythic, yeah. Even though white has Sheer Drop and Flash-Journey to Nowhere at common and uncommon.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Kiora is interesting, the -2 is the reason to play her, but you do need quite a few good creatures to make it worthwhile. Maybe she'll see play if there is a midrange deck that runs too many big creatures for CoCo, but as of right now there is no good reason to play blue in such a deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kiora 2 and Nykthos (plus a Voyaging Satyr) would have been loving dumb as poo poo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

It's a pretty plain design but if mono-black control were ever a thing again this guy does everything that archetype wants- card advantage, defense, and inevitability. I think Standard is still too multi-colored to favor a deck like that but if it were around (or even Bx Control) he'd be a no-brainer. Also I can't believe I'm the first poster in invoke MBC with this card.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Seems like a Limited Bomb Mythic, yeah. Even though white has Sheer Drop and Flash-Journey to Nowhere at common and uncommon.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's constructed playable, especially with fetches in the environment--without even getting into magic fantasy land, it can attack for the first time as a 4/4 or bigger, that doesn't die easily to combat or burn-- but it feels more like a rare than a mythic nonetheless.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That 2/2 for 1GG doesn't look like it'll do much of anything until Khans rotates, if at all.

Both those Walkers look really fun, though.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

:monocle:

That's likely just a higher price tag since they've all been bought out, and only the ridiculously expensive sellers remain. Still, now I'm quite glad I ordered mine yesterday before they were all gone.

I would love to see this (come back) as a recurring mechanic.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

It's a pretty plain design but if mono-black control were ever a thing again this guy does everything that archetype wants- card advantage, defense, and inevitability. I think Standard is still too multi-colored to favor a deck like that but if it were around (or even Bx Control) he'd be a no-brainer. Also I can't believe I'm the first poster in invoke MBC with this card.
I think Abzan control will probably play this, the gameplan of the deck is to grind you out with Planeswalkers after stalling the board and this does that very well. Note that they're losing their best planeswalker in Elspeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's constructed playable, especially with fetches in the environment--without even getting into magic fantasy land, it can attack for the first time as a 4/4 or bigger, that doesn't die easily to combat or burn-- but it feels more like a rare than a mythic nonetheless.

That's probably because the feel of the card is very similar to Managorger Hydra. Wild Slash's Ferocious Trigger finally gets its day in the sun.

At the same cost, you're gonna have a tough time finding a reason to run this guy over the Den Protector/Deathmist Raptor combo.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 7, 2015

• Locked thread