Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Destroyenator posted:

Cool, it sounds like you've got it under control. The "you weren't happy" was because I don't know what feedback you're actually getting, it does sound a bit accusatory like that.

I suggested measurable goals so you can tell him upfront that you'll be aiming to fill them over the next week because it makes it easier to raise those things later. It goes from "Here's a grab bag of things that happened this week that went well/poorly" to "I'm going to aim to achieve this in the coming week" and "Here's how I went on the measures we picked last week". He should be involved in setting the goals and reviewing them, it doesn't need to be a formal thing but it's how you'll hopefully move him into giving you some concrete guidance. It probably won't save the situation but it also gives you something to talk about in interviews. People are (usually) aware that juniors need support you just want to be able to reassure them that you really were given nothing, not that you had support but couldn't manage without over and above handholding.

I certainly had a lot of things I wanted to talk about during one-on-ones, but I was too worried about getting a negative reaction to bring them up. Heck, even my concern about getting conflicting messages was really hard to actually bring up and it only happened because I was getting frustrated and desperate. That's a pretty big red flag, in retrospect. It doesn't look like there is any trust left on either side here, and I think that's a sign that communications have been long dead.

The measurable goals they've set down as of last meeting were "don't work from home", "no side projects", and "report to me your strategies before you implement them", the latter of which seems to be another conflicting message. The first two are fair in principle, but seem to be a symptom of not trusting me to get work done which both I and my history at the company will hotly contest is far from the case (and in fact I consider it rather condescending).

In the interest of fairness, here's where those first two points could be coming from. The story behind those two is that I worked from home maybe once or twice a week the past three weeks or so, which was brought on by general fatigue/commute burnout. (I have something like a 45 minute commute from home to work in the morning and again at night, which can go up to 2 hours total in a day if I have striking class as well. It's not fun.) Work was the primary focus throughout the day for those WFH days, but I understand that it reflects badly on me to do so and I avoid doing that now.

For the other, I have an interest in game development, so I've installed some game dev software on the company laptop to mess around with after hours. I had a Cocos2d-x project left open one day last week which I tabbed through while waiting on unit tests, and said manager was looking at me from afar and asked me if I was stuck on something because they saw me "working on a graphic" (the default project). I might be completely wrong in saying this, but it really really bothers me to have someone literally looking over my shoulder like that, and especially when they jump to conclusions in such a passive-aggressive yet accusatory way. Regardless, I am not mixing anything with work except work itself from now on. It's way too much of a liability and a weakness.

quote:

If you're struggling with nervousness plan out ahead of time what you want to get out of the meeting. Take a short list of things you want to discuss and cross them off as you go, it makes it easy to introduce new ideas/questions when there's a gap in conversation and it's a obvious signal to him that you've got a set of things to talk about and you'll be able to cover them all.

I've prepared my points in advance for a long time now, and they've said that it's good that I'm doing that, but that's little comfort in light of everything else.

That's my grumbling done. I don't think there's anything left to discuss other than "seriously start looking for another job", so...I guess this has been tapped out. In case this conversation peters out, thanks for the advice, everyone. Hopefully, this will help prevent things like this happening in the future. I'll do what I can on my part to make myself a better asset to employers.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

t I worked from home maybe once or twice a week the past three weeks or so, which was brought on by general fatigue/commute burnout. (I have something like a 45 minute commute from home to work in the morning and again at night, which can go up to 2 hours total in a day if I have striking class as well. It's not fun.) Work was the primary focus throughout the day for those WFH days, but I understand that it reflects badly on me to do so and I avoid doing that now.

That doesn't make sense. Presumably, you discussed working from home with your manager who agreed to it, or remote work is a standard perk that every developer has. If you didn't discuss it and it's not normal behavior, then that's 100% your fault.

Also a 45 minute commute is not considered long in most parts of the country and if you were complaining about it, I guarantee it came off as whiny and entitled.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
45 minutes is definitely a long-rear end commute.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
E: Nevermind.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anything under an hour in Dallas/DFW area is considered the norm.

Six million people with two north-south highways and two east-west highways. Plus all those assholes from the exurbs and Forth Worth commuting in.

I have two coworkers who live in Denton and commute to Downtown Dallas (40 miles)

My friend lives in Addison with a 10 minute commute, and took a job in Irving which is a 45 minute commute for a 20% pay raise.

As someone in your mid 20s I think a 1 hour commute each way is worth it if you're doing it to move your career forward for a year or two, but I can't imagine doing more than a 30 minute commute each way as a grown-rear end adult with two kids and a house to look after.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ithaqua posted:

That doesn't make sense. Presumably, you discussed working from home with your manager who agreed to it, or remote work is a standard perk that every developer has. If you didn't discuss it and it's not normal behavior, then that's 100% your fault.

Also a 45 minute commute is not considered long in most parts of the country and if you were complaining about it, I guarantee it came off as whiny and entitled.

I'm in the middle of Boston. I live right next to Fenway Park. I walk to and take the Green Line into and from work, which is how most people get to Red Sox games. 45 minutes outbound is typical for a game day. Multiply it by two if I'm going to Coolidge Corner and back.

As for working from home, I do it about as much as any other person does it at the company, and it's not uncommon at all. We have quite a few remote developers, from New York, San Francisco, London, etc. Hell, people take days off to move, to go to conferences, to take vacations, or to go to PAX/PAX East all the time. From what I can tell, I don't work less than my peers. I certainly may be biased or wrong, but I have no way to prove that :shrug:. But I've awakened the sleeping beast, and I don't wanna gently caress with the WFH honeypot mess anymore.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Pollyanna posted:

I'm in the middle of Boston. I live right next to Fenway Park. I walk to and take the Green Line into and from work, which is how most people get to Red Sox games. 45 minutes outbound is typical for a game day. Multiply it by two if I'm going to Coolidge Corner and back.

Where is work? I live in Brighton and work in Allston; super-easy walk commute. I had to take the green line every day for a month when I first moved here and it was awful, definitely try to move if you can.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have some real bump on a log coworkers who work from home often three days a week

Some days they have actual work to do, some days if you call the IP phone at home it just goes to voicemail :iiam:

Most days they're in the office they look like they're browsing ebay, so it looks like that's probably what they're doing when working from home, too. They never reply to group emails, never take proactive action, never speak up in meetings, never volunteer for anything. But they do work quickly to finish whatever task they're given, so they can go back to bidding on the latest gadget on ebay as fast as possible.

Technically they're doing their job, but they look lazy as gently caress and zero people are surprised when they get passed over for promotions and raises. If you're making more than the average income in the area, you're expected to take initiative and lead, not follow. The problem is, once you get labeled as a follower it's hard to change that impression. But technically, they're doing their job, and they're quite good at the limited group of things they're willing to tackle. But I've never ever seen them volunteer to tackle anything before without being asked or at least prompted to.

In your case it sounds like your boss has the impression that you're screwing around at work barely meeting basic goals, and wasting time goofing off on your video game hobby at work. And there's not a lot of confidence that you're going about solving your primary goals in an efficient manner (which might lead them to believe that you're finishing your goals fast but spending the rest of your time goofing off)

All of my side hobbies are strictly firewalled from my work stuff. When I work from home, I run my VPN from a dedicated VM that only has the VM software installed. I can't imagine actually installing personal software on a work PC.

Anyways, if your manager is noticing, it's not because they noticed, they're too busy for that poo poo. Someone else complained to their manager that they missed a deadline because X developer (you) didn't get them Y on time, and threw you under the bus about your game development hobby/side carrer (doesn't matter if it's true or not) and that developer's manager talked to your manager and gave them the filtered version of that story. The problem is your manager trusts his manager friend more than you, so you're kind of screwed. Looking for a new job and starting over sounds like a good plan at this point, or at least transferring out of that manager's group.

I had installed some personal software (folding@home) on a work computer when I first started working as a professional and was asked to remove it, and then his boss found me browsing slashdot a couple of times on breaks, and it sort of snowballed from there, finally I did something that wouldn't have gotten a well liked senior employee fired, but gave them enough cause to let me go. If you're already on a downward glideslope it's possible to turn things around, but if you're not perfectly sure what you're doing wrong it's going to be really hard to fix it.

I would uninstall any not-related work software from your computer, set any personal websites (gmail, facebook, etc) to 127.0.0.1 in your hosts file, and then show your boss some cool utilities you're working on to make everyone's life better at work. Or some commits to existing utilities in the workflow chain at work. Get him fixated on how helpful and useful you are and something he can brag to his boss about you for, instead of apologizing for you being a liability.

Pollyanna posted:

From what I can tell, I don't work less than my peers. I certainly may be biased or wrong, but I have no way to prove that :shrug:.

Always give 110% compared to your peers to account for observer bias. If someone is saying you're not a hard worker there's probably some truth to it.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 7, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Pollyanna posted:

Ah, well in that case at least it's a train/subway commute.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Series DD Funding posted:

Where is work? I live in Brighton and work in Allston; super-easy walk commute. I had to take the green line every day for a month when I first moved here and it was awful, definitely try to move if you can.

Kenmore to Downtown Crossing. Try taking it for about a year :gonk: I used to take the Orange Line in and it was maybe 10-15 minutes any time of the day, which was awesome, but I was also paying $1500 to live in a broom closet so gently caress that poo poo.

Pretty sure the right people can already triangulate who I am and where I work based off the information I've shared, so I'll stop the personal info there.

Hadlock posted:

I have some real bump on a log coworkers who work from home often three days a week

Some days they have actual work to do, some days if you call the IP phone at home it just goes to voicemail :iiam:

Most days they're in the office they look like they're browsing ebay, so it looks like that's probably what they're doing when working from home, too. They never reply to group emails, never take proactive action, never speak up in meetings, never volunteer for anything. But they do work quickly to finish whatever task they're given, so they can go back to bidding on the latest gadget on ebay as fast as possible.

Technically they're doing their job, but they look lazy as gently caress and zero people are surprised when they get passed over for promotions and raises. If you're making more than the average income in the area, you're expected to take initiative and lead, not follow. The problem is, once you get labeled as a follower it's hard to change that impression. But technically, they're doing their job, and they're quite good at the limited group of things they're willing to tackle. But I've never ever seen them volunteer to tackle anything before without being asked or at least prompted to.

In your case it sounds like your boss has the impression that you're screwing around at work barely meeting basic goals, and wasting time goofing off on your video game hobby at work. And there's not a lot of confidence that you're going about solving your primary goals in an efficient manner (which might lead them to believe that you're finishing your goals fast but spending the rest of your time goofing off)

All of my side hobbies are strictly firewalled from my work stuff. When I work from home, I run my VPN from a dedicated VM that only has the VM software installed. I can't imagine actually installing personal software on a work PC.

Anyways, if your manager is noticing, it's not because they noticed, they're too busy for that poo poo. Someone else complained to their manager that they missed a deadline because X developer (you) didn't get them Y on time, and threw you under the bus about your game development hobby/side carrer (doesn't matter if it's true or not) and that developer's manager talked to your manager and gave them the filtered version of that story. The problem is your manager trusts his manager friend more than you, so you're kind of screwed. Looking for a new job and starting over sounds like a good plan at this point, or at least transferring out of that manager's group.

I had installed some personal software (folding@home) on a work computer when I first started working as a professional and was asked to remove it, and then his boss found me browsing slashdot a couple of times on breaks, and it sort of snowballed from there, finally I did something that wouldn't have gotten a well liked senior employee fired, but gave them enough cause to let me go. If you're already on a downward glideslope it's possible to turn things around, but if you're not perfectly sure what you're doing wrong it's going to be really hard to fix it.

I would uninstall any not-related work software from your computer, set any personal websites (gmail, facebook, etc) to 127.0.0.1 in your hosts file, and then show your boss some cool utilities you're working on to make everyone's life better at work. Or some commits to existing utilities in the workflow chain at work. Get him fixated on how helpful and useful you are and something he can brag to his boss about you for, instead of apologizing for you being a liability.

I'm basically enacting a "no non-work stuff" policy from now on, which is a command line and bundler. I already restrict Facebook, SA, and any personal stuff to my phone. Dunno how I've looked up until now, but I'm not chancing unemployment before I jump ship.

As for working from home, I honestly don't know what to say except I really am working. Problem is, it's impossible to prove - whether or not people believe you on that is a combination of seniority and whether they're willing to pick on you, so gently caress it.

quote:

Always give 110% compared to your peers to account for observer bias. If someone is saying you're not a hard worker there's probably some truth to it.

So be it. Doesn't mean they're right. And I hate that kind of thinking, because it inevitably becomes a race to the bottom where the easiest way to win is to make the other person look bad. But this is a philosophical thing that just kinda sucks to talk about, so.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Problem is, it's impossible to prove - whether or not people believe you on that is a combination of seniority and whether they're willing to pick on you, so gently caress it.

It's not impossible to prove. If your team can't easily identify non-contributors, then they have a huge problem.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We don't have a good way to track performance at work either. We instituted a ticketing system last fall and that's helping. It's nice to be able to point to tickets and say "we have 4 people in our group, and I'm doing 85% of this kind of ticket, and 50% of all tickets combined" or some such. Not all workflows go through our ticketing system though.

Mainly, I just chime in on group emails every 90 minutes or so, or email my boss and one or two other coworkers directly my opinion of the topic. Something like "yes! I'm glad they're doing X, that will save us a bunch of time when we're doing Y next month." or "I wish they would do it this other way, because it's going to impact us when we try merging these two projects next year and the last time we tried doing unit conversions it took way longer than expected" or whatever. Proof that you're engaged and paying attention and not just watching youtube videos all day at home on how to make the perfect homemade mayonnaise or something..

I still browse slashdot/google news at work daily, mainly while I'm eating lunch at my desk, but I (I think) get away with it because once a month I poo poo out something that saves our group 10 man hours a week. I think my boss hates it but more often than not when he comes by I'm working on something productive so he's never brought it up.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

As for working from home, I honestly don't know what to say except I really am working. Problem is, it's impossible to prove - whether or not people believe you on that is a combination of seniority and whether they're willing to pick on you, so gently caress it.

It's called Git/SVN/Source Control logs. I hate working from home because It makes so really hard to talk to people in the office when I need to, and because it can be a massive distraction for me. But while logs like those are not the end all/be all to productivity, showing that you are doing stuff is a good start.

Do you talk to teammates? When i'm stuck on a project I'm working on (and I can't switch to another work related one), I sometimes have some side project solution open (like a scratch pad for code ideas) that could bloom into something I could use for work. But now I usually just get up and try talking to my coworkers about what I/They are doing (after first making sure they are available :v:). I'm my own team, but I have to coordinate my efforts with other teams so I try to check in and see what's up. It's also nice to, you know, get up and talk to people.

Hadlock posted:

We don't have a good way to track performance at work either. We instituted a ticketing system last fall and that's helping. It's nice to be able to point to tickets and say "we have 4 people in our group, and I'm doing 85% of this kind of ticket, and 50% of all tickets combined" or some such. Not all workflows go through our ticketing system though.

The funny thing is, I've built dashboards for analyzing our bug trackers, building out charts and analytics based on our bugs. Tracking both the bugs themselves, as well as the devs who work on them, so you can get a sense of who's doing what, how quickly bugs are assigned get fixed, how often they get sent back, and so on. I remember being asked by a team lead about how my progress could have been tracked on the site and I said "Well, if I didn't build it, you would be looking at a white screen right now :v:"

Hadlock posted:

I still browse slashdot/google news at work daily, mainly while I'm eating lunch at my desk, but I (I think) get away with it because once a month I poo poo out something that saves our group 10 man hours a week. I think my boss hates it but more often than not when he comes by I'm working on something productive so he's never brought it up.

Going to go out on a limb that most people in an office, any office, do this stuff. Including your Boss. So the idea of getting yelled at for something they are doing seems weird. I mean, if that's all you did and you could not show what else you've done at all, then that would be a legit issue. I leave SA or Twitter open on my desktop and I don't really care who notices, because I know I can show the work I'm doing and have done. The only time it gets weird is if you're actively working on side, non-work related projects, since then you could be doing your job and you're not. So then it's harder to explain.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Pollyanna posted:

Are you guys not using any version control? Didn't you mention devops? I'm probably misunderstanding something ...

Sometimes when I read this thread I dream of being a farmer ...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Err, yeah, we do use git and Github. There's commit history and everything, and we've also got a ticketing system to track who's doing what tickets. I don't think mine progress any differently than other people's, and my commit history seems perfectly normal to me. At least, no one has complained about it. :shrug:

And yeah, I think what bugs me the most about the personal-stuff-on-computer thing is that my manager was literally looking over my shoulder and then passive aggressively chided me for it while simultaneously being totally wrong. That just pisses me off.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

totally wrong.

So you didn't have personal stuff installed on your work computer?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A few things:

1: a 45 minute commute is both really long, and not at all out of the ordinary; it's allowed to be both.

2: working from home is something that *ought* to be fine in most work environments in our industry, but isn't always, and it is of course up to you to be sure that it is okay before you do so

3: if I worked somewhere that 1-2 days a week of working from home wasn't *completely* normal, and someone I worked with did so anyway because of their arduous commute when they lived like, 2-3 miles from the office, that would not incline me to think highly of that person

4: that's walkable in 45 minutes or less, and also bicycles are a thing in Boston, at least this time of year

5: while it's certainly not a bad idea to avoid it, if having any personal things on your work computer or spending some amount of time at work doing personal things is not okay in your workplace, that's lovely and your workplace is lovely

6: if you're regularly making a point of replying to group emails or whatever on some periodic regular basis so that it will be apparent to other people that you're getting poo poo done, and that is actually necessary to do so, that's lovely and your workplace is lovely

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, just cause it's normal for certain situations doesn't mean I have to like it.

I'm not exactly proud of the working from home thing, and I'm not interested in keeping that pattern going anyway. I'll be making some schedule adjustments so that I don't get so tired/burned out over the week.

I need a bike.

I think it's more the combination of a bunch of little things at the same time that's causing the issues. Death by a thousand cuts and all.

As for communication, we all communicate over Slack, and we're all reachable at any point in time. We even have pager duty (yes, I take pager duty, yes, I take it very seriously). I try and pair up with other engineers when the situation calls for it, but I've also been told to loop in the people in my team first and foremost, of which there are currently two besides me and one of which is said manager, so I don't do it outside of my team often.

Ithaqua posted:

So you didn't have personal stuff installed on your work computer?

I wasn't working on personal stuff in a clear and flagrant abandonment of my responsibilities just because I opened a tab I didn't quite recognize, go "oh", and subsequently close it.

vvv Fair 'nuff. I'm touchy these days.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 8, 2015

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

To be clear, not all of that (or maybe even most of it) was directed at you; much of it at others involved in the conversation. You're absolutely right that just because 45 minutes is a normal commute for a lot of people doesn't mean you have to like it; in fact I think a great many more people should find it unacceptable.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I asked about applying for jobs from a distance a while back and didn't get a chance to reply, so thanks for letting me know y'alls experiences with that.

So I'm tweaking up my projects for inclusion on my resume as i start applying for jobs, but I'm not sure the code for one will be accessible, just because it was built to learn Angular and ASP.NET, along with some other stuff. It's just reasonably complete; it's a giant Visual Studio project that's useless without the database, and because I spent a lot of time learning VS and ASP.NET generally, there are a lot of weird artifacts floating in it that don't really impact anything, but it feels huge and bulky and likely doesn't follow anything close to best practices. I'm willing to discuss my experience and send relevant code samples to people, but I just don't want to put the whole thing on Github. I in fact chose the wrong technology for the project if I actually wanted to do it as a production application (it did its purpose, teaching me the basics of ASP.NET and Angular, though), so there's so much extra baggage that it's kind of excessive. I'm definitely willing to talk about the mistakes and what I learned. The ASP.NET stuff is basically a thin layer between the database and the browser, and I just let Angular do most of the view work, so it's pretty boring C# code.

But there are only going to be three projects on the resume, if only because dissertation writing is consuming a lot of my time and I'm just not going to be able to seriously finish some other projects any time soon. One is a truth-table generator, the other a sparkly web app that does a lot of fancy math and data stuff in the backend, and the third this ASP.NET site. Would not making the source for the ASP.NET site available be bad, or is it fine?

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 8, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I asked about applying for jobs from a distance a while back and didn't get a chance to reply, so thanks for letting me know y'alls experiences with that.

So I'm tweaking up my projects for inclusion on my resume as i start applying for jobs, but I'm not sure the code for one will be accessible, just because it was built to learn Angular and ASP.NET, along with some other stuff. It's just reasonably complete; it's a giant Visual Studio project that's useless without the database, and because I spent a lot of time learning VS and ASP.NET generally, there are a lot of weird artifacts floating in it that don't really impact anything, but it feels huge and bulky and likely doesn't follow anything close to best practices. I'm willing to discuss my experience and send relevant code samples to people, but I just don't want to put the whole thing on Github. I in fact chose the wrong technology for the project if I actually wanted to do it as a production application (it did its purpose, teaching me the basics of ASP.NET and Angular, though), so there's so much extra baggage that it's kind of excessive. I'm definitely willing to talk about the mistakes and what I learned. The ASP.NET stuff is basically a thin layer between the database and the browser, and I just let Angular do most of the view work, so it's pretty boring C# code.

But there are only going to be three projects on the resume, if only because dissertation writing is consuming a lot of my time and I'm just not going to be able to seriously finish some other projects any time soon. One is a truth-table generator, the other a sparkly web app that does a lot of fancy math and data stuff in the backend, and the third this ASP.NET site. Would not making the source for the ASP.NET site available be bad, or is it fine?

Well, it's less impressive if they can't see it working. If you want to show off your Angular skills, and not the ASP.NET stuff, maybe try converting the database tables into JSON files? Explain WHY they are JSON files (for ease of demo), and that you understand why a DB might be a better solution in a production environment.

Either that, or get a free AWS server which hosts a REST API that returns the table data, and include connection details in your project. Sure, it'll be slow, but should work for demonstration purposes.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Skandranon posted:

Well, it's less impressive if they can't see it working. If you want to show off your Angular skills, and not the ASP.NET stuff, maybe try converting the database tables into JSON files? Explain WHY they are JSON files (for ease of demo), and that you understand why a DB might be a better solution in a production environment.

Either that, or get a free AWS server which hosts a REST API that returns the table data, and include connection details in your project. Sure, it'll be slow, but should work for demonstration purposes.
Oh, the other web app is already up on an AWS server and it's really the big one I want to show off. The other projects are just to show that I have something more than that.

Also, it uses a specific feature of Mongo (yeah I know lots of people don't like it, but it's very convenient for GeoJSON and searches within polygons) so I'm not sure what I'd need to do to replace that functionality.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 8, 2015

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
My commute most days is nearly two hours each way. :shepicide:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Christ almighty, gently caress that. I would go insane if that was my commute.

Another thing I don't like is that I'm way too anxious to ask for advice from my manager-slash-mentor because I feel like it'll frustrate them further somehow and they'll think I can't learn. Just more venting, but sighhhhh.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pollyanna posted:

Christ almighty, gently caress that. I would go insane if that was my commute.

Another thing I don't like is that I'm way too anxious to ask for advice from my manager-slash-mentor because I feel like it'll frustrate them further somehow and they'll think I can't learn. Just more venting, but sighhhhh.

I had an internship where I was getting these types of mixed messages and felt terrified of doing anything. They ultimately ended up firing me and I never thought I'd be so happy to be fired. Went right back to my old boss who hired me immediately + a raise from where I left.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Here's another example of that lack of confidence in my manager loving things up: I just had an instance where in standup we decided that it may be best to go with a staging branch for one of our projects instead of waiting on parameterization of chatops commands to be implemented, which is currently blocked. I notified people in the project's channel about the decision to move, and one of the people in the room brought up a good point about it being too difficult to coordinate among different engineers and that the current way of doing it is more flexible and works fine as is. Right there, I thought "oh no, this is another wrench in getting this ticket resolved, I should ask <manager> for advice on whether to tell that person they have a point or if I should just go ahead and tell them I agree/disagree, oh wait <manager> doesn't like me asking what to do instead of just going for it but I already messaged them on Slack I'm in trouble nooo". I finally realized I agree with that person and I believe it is best to wait for parameterization instead. Now, I am scared that the feedback from my manager will be that 1. I unnecessarily asked them for advice when I had resolved(?) the problem on my own, and 2. that I made a decision that would ultimately delay the ticket's completion and result in me waiting on someone else to be blocked, hence downtime. I feel like no matter what I do I'll piss them off.

It feels like the push for the staging branch was born out of a need to be unblocked and get a ticket completed rather than adding something of real value and convenience. That's an awful way of thinking, but I'm pressured into it because my manager got pissy about me "doing side projects".

Should I just be constantly working no matter what? I don't just gently caress around when I have "downtime", I have a book on being a newbie software dev I'm reading and a book on linear algebra I'm in the middle of, I try to be productive, but I'm scared to be seen consuming them for fear of coming off like I'm not doing work. Like, right now I need someone to approve my PR before I can merge it, and I asked them over an hour and a half ago and I've gotten no response from them on Slack. It makes me worried and anxious that that downtime will be used against me and I start getting impatient over getting the go ahead to deploy.

This paranoia and doubt is not worth the trouble. I won't let it gently caress me up at my next job.

Necc0 posted:

I had an internship where I was getting these types of mixed messages and felt terrified of doing anything. They ultimately ended up firing me and I never thought I'd be so happy to be fired. Went right back to my old boss who hired me immediately + a raise from where I left.

Thankfully, I'll quit before that happens.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 8, 2015

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Like, right now I need someone to approve my PR before I can merge it, and I asked them over an hour and a half ago and I've gotten no response from them on Slack.

That's what pull requests are for. They're asynchronous. There's not a backlog where you can grab the next unassigned task and start working on it?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kumquat posted:

My commute most days is nearly two hours each way. :shepicide:

I've wondered this before, if you're spending 4 hours a day on the road, what's stopping you from renting a crappy $400 a month apartment down the street from the office and furnishing it with a cot, easy chair and TV for use during the week? If you leave the office at 5 and get home at 7, that gives you three hours a day of personal time before 10pm, then wake up at 6 to leave the house at 7 to make it to work at 9. Just doing laundry and the dishes takes maybe three hours a week, that represents 20% of your free time. Good luck joining a club or having drinks with friends after work, let alone a social life. Even at $2/gal I think having a second home would be cheaper than driving. Plus the ability to have a social life. God drat.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
I don't think many people are commuting for 2 hours to an office that has $400 a month apartments nearby.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

zerofunk posted:

I don't think many people are commuting for 2 hours to an office that has $400 a month apartments nearby.

Or if they are, getting such an apartment isn't an option anyways. That 3 hours with family/kids/etc at home can be critical.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

I've wondered this before, if you're spending 4 hours a day on the road, what's stopping you from renting a crappy $400 a month apartment down the street from the office and furnishing it with a cot, easy chair and TV for use during the week? If you leave the office at 5 and get home at 7, that gives you three hours a day of personal time before 10pm, then wake up at 6 to leave the house at 7 to make it to work at 9. Just doing laundry and the dishes takes maybe three hours a week, that represents 20% of your free time. Good luck joining a club or having drinks with friends after work, let alone a social life. Even at $2/gal I think having a second home would be cheaper than driving. Plus the ability to have a social life. God drat.

The entire reason we have awful commutes like that is because the price of living nearer to work is infeasible. The rent I pay on a 2500 sq. ft. house in the boonies of northwestern New Jersey would get me a 500 sq. ft. studio apartment in NYC or maybe a decent 1 bedroom apartment across the river in Hoboken or Jersey City. Luckily, I don't have to commute regularly. It's about an hour by bus with no traffic (which is... never, and terrifyingly variable. It can take an hour, or it can take 2+. Not reliable enough to use, basically.), or 2 - 2.5 by train, depending on where in the city I have to go.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ithaqua posted:

That's what pull requests are for. They're asynchronous. There's not a backlog where you can grab the next unassigned task and start working on it?

Yeah, that's the thing. They're async, so you have to do some waiting, but I end up feeling like it's a problem to do so when it really isn't. In just don't want something taking a while to automatically be translated as "you're being lazy again".

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, that's the thing. They're async, so you have to do some waiting, but I end up feeling like it's a problem to do so when it really isn't. In just don't want something taking a while to automatically be translated as "you're being lazy again".

So do something else while you wait? Unless the other issues depend on the first PR, nothing should be stopping you from submitting other PRs and fixing other issues.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Good luck finding a 400 dollar apartment near Newbury street in Boston. My commute is temporary because I just started this job. Gonna save up an emergency fund and then look for apartments.
Money wise it's fine because I take a bus into Boston and my work reimburses up to 125 dollars of travel every month.

I forgot to count in the time it takes me to get from home to the bus station, and from the bus station to work. So really my commute is more like 3ish hours every day. I've been doing this since like May when I started my bootcamp, sometimes staying until the last bus, getting home at 1130 and waking up at 545 to catch the morning bus.

I'm really looking forward to moving and not contributing to my own burnout anymore.

Somehow I've still found the time to hang out with friends, attend hackathons and meet ups, and date between all of this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Drastic Actions posted:

So do something else while you wait? Unless the other issues depend on the first PR, nothing should be stopping you from submitting other PRs and fixing other issues.

Right. You produced a pull request. Now you're blocking, waiting for the pull request to be consumed. Don't do that; think of the pull request as going into a queue. Once it's enqueued, you can continue working on new tasks. There's nothing stopping you from having 2, or 3, or 37 pull requests open.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

The entire reason we have awful commutes like that is because the price of living nearer to work is infeasible. The rent I pay on a 2500 sq. ft. house in the boonies of northwestern New Jersey would get me a 500 sq. ft. studio apartment in NYC or maybe a decent 1 bedroom apartment across the river in Hoboken or Jersey City. Luckily, I don't have to commute regularly. It's about an hour by bus with no traffic (which is... never, and terrifyingly variable. It can take an hour, or it can take 2+. Not reliable enough to use, basically.), or 2 - 2.5 by train, depending on where in the city I have to go.

Tell me more about traveling to NYC from 2 hours away Ithaqua. I'm about to accept an offer for a company in Soho and I live 30 minutes outside of Philly.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ithaqua posted:

Right. You produced a pull request. Now you're blocking, waiting for the pull request to be consumed. Don't do that; think of the pull request as going into a queue. Once it's enqueued, you can continue working on new tasks. There's nothing stopping you from having 2, or 3, or 37 pull requests open.

Unless you've run out of tickets to work on, in which case you bug your manager for more or ask co-workers if they want to get rid of some of theirs. If all of that fails, then ask your manager what you should be doing.

(not you specifically Ithaqua, the general "you")

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pollyanna please post in the oldie thread or make your own in BFC or something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Have I graduated? :bubblewoop: I'll continue the discussion elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

aBagorn posted:

Tell me more about traveling to NYC from 2 hours away Ithaqua. I'm about to accept an offer for a company in Soho and I live 30 minutes outside of Philly.

Move. Seriously. It's going to suck. Amtrak might be your best bet. I'm tucked away in the northwest corner (2 hours from Philly), so my commuting experience is nothing like yours will be.