Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

I live in West Rutland, Vermont and was not aware we even have a Mt. McKinley. Guy sounds like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

cyberia posted:

I was at a cafe yesterday and there was a very white, suburban lady yelling at her kid who was apparently named 'Aurelio'.

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aurelio Jones was to remember that distant afternoon when his mother took him to discover Starbucks."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

Yup. My mom nixed Galadriel, so dad had to get sneaky and actually find it in a baby name book before suggesting it.

My younger brothers both have totally normal names, I think my folks were either more hippy-ish when I was born or they thought they'd have more leeway with a girl.

At least he picked a nice name out of all the fantasy ones he could have snuck by your mom. Aleta's definitely not a terrible name.

I don't know what it is about girl names, though. One of my friends and his wife seriously considered naming a daughter Amara after a D&D character... but his wife wound up having a boy, which received a perfectly nice name in common usage.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Well there go my dreams.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

bringmyfishback posted:

Can I pick on your parents? Just a little? I'm sure they're good dudes, but....yikes.

Pick on them all you want, just not the poor kiddo who will doubtless be the butt of jokes

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aurelio Jones was to remember that distant afternoon when his mother took him to discover Starbucks."

:golfclap:

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

cyberia posted:

I was at a cafe yesterday and there was a very white, suburban lady yelling at her kid who was apparently named 'Aurelio'.

This isn't great, but it's not like it's made up. It's the Italian and Spanish form of Aurelius, as in Marcus. My niece has the feminine form of that name as well, which happens to have been the name of Julius Caesar's mother.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

All on Black posted:

This isn't great, but it's not like it's made up. It's the Italian and Spanish form of Aurelius, as in Marcus. My niece has the feminine form of that name as well, which happens to have been the name of Julius Caesar's mother.

It's a reasonable name but it's still funny hearing a mom yelling at little Aurelio coz he won't stop loving around while she tries to enjoy her pumpkin spice latte.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I recently got into a conversation with my parents about how they chose my name, and it came out that, had I been born a girl, they would have named me Bevin.

Luckily my middle name would have been Nicole so I could have used that for the rest of my life instead of Bevin. What the hell parents?

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

The Jumpoff posted:

I recently got into a conversation with my parents about how they chose my name, and it came out that, had I been born a girl, they would have named me Bevin.

Luckily my middle name would have been Nicole so I could have used that for the rest of my life instead of Bevin. What the hell parents?

Are they really, really big fans of the NHS?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just filed a report for a guy named Dick Taint.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

All on Black posted:

I had the same reaction and immediately thought of proud POC Marcus Aurelius. With Americans, just assume that 'white' is perfectly synonymous with 'Anglo-American' and things will start making sense.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cyberia posted:

You sure it wasn't Aurelian or Aurelien (French form)?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Kurtofan posted:

You sure it wasn't Aurelian or Aurelien (French form)?

No, definitely Aurelio. She had a very :australia: accent so it was easy to hear what she was saying.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Inzombiac posted:

Just filed a report for a guy named Dick Taint.

I read this like 4 times and my brain automatically subbed out "for" with "against" every time until the last.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Russian powerlifter Oleg Livshits.

You tell him his name is weird, I'm not saying anything.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Noyemi K posted:

Pick on them all you want, just not the poor kiddo who will doubtless be the butt of jokes

Awwww, man. :(

Just remind them that they can always change it later. Preferably to Megazone.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Holbrook. First name. Woman.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Holbrook. First name. Woman.

I'm down. Sounds like a good name for a hard-boiled 1930's lady private eye, or some kind of frontierswoman.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have a friend who got his daughter's name, Aven, from Magic The Gathering. I think it wasn't so much naming her 'after' any particular card as saying "I quite like the sound of that." But his wife knew the source of it was Magic and she was still cool with it. Apart from the nerdy provenance I think it's actually a nice name.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

bringmyfishback posted:

Awwww, man. :(

Just remind them that they can always change it later. Preferably to Megazone.

I'm changing my loving name to Megazone, I have seniority

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ah, I forgot about Megazone! I imagine his workmates are pretty resentful about having to call him by that drat name.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

schadenfraud posted:

Are they really, really big fans of the NHS?

Given that we're American (unless it stands for something else in America), no.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I've now seen a girl named Neva/Nevaeh (sp). Pronounced like Never if you're a movie villain.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

I've now seen a girl named Neva/Nevaeh (sp). Pronounced like Never if you're a movie villain.

It's Neveah because it's Heaven backwards.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DStecks posted:

I'm down. Sounds like a good name for a hard-boiled 1930's lady private eye, or some kind of frontierswoman.

Holbrook Crews, private eye.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

ibntumart posted:

At least he picked a nice name out of all the fantasy ones he could have snuck by your mom. Aleta's definitely not a terrible name.

I don't know what it is about girl names, though. One of my friends and his wife seriously considered naming a daughter Amara after a D&D character... but his wife wound up having a boy, which received a perfectly nice name in common usage.

My ex-husband insisted that if we ever had a daughter, he wanted to name her after the female lead in the new Zorro movies. Elena isn't a bad name, but a. I knew the provenance, and b. I would have secretly always thought of the FFVII character. :sigh: thank god I'm not a mom.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Dogfish posted:

It's Neveah because it's Heaven backwards.

... But... but that would be Haeven? or am I missing :thejoke:

I'm pretty sure it's the heaven-spelled-backwards one, but I haven't seen it written anywhere, the girl seemed to have a slight accent so her family may have moved here from somewhere else where the name would be normal if Neva.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

... But... but that would be Haeven? or am I missing :thejoke:

I'm pretty sure it's the heaven-spelled-backwards one, but I haven't seen it written anywhere, the girl seemed to have a slight accent so her family may have moved here from somewhere else where the name would be normal if Neva.

No, you're quite right, I just inverted the a and e when I was typing. Neva is a legit name, but they're not pronounced the same. Neva is NEE-va, Nevaeh is na-VAY-a.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagined posted:

I have a friend who got his daughter's name, Aven, from Magic The Gathering. I think it wasn't so much naming her 'after' any particular card as saying "I quite like the sound of that." But his wife knew the source of it was Magic and she was still cool with it. Apart from the nerdy provenance I think it's actually a nice name.

Do they pronounce it 'aven' or 'aven'?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Some poor baby was named Felony Meth by her jailed parents and her new grandma guardian wants to respect their wishes and keep the name. :( A couple people have suggested Melanie Beth, which I think is a nice compromise of respecting the sound of the names without dooming her to a lifetime of getting picked on/getting resumes thrown away (as a best case scenario).

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Say Nothing posted:

Russian powerlifter Oleg Livshits.

It sounds perfect to me. Oleg Liftsshit.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Ran into a Ballbinder today at work, that was fun.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0708104/

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Hiya Folks!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Is her brother Thatsall?

Perhaps a penguin
Dec 12, 2009
I work at a bike shop that does a lot of rentals, and as a deposit we usually hold onto a driver's license (or we copy a license and credit card) so i get to see a lot of em. Here are the best I've come by:

Dat Ho
Randy Ramsbottom
A girl who's first name was Bentlee

There was also a dude who's last name was Bonecutter :black101:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Awesome name for a change: Maverick :clint:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Met an Indian man named Arshdeep yesterday which seems unfortunate for someone living in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cyberia posted:

living in Australia.

Misfortune upon misfortune.