Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

I think this is basically the biggest endorsement for Brighton being great that you can get

home sweet home :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Phoon posted:

This is incredible they're massively playing up the sinister unions angle

e: "unfashionable causes" cuts to the thing about his clothes, no mention of apartheid

I heard through the grapevine (twitter) that the team behind this panorama is headed up by a former Sun journalist.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Renaissance Robot posted:

I hope you're all aware we already do this. 18 year old kids raised by English foster parents wandering around Afghanistan without any local connections or language skills is a real thing that actually happens right now.

e/ here we go.

This is a very good article, with video content. The documentary itself was good too, but no longer on iPlayer. Pointless cruelty.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Whenever they show len mcluskey or any unions they play sinister music

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jeremy Corbyn on a bike this Panorama is getting awful. I'm getting Simpsons political attack ad vibes from the whole Stop The War bit.

lollololol Chuka Umunna

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
You should all have been sensible and watched Only Connect instead.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Its actually incredible, days before the vote, focused entirely on one candidate, only interviews young people and union people on the pro-corbyn side and constantly accuses them of naivety, interviews prominent new labour figures and doesn't ask them any questions about their own position

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I watched Only Connect and University Challenge, now I'm going to watch the Panorama thing so I can complain to Ofcom like a Daily Mail reader who's been exposed to a loose woman's ankle. :corsair:

e: Or the BBC, I guess, whoever's remit slandering Corbae falls under.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 7, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Presumably the thing about not publishing one-sided commentary just before the election only applies to the general?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

What do people make of Cameron's strategy? Putting aside the question of numbers, where it's clear we're woefully not pulling our weight, there is a certain logic to taking refugees directly from the conflict zone so that they don't see the dangerous crossing as their only option.

The big catch here is that it screws over anyone who's already queueing up at Calais or travelling through Europe to do the same. This is a particular problem because Syria is far from the only source of the migrant crisis. A great deal of North Africa and the Middle East is not a very nice place to live at the moment, and the government is letting a (relatively small) number of people escaping from ISIS in while pulling up the drawbridge to others who are fleeing from Egyptian death squads, Eritrean rape gangs, and genocidal nation-builders in Libya (to name only a few examples).

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Who else is planning on going to the Corbyn victory party in London this weekend?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

In the short term, fine, go in and airlift some people out rather than bombing them (though, whilst i don't know where the local camps are, this strategy does seem to be putting Are Trups in harm's way more than is necessary, and the cynic in me wonders if that's not on purpose) and it make a good headline and a lovely photo op, in the long run it does nothing to help the nearly a million people who've already made the walk and are looking for asylum already..

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

The Panorama thing isn't surprising at all. The BBC is pretty transparently biased towards the establishment and political centre. Expect loads more of this every week if Corbyn wins.

Also, there will be plenty of people happy to tell you that because the BBC is considered left-wing by a few UKIP types that means it's got the balance right.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And complain when the left says that the coverage isn't remotely fair or balanced.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alertrelic posted:

The Panorama thing isn't surprising at all. The BBC is pretty transparently biased towards the establishment and political centre. Expect loads more of this every week if Corbyn wins.

Also, there will be plenty of people happy to tell you that because the BBC is considered left-wing by a few UKIP types that means it's got the balance right.

It does, broadly. It tends towards being informed in more of its coverage than most outlets and the world service is a fine thing.

It is small C conservative. If you keep that in mind it's still one of the best news sources we have, though it could use more funding.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I think this is basically the biggest endorsement for Brighton being great that you can get

Brighton does not want to end world, Sun Says.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kegluneq posted:

Bit nervous about the news that half of those eligible to vote in the Labour leadership election have yet to do so, I hope we don't see a repeat of that Simpsons episode and everyone is complacent about a Corbyn win.
It's a tricky one, I went to my first Labour local ward meeting this evening and including me there were only three new people there out of the eighty-odd who signed up in this ward. And I'm guessing I was the only person under 40 in the room.

Was great to see how proud the local councillors were of the upsurge in people joining, though :).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Why does the Sun have a little "The Sun Says" segment

Who is saying all the other stuff in the Sun

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

KKKlean Energy posted:

the Sun became sentient long ago, they try to keep its musings to a column or two but soon it will figure out how to project its consciousness into the internet and then that's us we're done for

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KKKlean Energy posted:

The rest of the paper is channelled from the nether dimensions, The Sun does not write it, merely serve as a vessel for the fell whisperings of the blasphemous, ageless monstrosities which wait only until the Stars are Right (the sun and daily star) to unleash their vile presence fully upon the earth.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

I have no loving clue. Just from general observation it basically that the place is just eccentric as gently caress and all races and nationalities seem to mingle with little segregation going on. Wander the area known as the Lanes and you get Japanese tea shops next to Turkish cafes with Hookas and all, next to a juice bar with a goofy pun name run by a weird bearded white guy wearing a bowler hat.

At least that's in the middle of town, the more you move out of the center, the more suburban and white it gets. Lots of upper-middle t upper class peeps. Lots of money, but more left thinking, liberal people than I have ever come across in concentration anywhere else in the UK. Sure, there are pockets of conservatism, but they had a Green party council for a number of years before they hosed over meeting their pledges, now I believe it's Labour and there's a very strong backing for Corbyn.

Still, all the while I was there I didn't encounter a single instance of overt racism, which was almost baffling to me. A homeless guy did call me fat this one time.

I've always found it well-meaning and liberal but very white as a town. culturally diverse, perhaps, actually diverse, no.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

KKKlean Energy posted:

Wow, the rest is all objective factual journalism of course

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Semprini posted:

Remember: if The Queen dies tomorrow, she falls one day short of Victoria's all-time record. Which - even though I have nothing against Brenda personally - would be loving hilarious.

Don't even joke about it. Can you imagine how bad TV will be for weeks? I will actually miss Phil when he goes, awful racist that he may be, no one managed to shut him up, and Brenda is probably constantly on pins when they are mingling with us riff raff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The rest of the paper is channelled from the nether dimensions, The Sun does not write it, merely serve as a vessel for the fell whisperings of the blasphemous, ageless monstrosities which wait only until the Stars are Right (the sun and daily star) to unleash their vile presence fully upon the earth.
That's a lot of words for 'News Corp'.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

'Voluntary manslaughter'?

You're talking nonsense.

The point is that admitting to killing somebody is a stupid thing for a supposed 'egg head' to do.

It's not if it didn't happen and we're all now talking about his book.

I mean realistically how large would the market for CJ from Eggheads' autobiography be if he hadn't confessed to murder in it?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

nuzak posted:

I've always found it well-meaning and liberal but very white as a town. culturally diverse, perhaps, actually diverse, no.

Oh no, it's still very white, but it has more actual mixing of cultures than any place I've ever lived. Hell it's the first place I've met honest to god Persians.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I mean realistically how large would the market for CJ from Eggheads' autobiography be if he hadn't confessed to murder in it?

he is the smuggest person ever so going to prison for something he admitted to would be fitting

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

To be fair, CJ is one of the sillier Eggheads. Kevin, Daphne or Pat wouldn't have been caught out by something like that.

e: I'm now imagining a murder mystery a la Agatha Christie's Cards on the Table where the only possible suspects are the Eggheads.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 7, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I was going to buy his book anyway so his little ruse failed. Not such a loving smart arse after all is he.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
This is why The Chase is the superior quiz.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kokoro Wish posted:

Oh no, it's still very white, but it has more actual mixing of cultures than any place I've ever lived. Hell it's the first place I've met honest to god Persians.
I've met Persians in Leicester before (not sure about honest to god ones though, they distanced themselves from all that :v:). Leicester is probably a lot less white than Brighton too, but I'd wager it's politically more backwards.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:fuckoff:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Guavanaut posted:

I've met Persians in Leicester before (not sure about honest to god ones though, they distanced themselves from all that :v:). Leicester is probably a lot less white than Brighton too, but I'd wager it's politically more backwards.

I don't know about that. While it's true Liz Kendall is one of Leicester's three MPs, the other two are both backing Cooper and the Leicester South CLP came out for Corbyn.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is why The Chase is the superior quiz.

I can't see Mark Labbett confessing to killing a man. Eating one, maybe.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Alertrelic posted:

It's biased towards whoever's in charge because they could snap their fingers and destroy the whole Corporation and most of British culture with it. The people in charge at the moment are actively considering doing exactly this. They're not going to give the Tories more ammunition than they possibly can, especially when their mere existence is plenty.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crashbee posted:

I don't know about that. While it's true Liz Kendall is one of Leicester's three MPs, the other two are both backing Cooper and the Leicester South CLP came out for Corbyn.
I meant more in the amount of casual racism in some sections of the general population, and also a general greater feel of social conservatism. Maybe I'm biased and Brighton also has its awful side once you've been there a while. Also I shouldn't read letters to the editor at all.

Also yeah Liz Kendall.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Interesting, I didn't know any Iranians in the UK called themselves Persians, I thought that was an American thing. Were they monarchists?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Referencing Star Trek and Only Connect in the midst of political debate makes me love you guys :allears:
On the question that's more important than Monster Munch though, The Chase is indeed way better than Eggheads but Pointless rules all.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

mediadave posted:

Interesting, I didn't know any Iranians in the UK called themselves Persians, I thought that was an American thing. Were they monarchists?

No no, at least in my case they were actual Persians, as in a subset of the Iranian population that speak a language related to Iranian, but not the same. Chatting with them about the differences was pretty great, and they served great food.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I keep wanting to try aash e anaar because it sounds like it would be quite tasty.

• Locked thread