Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You should be able to, and it makes the most sense - you dealt with the immediate threat of ancient Vint, now you can more or less freely explore Deep Roads and Avvar lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GuyUpNorth posted:

You should be able to, and it makes the most sense - you dealt with the immediate threat of ancient Vint, now you can more or less freely explore Deep Roads and Avvar lands.

Not tot mention that a key plot point of Descent works best after you've wrapped up Varric's companion quest.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SubponticatePoster posted:

You don't have to lose Cass though, just go talk to her immediately post game and tell her you want her to stick around. They're supposedly making this work in Trespasser somehow so that if Viv or Cass are wearing a funny hat you can still take them along. Having the Divine with you murdering folks is pretty :black101:

Can I continue to sleep with the Divine?

Can I marry the Divine?

If I divorce the Divine what do I get half of?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

grack posted:

Can I continue to sleep with the Divine?

Can I marry the Divine?

If I divorce the Divine what do I get half of?

These questions are actually relevant to me right now because my super faithful templar is dating Cass and I can't decide if we'd be happier confirming my girlfriend as pope or putting one of the other ladies on the throne so we can keep going on smutty romantic dates.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I got murderpope Leliana both playthroughs somehow :ohdear:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Crow Jane posted:

I got murderpope Leliana both playthroughs somehow :ohdear:

I endorsed Cass at every turn and this happened to me too. I think I agreed with Leliana's pragmatism one too many times in the earlygame or something. Or maybe it was allying with both the mages and grey wardens. Also never triggered the blackwall reveal but I can't remember if I visited the barn much in the lategame so that one might be on me.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Weirdly, I had the opposite problem; I pushed for Leliana as much as I could and made zero decisions Cass approved of (I abolished the Templars, kept the Grey Wardens around, saved Celene and generally poo poo all over the Chantry whenever possible) and she still ended up Divine.

I kinda wished she'd stuck around for Jaws of Hakkon, though. Even when romancing Blackwall he's just such a drat sadsack.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

^^^^ You can ask Cassandra to stick around post end-game. You need to talk to her in her normal spot.

Blasmeister posted:

I endorsed Cass at every turn and this happened to me too. I think I agreed with Leliana's pragmatism one too many times in the earlygame or something. Or maybe it was allying with both the mages and grey wardens. Also never triggered the blackwall reveal but I can't remember if I visited the barn much in the lategame so that one might be on me.

These are both fairly big boosts to Leliana and minuses for both Vivienne and Cassandra.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 7, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Don't tell me you put Briala in charge as well?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

BrianWilly posted:

Don't tell me you put Briala in charge as well?

Was this to me? I reunited her and Celene.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 7, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Never encourage Leliana, never support her. She's an extremely effective agent, but the lady is just bonkers. Like, good or evil it doesn't matter, she's nuts and always has been.

Remember that the very first time you meet her in DA: O, she tells you that she has to come along on your quest because God Told Her To.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats perfectly believable considering going with the warden results in her becoming the divine

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Never encourage Leliana, never support her. She's an extremely effective agent, but the lady is just bonkers. Like, good or evil it doesn't matter, she's nuts and always has been.

Remember that the very first time you meet her in DA: O, she tells you that she has to come along on your quest because God Told Her To.

Like real life, the word is still out on whether the Maker "exists" in Dragon Age.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Skippy McPants posted:

Doesn't she tell you that she made that up if you get a good enough relationship with her?

Leilana always struck me as someone whose loyalty is to the institution of the Chantry, and not the Maker.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Thor-Stryker posted:

Like real life, the word is still out on whether the Maker "exists" in Dragon Age.

The games are deliberate in keeping the Maker's existence vague. At least until now when things like the origin of the Blight, the invasion of the Golden City, the titans, and the elven pantheon are becoming central to the plot.

Fangz posted:

Doesn't she tell you that she made that up if you get a good enough relationship with her?

She says it was something she probably just told herself because she wanted to be in something important for once. Whether or not it really meant anything is left vague.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 7, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I was planning on both putting Gaspard in charge and recruiting the Grey Wardens this run. Man Cole's gonna take a huge approval hit. But exiling the Wardens means Blackwall's gonna hate me, so.

Gaspard is the least scumbag option of the three anyway, isn't he? I've still never let Celene die.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was planning on both putting Gaspard in charge and recruiting the Grey Wardens this run. Man Cole's gonna take a huge approval hit. But exiling the Wardens means Blackwall's gonna hate me, so.

Gaspard is the least scumbag option of the three anyway, isn't he? I've still never let Celene die.

I think there was a bit in the books were he tried getting university scholars to define elfs as animals and having sex with one defined as bestiality. But its probably more to do with knocking down Celene a peg than pure racism so...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gaspard, being both the most warlike and the least competent at the Game, feels like the most scumbag option, actually, if you care about peace and stability.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gaspard is polite and friendly with the Inquisitor, but you can pull him aside and have a chat about his plans for the future. I dunno how crowning him plays out, but he intends to dissemble the Orlesian political system, declare himself autocrat, and go to war with all the neighbors as soon as Corypheus is dealt with.

In addition, the blackmail material you get on him is him using peace talks to stage a military coup. Celene and Briala ain't rosy, but I don't think they really compare. He's also kind of incompetent, as Celene had already anticipated the coup and would have disgraced him and ended the war if there hadn't been an assassin.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 7, 2015

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Holy poo poo there's so much to do in this game. According to my saves it's been six hours of gameplay since I got to Skyhold and started juggling wartable missions, companion dialog, agonizing over the specialization chioce.

I... haven't actually left Skyhold in those six hours. :ohdear:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

After what feels like eons, I've finally heard some new dialogue between Blackwall and Vivienne.

They hate each other, but their perspectives are like someone who works in a non-profit and someone who works in the legislature, so I can understand both of their arguments. But they don't see the value of each other's perspectives, so they hate each other. I wish companions would get into actual fights because I want Blackwall to break Vivienne's teeth sometimes.

edit: And then Cole comes out and tells everyone that Vivienne is afraid of caring because she sees it as weakness, but she does care, even about him. :kimchi: I wonder how much Viv is going to feature in later stuff, considering she's entirely optional.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 7, 2015

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure Vivienne is invincible or something so I doubt thats how the fight would go down......

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Gaspard is a poo poo head but so is Celene, so I always just went with Briala. Elf supremacy.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Nephthys posted:

I'm pretty sure Vivienne is invincible or something so I doubt thats how the fight would go down......

Nah, the AI can't run a Knight Enchanter properly.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Not go mention, Blackwall is more or less invincible himself. They'd be just chipping away at each other for eternity.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Byers2142 posted:

Nah, the AI can't run a Knight Enchanter properly.

Disable everything else besides your two invincibility abilities and Viv does a passable job herself.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Holy poo poo there's so much to do in this game. According to my saves it's been six hours of gameplay since I got to Skyhold and started juggling wartable missions, companion dialog, agonizing over the specialization chioce.

I... haven't actually left Skyhold in those six hours. :ohdear:

My first few Skyhold visits took hours too. Bioware excels at making home bases filled with interesting dialogue.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I really liked that the advisors would start to banter at each other if you were taking a while at the war table. I loaded up a post-game save to play Descent before the new DLC, and Cullen and Josie started congratulating Leliana on the whole becoming Divine thing.

I am so excited about this new DLC, you guys. Bring on the melodrama.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crow Jane posted:

Not go mention, Blackwall is more or less invincible himself. They'd be just chipping away at each other for eternity.

Spirit Blade wrecks/wrecked guard though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hahahah I don't know which patch put this in, but I was going through one of my early game characters and if you hang around in the Hinterlands very long (Gain too many levels? Too much Power? Complete too many sidequests?), Solas prompts you and Cassandra to go to Val Royeux to deal with the plot in a voiceover that was clearly recorded in a later session.

So, when does new DLC usually become available on the release date? Early morning? Mid-afternoon?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hrm. Finished one of my Nightmare playthroughs, but no achievement. I wonder if I mistakenly lowered the difficulty at one point or didn't start it at nightmare like I thought and simply forgot, or if it's just a bit buggy like some of the other achievements have been.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

I really liked that the advisors would start to banter at each other if you were taking a while at the war table. I loaded up a post-game save to play Descent before the new DLC, and Cullen and Josie started congratulating Leliana on the whole becoming Divine thing.

I am so excited about this new DLC, you guys. Bring on the melodrama.

The banter where Leliana tells Cullen to "Hush, just look pretty!" after WEWH is by far the best advisor banter.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Should I be regretting making my main a mage? Damage output is poo poo, doesn't seem to be any actual crowd control in sight, there just doesn't seem to be anything satisfying about this class and the only thing I exist to do is throw barriers. Am I missing something? Sure I get that mages were OP in DAO but I just feel like dead weight in my own party.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Should I be regretting making my main a mage? Damage output is poo poo, doesn't seem to be any actual crowd control in sight, there just doesn't seem to be anything satisfying about this class and the only thing I exist to do is throw barriers. Am I missing something? Sure I get that mages were OP in DAO but I just feel like dead weight in my own party.

What skills are you using? Also, your level?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Come'on, man, Rift Mage is hilarious.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Has the bard in Val Royeaux always sung the tavern songs in French and I just didn't notice until now, or was that a new thing added in the patch?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Fangz posted:

Leilana always struck me as someone whose loyalty is to the institution of the Chantry, and not the Maker.

That Guardian spirit or whatever it's called in Origins pretty much tells Leliana that she's full of poo poo and Leli gets extremely flustered when confronted.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

That Guardian spirit or whatever it's called in Origins pretty much tells Leliana that she's full of poo poo and Leli gets extremely flustered when confronted.

To be fair, the Guardian challenges everyone's beliefs, usually in the form of "What if you're wrong about this core part of your identity?"

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Mage is loving ridiculous. Speccing for passive attributes and using chain lightning/static cage/immolate for damage and crowd control is awesome. Add in Fade Walk for maneuverability and added chill -- mage is fun and mobs get wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Has the bard in Val Royeaux always sung the tavern songs in French and I just didn't notice until now, or was that a new thing added in the patch?

That was always there. The one in Halamshiral sings in French too. I love sitting there just listening to her.

• Locked thread