Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

EasyEW posted:

Yep, the character that the entire strip still revolves around has been dead since 2007, which (thanks to the time jump) would be eighteen years in storyline time. :suicide:

Now I want to see some sort of Buckley and Batuik comics cage match. Mr Move-On vs The Sad Sack. Or, if I wasn't so damned tired from working 3 double shifts I'd be on a FW/loss.jpg edit right now (has that been done?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

This is just the kind of thing you have to expect when you try to escape rear end-first.

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

RainbowCake posted:

I forget, has Michael met Futurewife yet? He's like a year or two older, right? My knowledge of FOOBlore is not strong.

Oh yeah, one of the things Lynn has done with the FOOB reboot was show that Michael and Deanna were totally kid-cute on each other from the start. He even got teased for giving her a valentine.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

If I have to suffer seeing Gilchrist art in the wild, so do you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope you put quotation marks around the "arts" on every cover.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Howard Beale posted:

Oh yeah, one of the things Lynn has done with the FOOB reboot was show that Michael and Deanna were totally kid-cute on each other from the start. He even got teased for giving her a valentine.

The in-comic event that brought them two together was Deanna was in a car wreck, and Micheal saved her from it.
In real life, the wreck happened, but Micheal was just a photographer, and took pictures of the wreck. Deanna did not survive. He didn't learn she was in that wreck until later, and it really tore him up.
I don't believe any of her children really talk to her anymore.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

The in-comic event that brought them two together was Deanna was in a car wreck, and Micheal saved her from it.
In real life, the wreck happened, but Micheal was just a photographer, and took pictures of the wreck. Deanna did not survive. He didn't learn she was in that wreck until later, and it really tore him up.
I don't believe any of her children really talk to her anymore.

It also bears mentioning that this plotline was conceived some time after the real Michael came out of the closet.
There's being unable to accept your child's sexuality and then there's this.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Mary is an expert knob polisher.

Rex Morgan MD

CK never updated Sunday's and I had to go to a couple sites to find one with Sunday's, so that's why it's small and missing the drop panels.

Secret Agent X-9

X-9's got some real flexibility there.

Apartment 3-G

So I guess he was supposed to be dead but got found and healed by some Tibetan monks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Dim light of dawn' hahahh

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"gently caress off, Tim. I'm contacting the mothership"

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Today I give thanks to those that labor to bring us comics every day! Happy Comic-Postin' Labor Day!

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Fritzi Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)

Wee Pals

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

That's right , Toby, your husband will never expect you went to literally the most obvious person who lived within 500 feet of your condo

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Safe Havens: CROSSOVER

Dustin

On the Fastrack: The Wedding

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set takes only memories. And promotional items.

Working Daze does one of its more roundabout "character has characteristic" jokes.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix steps on a butterfly.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Wall o' comics as I was too hungover yesterday to even find the power switch on the computer. It's all good now, though. I can happily say the Tequila demons have been demolished.

Jane's World

The vegan menace?

That's really pushing the Maine accent there, Wiley, and I swear, the Farmer's Almanac says that every drat year.

Kliban

9 Chickweed Lane 9/6/2004

Is.. Is that a dog with tiny horns?

9 Chickweed Lane 9/7/2004

Zits

History is going to be, like, the "History Of Killing Things", right?

Well that's kind of depressing. And I thought "crikey" was a strictly Australian thing?

Mark Trail later because I'm on Amish Internet here at the lake, and Comics Kingdom refuses to zoom, and/or give me an image for some reason.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Just so you know it's not me doing it this time, Bloom County skipped a day.

Skippy (July 9, 1928)

Peanuts (September 9, 1968)

In case you've forgotten (or never knew): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfQvIDTguNE

1968 was a weird-rear end year.

Funky Winkerbean

Summer makes her first appearance in six months to give her dad a heart attack. This can only end in tears. Or to put it slightly differently, this drat well better end in tears.

But there's no topping the pros today...

Josh @ Comics Curmudgeon posted:

AT LAST

THE DAY IS HERE

THE DAY WHEN THE LIVING FINALLY OVERTHROW THE TYRANNY OF THE DEAD

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 9-10, 1927)

Thimble Theater (March 26, 1929)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

"Dad, we haven't had a VCR for a decade, and plus, they're Betamax."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Do it! DO IT! I am going to be so frustrated when this ends in a non-reveal or in Les convincing her to keep the tapes, but until then there's a brief flicker of hope that someone will finally tell Les it's time to move on and by god I'm going to cherish it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Jesus, Les, just pay some guy to transfer them to digital.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Why did he say Lisa and not "Your mom?"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

Do it! DO IT! I am going to be so frustrated when this ends in a non-reveal or in Les convincing her to keep the tapes, but until then there's a brief flicker of hope that someone will finally tell Les it's time to move on and by god I'm going to cherish it.

There's no way. Not the sacred relics of Saint Lisa.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Jesus, Les, just pay some guy to transfer them to digital.

Who else is willing to bet that's what's happening?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Summer makes her first appearance in six months to give her dad a heart attack. This can only end in tears. Or to put it slightly differently, this drat well better end in tears.

Good for her. Letters and videos from the dead can be quite painful for the living. You want to move on and live your life, but year after year you have this message from your departed loved one you have to sit through to bring back all that grief. Worse yet, is mothers tend to have hopes and dreams for their offspring that don't always pan out in real life. A living mom can observe how things are going and adjust her expectations accordingly, but not so with a dead mom. You're a teen and she's talking about you getting into dating or having your first kiss or going to prom, but you're kind of a late bloomer or socially awkward and dating hasn't really happened for you yet. Mom's mentioning how she's sure you'll have a great time on the big new life adventure that is college, but you decided college isn't for you. Maybe you're in your thirties and Dead Video Mom has assumed you're married with kids by now, but... nope! Oh, hey! You are getting married and here's your video all about how she's so proud and she's sure you and your handsome new husband will live happily ever after, except she never knew that you're a lesbian.

Fun times, disappointing a mother who's been dead for 20 years.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

Good for her. Letters and videos from the dead can be quite painful for the living. You want to move on and live your life, but year after year you have this message from your departed loved one you have to sit through to bring back all that grief. Worse yet, is mothers tend to have hopes and dreams for their offspring that don't always pan out in real life. A living mom can observe how things are going and adjust her expectations accordingly, but not so with a dead mom. You're a teen and she's talking about you getting into dating or having your first kiss or going to prom, but you're kind of a late bloomer or socially awkward and dating hasn't really happened for you yet. Mom's mentioning how she's sure you'll have a great time on the big new life adventure that is college, but you decided college isn't for you. Maybe you're in your thirties and Dead Video Mom has assumed you're married with kids by now, but... nope! Oh, hey! You are getting married and here's your video all about how she's so proud and she's sure you and your handsome new husband will live happily ever after, except she never knew that you're a lesbian.

Fun times, disappointing a mother who's been dead for 20 years.

There's an episode of This American Life about this exactly, where the daughter decides to throw out the letters from her dead mom for exactly this reason. That won't happen here, unless there's a final video instructing the daughter to do it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Something tells me this guy isn't on the up-and-up, but what?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Oh god he's setting us up with false hope. :ohdear:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Alterian posted:

Why did he say Lisa and not "Your mom?"
That's disturbing.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh god he's setting us up with false hope. :ohdear:

Either she's already converted Lisa's videos to digital format (where they've been uploaded to ShmooTube where they have ONE BILLION VIEWS because LISA or Lisa's last video was "Now throw this poo poo out and stop living in the past or you'll end up like your father."

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

EasyEW posted:

In case you've forgotten (or never knew): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfQvIDTguNE

1968 was a weird-rear end year.
Some people may be familiar with Tiny Tim through SpongeBob. The very first episode featured this song.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Green Intern posted:

Something tells me this guy isn't on the up-and-up, but what?

He's fabricating the hate mail to himself as a way of getting up close and cozy with the mayor. At least, that's my prediction.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SomeMathGuy posted:

You know that she just transferred them to some electronic file and put them on the cloud so that Baldie can live forever. With luck, though, she played them on a lovely TV, videotaped them with a camera, then ran them through a lovely .mpeg algorithm with the compression cranked to the max.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Aaand we're well and truly into the poo poo Peanuts now, where 90% of the strips follow this formula:

1. Snoopy does <THING DOGS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO DO>
2. Snoopy mugs for the readers
3. Breaking the fourth wall, Snoopy explains <THING DOGS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO DO>
4. At the same time, Snoopy makes some reference to a topical thing from 1968 which immediately makes the strip feel dated.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 7, 2015

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Howard Beale posted:

That was part of the original run, though somewhat more subtle. I remember this strip from books I read as a kid, because as boy myself I thought it was a really weird way for a boy to act.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Taking a break from posting this week, due to travel. If anyone wants to pick up Ripley's for the next few days, go for it; if not, I'll do a catch-up post when I get back.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I could buy and sell this whole thread, you guys are Chump Change Comix.

Pooch Café

I always wondered if birds got tired of flying and would prefer to walk everywhere if they could. It looks like a lot of work.

Ballard Street

1940s cartoon wallet moths spotted

The Creeps

The tape recorder makes a return appearance. Continuity in this strip is puzzling sometimes, Tumor Creep got his fingers back a month ago and it was never discussed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

YES DO IT YOU MISERABLE gently caress, FLUSH HER ROTTED CORPSE DOWN THE TOILET AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIVES.

• Locked thread